Should we use our draft capital for a “top college QB”?

BASF

Reaction score
Most NFL QB's can throw that ball that far off of their back foot. It's adequate, but his arm strength isn't exactly his strength. For Geno, I'd say his short to intermediate accuracy and LOS control has been his biggest plus. Reminds me a bit of Hasselbeck on how he's approaching the game. Methodical, enough arm strength to burn you and cause you to back off, but not a cannon like say Lock. His arm strength isn't exactly great though.

So, because he doesn't try to throw as hard as he can on most throws and has touch on his passes to make them easier to catch, you are discounting his arm? An interesting thought process.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Plenty of great QB's had average at best arm strength. Just sayin
I'm saying he's going to be 32 right now, he's no spring chicken. QB's seem to be rather unpredictable on how long they can play. Some guys can go well into the 40s, others are done in their early 30s. You don't need a cannon to be successful. I'm worried about it potentially degrading. I still have a lot of reservations about Geno Smith.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I absolutely do too. A LOT needs to be shown before I crown him. Still pretty shocked at how well he has played so far.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I absolutely do too. A LOT needs to be shown before I crown him. Still pretty shocked at how well he has played so far.
I'm going to have to see a whole season. Despite all of my objections I see some things I like, so don't get me wrong. Smith's control at the LOS is the thing that impresses me the most. Wilson has never shown this much competence at the LOS. It reminds me of how Hasselbeck used to operate at the LOS. This has been bar none the best element of his game IMO. I've never seen Wilson shift protections as much as Geno, or switch plays.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And the dink and dunk style, along with the play calling has been really fun to watch. They're not making him do something he's not good at.

sutz

Reaction score
And the dink and dunk style, along with the play calling has been really fun to watch. They're not making him do something he's not good at.
But it hasn't been just "dink and dunk." Sure, they're getting a lot more first downs and longer drives and I'm loving that, but they've also taken some shots when they're there and Geno has hit on a few of them. There have been more than a few chunk plays achieved.