Russell Wilson meme thread

RiverDog

Reaction score
I can't agree simply because he has had years to change and besides declining speed,
less mobility and weaker arm nothing has changed.
He lost a few pounds this off season which is good and he may actually be quicker for a
bit,have few good games early BUT father time favors none.
I think he will gain weight as season goes just like he did here and I also think his avoiding
injuries is over as he no longer has the legs of a spring chicken.
As you say we'll see.
The difference between this season and the opportunities he had to change in past years is that he's coming off one of the most humiliating seasons any quarterback has had in recent memory, including the firing of his head coach, a person he claims to have a deep respect for. Never before has he been forced to eat such a huge serving of humble pie. He'll also be playing for Sean Payton, a coach who has quite a bit more credibility than his predecessor. Those factors could be a huge motivator for him.

I honestly don't know how this season will progress, if Russell will get it turned around or not. I'm simply saying that he can.

Last edited:

strohmin

Reaction score
My issue with Russell is his constant positivity talk. Sometimes people need face reality and understand that positivity alone will not solve a problem. He doesnt have to act negative but he could keep his mouth shut now and then. He may have a good season this year after losing weight but it took and absolutely embarassing season and a hardass head coach to change his bs ways. He could have lost that weight while he was playing for us when people were saying how much of a fat ass he became. Also, if he ends up winning with playing pete ball after spouting all that nonsense about let russ cook, I will hate him even more. He went to denver spouting all that nonsense about winning culture and how hes gonna do this and that, if he doesnt win the way he intended then I am going to hate him for all the crap Pete took for his nonsense.

RiverDog

Reaction score
My issue with Russell is his constant positivity talk. Sometimes people need face reality and understand that positivity alone will not solve a problem. He doesnt have to act negative but he could keep his mouth shut now and then. He may have a good season this year after losing weight but it took and absolutely embarassing season and a hardass head coach to change his bs ways. He could have lost that weight while he was playing for us when people were saying how much of a fat ass he became. Also, if he ends up winning with playing pete ball after spouting all that nonsense about let russ cook, I will hate him even more. He went to denver spouting all that nonsense about winning culture and how hes gonna do this and that, if he doesnt win the way he intended then I am going to hate him for all the crap Pete took for his nonsense.
Except for the overuse of the term 'hate', I essentially agree.

If it were me and I had an embarrassing season like Russell had, I'd feel as if I was walking around with my fly unzipped. I'd be flying under the radar, avoiding publicity as much as I could, lock myself in the gym and get to work fixing what's broken. But not Russell. He acts as if nothing's changed, that everything is peachy keen. Everyone loves him and he loves everyone. It's all rainbows and unicorns with him.

I honestly wonder if Russell has such an ego defense mechanism that it will not allow him to hear the criticism, that his mind screens out all the negativism directed at him. It sure seems like he hasn't changed one iota, at least not what we're seeing in public.

Being able to, as Russell used to say, "screen out the noise" can be a good trait in a lot of situations. But as an old wise man once told me, and overdone strength becomes a weakness. It makes me wonder if despite such a train wreck of a season that he hasn't been sufficiently humbled, if he still thinks his chit don't stink.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Russ is REALLY bad at self marketing, be it a product, himself, his wife, his children, or Jesus.

At 35, he should realize that. Just as Ciara should realize that marketing herself as the hottest nfl wife ever has also failed.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Russ is REALLY bad at self marketing, be it a product, himself, his wife, or his children.
I'm not sure about his children, but you're exactly right about the others, and it's all due to a profound lack of self-awareness. He sees himself in a completely different light than does the average Joe 6 Pack.

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Yet you participate in this thread?
Not sure of your questioning motive? I did not add to "the woe of Russell Wilson"...I expressed...Why the personal attacks? His bad season in Denver gave us just the boost John Schneider needed to transition from rebuild to reset to actual competing for renewed respect. As an NFL fan base surely we can speculate on the variety of on field failures that defined his poor season.

"Supporters can speculate reasons defending and those with a beef can point at many "contributing" causes.

The reality is...he's gone...he's not our problem...he's not our hero...those bitter by how he left can find many posts/sites to soothe feelings of betrayal. Those who appreciated what he did on the field can wish him well...and support our "new" QB Geno who has many in the fan base already choosing sides.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Not sure of your questioning motive? I did not add to "the woe of Russell Wilson"...I expressed...Why the personal attacks? His bad season in Denver gave us just the boost John Schneider needed to transition from rebuild to reset to actual competing for renewed respect. As an NFL fan base surely we can speculate on the variety of on field failures that defined his poor season.

"Supporters can speculate reasons defending and those with a beef can point at many "contributing" causes.

The reality is...he's gone...he's not our problem...he's not our hero...those bitter by how he left can find many posts/sites to soothe feelings of betrayal. Those who appreciated what he did on the field can wish him well...and support our "new" QB Geno who has many in the fan base already choosing sides.
Fair enough. Your previous post gave kind of a "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" vibe, and the internet equivalent is to simply not visit threads that by nature attract those kinds of responses.

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Fair enough. Your previous post gave kind of a "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" vibe, and the internet equivalent is to simply not visit threads that by nature attract those kinds of responses.
I see now...I have made posts on a few other sites without being aware of this one...pretty much been limited to Seahawk posts...appreciate expectations...ignorance is seldom bliss...the remedy is schools...right?

Hawkmode

Reaction score
You picked up on the right vibe...the temptation to "stray" is almost intoxicating...or not

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I'm not sure about his children, but you're exactly right about the others, and it's all due to a profound lack of self-awareness. He sees himself in a completely different light than does the average Joe 6 Pack.

With his kids, it’s the publicity Shots of their latest exotic vacation of birthday extravaganza Complete with an actual live anaconda

Hawkmode

Reaction score
With his kids, it’s the publicity Shots of their latest exotic vacation of birthday extravaganza Complete with an actual live anaconda
Not quite seeing the "point" of your post? With plenty of wealth from both parents what expectations are we to speculate on? Hit that quirky "straw man" again

RiverDog

Reaction score
I guess I hadn't seen that.

One of the things that seems a little strange with Russell is that he portrays himself in public as this gregarious, people orientated, attention loving guy who craves companionship, so why would such an open, extroverted person make his friends go through a manager to talk to or even text him?

keasley45

Reaction score
I dont think there's that big of a mystery around what Russ will do under Payton. If it was any other QB in the league but our beloved Russ, and the question was asked, 'will a qb who can't read a defense well succeed under a coach in Sean Peyton who has only ever successfully coached cerebral qb's?' . The answer would be a resounding, NO.

But we look at Russ and STILL wonder what happened last year.

simple. can't read defenses.

He can extend plays. He can at times make the solid presnap single read. But he has never shown the ability to effectively read a defense, make protection calls, and get the ball where it's supposed to be.

That's just fact. You can see it if you watch his highlight reels and try to isolate the plays where he's not breaking the pocket and making stuff up.

Pete was ok with it. Sean won't be. And I don't think Sean will be ok with every game being a nail-biter when he knows that if he can get a guy to run HIS offense, he can win more consistently.

Russ knows his weakness and refuses to acknowledge it. Mark Schlereth was amazed at how when he asked Russ what in his game he could improve on over last year, he didn't identify one single tangible thing. Just better effort. More faith, etc. Etc. Etc.

In any other context, with any other player, that response could be benign enough. But this is a qb who has put on tape game after game after game of missed reads and failed plays... predating Denver. And in Denver, that's almost all their was. Hes also the guy who during last preseason when Hackett was asked what the biggest challenge had been to date in working with Russ, responded that it was getting him to understand his first and second reads... 😳 A QB in year 10. 'Elite', savior of a franchise... didnt understand his reads.

For THAT guy not to say that he needs to 'study up'... get more familiar with the offense, ... whatever. HUGE red flag. And that was just a few weeks ago.

I guess the whole house has to burn down before we all see that there's an obvious fire in the kitchen.

NoGain

Reaction score
I dont think there's that big of a mystery around what Russ will do under Payton. If it was any other QB in the league but our beloved Russ, and the question was asked, 'will a qb who can't read a defense well succeed under a coach in Sean Peyton who has only ever successfully coached cerebral qb's?' . The answer would be a resounding, NO.

But we look at Russ and STILL wonder what happened last year.

simple. can't read defenses.

He can extend plays. He can at times make the solid presnap single read. But he has never shown the ability to effectively read a defense, make protection calls, and get the ball where it's supposed to be.

That's just fact. You can see it if you watch his highlight reels and try to isolate the plays where he's not breaking the pocket and making stuff up.

Pete was ok with it. Sean won't be. And I don't think Sean will be ok with every game being a nail-biter when he knows that if he can get a guy to run HIS offense, he can win more consistently.

Russ knows his weakness and refuses to acknowledge it. Mark Schlereth was amazed at how when he asked Russ what in his game he could improve on over last year, he didn't identify one single tangible thing. Just better effort. More faith, etc. Etc. Etc.

In any other context, with any other player, that response could be benign enough. But this is a qb who has put on tape game after game after game of missed reads and failed plays... predating Denver. And in Denver, that's almost all their was. Hes also the guy who during last preseason when Hackett was asked what the biggest challenge had been to date in working with Russ, responded that it was getting him to understand his first and second reads... 😳 A QB in year 10. 'Elite', savior of a franchise... didnt understand his reads.

For THAT guy not to say that he needs to 'study up'... get more familiar with the offense, ... whatever. HUGE red flag. And that was just a few weeks ago.

I guess the whole house has to burn down before we all see that there's an obvious fire in the kitchen.
Good post.

Even during RW's first 5-6 years or so in the league when his style of play was most effective, there were numerous times when I just wished he could operate like a more normal QB, get the ball out quicker, take what the defense was giving him, move the chains more modestly and consistently down the field, keep the offense on the field longer, etc...

It's going to be VERY interesting to see how the SP/RW relationship unfolds this season. There's a fairly wide range of potential outcomes, it seems to me. I could see anything from SP losing patience and moving away from RW at some point during the season, to RW adapting just enough so that SP can successfully mine enough of his remaining talent and athletic ability to make the team somewhat relevant again in a very tough AFC. I lean towards the former end of the spectrum, but we'll see.

I do firmly believe, however, that the new ownership is squarely in SP's corner now as to who's in charge of the fate of the franchise. We'll see how just how much RW takes that to heart.

keasley45

Reaction score
Good post.

Even during RW's first 5-6 years or so in the league when his style of play was most effective, there were numerous times when I just wished he could operate like a more normal QB, get the ball out quicker, take what the defense was giving him, move the chains more modestly and consistently down the field, keep the offense on the field longer, etc...

It's going to be VERY interesting to see how the SP/RW relationship unfolds this season. There's a fairly wide range of potential outcomes, it seems to me. I could see anything from SP losing patience and moving away from RW at some point during the season, to RW adapting just enough so that SP can successfully mine enough of his remaining talent and athletic ability to make the team somewhat relevant again in a very tough AFC. I lean towards the former end of the spectrum, but we'll see.

I do firmly believe, however, that the new ownership is squarely in SP's corner now as to who's in charge of the fate of the franchise. We'll see how just how much RW takes that to heart.

Agree with where you see Russ headed this year. As much as he has lobbied for Payton, I think it will ultimately spell the end for him. Happy to be wrong, but nothing in his body of work would lead me to believe he is a good fit for a coach like Sean.

Sean is commited to Denver and furthering his reputation as team / QB builder. He sees Russ's ceiling better than any. And that ceiling (or the means to achieve it) is far lower, the means too rudimentary for a mind like Sean's to tolerate.

For him to step into a situation with a supposed 'franchise / elite' guy and be so effusive in his praise of the 'backup' he brought in... and then to go out of his way to praise that player's 'smarts', speaks volumes.

Sure, you could make the argument that maybe he's doing it to light a fire under his starter. But coaches talk to one another, and i'm sure Sean and Pete have had the sitdown. So i'm sure Sean knows of Russ's struggles with criticism. Seems as though much like the private office and personalized staff, Sean said 'F' that.

Russ's leash is gonna be shorter than Ciara's skirt in 2023, and that thing was barely there.

NoGain

Reaction score
Yup. It's going to be an interesting sub-plot to watch this year in the NFL. It would be interesting to comprise a list of all these sub-plots this coming season.

toffee

Reaction score
Wilson's career will be determined in the first five regular season games. If he plays at last season's level, he may be benched. I doubt Wilson fragile psyche can handle the benching. If he survives the first five games and played the rest of the season middle of pack, he might be traded?

bileever

Reaction score
I think that it was too big of a shock last year for Nathaniel Hackett to go from Aaron Rodgers to Russell Wilson. In Rodgers (for all of his problems), you have a guy who has really mastered the modern NFL offense, a master of changing plays at the line of scrimmage and someone who gets the ball out fast. To go from Rodgers to Wilson meant that you had to pretty much scrap most of the concepts you were using to something more rudimentary.

In addition, I read that Hackett was somewhat scarred from his experience with Rodgers, and wanted to avoid what he witnessed between Rodgers and LaFleur, so he gave in too much to Wilson. The problem was that Rodgers knew what he was talking about, and Wilson probably not so much.

RiverDog

Reaction score
As long as it's a pile on Russell thread, let me throw in another two cents worth.

For one reason or another, Russell hasn't been seeing the field. I've been attending 2-3 games per season, most times in the upper level of the stadium where you can see coverages and receiver patterns. There were lots of times that Russell had open receivers at the 10-15 yard range but opted to throw a lower percentage pass, usually a deep ball. We all assumed that it was his desire for "hero ball", but could it be something else?

Case in point is the Denver game against the Colts, 4th and one at the Indy 5, down by 3 in overtime, a do-or-die play, when Russell opted to throw into a tight window instead of a wide-open KJ Hamler. That wasn't a choice of a first down vs. hero ball nor was it that he didn't read the defense. He just plain didn't see Hamler. Is he locking onto his primary receiver and not going through his progression? Is there something wrong with is peripheral vision?

Last edited: