Should we use our draft capital for a “top college QB”?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Did you even read it Sun? They need to take a QB with their first pick, or one of their 1st rounders if it's a guy they are targeting, period. I'm talking about how I want to see how Geno plays the rest of the year to justify that Pete and John could sign him to an extension. I don't want them to sign him to an extension at all. Geezus man, reading, try it sometime.
The guy is balling out, I get it. I just don't want Pete and John to fall in love with guy to where they decide that HE is the future QB of the team. No

Do I need to spell it out any more????? DRAFT....A.....QB.....WITH......A.....FIRST.......ROUND....PICK. DO.....NOT......SIGN.....GENO......TO.....A......BIG.....CONTRACT.

Does that make sense to you??????

Last edited:

m0ng0

Reaction score
I hope they draft a QB in the spot and round they want, I'm hoping there guy is mid second round but if they take their guy with first pick so be it. I don't want to see them trade all that draft capitol they acquired to get their guy but if they do? Oh well it's not my backside on the line and they have earned my trust.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
What makes this a need? The Seahawks have many picks and many weaknesses to shore up. Why is drafting a quarterback with the first of many picks a need? What if a generational pass rusher is available? What if JS/PC and the team's scouts don't believe in the best QB available when the Hawks are on the clock? Why should the team constrain themselves to the limited absolutist style of thinking espoused by the uneducated-uninformed fans who were screaming for Baker Mayfield?

You have been reading too much of the blowhard Rob Staton's hyperbole. The guy adds "have to", "need to", and "must" to his posts with as much restraint as a fat guy adding ranch to his salad.
Mmmmm..... ranch.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
Did you even read it Sun? They need to take a QB with their first pick, or one of their 1st rounders if it's a guy they are targeting, period. I'm talking about how I want to see how Geno plays the rest of the year to justify that Pete and John could sign him to an extension. I don't want them to sign him to an extension at all. Geezus man, reading, try it sometime.
The guy is balling out, I get it. I just don't want Pete and John to fall in love with guy to where they decide that HE is the future QB of the team. No

Do I need to spell it out any more????? DRAFT....A.....QB.....WITH......THE......FIRST.......PICK. DO.....NOT......SIGN.....GENO......TO.....A......BIG.....CONTRACT.

If they don't like what they see in the QBs available when they pick, I sure hope they don't choose a QB with their first pick. I don't expect that to happen unless they are confident in the QB they were to choose.

This sounds very much like how some were hoping the Seahawks would (overreach) for a QB with their #9 heading into the last draft. I will be satisfied in whatever decisions Pete, John, and the organization make.

Rat

Reaction score
I don't think we HAVE to take a QB with our first pick, but finding our next franchise guy needs to be a priority. Looking at draft history, I'm not comfortable waiting until later to take one. If we have the chance to grab one of Stroud/Young/Levis or whoever else improves their stock by then, I'll be disappointed if we pass unless there's some like insane steal there, like Will Anderson falling to the seventh pick or something. I doubt we'll have a better opportunity than next draft any time in the near future.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score

Do I need to spell it out any more????? DRAFT....A.....QB.....WITH......A.....FIRST.......ROUND....PICK. DO.....NOT......SIGN.....GENO......TO.....A......BIG.....CONTRACT.

You'll have to bear with me, I can be a little dense sometimes. Please tell me if I am understanding you correctly. You are saying we should wait and see how the season plays out for some things. And, you are saying we should decide today before the season plays out what we are going to do with our first draft pick. Does this sum things up?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I just am kind of worried they will end up signing him to an extension instead of really concentrating on getting the future QB in the draft, that's all.
I'm appreciating how Geno is playing. I apologize for sounded like an Ass, I get that way. Nothing personal.
Good point on the first pick. Just get the guy you want with one of those first 2 or 3 picks. Especially if there's a killer Defensive End available with that first pick.

Aircrew

Reaction score
It's also possible he is a great fit for this offense but just couldn't find his rhythm elsewhere. Maybe he just needed the right environment with a little more time to build his confidence.
I think you've hit on a big part of why Geno has been as successful as we've seen so far this season, a supportive environment can work wonders with people sometimes.
Something else that's worth noting here: Pete Carroll deserves alot of credit for sticking with Geno from the start. There was quite a bit of noise from us fans, myself included, that said we should have went with Drew Lock because of his upside. In spite of that, Pete's position from the start was that this was Geno's job to lose. Good on Pete for seeing what many of us didn't.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If they feel strongly about a guy, fine go get him. But don't go get a guy to get a guy. The Niners gave up a ton of capital for Trey Lance and that seems to have been a mistake thus far.

This.

Even if Geno does surprisingly well, we still have to try and draft the next franchise QB, because we'll probably never have two mid to high 1st rounders to jockey for a QB.

But as the above poster correctly says, it has to be right QB. Too many bad franchises draft QB's just to draft them, without taking into account things like franchise and scheme fit, and all the intangibles that matter.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score

I haven't seen anyone here four games into the season claim Geno should be signed to any extension at this point. But is it really rational to stand on a mountain claiming no way no how given the season is still so young. And Geno has proven to this point that he is more than capable of handling the offense in a surprisingly high fashion.

Geno could possibly fail over time miserably or he could exceed beyond all possible expectations. The results may be somewhere in between. At what point will your hard-fast absolutist opinion be moved from this stance of NO to GENO?

Think back to 2013. Did anyone really believe the team would find the ultimate success? I am not even claiming Geno is the answer, but thus far he has shown to be much more of a leader of this team then anyone could have reasonably predicted. Watching Geno effectively lead the team and recognize the opportunities presented by the defense is refreshing and quite enjoyable.

I'm not even talking about whatever cost resigning him would be. I'm simply wondering if your stance is immovable regardless of the new evidence that the rest of the season will provide.

Would having a winning record change your stance? What if they made the playoffs as a wildcard team? What if they won a playoff game? How about if they won the division? What if they made it to the conference championship? The Superbowl?

After four games even making the playoffs seems like a longshot, but they are currently competitive even with a porous defense.

The development of the team is a fun thing to follow and experience and I believe the offense and defense will continue to improve.

In the end, an opinion that is contrary to the evidence doesn't mean much. If Geno can lead the Seahawks to unexpected success, it would be foolish of the organization to not look at the possibility of signing him to an extension. This doesn't mean he should be resigned but to state he shouldn't seems to be closing a mental door unnecessarily.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm not saying anyone did. I'm just bringing up the possibility that I could see Pete and John falling in love with Geno enough to buy in to him, and give him an extension for a decent chunk of change, that's all.
It's just a scenario that could happen. Nothing more. I never once said that anyone thinks he will get an extension. Not once
It's a message board, it is fine to have an opinion on possible scenarios. At least it should be.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
geno's proving to be solid if he's in the right situation. so give him protection, a playcaller that understands his limitations/positives, and some weapons, and *BOOM* he puts up good numbers.
^^This^^ Geno has shown to be way better than many here (including myself) have been giving him credit for, and apparently, Pete Knew/Knows more than many Geno 'Doubters' think they Knew/Knows.
IF John Schneider, who seems to have a keen eye for Quarterbacks on the rise, finds someone that he thinks can take the Seahawks to the next level, I think he and Pete will pull the proverbial 'Trigger', whether it be in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or whenever.
Geno not being the "Spring Chicken" really means nothing in the grand scheme of things, he could still be a good mentor for a Quarterback if one gets Drafted in '23'.
IF he continues to improve, you have to consider keeping the guy in the fold.
There's no way around it, Defense is going to need to be upgraded a BUNCH in '23', and with the 2-1st rounders, 2-2nd rounders + a few more in the next draft, I think we're going have our cake & eat it too.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
One advantage is that this pick will be made by the organization and not the owner. Too many times the owner of a crappy team forces the team to draft a certain guy at qb.

thegameq

Reaction score
Yes they should. Everyone loves a feel good story and Geno is an underdog. But Geno is not the future of this franchise.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Four high picks in the 1st and 2nd only comes around once, if ever. Even if Geno balls out this year, he is in his 30's, and it would be great to develop a new qb and have the luxury of bringing him along more slowly. Consider it an insurance policy at worst, and The Answer, at best. The competititon might also help make Geno better. Or not.

Atradees

Reaction score
To me depends on the draft board. Where we pick and talent available. Geno is looking good. Real Good. If a generational DT is there? You take him. How long since we had an Adams or Tez? That would be awesome. We are kind of a spitting image of the Lions. defenseless.

Last edited:

Fade

Reaction score
2 yrs 60 with an option year. draft a qb
if that 3rd year option is $40M it could work.

I think Geno is going to tail off though, he just faced ATL & DET two of the worst defenses in the NFL.

Need more games against better defenses to establish a more accurate baseline of his value going forward.

This will be an easier conversation to have when there is a larger sample size.

GemCity

Reaction score
Hopefully PC/JS see someone in the "2nd" tier like some have pointed out here - BYU/UW QB's maybe but I'm not much of a QB whisperer to know anyone else.

Then we can draft a stud MLB/DE as this team desperately needs it; move Brooks to OLB again and cut Barton
I can see this happening. I used to think we needed to grab a QB and grab him with the first pick.

But let’s say Geno sustains this pace and resigns. That’s a lot of “ifs” but, I could see us going heavy on D and picking up a QB in the later rounds and bringing him up slowly behind Geno.

What a crazy year already…

Latest posts