2023 Seahawks Depth Chart, Roster Moves, Cap Position

kidhawk

Reaction score
It will be my plan to commence the new thread during SB week, time permitting.

i’d like to save the next two posts after the OP so if we again run into the character limits the info can remain continuous.

JS has demonstrated he is not shy about churning the roster at positions of perceived weakness so another 330+ roster move season would be quite feasible.

i expect JS to be busy trying to rebuild this roster. Some much loved players may be moved out and some hard decisions made about personnel.

I’m sure it will be interesting to watch and likely the subject of some controversy, and undoubted criticism. Anything worth building isn’t done overnight.

Patience will be needed.

With a new coach paired with the way JS likes to churn and we could see a new record for turnover

Jville

Reaction score
It will be my plan to commence the new thread during SB week, time permitting.

i’d like to save the next two posts after the OP so if we again run into the character limits the info can remain continuous.

JS has demonstrated he is not shy about churning the roster at positions of perceived weakness so another 330+ roster move season would be quite feasible.

i expect JS to be busy trying to rebuild this roster. Some much loved players may be moved out and some hard decisions made about personnel.

I’m sure it will be interesting to watch and likely the subject of some controversy, and undoubted criticism. Anything worth building isn’t done overnight.

Patience will be needed.

Thanks for all you do.

Upcoming event dates for the new thread follow ..........

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Wow!!!

Very comprehensive info.

As ever my friend, always appreciated!!!

Thanks Jville

bigcc

Reaction score
Looking at our cap room and potential moves needed to be made if otc numbers are accurate

We're currently 4.4 mil in the hole before the draft, need to sign/franchise leonard so assume down 20+

We need to trade/cut//Restructure geno (post June 1 ideally, but may need to be done earlier)- post June 1 saves 22.5 mil, pre June 1 saves 13.8 mil, Restructure saves 10.6

Restructure jamal/lockett for 7.6/7 mil added on

Extend diggs/love/dissly for 7.4/3.1/4.3

Keeps the band alive and with a new draft class (including whatever qb at 16) and some money for minor signings

Not exactly an ideal situation, I like geno as much as the next guy but not for the 65 million he's making over the next two years at 33 years old, draft a replacement and enjoy 5 years of a rookie contract at the helm.

For jamal, we save more this season restructuring than cutting him, I'd also personally prefer his contract run out naturally for hope of a comp pick.

Would save more by trading diggs but I don't know what the market is, this is his last year under contract so would get a comp if he walks, but I'd honestly just prefer extending for a year or two and ease this years burden a bit.

I love lockett as much as anyone else but 54 million over the next two years at 32/33 after a 900/5 season is absolutely brutal. Something needs to happen there.

Love will probably want to be a FA but can't hurt to try, dissly was grossly overpaid so an extension to smooth out his 10 mil cap hit makes sense.

Lot more freedom in 2025, Schneider is going to be busy this offseason, hope his staff can adequately manage our miserable cap situation and scout a potential qb in one of the deepest QB classes in recent memory

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks Hawkstorian, you were good to notice those signings, as ever your input is appreciated!!!

Updated.

Jville

Reaction score
Visited the coaches page over at seahawks.com and the only coach now listed is Head Coach Mike Macdonald. The entire 2023 coaching roster has been deleted. Looks like John and Mike are going to build a staff from scratch. https://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches-roster/

Macdonald is half the age of Carroll and has demonstrated excellent success coaching Gen Z .... Zoomers. I think that plus Macdonald's comfort with analytics may be a couple of keys to building a championship roster of coaches and players.

We are most definitely witnessing a John Schneider orchestrated reset. More evidence of the fourth turning I suppose.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
These are interesting times and like most of us older guys who are fans 'I'm jazzed'. JS was careful and complete in his search as we have come to expect for him.

The truly interesting part of this will be the staff he attracts to help him. So far he has a DC who was his ILB's coach (EDIT: apparently Zach Orr was not signed by Seattle and was promoted to DC by the Ravens). To me the most important guy for him will the coach that becomes his OC.

I think he could be a tremendous hire as I have a good deal of trust in JS.

Last edited:

Jville

Reaction score

............................ great news this morning. Karl Scott is a terrific teacher and a needed bridge assistant. And to think I was on the verge of deleting my collection of links about him. Patience ...... patience ....... patience

EDIT:
"Scott was hired by the Seahawks as a senior defensive assistant/passing game coordinator back in 2022, having spent his first NFL season with the Minnesota Vikings. Under Scott’s watch, the Seahawks have had cornerbacks Riq Woolen and Devon Witherspoon both nominated as Defensive Rookie of the Year finalists, while Tre Brown has emerged as a promising cornerback in his third season. Safety Julian Love also made the Pro Bowl for the first time in his career.

Even though Carroll's assistants were "free to seek employment" elsewhere, they are still under contract with Seattle until further notice." -- per Mookie Alexander

Link >>> https://www.fieldgulls.com/2024/2/1...cott-seattle-seahawks-coaching-staff-nfl-news

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks Jville!!!

This still counts as a 2023 transaction raising the yearly total to 349.

Updated.

Last edited:

renofox

Reaction score
Futures contracts are a delayed contract that do not take effect until after the start of the 2024 league year, ~3/13. The player is technically not signed and not on the roster until then.

bigcc

Reaction score
These are interesting times and like most of us older guys who are fans 'I'm jazzed'. JS was careful and complete in his search as we have come to expect for him.

The truly interesting part of this will be the staff he attracts to help him. So far he has a DC who was his ILB's coach, but to me the most important guy for him will the coach that becomes his OC.

I think he could be a tremendous hire as I have a good deal of trust in JS.
OC is definitely the priority.... Would have been nice to bring Orr but makes sense that the Ravens promoted him.

Whoever is DC isn't even going to be calling plays, so whoever is OC pretty much has full reign of the offense, hopefully it's someone with a distinct plan in mind, hope grubb is the guy

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The way I have been consistently noting transactions is I have been keeping the roster moves to the league year the transaction was made and not just the calendar year. So while technically the Futures contract is a contract for 2024 the transaction is made in the 2023 league year and so recorded as such.

While technically the new league year begins this year on March 13, I have been using the Super Bowl as the end/beginning of the year for this thread.

Last edited:

kidhawk

Reaction score
The way I have been consistently noting transactions is I have been keeping the roster moves to the league year the transaction was made and not just the calendar year. So while technically the Futures contract is a contract for 2024 the transaction is made in the 2023 league year and so recorded as such.

While technically the new league year begins this year on March 13, I have been using the Super Bowl as the end/beginning of the year for this thread.

Thanks for the explanation. I wasn’t sure if this thread was from Super Bowl to Super Bowl or if you waited until the start of the official league year.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
No worries my friend, there are usually not many transactions that happen save maybe trades that happen after the SB but before the formal start of the new season. As well there is always some impatience by some members here to see a new thread as quickly as possible after the playing season ends.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
For my own tracking, I start the next season as soon as the Seahawks have finished their last game, as whatever happens after that is about next season. Back on topic: Sean Mannion is taking a coaching job in GB, so he's retired.

There are 5 more PS guys who are free to sign anywhere. Technically, they could still play in the Super Bowl if called upon!

Austin Faoliu was elevated the last two games, so I'd think he'll be on a 90 man roster at some point.

Joey Hunt is vet who's hung around. If he lands somewhere in 2024 it probably won't be until around training camp. Seems like he's a candidate to coach somewhere.

Hamilcar Rashed bounced around a few places in 2023. He's still young enough he might land on an off-season roster somewhere.

Cade Johnson and Cody Thompson have been here a few years, so it's probably time to look at fresh WR talent.