2023 Seahawks Depth Chart, Roster Moves, Cap Position

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Burns agent Drew Rosenhaus says his client signed with the Seahawks for 1 year for $ 2 million.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I guess so as a back up he's relatively expensive, but this player was drafted 25th OA when drafted in 2016 and surely as a long armed CB was a player of interest then to the Hawks. Given the recent knee scope surgery on Woolen, Burns is solid insurance at the position. Last season he was barely healthy and fought a hamstring problem all season.

Here's a WIKI on Burns:

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
OTC has the contracts for Arte Burns and Mario Edwards. Both are on minimum vet deals. Burns is all non-guaranteed money. Edwards got the $152,500 bonus, which is the max to keep the veteran minimum benefit.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks SantaClara!!! Much appreciated. This thread is easier to keep current with the assistance of each of us contributing.

It sure seems the team is looking for a particular player at NT, as they sift through candidates.

Updated.

Last edited:

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Here's a nugget that hasn't been discussed anywhere else that I can see.

When we brought back Bobby Wagner, his contract was reported as having a 2023 cap hit of $5.5M.

I've been tracking NFLPA cap totals, and some time in late April our cap went down by $1.5M. I had no idea what that was, and just chalked it up to the overall nebulous nature of NFL cap space. I didn't dig into the actual contracts until last week and that's when i saw Wagner was at $7M.

The difference is in his projected bonuses, so all I can assume is the potential bonuses in his deal were deemed to be "likely to be earned", and thus count right now. If a LTBE bonus isn't earned, the team will get credit into the next season.

So there you go for all you roster/cap geeks.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Here's a nugget that hasn't been discussed anywhere else that I can see.

When we brought back Bobby Wagner, his contract was reported as having a 2023 cap hit of $5.5M.

I've been tracking NFLPA cap totals, and some time in late April our cap went down by $1.5M. I had no idea what that was, and just chalked it up to the overall nebulous nature of NFL cap space. I didn't dig into the actual contracts until last week and that's when i saw Wagner was at $7M.

The difference is in his projected bonuses, so all I can assume is the potential bonuses in his deal were deemed to be "likely to be earned", and thus count right now. If a LTBE bonus isn't earned, the team will get credit into the next season.

So there you go for all you roster/cap geeks.

I wish they'd release what those bonus dollars are for. It would be interesting to see ahead of time.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks Hawkstorian, as ever you are still the cap guru.

You always have the insights that bear closer examination. Must say though I'm happy that BW is back with the team, whatever the bonus situation if he still can play at a high level the team will be stronger at ILB than last season, even if like kidhawk it'd be nice to know what those LTBE bonuses might be for.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks Jville, this is an interesting change for rookie contracts.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
NT- Latrell Bumphus who was waived injured has not been claimed and so reverts to IR.

Jville

Reaction score
I would think Latrell Bumphus is now a practice squad candidate. There is a rather limited population of athletic big men as compared to say defensive backs. The last thing they need is come up short of interior defensive linemen again this season. An extra roster spot reserved for a defensive lineman this year as part of practice squad roster churn wouldn't hurt.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
As he is on IR now he'd have to be waived or reach an injury settlement, and/or clear waivers before he could be added to the PS, so he's likely to stay there on IR until needed.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Interesting the team never officially announced cutting C.J. Johnson. He's no longer on the .Com roster. The team right now has an open roster spot.