Is this really happening?

W

Welshers

Someone pinch me, punch me, wake me up...

A month ago I said scottie should be fired and they should just move this pathetic franchise from the city...

Then they've gone 16-3 for their best run since 2003 and won 8 in a row.

Could this be the year the longest playoff drought in American sports finally ends?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Glad that I couldn't be more wrong about this team. A few weeks ago, I thought they were just gonna' do the same old "almost" be good enough thing. Nope, they are legit contenders. Esp. if they get Haniger and Lewis back.

sutz

Reaction score
Now I have to warn in the other direction. When we were in suck mode, I kept telling you guys it's a long season. There was still time to turn it around.

Now it's the opposite. They're flying high for a couple of weeks, and everybody is getting giddy, but it's only July. Plenty of time to 'Mariner out' on this season. :LOL:

You can thank me later.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
When you really look at it, the Brawl with the Angels changed everything imo. Completely different team since then. And locked in.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
Last time I was "GIDDY" about the mariners was 2001. Yeah, plenty of time is right!
This has been a very entertaining year so far tho.

sutz

Reaction score
When you really look at it, the Brawl with the Angels changed everything imo. Completely different team since then. And locked in.
I kind of agree. It didn't help that day because they booted our three best hitters, though still almost pulled it off. But the team has seemed to be more 'together' since that game. They've certainly put some good games together and strung some wins.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
There just seems to be something different about this team. Hard to say what it is, but they are tight and clearly are a TEAM.

balakoth

Reaction score
I kind of agree. It didn't help that day because they booted our three best hitters, though still almost pulled it off. But the team has seemed to be more 'together' since that game. They've certainly put some good games together and strung some wins.
Watching them in the Dugout on saturday live.. they look together.. and super happy.. and free. Kinda like when you were a kid playing the game. Julio is a GIANT kid lol. He fun demeanor seems infectious almost

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Rodriguez is proving to be an incredible, dynamic player. Potentially the future of the franchise, if they're willing to do what it takes to keep him around.

Any of you guys see that dinger he jacked all the way to the left field terrace? That much power on a pulled swing. Muh gawd.

What an utterly terrifying batter for big league pitchers to face.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Rodriguez is proving to be an incredible, dynamic player. Potentially the future of the franchise, if they're willing to do what it takes to keep him around.

Any of you guys see that dinger he jacked all the way to the left field terrace? That much power on a pulled swing. Muh gawd.

What an utterly terrifying batter for big league pitchers to face.
And he's only a rookie. Just, wow.

Chapow

Reaction score
Now I have to warn in the other direction. When we were in suck mode, I kept telling you guys it's a long season. There was still time to turn it around.

Now it's the opposite. They're flying high for a couple of weeks, and everybody is getting giddy, but it's only July. Plenty of time to 'Mariner out' on this season. :LOL:

You can thank me later.
View attachment 53709

This. People lose sight of the fact that it's a 162 game season. That is a REALLY long season. Nearly every team, every season, goes through stretches where they look very good, and stretches where they look very bad. If you start throwing tantrums about how pathetic they are when they're going through a bad stretch, you're probably going to look pretty silly when they go through a good stretch. If you start declaring them "legit contenders" when they're in the midst of a good stretch, you're probably going to look pretty silly when they inevitably come back down to earth.

While the past 20 or so games has been awesome, and super fun to watch, it's almost certainly not sustainable. I think this team might be a contender for a wildcard spot, but they aren't winning the division. The Astros are just a straight up better team, and it'd be awfully difficult to make up 12 games and surpass a superior team to take the division. And it's not like the Astros haven't been playing well. We're 9-1 over our last 10, which is fantastic, but the Astros are 8-2 over their last 10. Pretty difficult to make up ground if going 9-1 is only gaining you 1 game in the standings.

I mean, it's sports. Sometimes shocking, amazing things happen. You never know. Regardless, at least this team has been fun to watch lately, and as a lifelong Mariners fan, that's about all I can really hope for.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

This. People lose sight of the fact that it's a 162 game season. That is a REALLY long season. Nearly every team, every season, goes through stretches where they look very good, and stretches where they look very bad. If you start throwing tantrums about how pathetic they are when they're going through a bad stretch, you're probably going to look pretty silly when they go through a good stretch. If you start declaring them "legit contenders" when they're in the midst of a good stretch, you're probably going to look pretty silly when they inevitably come back down to earth.

While the past 20 or so games has been awesome, and super fun to watch, it's almost certainly not sustainable. I think this team might be a contender for a wildcard spot, but they aren't winning the division. The Astros are just a straight up better team, and it'd be awfully difficult to make up 12 games and surpass a superior team to take the division. And it's not like the Astros haven't been playing well. We're 9-1 over our last 10, which is fantastic, but the Astros are 8-2 over their last 10. Pretty difficult to make up ground if going 9-1 is only gaining you 1 game in the standings.

I mean, it's sports. Sometimes shocking, amazing things happen. You never know. Regardless, at least this team has been fun to watch lately, and as a lifelong Mariners fan, that's about all I can really hope for.
I mean I completely agree they have no shot at the division. Like I said it's just looking at this point, only 1 GB, that they have a chance to get a wildcard spot and end the playoff drought. That's all. I am in no way expecting this team to continue this hot of a streak.

I too am a lifelong Mariners fan and my frustration comes simply from the fact of 20+ years of incompetence. By now it is fair to call the organization pathetic. However I was wrong to judge too quickly, they have a chance at salvaging the season.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I readily admit I am very bandwagon when it comes to baseball (will only jump on the Mariners bandwagon, over the last 2 decades I basically haven't consumed MLB at all.) It just doesn't hold enough entertainment value for me to follow as a diehard fan. Is it time to jump back on the bandwagon? People were talking like this at the beginning of the year as well and then they fell apart.

Chapow

Reaction score
I mean I completely agree they have no shot at the division. Like I said it's just looking at this point, only 1 GB, that they have a chance to get a wildcard spot and end the playoff drought. That's all. I am in no way expecting this team to continue this hot of a streak.

I too am a lifelong Mariners fan and my frustration comes simply from the fact of 20+ years of incompetence. By now it is fair to call the organization pathetic. However I was wrong to judge too quickly, they have a chance at salvaging the season.

While the playoff drought is certainly a stain on the organization, and flat out sucks a big floppy donkey dick, I do think people tend to get a little bit too stuck on that and lose sight of, well, pretty much everything else.

I think it's pretty fair to call the 10 years from 2004 thru 2013 incompetent and pathetic. That was heinous. However, since 2013 they've only had 1 truly bad season, they've had 4 seasons with winning records, and a few of those seasons they were in the playoff hunt very late into September. I am absolutely not saying that's anything to boast about, or be proud of, or whatever. But what I am saying is that is definitely not incompetent or pathetic. That's more like pretty average.

Is pretty average what we're hoping for, or anything to be really happy about? Nope. Not really. But it sure is a helluva lot better than pathetic and incompetent.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

I readily admit I am very bandwagon when it comes to baseball (will only jump on the Mariners bandwagon, over the last 2 decades I basically haven't consumed MLB at all.) It just doesn't hold enough entertainment value for me to follow as a diehard fan. Is it time to jump back on the bandwagon? People were talking like this at the beginning of the year as well and then they fell apart.
Odds are they will likely fall apart as they did after there hot start to begin the year. Or, as has been customary in recent years, end with a winning record but still just short of the playoffs because their division is brutal.

While the playoff drought is certainly a stain on the organization, and flat out sucks a big floppy donkey dick, I do think people tend to get a little bit too stuck on that and lose sight of, well, pretty much everything else.

I think it's pretty fair to call the 10 years from 2004 thru 2013 incompetent and pathetic. That was heinous. However, since 2013 they've only had 1 truly bad season, they've had 4 seasons with winning records, and a few of those seasons they were in the playoff hunt very late into September. I am absolutely not saying that's anything to boast about, or be proud of, or whatever. But what I am saying is that is definitely not incompetent or pathetic. That's more like pretty average.

Is pretty average what we're hoping for, or anything to be really happy about? Nope. Not really. But it sure is a helluva lot better than pathetic and incompetent.
You make a good point about recent years but the fact is they always come up short. They had a moment last year where their destiny was in their hands and of course they choked when it mattered most. It's just become so predictable at this point. But I'll concede they have improved in recent years obviously. And then when they go through a bad streak I think here we go again and overreact lol

Latest posts