If Brown holds out into the season?

hawks85

Reaction score
kf3339":14jqi8v5 said:
Sgt. Largent":14jqi8v5 said:
I can't imagine at age 36 in the last year of his deal that Brown would be willing to miss 500k game checks.

This is it for him, he's got maybe 2-3 more years of making 5-10M. To give up that kind of money to try and force the Hawk's hand in an extension? That they won't cave into?

Can't see it.

Agreed. He's not holding out and we shouldn't give him an extension. There is no way any other team is going to trade for or sign him at 36 years old for anything close to this years salary. If he persists in wanting an extension and does hold out then sign an FA and cut him. At some point you have to call the bluff, or cut bait. Sorry, but that's my take.

Yup, I couldn't care less if Brown plays this season or not. Everyone acting like Brown is the savior of this team. Dude is 36 and has 1 year left on his contract. He's making 10 mil this season WTF is bitching and moaning about. 10 mil for a 36 year old Lineman is a lot of damn money.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":2nosc0eg said:
I am sooooo tired every year having a couple of asshats b!@ch and moan and threaten to hold out or demand a trade when they have another year left on their deal. You signed a deal. Honor it.

Me too. The older I get the less patience I have for this type of s$$t. The attitude laden holding out started with Kam and I have NOT been happy with it ever since..... Not that anyone is really asking me in the Hawks FO tho ;)

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
dude aint missing a single game check. Holdouts don't work anymore

John63

Reaction score
He is still a top 10 LT and we have no one even closee to him ...yet. He may play he may not but either way weather rit this year or next we have a problem.

Fade

Reaction score

His teammates will turn on him. Other guys livelihoods are on the line. Players are cool with holdouts in the pre-season, once the regular season comes, their attitudes change.

Normally I would think, he would be there week 1 without question. But he is old, played a long time, made a lot of money. He doesn't need to play necessarily. So he might just go through with it. We'll see.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
TreeRon":304s5n9v said:
Trade something to Miami for Anatone, Washington great Jesse Davis, who BTW was once a Tom Cable project. (Not going to happen but I thought I'd throw it out there.)
Dangle Trey Flowers out there and tell them he’s having a “great camp” (but not pay any attention to his games).
That should be enough right?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
hawks85":3ez9f1s6 said:
kf3339":3ez9f1s6 said:
Sgt. Largent":3ez9f1s6 said:
I can't imagine at age 36 in the last year of his deal that Brown would be willing to miss 500k game checks.

This is it for him, he's got maybe 2-3 more years of making 5-10M. To give up that kind of money to try and force the Hawk's hand in an extension? That they won't cave into?

Can't see it.

Agreed. He's not holding out and we shouldn't give him an extension. There is no way any other team is going to trade for or sign him at 36 years old for anything close to this years salary. If he persists in wanting an extension and does hold out then sign an FA and cut him. At some point you have to call the bluff, or cut bait. Sorry, but that's my take.

Yup, I couldn't care less if Brown plays this season or not. Everyone acting like Brown is the savior of this team. Dude is 36 and has 1 year left on his contract. He's making 10 mil this season WTF is bitching and moaning about. 10 mil for a 36 year old Lineman is a lot of damn money.

Asinine. 'Hawk fans wring their hands for years over subpar pass protection then get a left tackle who puts up seasons of arguably top-5 pass protection, and then you've got posts like this diminishing his impact.

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":xynynmv2 said:
hawks85":xynynmv2 said:
kf3339":xynynmv2 said:
Sgt. Largent":xynynmv2 said:

Can't see it.

Yup, I couldn't care less if Brown plays this season or not. Everyone acting like Brown is the savior of this team. Dude is 36 and has 1 year left on his contract. He's making 10 mil this season WTF is b!@ch and moaning about. 10 mil for a 36 year old Lineman is a lot of damn money.

Asinine. 'Hawk fans wring their hands for years over subpar pass protection then get a left tackle who puts up seasons of arguably top-5 pass protection, and then you've got posts like this diminishing his impact.

Ther is a group that dismisses a lot of player's impact on this team. It's a shame.

chris98251

Reaction score
The have to be careful, could start a domino effect with others on the team and then dissention.

AgentDib

Reaction score
chris98251":cpd96xfw said:
The have to be careful, could start a domino effect with others on the team and then dissention.
What's unusual about Brown wanting an extension with a single year left on his contract? I don't understand why people think this is some kind of slippery slope. We always extend players with one season to go if we want to keep them around. If we don't get an extension done now with Brown or Diggs then they will be playing elsewhere in 2022.

The unusual thing for the Hawks is talking about contracts with two years remaining. We have only actually done something once (small bump in guarantees for Marshawn) but it was probably a factor in the ensuing problems with Kam and Earl with two years on their deals that we didn't budge on.

chris98251

Reaction score
AgentDib":24153oqa said:
chris98251":24153oqa said:
What's unusual about Brown wanting an extension with a single year left on his contract? I don't understand why people think this is some kind of slippery slope. We always extend players with one season to go if we want to keep them around. If we don't get an extension done now with Brown or Diggs then they will be playing elsewhere in 2022.

The unusual thing for the Hawks is talking about contracts with two years remaining. We have only actually done something once (small bump in guarantees for Marshawn) but it was probably a factor in the ensuing problems with Kam and Earl with two years on their deals that we didn't budge on.

Thats the kind of domino I am talking about, Brown having past injury issues and age plays into this, you have to be careful about guaranteed money and incentive the hell out of it for attendance in games and such, you may do a up front bonus and possibly add a year but carefully. You don't want a 17 million hole in your cap if he can't play for some reason also.

AgentDib

Reaction score
chris98251":39wmezzv said:
Brown having past injury issues and age plays into this, you have to be careful about guaranteed money and incentive the hell out of it for attendance in games and such, you may do a up front bonus and possibly add a year but carefully. You don't want a 17 million hole in your cap if he can't play for some reason also.
That's fair, and if Brown is looking for a bigger extension than we can tolerate there could be an impasse.

There is an extension out there that's a good deal for both parties though and I'd rather we find it rather than making him play out his final year and then go elsewhere.

Tokadub

Reaction score
seabowl":ov6la9nz said:
Would you want the Hawks to sign either Fluker or Carpenter who are both free agents now? I know they are better suited for Guard but their experience can't hurt and both are still considered "not old" for OL.

Thoughts?

Carpenter was complete trash I want nothing to do with him.

I'm ok with Fluker (on the team not LT) although I'll admit I haven't studied him or anything.

But to answer your question, if Duane Brown holds out... We are in BIG trouble!

Wilson might actually get injured and finally miss a game if it comes to that.

I hate to say it but Duane Brown actually has ALL the leverage. I don't think we can play without him. He could hold out and we'll just lose many many games.

It's just an unfortunate Jamal Adams contract effect, we can't get the guys we need happy anymore (if we can get them at all).

Tokadub

Reaction score
I kinda wish we still had George Fant to be honest, his footwork always impressed me. He could really move seemed to have a lot of potential.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Fade":1qn71385 said:

His teammates will turn on him. Other guys livelihoods are on the line. Players are cool with holdouts in the pre-season, once the regular season comes, their attitudes change.

Normally I would think, he would be there week 1 without question. But he is old, played a long time, made a lot of money. He doesn't need to play necessarily. So he might just go through with it. We'll see.

I kinda agree, it's very possible... I'm sure he doesn't need the money.

This might be a result of Wilson throwing the Offensive Line under the bus this off season. THAT WAS SO UNNECESSARILY STUPID FOR WILSON TO SAY THAT PUBLICLY!

He should of been talking to the coaches and Schneider NOT THE MEDIA. I hate to beat a dead horse but I think Ciara influenced him to gain attention by making some controversial comments... The Wilson I used to know would never say that stuff.

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/new...deserves-to-take-issue-with-their-quarterback

"We've got to get better up front," Wilson told Patrick early Tuesday morning.

Walter Jones view:

"You should leave that in house...once you call those guys out they're probably like 'really?'"
@BigWalt71 on Wilson complaining about getting hit too much

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
hawks85":3w3eiqpk said:
Yup, I couldn't care less if Brown plays this season or not. Everyone acting like Brown is the savior of this team. Dude is 36 and has 1 year left on his contract. He's making 10 mil this season WTF is b!@ch and moaning about. 10 mil for a 36 year old Lineman is a lot of damn money.

They just gave a safety 70 million. If Brown sits out and doesnt get signed, Wilson will leave next year. He may be 36, but he's still one of the best tackles in the league. Not signing him is just sending a message that Pete and the FO just dont care about the oline and Russ. A deal needs to be done.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3ked2yzn said:
hawks85":3ked2yzn said:

They just gave a safety 70 million. If Brown sits out and doesnt get signed, Wilson will leave next year. He may be 36, but he's still one of the best tackles in the league. Not signing him is just sending a message that Pete and the FO just dont care about the oline and Russ. A deal needs to be done.

Could it be, Brown is tied to his Agent?
If I were Brown I would take the bonus money but, he is more than likely under contract with his agent till next year.
I'm sure DB wants to get himself out on the field and in shape for his last year. He knows his conditioning and team mates are going to be in jeopardy without practice . What a tough situation to be in because someone else is trying to make themselves some money.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
With our 'CENTER' position being in question, John needs to quit screwing around, and solidify the LT position by extending Brown a couple more years, as he's shown that he still has some kick a$$ left in his game.
I could understand their reluctance if his play was in the bottom half of Leagues' Left Tackles, but he's still playing in the top ten percentile, and hasn't shown any signs of drop off in his play.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but, I don't think he played a full season last year. Nothing against DW by any means. He has been great for the Hawks through the years but remember he is 36.Staying in shape after 14 years at 315lbs is asking alot. Sorry but age does catch up. To say he will be top 10 this coming year I think will be a stretch.