Should we use our draft capital for a “top college QB”?

Spohawks

Reaction score
Best player available. With 2 firsts/2 2nds and picking the best player available...thats 4 new starters.

I would take 4 new starters over a QB. But if one of those starters was a QB, even better!

Geno knows that this is a contract year for him so he won't be throwing a ton of INTs, he is going to make BANK from some team and it won't be the Hawks.

Rainger

Reaction score
What's a TOP QB? Joe Montana was from 3rd round, Brady the GOAT from 7th round, our former savior Russ was from 3rd round. We should draft a QB that will be good for 5-10 years and can CARRY the team, but not necessary a public opinion crowned "Top QB".
Toffee do a quick edit Brady was in the 6th round. :)

Rainger

Reaction score
Yes we draft a top tier QB, that I think was the plan of the trade all along, get through this year and get a good QB in 23 that is a stellar QB draft.

But with all the other draft capital they have they will nicely fill out the other deficiencies.

Then with a year under the QB and other parts combined with this draft the team is in the SB in 2024 and Pete can go out with the 2 SB's he should have had.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
You think four games undoes a decades worth of work? No, no it doesn't. Especially when a QB with a shaky track record is going to potentially receive a large pay day. As I said before, Fitzpatrick and other backup QB's would go on runs where they looked unstoppable and then most of them came crashing to earth.

Yes, Geno isn't Fitzpatrick, but more often than not this is the case.

We also had the longest run in the NFL of NOT scoring a single touchdown in the second half under Geno. You're acting like we're fielding an elite passer. Geno isn't elite and I'd look REALLY hard before signing him to a 15+ million dollar a year contract. That right there is a potential QB purgatory.
This is quite a ridiculous take. It's at minimum a disingenuous take to even claim that Geno has even had the opportunity to be the starter for a decade.

You cannot claim what he's done for a decade based upon the majority of time not even playing in meaningful games for that very decade.

But what he is demonstrating now that he has the opportunity is that he has matured and studied and worked and practiced and prepared. He is executing what is being asked of him at a high level. Your take doesn't match what most people are seeing.

The funny thing about being human is that with the right mindset and work ethic and study and practice coupled with opportunity results in inevitable growth. Each passing week where Geno performs, your arguments only diminish.

You will continue to speak to the wall using sleight of hand and misdirection to prove your superior perspective, but I'm guessing most people here are adept at seeing through the fluff.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
That is essentially what you're saying, Geno's having his shot now and people are going nuts based on his showings against poor defenses. You're arguing in favor of NOT taking a QB and just letting Geno ride. You're posting in a topic about whether we should skip drafting a QB because of Geno. Letting Geno ride another year means we need to re-sign him, he is not under contract with us for another year.

I'm saying that it's way too early to be anointing Geno of anything, especially based on his performances in past years. Geno is going to get a year to prove himself, I'm just saying that Geno's a bet I wouldn't roll with for the future of this franchise.
More misdirection and stretching the truth to fit your purpose. It is amusing but not so smart.

You would likely benefit from learning to read what is stated and refrain from adding your own assumptions and interpretations based solely on whatever is floating around in your head. Better interactions would result, though that may not be what your end goal is in performing these mental gymnastics.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
It cannot be denied that the Jets have been awful at developing QBs in recent years, but it's not like these guys have been figuring out with other teams. Sam Darnold, Mark Sanchez, Bryce Petty, Kellen Clemens, Brooks Bollinger, Luke Falk, etc. did nothing to prove the Jets wrong for moving on from them.
What it does show is that for a QB to succeed you not only have to be able to play, have the mental make up, have a strong work ethic, and have leadership qualities but you also need a strong support system focused upon development over time.

Once a QB is seen as broken psychologically, whether there's merit to it or not, becoming reclaimed and given a legitimate opportunity and the time grow is simply not the norm.

New shiny toys are coming to market every spring - people like shiny new toys.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
What am I being rude about? Just because I don't subscribe to your opinion? I'm having a debate with you and you're acting like I'm hurling insults at you. I don't see eye to eye with you and you're acting like I'm insulting your family or something. I haven't said anything insulting or rude here.

Please don't accuse me of things I am not doing. If anything you're the one that is sliding backhanded insults towards me. Stop it.

If being slighted fits wear it with pride. What you are claiming as a debate is really nothing of the sort. Of course you are free to do what you wish and say what you want, but don't expect what you attribute to others to be unchallenged when it is simply not true.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I’m taking a stance. Unless you’re marching out a stellar defense it’s not happening. Geno can run the offense but he’s just a guy.

Let’s not overreact to a good performance against the Detroit Lions. A team on the rise but a team that hasn’t sniffed the playoffs in a decade.

I give a lot of credit to the offensive line today. Both in the run game and pass blocking.
Just a guy? You watching these games or just annoyingly parroting the media? Sounds like the latter.

Maybe try thinking for yourself.

The only person that can put a ceiling on anyone, is the person in question. Geno clearly isn't doing that, and is learning, growing, and embracing his opportunity.

Then we have the .Net neckbeard, Monday morning douche bags that think they are smart, but would die on the field with a single blow from even the scrubiest of preseason jags, that they will no doubt tell you all about from the comfort of their armchair.

The entitlement and unfounded arrogance stinks like hell in this place.

Last edited:

Scout

Reaction score
Still have to draft a young QB IMO because you need to have someone under contract 2023 and beyond IMO.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm really hoping Pete doesn't decide to just sign Geno to an extension. WAY too early for that. But I wouldn't put it past him. They need to draft a QB with their top pick next year, period.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Just a guy? You watching these games or just annoyingly parroting the media? Sounds like the latter.

Maybe try thinking for yourself.

The only person that can put a ceiling on anyone, is the person in question. Geno clearly isn't doing that, and is learning, growing, and embracing his opportunity.

Then we have the .Net neckbeard, Monday morning douche bags that think they are smart, but would die on the field with a single blow from even the scrubiest of preseason jags, that they will no doubt tell you all about from the comfort of their armchair.

The entitlement and unfounded arrogance stinks like hell in this place.
37 years of watching football and 15 as a player for me. If he does this to the Rams defense I’ll change my opinion.

I can see the difference between Patrick Mahomes and Geno Smith. If you can’t I’m sorry there is nothing I can do for you.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
I'm really hoping Pete doesn't decide to just sign Geno to an extension. WAY too early for that. But I wouldn't put it past him. They need to draft a QB with their top pick next year, period.
What makes this a need? The Seahawks have many picks and many weaknesses to shore up. Why is drafting a quarterback with the first of many picks a need? What if a generational pass rusher is available? What if JS/PC and the team's scouts don't believe in the best QB available when the Hawks are on the clock? Why should the team constrain themselves to the limited absolutist style of thinking espoused by the uneducated-uninformed fans who were screaming for Baker Mayfield?

You have been reading too much of the blowhard Rob Staton's hyperbole. The guy adds "have to", "need to", and "must" to his posts with as much restraint as a fat guy adding ranch to his salad.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Geno Smith now has the top grade for any QB in the NFL for the season by Pro Football Focus at 84.5. Next are Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts, Tua and Jacoby Brissett. If you're curious, Denver's starting QB is 24th.
Geno is only 31. He’s got another 3-5 years of good play left in the tank we just need to stack the defense in the offseason with all those picks we got

Seahawker

Reaction score
L-o-n-g... t-i-m-e... until the 23' Draft, a season to play & a ton of evaluations to do before they build next seasons roster.
I don't think taking a QB #1 is written in stone with JS/PC but I do think that our next offseason will be huge armed with
FA$ and draft picks. Fix the defense, interior O-Line, WR and yes a chance at a QB likely in our top four picks.
I like the R. Gannon comparison and am excited to see how far Geno can take this team during the retooling process.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
4 games in. I'm gonna' go ahead and see how the rest of the season plays out.
Less than 4 hours ago you made an assertion about what the Hawks "need to" do with their first draft pick of 2023. Now you are saying we should wait and see how the season plays out. Are you walking back your assertion that the Hawks "need to" draft a QB with their first draft pick? Or, is deciding what to do with the draft not included in this "see how the rest of the season plays out" idea?

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Less than 4 hours ago you made an assertion about what the Hawks "need to" do with their first draft pick of 2023. Now you are saying we should wait and see how the season plays out. Are you walking back your assertion that the Hawks "need to" draft a QB with their first draft pick? Or, is deciding what to do with the draft not included in this "see how the rest of the season plays out" idea?
Some people around these parts just say whatever pops in their mind at that moment.