Pete or Brian you can't have both

12th And Loud

Reaction score
I feel like Pete and Brian are both alpha males. It is hard for them to exist on the same staff.

I would pick Pete personally, but I think you clearly have to pick one. Not a bad problem to have because this team, with a few tweaks, can win the Super Bowl next year. We saw it, they were streaky this year but we saw it.

You need to buy into one ideology though.

1) Game changing offensive techniques with Brian

2) Old school hard hitting defense with Pete

You can't co-exist with both primarily because each philosophy requires a different training program, offseason especially, and a different game day game plan.

Pick one and win.

We have seen that we sink when we try to do both.

John63

Reaction score
I would pick Brian he showed in the first 5 game she can call a great offensive game. PC neutered it

cymatica

Reaction score
I pick Brian, hoping that he finds the best coach for his defense and gives him full/most reign. Hopefully Schneider stays and maybe Pete can be a db coach

Seriously I love Pete for the most part, but he either needs to stay out of the offense entirely, or just enough to where he doesn't neuter them. If Wilson was demoralized by his interception streak, then his head coach needs to help him get back on track, not turtle up and neuter him.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think it’s time to move on from both.
Pete’s “5 year free pass” for making it to and winning one super bowl has expired.

OP
OP

12th And Loud

Reaction score
cymatica":212hkp02 said:
I pick Brian, hoping that he finds the best coach for his defense and gives him full/most reign. Hopefully Schneider stays and maybe Pete can be a db coach

Seriously I love Pete for the most part, but he either needs to stay out of the offense entirely, or just enough to where he doesn't neuter them. If Wilson was demoralized by his interception streak, then his head coach needs to help him get back on track, not turtle up and neuter him.

Pete isn't taking a demotion. He is going to be 70 soon, he will probably coach for 10 more years and then retire. But it won't be as a position coach.

If he got fired here, he would have his choice of positions.

OP
OP

12th And Loud

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2djttl1j said:
I think it’s time to move on from both.
Pete’s “5 year free pass” for making it to and winning one super bowl has expired.

If we had Schotty here, Pete would have two.

So I consider him as having two. That play call was not his fault.

OP
OP

12th And Loud

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":27i9p6o7 said:
Pete, because I like winning.

Same.

I said it earlier Pete and Brian both being alphas, in that scenario I think you pick the senior alpha. He knows things Brian just doesn't know.

OP
OP

12th And Loud

Reaction score
potatohead33":2br0bzhj said:
Maelstrom787":2br0bzhj said:

12-4 means little after days like yesterday

There are like 17 other teams that disagree.

(I didn't do the math but I mean all the non playoff teams)

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
potatohead33":28tdeyt3 said:
Maelstrom787":28tdeyt3 said:

Picking a generally unsuccessful coach over Pete Carroll and tasking him with continuing to get you 10 or more wins every season as a basic expectation is absolutely insane

OP
OP

12th And Loud

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2we40uoy said:
potatohead33":2we40uoy said:
Maelstrom787":2we40uoy said:

Picking a generally unsuccessful coach over Pete Carroll and tasking him with continuing to get you 10 or more wins every season as a basic expectation is absolutely insane

Exactly.

I think.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I think a lot of you but hugging Pete Carroll assume Pete Carroll is why we even went 12-4..

Take off the damn goggles and understand it’s Russell, he’s why we have been winning, NOT PETE. Pete chases names, Harvin, Graham, Clowney, Harrison. Without Russell Pete would be bye bye.

I’ll take Brian. First 5 games We saw what this team can be a capable of without Pete neutering the offense and forcing the ball to most time regardless who a below average unhealthy RB. After that, Pete forced his way and the team looked no different than any previous year, no magic, no “easiness” feeling (unlike the frost five games of this year), struggle for 3 quarters just for Wilson to bail his ass out.

**** Pete Carroll

cymatica

Reaction score
12th And Loud":12n0m796 said:
cymatica":12n0m796 said:

Pete isn't taking a demotion. He is going to be 70 soon, he will probably coach for 10 more years and then retire. But it won't be as a position coach.

I know he would not be the db coach. It's a hypothetical

mistaowen

Reaction score
Pete 100% with the assumption he vacates his involvement with the offense and hires a young, exciting OC with full control.

irfuben32

Reaction score
mistaowen":316n1f18 said:
Pete 100% with the assumption he vacates his involvement with the offense and hires a young, exciting OC with full control.

Pete will NEVER do that though.

It's clear to me now that Bevel was not the problem. We still see the same inside zone runs that everyone knows are coming, long developing routes with no check downs and Russ getting sacked too much.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JPatera76":2yxtdhat said:
I think a lot of you but hugging Pete Carroll assume Pete Carroll is why we even went 12-4..

Take off the damn goggles and understand it’s Russell, he’s why we have been winning, NOT PETE. Pete chases names, Harvin, Graham, Clowney, Harrison. Without Russell Pete would be bye bye.

I’ll take Brian. First 5 games We saw what this team can be a capable of without Pete neutering the offense and forcing the ball to most time regardless who a below average unhealthy RB. After that, Pete forced his way and the team looked no different than any previous year, no magic, no “easiness” feeling (unlike the frost five games of this year), struggle for 3 quarters just for Wilson to bail his ass out.

**** Pete Carroll

I mean, most of this is conjecture, though.

Schottenheimer is a guy whose been known to embrace run heavy offenses and subscribes to the same dubious nonsense Carroll does, like the magic rule of 50.

Difference is, Carroll is a proven winner, and Schottenheimer isn't. With Schottenheimer's track record, its unreasonable to assume that he's fully responsible for the philosophy shift and the brief success it brought.

keasley45

Reaction score
If schottenheimer can't get Russ to run the office he draws up and get the ball out the way its supposed to and manage the game, then he should go the same way bevell went.

I think both are responsible for not holding Russ more accountable.

Question now is how much of what Russ is doing (or not doing) is because he can't and how much is because he stubbornly won't.

But to your question. Schotty should go well before PC

OP
OP

12th And Loud

Reaction score
cymatica":3j6u6jg6 said:
12th And Loud":3j6u6jg6 said:
cymatica":3j6u6jg6 said:

I know he would not be the db coach. It's a hypothetical

Thanks for clarifying. Sorry for getting the thing messed up with Wade Phillips still coaching the Rams earlier. I think I upset some people with that, wasn't my intention.

OP
OP

12th And Loud

Reaction score
mistaowen":b6ebkxde said:

You can't stipulate on a hall of fame coach.

Not sure if stipulate is the right conjecture there but I think you know what I am trying to say.