2022 Seahawks Depth Chart and Roster Moves

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
My understanding is Eleby was here on a try out basis, like a walkon, while Lewis was a contracted UDFA AND received a signing bonus.
I think the team has a specified allotment of money to dispense for signing bonuses to UDFAs. Some get it and some don't.
Correct?

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Your understanding is totally right. Here below is more info on this subject. The pool of bonus $ to sign these UDFA players for each team this season was $167,944. So far the team has spent in bonus $ just $50 K.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
According to the Seahawks.Com roster --- Matt Cole, who ended the '21 season on the practice squad as a WR, is now listed as a CB wearing #37.
Thanks John!!!
For some reason I missed updating on that, doing so now.

Updated.

Last edited:

Jville

Reaction score
Roster Churn Friday ..............
The Seahawks added a pair of receivers on Friday, signing Deontez Alexander, who came into the league as an undrafted rookie in 2018, and Kevin Kassis who went undrafted out of Montana State in 2020.
The Seahawks also waived four receivers: Matt Cole, Jake Herslow, John Mitchell and Demetris Robertson.

Link >>> https://www.seahawks.com/news/seahawks-sign-wr-deontez-alexander-wr-kevin-kassis

.................... two roster spots are now open.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks Jville!!!

As ever you are quick to post the info, greatly appreciated.

We are up to date.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Hard to know for sure, but the team seems to develop a Ghost Squad of players not yet ready to play in the NFL for whatever reason.

As well they start chatting some of these players up early to sign as UDFAs and then bring them in for a closer look. Every season there are quite a few changes like this as they try to find players for roles they want to see played.

Not sure it much more than standard procedure for JS to churn the edges of the roster trying to pick up a diamond from the rough or a player with high potential that might be realized.

Last edited:

Jville

Reaction score
Pete Carroll expressed disappointment that some of the rookies were not that interested in running on day one of rookie camp when the staff records all the rookie measurables. I suspect the releases are, in part, a reflection of that ....... along with a decision to end the effort to convert Matt Cole into a db.

Looking forward to seeing who they sign to the two available roster spots.

sutz

Reaction score
Given the new rules around in-season callups from the PS, it pays to have qualified guys ready to go as much as possible to cover injuries, etc. Plus, like you say, JS is always out there looking for talent. That's a good thing.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Without a doubt.

As the preseason goes on there are a few potential signs that JS is quietly assuming more personnel control. Initially the players when they were drafted they were spoken to first by JS. I can recall that in the past it was PC who spoke to them first. This might be meaningless and nothing more than how things happened this season.

For sure however this latest draft was better than some others over the past 5 years and perhaps it is a reflection that the FO control is slightly shifting with JS taking more personnel control.

The team has not been overly aggressive in FA this year and yet JS appears to be steadily bringing in castoffs or players missed in drafts or college UDFA calculus in the hopes of finding incremental improvement to competitive situations.

It seems PC then coaches the players and talks up those who attract his interest.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Without a doubt.

As the preseason goes on there are a few potential signs that JS is quietly assuming more personnel control. Initially the players when they were drafted they were spoken to first by JS. I can recall that in the past it was PC who spoke to them first. This might be meaningless and nothing more than how things happened this season.

For sure however this latest draft was better than some others over the past 5 years and perhaps it is a reflection that the FO control is slightly shifting with JS taking more personnel control.

The team has not been overly aggressive in FA this year and yet JS appears to be steadily bringing in castoffs or players missed in drafts or college UDFA calculus in the hopes of finding incremental improvement to competitive situations.

It seems PC then coaches the players and talks up those who attract his interest.
Watching draft day videos from the past several years, it has always been JS talking to them first and then handing off to Pete. Your recollection is incorrect.

How do you ("for sure") know that this draft was better than others over the past 5 years? Do you have some knowledge or foresight that we are unaware of? Are you a more skilled talent evaluator than the entire Seahawks front office, coaching staff, and scouting division? Or...by better than the past 5 years, do you simply mean that it lined up with talking head draft boards?

I would expect this year's draft and free agency to be different than previous years. The Hawks just had a losing season (their first in a while) and they traded a franchise QB. Both of the above, combined with the current year's and next year's cap situation, create a natural reset year. I think it is likely that your perception of a shift in personnel control is the result of your personal bias against PC rather than any actual evidence. And, your perception of a better draft is the result of increased draft capital and picks aligning with draft boards rather than any actual evidence that this draft was better than drafts of the last five years.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I truly hold no bias against PC you need to only look to my previous posts for confirmation. Unlike a very vocal few here I think he is still a great coach.

Of course you may be right on each other point. My biases in that regard allows me to recognize that because the team obtained 4 great picks in the first 3 rounds each of which was a personal favourite in one way or another. The 5 later picks were also not bad either. Naturally having extra picks didn’t hurt either.

To me I just had a sense that JS was running the show during the draft and PC was of course there but seemingly mostly observing, or participating to a slightly lesser degree than I have observed watching previous drafts. He was essentially just letting JS do his job which he does well.

I qualified my above post as objective evidence seemed weak but still afforded a sense of things to me.

As the team rebuilds there will be changes in the past patterns which may be subtle or lead to speculation. Right or wrong it was merely an observation.

Last edited:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Eleby was only here for rookie minicamp.
Likely I was expecting to see more from him in the Minicamp, & maybe just as likely they didn't see enough from him to warrant delving any deeper.
I guess this just shows the funk in my armchair evaluations that I have, eh? LOLOL.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks Jville!!!

Interesting additions to the roster churn that happens this time of the season.

Now updated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
No worries scutterhawk you were not alone in the interest about Eleby there were many others who held the same curiosity, I see no funk in that interest.

It could be the case the team may want to have a longer look at Eleby later in the year and he could return with PS spot depending on how the rest of the season works out.

Time will tell.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
OTC has the signing bonuses for all the undrafted free agents. This year's "8th Round Draft Pick" is CB Josh Valentine-Turner who was given $20,000. Last year's choice was T Jake Curhan who was given $27,500 so no one was seemingly as highly regarded this year. QB Levi Lewis was given $15,000 as was S Bubba Bolden. Demetris Roberton was next at $14,000 and was cut after a week.

I've been tracking the 8th round pick for several years and they quite often make the team and make an impact. LB D.D. Lewis was a great example. Curhan made the team last year and started a few games.

Overall they paid 14 guys $142,000. I think the total allowed was about $167,000 so they didn't spend it all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for that John!!!

Much more complete info than my earlier post. As ever you continue as a site wizard for this information.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
NFL transactions reports that QB- Levi Lewis has been waived today. This opens a roster spot and potentially creates speculation, Mayfield, Eleby, or ???.

Updated.

Another report:

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It is being widely reported that the team Has signed WR-Marquise Goodwin.

Updated.

Last edited: