Is it just me or?

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2wihisb3 said:
By the time Russ needs to be replaced at QB, I think the norm in the league will be for rookie QB's to be playing right away. We've seen the success some have had and this whole thing where you risk "ruining" a guy always sounded absurd to me. You either get it, put in the work, and play well or you don't. If you're mentally weak to where some early career struggles will turn you into a crappy player, it was gonna happen anyways. Obviously there are injury exceptions to this rule; RG3 probably would have had a much better career if he had sat, learned to slide, etc.

as stated, yeah find a good backup, but we are a long ways off from a 'next in line' guy.

I know there is speculation that Russ will be in for a big payday, and while I don't expect him to take some bargain basement deal to stay here, I think if he feels like staying here is his best chance to win, especially if Pete stays, his deal will be workable. He has always preached consistency, nothing could be less consistent than starting elsewhere with a new coach and a new team.

It depends on the player, what system they were in and how much they were invlolved with it. Players that just do what they are told and let the OC do all the thinking and throw to player A, B, or C, and not read a lot of defenses or progressions won't be successful, Alex McGough is a good example of a QB that needs growth and showed some potential, also throwing a QB into the fire with little around him as far as players and a O line gets you David Carr and Ric Mirer syndrome. Look at the Browns, they spent a lot of draft resources on QB's without a team around them to help them out. Failure after Failure, I mean even a broken clock is right twice a day and Cleveland wasn't even that. Until they built a team first. Mayfield is looking better then anyone in decades there because he now has a team that helps him.

Oh and a Coach that can nurture them in integration is important also, the Head Coach has to be on the same page too, why Pete is so successful here.