Jalen Carter wanted in connection with car crash that killed teammate

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
And yet I would assume many of these talking heads and draftnicks still have him going top 5, and have no first hand knowledge of his work ethic. Kid has been the Captain of the Bulldogs Defense multiple years while they have been putting out consistent players from the defense. I will admit conditioning can be an issue. But the kid took on so many double teams while still playing at a fair to high level.
He's not going top 5, guaranteed. You're also overselling his abilities a good bit.

People love Jalen Carter because he was considered the front runner for best DT in the draft after the season ended. They don't love him for how he plays or his merits as a potential NFL player. I watched him and didn't come away with thinking he was a can't miss prospect. I think 5 was always too high of a rating for the guy. I don't even think he would've been the number one DT prospect in many of the last drafts over the last five years. People on this board are falling in love with the guy for the position he plays, not him as a player.

Carter isn't going to be a game changer in the NFL like an Aaron Donald sort of figure. I think he's just going to be a JAG. He certainly hasn't shown the maturity or work ethic needed to succeed at the next level thus far.

Mix

Reaction score
He's not going top 5, guaranteed. You're also overselling his abilities a good bit.

People love Jalen Carter because he was considered the front runner for best DT in the draft after the season ended. They don't love him for how he plays or his merits as a potential NFL player. I watched him and didn't come away with thinking he was a can't miss prospect. I think 5 was always too high of a rating for the guy. I don't even think he would've been the number one DT prospect in many of the last drafts over the last five years. People on this board are falling in love with the guy for the position he plays, not him as a player.

Carter isn't going to be a game changer in the NFL like an Aaron Donald sort of figure. I think he's just going to be a JAG. He certainly hasn't shown the maturity or work ethic needed to succeed at the next level thus far.
Aaron Donald didn't go top 5. He went 13th. I doubt many people thought Donald would even be the Donald he is today. Draft position has never guaranteed success. It only gives you a better chance of obtaining the player you want.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I wouldn't touch Carter in the first round now but it isn't an ethical issue. It was a single vehicle accident and if Carter wasn't racing then somebody else would have been. Carter's reckless driving is a huge red flag but it isn't morally worse than Thomas Rawls snatching some ladies purse or Frank Clark's domestic violence incident.

The question to me is how much I would be comfortable giving Carter and still have the belief that he would be putting in full effort into the team. Pick #87 is the first with a signing bonus under $1 million so that's probably where I would take him if there are no further complications from this incident. There are too many other good prospects for me to risk it before then despite his potential, and his potential is worth some risk at that point if he's still on the board.

I can’t help but think we are losing sight of the fact 2 people are dead.
The deceased were reckless adults entirely culpable for their own deaths. They could easily have killed innocent people, so while this wasn't a good outcome it's better then some of the alternatives. It's fair game to be openly critical about this, particularly with young people who don't realize that they aren't invincible and that even occasional lapses in judgement can be life ruining.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
I can’t help but think we are losing sight of the fact 2 people are dead. This is serious shit.
yep, and this isn't going away any time soon. if he's found to have been racing the other SUV, the families of the deceased might have a civil suit ready to go.

the criminal/civil ramifications will hang over jalen carter's head for the foreseeable future as well as the franchise that drafts him.

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
"Georgia star defensive lineman Jalen Carter is being charged with reckless driving and racing in conjunction with a crash that killed one of his teammates and a team staffer.

Police in Athens, Ga., issued arrest warrants Wednesday for the top 2023 NFL Draft prospect, who is currently at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. The warrent charges that Carter was racing his car against a car driven by a university recruiting staffer before the Jan. 15 crash.

Carter was driving a 2021 Jeep Trackhawk “in a manner consistent with racing” the morning that Georgia player Devin Willock and recruiting analyst Chandler LeCroy died when the Ford Expedition driven by LeCroy crashed, according to an investigation by Athens-Clarke County Police."

https://nypost.com/2023/03/01/jalen-carter-issued-arrest-warrant-over-fatal-georgia-crash/

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Aaron Donald didn't go top 5. He went 13th. I doubt many people thought Donald would even be the Donald he is today. Draft position has never guaranteed success. It only gives you a better chance of obtaining the player you want.
I never claimed he went that high. I'm saying that he's not going to have that kind of impact. I've seen people throw around Donald comparison's to him around here.

Chevy

Reaction score
And yet I would assume many of these talking heads and draftnicks still have him going top 5, and have no first hand knowledge of his work ethic. Kid has been the Captain of the Bulldogs Defense multiple years while they have been putting out consistent players from the defense. I will admit conditioning can be an issue. But the kid took on so many double teams while still playing at a fair to high level.
Can you provide a link or article to where it shows Carter as being the captain of Georgia defense for the last two years? I read that he was one of four players that were co-captains for one game against Kentucky this year. There is a huge difference between being a captain for one game vs. being captain of the defense for multiple years.

bloodkingg

Reaction score
Remember for every Henry Ruggs or Malik McDowell, there's a Randy Moss.

Edit: Actually there's a LOT more Ruggs/McDowell's...still, every once in a while there's a Moss. :ROFLMAO:

Mix

Reaction score
Can you provide a link or article to where it shows Carter as being the captain of Georgia defense for the last two years? I read that he was one of four players that were co-captains for one game against Kentucky this year. There is a huge difference between being a captain for one game vs. being captain of the defense for multiple years.
A very fair question. After looking into it, I will concede the point of him being an active defensive Captain. I must of simply thought I had heard it before and gave him attribution he did not actually deserve.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
There were three vehicles racing that night. Georgia's No.2 leading tackler also faces the same charges. Ultimately, the .197 BAC likely had more to do with the crash than Carter did. Also, police at the scene noted no alcohol involvement on Carter's part when he returned to the scene. I just don't see any more serious charges coming down the pipe. Obviously, the behavior raises concerns. But, unless there is some sort of evidence that Carter had a more active role in the crash, I think someone will take him in the first round. Should the Seahawks be that someone? I have no idea.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
https://archive.ph/HrpjU (ajc article that broke the story)

If Carter was right there at the crash, he didnt Stay on scene with the dead and dying, thus giving him a couple hours head start on beating an alcohol Test.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Laremy Tunsil dropped from #1 to #13 on draft night.

He has gone on to have an elite career in the NFL without any “character “ problems I’m aware of.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Laremy Tunsil dropped from #1 to #13 on draft night.

He has gone on to have an elite career in the NFL without any “character “ problems I’m aware of.

Laremy Tunsil smoked weed in a gas mask. This guy saw four of his friends crash, two fatally, in an incident he was involved with. Drastically different moral circumstances.

Last edited:

Donn2390

Reaction score
The problem as I see it is that he was also ticketed back in September for speeding way over the limit. It’s a pattern of recklessness now.
Not to mention that, even though he couldn't be tested for drugs or alcohol, everyone has to assume that he was ever bit as drunk as were the two recently departed who blew over twice the legal limit. A pattern of poor decision making

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
He wrnt back to the combine. Maybe he should work out there as his school having to do a pro day for him might even be more awkward.

chrispy

Reaction score
Doug Baldwin recently did a podcast crediting the success of last year's draft to getting back to a certain type of player: not skillset or position, but mindset. I think PC/JS succeed more with players that truly feel like they are better than how they're being credited. I, personally, feel like that's one contributing factor to the misses in high round picks. It's tough to have a chip on your shoulder when drafted in round 1 and suddenly have all your dreams handed to you. I believe highly drafted players more often have a sense of entitlement. Simply the fact they're drafted higher results in the player being less likely to succeed in the Seattle system. A player that slides is more likely to be a great Seahawk than that same player being taken highly. Nothing is absolute, but generally speaking.

So, specific to this situation, I'd guess that Carter being drafted in the top 5 will reinforce a perspective that accountability doesn't apply to him. However a fall to a spot that's offensive to him could very well motivate him to be a better player, more coachable, more responsible.... I'd predict that Carter goes lower than 5 but higher than 20 and probably still doesn't interpret the situation as needing to prove himself to anyone.

DLs and LBs work out at the Combine today. I'm hoping there are 3 guys that fit the mold and become Seahawk starters in that group.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Laremy Tunsil smoked weed in a gas mask. This guy saw four of his friends crash, two fatally, in an incident he was involved with. Drastically different moral circumstances.
I get that. Horrible deaths happen every day in this country when people drink and drive. That doesn’t mean he can’t learn from this tragedy and become a responsible driver and drinker. He will remember that night forever.