Paying over 30 year old QB's is dumb

Crizilla

Reaction score
Unless he's a no doubt HOF'er there's no point in doing this in today's NFL. This year Geno's base salary is 25 Milly with possibility he could earn up to 50 Milly. Lol for comparison Aaron Judge on the Yankees is making 40 Milly this year. They're betting on Geno being a top 10 QB and so far off to a terrible start. 112 pass yards today.

JPatera76

Reaction score
We're getting him for a bargain, as well please explain how you would overcome your starting LT and RT going down in the same game. That I would imagine plays a big part and no doubt the team wasn't prepared for it (obviously so)

Seahawks8880

Reaction score
I’ve said before and I’ll continue to say it that it was huge mistake paying that kind of money to a career backup QB when he hasn’t proven squat. He had a good start last year playing bad teams and as I thought the second half was horrible due to stiffer competition. Dude has low iq and CAN NOT Improvise when under pressure. We will not go far with him on the team.

ruffENrowdy

Reaction score
For a qb who regressed? I would have rather seen if Drew could get something together in the 4th. I was seriously worried we would get this Geno, and we did. It's like after that 3rd and 4 pass to Metcalf his decision making went out the window.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
For a qb who regressed? I would have rather seen if Drew could get something together in the 4th. I was seriously worried we would get this Geno, and we did. It's like after that 3rd and 4 pass to Metcalf his decision making went out the window.
Did you watch the play of the tackles after the starters went out? Crazy that the offense would go stagnant about the same time.

Polk738

Reaction score
Geno was not the problem today, I don't know what the TOP was but I'm sure it was VERY lopsided-when the defense doesn't get off the field it severely limits your offense's possessions.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
That's both a disservice to Geno and Lock. Dumping your backup into any old shitty situation does nothing to help him grow into a better player, and dumping your starter does nothing for him or the rest of the roster.

Come on. This isn't Madden.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Which Geno? 1st half or 2nd? Starting tackles or not ready backups?

LTH

Reaction score
Unless he's a no doubt HOF'er there's no point in doing this in today's NFL. This year Geno's base salary is 25 Milly with possibility he could earn up to 50 Milly. Lol for comparison Aaron Judge on the Yankees is making 40 Milly this year. They're betting on Geno being a top 10 QB and so far off to a terrible start. 112 pass yards today.
The over reaction is epic!

Rat

Reaction score
Even worse was losing out on two potential contributors on cheap deals just to pay Jamal "Street Clothes" Adams $17 million per season to stand on the sidelines.

PeruHawk

Reaction score
Hi Crizilla, I would say your wisdom is in close alignment with your avatar image. Matt Stafford is 35, 3 years older than Gino, and he threw some perfect balls today, completions where one could not reasonably expect a defender to do better. Age is not the issue here.

Last edited:

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Contract says it's about top 10. Was today's performance top 10?
Contract says he is the 18th Highest paid QB in the league with every starting QB in the league below him on a rookie contract, with the exception of Jimmy G on $24.25m so only slightly less.

So at the most extreme we are paying Geno as a to 20 QB but rookie QBs also cost a ton of draft capital especially as they ar esuch an unknown.

Geno is very cheap for a non-rookie because of the uncertainty that he would be able to repeat last season. The front offices options were:

1. Stick with Geno
2. Take a flyer on Lock (or some other career back-up) that they will be able to step up to beging a decent starter
3. Spend draft picks and $50m getting an established star (like the Broncos did last season)
4. Trade up to get a highly rated QB in the draft (top 3 pick)
5. Take a QB lower in the draft.

Regarding option 2, Pete and John were ridiculed last year when they decided Geno was good enough to be starter. They know Lock far better than we do we could have got Trey Lance for about $8m but I suspect most people would regard that as a bad move.

Regarding option 4, the Cards would have demanded WAY over the odds for us to trade up to get Richardson who has less starts in college than Gen ohad last season, we might have outbid the Panthers for No 1 but what would that cost. And a pick does not guarantee a QB better than a career backup Zach Wilson, Lance, Mayfield, Darnold, Trubisky, Wentz, Winston, Marriota and Bortles were all drafted in the top 3. Of the other top 3 picks in the last 10 years, Burrow is looking top draw, Lawence is showing promise but the jury is still out and Murray and Goff have been OK but prboably not even top 10.

I suppose you go with option 5 draft a QB as Mr Irrelevent and win the lottery.

OP
OP
Crizilla

Crizilla

Reaction score
Hi Crizilla, I would say your wisdom is in close alignment with your avatar image. Matt Stafford is 35, 3 years older than Gino, and he threw some perfect balls today, completions where one could not reasonably expect a defender to do better. Age is not the issue here.
Stafford is better than Geno.