Is this really happening?

sutz

Reaction score
While the playoff drought is certainly a stain on the organization, and flat out sucks a big floppy donkey dick, I do think people tend to get a little bit too stuck on that and lose sight of, well, pretty much everything else.

I think it's pretty fair to call the 10 years from 2004 thru 2013 incompetent and pathetic. That was heinous. However, since 2013 they've only had 1 truly bad season, they've had 4 seasons with winning records, and a few of those seasons they were in the playoff hunt very late into September. I am absolutely not saying that's anything to boast about, or be proud of, or whatever. But what I am saying is that is definitely not incompetent or pathetic. That's more like pretty average.

Is pretty average what we're hoping for, or anything to be really happy about? Nope. Not really. But it sure is a helluva lot better than pathetic and incompetent.
I disagree. We should be proud of our improvements. I hate the "playoffs or we suck" arguments around here.

Heard on the radio this morning something that made sense to me. While our record this year is pretty much the same as it was at this time in the season last year, this year's team is better than last year. One stat stands out. Right now, the M's are at +22 in run differential, which is a middling rank at 14th in baseball. I don't know the exact stat, but I do know that we were never positive in RD after about May, if not earlier.

They've put together a pretty good team here, and being a buyer this summer would do a lot for team morale and fan interest. We may not be a 100 win team yet, but we're pretty good. Jerry and especially Servais take a lot of flack. Maybe it's deserved, but frankly wringing 90+ wins out of that roster last season was some pretty good managing IMO. Personally, think they over-rely on the shift and decisions don't always make sense in the moment, but still...credit where it is due.

Threedee

Reaction score
I disagree. We should be proud of our improvements. I hate the "playoffs or we suck" arguments around here.

Heard on the radio this morning something that made sense to me. While our record this year is pretty much the same as it was at this time in the season last year, this year's team is better than last year. One stat stands out. Right now, the M's are at +22 in run differential, which is a middling rank at 14th in baseball. I don't know the exact stat, but I do know that we were never positive in RD after about May, if not earlier.

They've put together a pretty good team here, and being a buyer this summer would do a lot for team morale and fan interest. We may not be a 100 win team yet, but we're pretty good. Jerry and especially Servais take a lot of flack. Maybe it's deserved, but frankly wringing 90+ wins out of that roster last season was some pretty good managing IMO. Personally, think they over-rely on the shift and decisions don't always make sense in the moment, but still...credit where it is due.
I think we suck, with or without the playoffs, on account of this 45-year-old fact that we are the Seattle Mariners.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I think this team makes the playoffs. I said it before the year started. Also, SOS is easy in September so should help.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I think we make the playoffs too. We have a really tough stretch of games after the all star break where we have to play the Astros and Yankees 13 times in 20 games, but after that the schedule is pretty soft. If we can manage to to go at least like 5-8 in that 13 game stretch, we should be okay. We have the luxury of playing in the AL West, so we will see a lot of the A’s and Angels, and not like the Rangers are anything too special.

Let’s not forget they’re adding even another playoff spot. If this were old MLB playoffs format from 10 years ago I’d say no. If this were last years format, I’d say 50/50 at best. But with three wild card teams, we should make it.

Anything short of making it and it’s a failed season IMO. We keep pushing the goal posts back. We were suppose to compete in 2020, then pushed back to 2021, then this year. At some point enough is enough. Just make the playoffs. Still think we need another starting pitcher and a 2B, maybe even one who can swing and play the left side of the infield. We have very little depth behind Suarez and Crawford.

The season is a marathon. So yes, no reason to give up on them when they were 9 GB of the WC, but digging yourself in a hole leaves less room for error, as shown last season.

Ruminator

Reaction score
I'm enjoying the now while simultaneously cringing, already, at the upcoming 13 games vs Yankees and Astros. But like I said before, even if we win just a third of those games, we could still be playing ball beyond game #162.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, and for some reason, some people would rather dwell on the past. We all know the ridiculous history of this team.
But, that has nothing to do with this current team. There is clearly something different. And I honestly thought they looked toast a few weeks back when they were sitting at 10 games under .500
That being said, even the biggest sceptic seem to be enjoying this run. Shoot, I get it, most of the doubt is pretty justified for a team who has been around since 77, and only made the playoffs 4 times. Ouch

Last edited:

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I readily admit I am very bandwagon when it comes to baseball (will only jump on the Mariners bandwagon, over the last 2 decades I basically haven't consumed MLB at all.) It just doesn't hold enough entertainment value for me to follow as a diehard fan. Is it time to jump back on the bandwagon? People were talking like this at the beginning of the year as well and then they fell apart.
I caught the last 4 or 5 innings of multiple games this week. Pulled my bandwagon jumping shoes out of the closet and dusted them off. I am really close to putting them on and lacing them up.

Last edited:

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I don't think there is anything wrong with being a Mariners bandwagon fan. To be honest, the organization is lucky to get all the support they do with how awful they have been. Somehow they are usually in the middle of the league in attendance.

I somewhat bandwagon them to because I don't have the time to waste on watching a bad product. I will also say, I don't mind watching a bad football team, because it is 17 games of my time, one day a week, compared to watching a bad product nearly every day.

I usually follow the team to start the season. Depending how they do, they either keep my interest or lose my interest. This year, was kind of a roller coaster, and like most fans, I lost interest when they were about 10 games under .500. And like most fans, I'm watching pretty much all the time because they can't stop winning.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
We have seven (7) remaining games against the Astros, none after July 31st, which I find amazing in a weird sense.

Imagine a sweep. 7-0. How amazing would that be!!

Last edited: