Ranking Geno Smith - Seattle All time QB list

Ozzy

Reaction score
You can’t compare stats from different eras imo. You can compare people against their peers.

Anyway here is how I would rank them just off the top of my head

1. Wilson

2. Hass
3. Krieg
4. Zorn
5. Moon
6. Smith
7. Kitna

Then it’s a crapshoot so I’ll say McGwire, Mirer, Whitehurst

chris98251

Reaction score
Well you all loving and hugging stats is fine, but sometimes it's just not the stats, Zorn, Kreig, Hass, Kitna and it looks like Geno were much better leaders then Wilson, Zorn and Kreig meant much more to the fan base for the period then Wilson and I will say Hass, Hass being Transistional and loved for different reasons.

It's not always about the Stats.

Oh and Moon, every team in the league passed on him, racism and the fact someone came out with a story that Black QB's were not smart enough to learn an NFL offense.

Then James Harris emerged and kept blowing those theory's out of the water, he was very successful, pity that Knox was forever trying to find a replacement for him.

So many of us in the area wanted Moon when he came out of school, he broke every record if you combine Canadian and NFL passing stats.

There is no telling how he would have done stat wise if he started in the NFL as a Rookie, going to a team like the Seahawks which was run dominated he would have had a much lower stat ratio, going to a place like Oakland, he may have had much more or even San Diego.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
What does everyone on this list have (or will have) in common?

They all got cut or traded by the Seahawks.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
If we're talking strictly Seahawks, Moon should not be high.

1) Wilson. 2) Hasselbeck. 3) Krieg. 4) Geno. 5) Zorn. 6) Moon. 7) Kitna.

Yeah Moon was tough for me. If it’s in totality he’s right with Wilson. As a Seahawk he probably should be lower than I have him but I’m a massive fan so I bumped him up a little

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Seattle has had 24 different QB's start a game. If we go by win percentage as starter alone. The great Glenn Foley is number 1, followed by Trent Dilfer at number ...
By this metric isn't Drew Lock number 1?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
You can’t compare stats from different eras imo. You can compare people against their peers.

Anyway here is how I would rank them just off the top of my head

1. Wilson

2. Hass
3. Krieg
4. Zorn
5. Moon
6. Smith
7. Kitna

Then it’s a crapshoot so I’ll say McGwire, Mirer, Whitehurst
McGwire over Mirer? Mirer at least had a semi respectable rookie season.

xray

Reaction score
For popularity....Krieg .

xray

Reaction score
If Dave Krieg had been just a little better , he would of been a NFL rock star . imo

CPHawk

Reaction score
Russell

Krieg
Moon
Hasselbeck
Smith
Wow. Moon at like 40 yo was not better than Hass. Moon in Houston, yeah he was better than everyone on the list.

Moon had 2 years as a Hawk, 3600 yards and under 500 yards the next year.

Last edited:

DeSeahawk

Reaction score
McGwire over Mirer? Mirer at least had a semi respectable rookie season.
And that rookie season compelled me to buy an autographed jersey to wear at his eventual HOF induction. I was 26 at the time and obviously mentally deranged.

My list is
Russ
Has
Mudbone
Moon
Geno
And of course, Harry McTurd

Rat

Reaction score
Moon
Hasselbeck
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Some of you guys are remembering Moon as being WAY better here than he was. He didn't have a winning record in either of his seasons, dropping five of his final six starts as we missed the playoffs in 1997. His stats look good for the year, but his TD numbers were largely inflated by a 5-TD performance in a shootout against a Raiders team that finished 4-12 and ranked dead last in the league in total defense. Then in 1998, he was averaging 163 passing yards per game and had just 11 TDs to 8 INTs through ten games before being replaced by Jon Kitna.

He was admirable for a 40-year-old QB, but let's not pretend he was some revelation here.

Last edited:

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
This is kind of hard for me. In terms of 'Seahawks QBs' there is Russ, Hass, Krieg, and Zorn. (And in that order). Those guys spent careers here.

Geno has only been here three seasons. He doesn't crack those other 4 in terms of impact.

Moon and Kitna seem to get slid into these discussions for non-Seahawks football reasons because they really didn't play for us for very long.

So, if we're talking overall impact? I put Smith at the top of the guys outside the Seahawks QB Mt. Rushmore, so #5.

In terms of the quality of his play? That's tough because you're comparing across eras. I would say that Geno's 2022 probably sits right at #5 in terms of top 5 Seahawks QB seasons (2005 Hass being in there, the rest being Russ seasons).

So, that gets a little harder. For overall talent (based on Seahawks years only), I'd say it's Russ, Hass, Moon, then Smith or Krieg jockeying for 4 and 5.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Comparing Geno to say Krieg who statistically isn't that good, but QB for a long time, played in a different era, and led a few highlight years -- is impossible. Like, easy to argue franchise impact for Krieg, but as far as the QB position, Krieg didn't have many outstanding statistical years where he threw for far more TDs than INTs. His highest TD year was 32, but he threw 24 INT that year too. His best ratio was an 18:8.

Krieg also was 3-6 in the playoffs with 11:9 ratio.

You had Dan Marino at the time throwing 48 TDs and 5000 yards.

Geno is most certainly better than all QB's who didn't lead our team more than 5 years. Moon included.
Marino playing in 2023, would be throwing 70 TDs a season. He was the best in my book.