2023 Seahawks Depth Chart, Roster Moves, Cap Position

kidhawk

Reaction score
Interesting the team never officially announced cutting C.J. Johnson. He's no longer on the .Com roster. The team right now has an open roster spot.

Spotrac shows him as waived on June 5

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Yep, and that’s why I appreciate the heck out of the help you guys give, b/c the team’s transaction reports are very often simply out of date.

There are other sites reporting on transactions that tend to be current and it is often a necessity to confirm information prior to it being reported here. Frankly with the input here our page here is often the most accurate team roster site.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
As we are all aware the team has 89 players on their roster under contract, and has so this year since June 5th.

This situation seems to be a new, since late last year, state of affairs with the team being somewhat cap strapped.

Maybe this situation is because this is slow time of year, or that the team is waiting on a player to agree to sign, or they just want to have the quick ability to add a player. I'm just not sure but it seems odd that the team would want go into TC without a full 90 man roster. However, maybe this is perhaps simply meaningless.

kidhawk

Reaction score
As we are all aware the team has 89 players on their roster under contract, and has so this year since June 5th.

This situation seems to be a new, since late last year, state of affairs with the team being somewhat cap strapped.

Maybe this situation is because this is slow time of year, or that the team is waiting on a player to agree to sign, or they just want to have the quick ability to add a player. I'm just not sure but it seems odd that the team would want go into TC without a full 90 man roster. However, maybe this is perhaps simply meaningless.

I would expect that slot to be filled prior to the start of TC. No real reason to rush it. As you said, we are tight on cap right now, so unless there's a player you really want to get, it's best to wait for now. I also see no reason to have a space for a quick sign, because I doubt it takes them any significant amount of time to file release paperwork, and I assume it can be done nearly simultaneously with the signing. Of course now that I'm posting this, they'll probably add a player by the end of the day.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
For me my post above was an observation of a state of affairs I percieve to be somewhat unusual.

I agree completely with your observations.

kidhawk

Reaction score
For me my post above was an observation of a state of affairs I perceive to be somewhat unusual.

I agree completely with your observations.
I agree, It's definitely odd for Pete and John. They excel in swapping players in and out of the roster and using every space to look at every available option, so it is curious. Would be nice if one of the reporters would ask the reasoning during one of his pressers. Of course I'm sure he'd give some answer that doesn't really tell us anything.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Possibly, but it could be they are waiting on a player to decide to sign here. Who knows, but it seems odd.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Seems like a bit of a league-wide thing. The Rams only have 86 roster players right now.

Jville

Reaction score
As noted on page one of this roster and depth chart thread ....................

NT- 77- LaTrell Bumphus, (WI), reverts to IR

................ I'm guessing Bumphus, who reverted to IR with injury designation, brings their roster count up to 90.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Last edited:

Jville

Reaction score

JULY
July 17At 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for any club that designated a Franchise Player to sign such player to a multiyear contract or extension. After this date, the player may sign only a one-year contract with his prior club for the 2023 season, and such contract cannot be extended until after the club’s last regular season game.
Mid-JulyClubs are permitted to open preseason training camp for rookies (defined as a player who has never signed a player contract with an NFL club in a prior League Year) beginning seven days prior to the club’s earliest permissible mandatory reporting date for veteran players. A club’s preseason training camp will be deemed to have officially opened on the designated reporting date for all rookies.
Clubs may require first-year players (defined as a player who signed a player contract with any NFL club in a prior League Year, but who does not have a pension-credited season) to report on the designated reporting date for all rookies, or at any time thereafter, including, but not limited to, the designated reporting date for veteran quarterbacks and injured players, or the designated reporting date for all other veteran players.
Veteran quarterbacks and “injured players” (as defined in CBA Article 21, Section 6) may be required to report to the club’s preseason training camp no earlier than five days immediately prior to the mandatory reporting date for all other veteran players, provided the club has already opened (or simultaneously opens) its official preseason training camp for all rookies.
Beginning on the date that the first training camp opens for rookies through the last business day prior to the Super Bowl, all tryouts and visits will be reported to clubs on the Personnel Notice.
July 24At 4:00 p.m., New York time, signing period ends for Transition Players with outstanding tenders. After this date and until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, prior club has exclusive negotiating rights.
At 4:00 p.m., New York time, on July 24 (or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp [July 19 in 2023], whichever is later) signing Period ends for Unrestricted Free Agents to whom a “UFA Tender” was made by Prior Club. After this date and until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, Prior Club has exclusive negotiating rights.

AUGUST
Aug. 3Hall of Fame Game, New York Jets vs. Cleveland Browns, Canton, OH
Aug. 8If a drafted rookie has not signed with his club by this date, he cannot be traded to any other club in 2023 and may sign a player contract only with the drafting club until the day of the Draft in the 2024 League Year.
Aug. 10-13First Preseason Weekend
Aug. 17-21Second Preseason Weekend
Aug. 24-27Third Preseason Weekend
Aug. 29Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players on the Active/Inactive List.
Simultaneously with the roster reduction to 53 players, clubs that have players in the categories of Active/Physically Unable to Perform or Active/Non-Football Injury or Illness must select one of the following options: place player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/Non- Football Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; terminate or request waivers with the designation of Failed Physical or Non- Football Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; request waivers; terminate contract; trade contract; or continue to count the player on the Active List.
Players who are on the Reserve List or Exempt List and are not counting against the 90-player limit will begin to count against the 90-player limit.
Aug. 30Claiming period for players placed on waivers at the final roster reduction will expire at 12:00 noon, New York time.
Upon receipt of the subsequent Personnel Notice, clubs may establish a Practice Squad of 16 players. Clubs participating in the International Player Development Program may sign one additional international player to a practice player contract. No club, including the player’s prior club, will be permitted to sign a player to a practice player contract until all clubs have received simultaneous notification via the above Personnel Notice that such player’s prior NFL player contract has been terminated via the waiver system.
Beginning at 4:00 p.m., New York time, any player placed on Reserve/Injured, Reserve/Non- Football Injury or Illness, or Practice Squad; Injured during the regular season or postseason, may be designated for return later in the season, subject to the applicable procedures.

SEPTEMBER
Sept. 3Final day of preseason training camp for all clubs, as defined in CBA Article 23, Section 10.
Sept. 4-9In accordance with the Personnel (Injury) Report Policy, each club is required to file a Practice Report with the NFL Communications department by 4:00 p.m., New York time, (or as soon as possible after the completion of practice) every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday for a regular season Monday game; Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday for a Thursday game; Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for a Friday game; Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for a Saturday game; and Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday for a Sunday game.

Each club must also file a weekly regular season Game Status Report with the NFL Communications department by 4:00 p.m., New York time (or as soon as possible after the completion of practice) on Wednesday for a Thursday game, Thursday for a Friday or Saturday game, Friday for a Sunday game, and Saturday for a Monday game. An update must be reported if there is any change in a player's condition after the initial Game Status Report is filed.
Sept. 7, 10-11Kickoff Weekend
Sept. 29,
Oct. 2-3
Beginning on the day after a club’s fourth regular season game (including any bye week), it is permitted to begin practicing players on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform and Reserve/Non-Football Injury or Illness (if the player failed his preseason physical due to a non- football injury or illness) for a period not to exceed 21 days. Players may be activated during the 21-day practice period, or prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the day after the conclusion of the 21-day period.

OCTOBER
Oct. 1NFL International Game at Wembley Stadium (London, United Kingdom) Atlanta Falcons vs. Jacksonville Jaguars
Oct. 8NFL International Game at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium (London, United Kingdom) Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Buffalo Bills
Oct. 15NFL International Game at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium (London, United Kingdom) Baltimore Ravens vs. Tennessee Titans
Oct. 17-18Fall League Meeting, New York
Oct. 31All trading ends for 2023 at 4:00 p.m., New York time.

NOVEMBER
Nov. 1Players with at least four previous pension-credited seasons are subject to the waiver system for the remainder of the regular season and postseason.
Nov. 5NFL International Game at Frankfurt Stadium (Frankfurt, Germany) Miami Dolphins vs. Kansas City Chiefs
Nov. 12NFL International Game at Frankfurt Stadium (Frankfurt, Germany) Indianapolis Colts vs. New England Patriots
Nov. 14At 4:00 p.m., New York time, signing period ends for Franchise Players who are eligible to receive offer sheets.
Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to sign their unsigned Franchise and Transition Players, including Franchise Players who were eligible to receive offer sheets until this date. If still unsigned after this date, such players are prohibited from playing in NFL in 2023.
Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to sign their unrestricted free agents to whom the “UFA Tender” was made. If still unsigned after this date, such players are prohibited from playing in NFL in 2023.
Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for Clubs to sign their restricted free agents, including those to whom the “June 1 Tender” was made. If such players remain unsigned after this date, they are prohibited from playing in NFL in 2023.

DECEMBER
Dec. 12-13Special League Meeting/Front Office Accelerator, Irving, TX

JANUARY
Jan. 6-7Week 18
Jan. 8Clubs may begin signing free agent players for the 2024 season.
Earliest permissible date for clubs to renegotiate or extend the rookie contract of a drafted rookie who was selected in any round of the 2021 NFL Draft or any undrafted rookie who signed in 2022. Any permissible renegotiated or extended player contract will not be considered a rookie contract, and will not be subject to the rules that limit rookie contracts.
Clubs may exercise fifth-year options for players selected in the first round of the 2021 NFL Draft.
Jan. 10Beginning at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Wednesday following the final regular season weekend, rosters are frozen for clubs participating in the postseason with limited exceptions.
Jan. 13-15Wild Card Playoff Games
Jan. 15Special Eligibility Deadline. Deadline for college players who are underclassmen to apply for Special Eligibility. A list of underclassmen who have been approved for entry into the 2024 NFL Draft will be sent to clubs on January 19.
Jan. 20-21Divisional Playoff Games
Jan. 28AFC and NFC Championship Games

FEBRUARY
Feb. 4Pro Bowl Games
Feb. 11Super Bowl LVIII, Allegiant Stadium, Las Vegas

Source of Important Dates >>> https://operations.nfl.com/gameday/nfl-schedule/2023-24-important-nfl-dates/

Hawkstorian

Reaction score

Jegpeg

Reaction score
I believe there is a spelling error in the depth chart.
Isn't is Darrell Taylor not Daryl Taylor.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I note in passing that the team still hasn't got either rookie draft picks CB- Witherspoon or RB- Charbonnet signed to a deal yet. This is a bit of a present day unusual situation with rookie contracts however the RBs are trying to attempt to vary the terms of their standard contracts.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
LOL

Yep, that'd be right I guess, though distinguishing between those old TV shows is NOT something that off the cuff light hearted remark involved in terms of research.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I imagine Nwosu's extention will end up saving some 2023 cap space, giving the team enough buffer going into the season. Interested to see how the final numbers pan out.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I think that was a good re-signing 3 years with a potential of $59 mil., read somewhere that the base contract was $45mil. with incentives to $59 mil.

Nwosu for sure played well last year and is a keeper.

Am expecting there will be a cap savings and the team will then sign both Charbonnet, and Witherspoon and possibly add another player to the DLine.

Last edited: