With our great run game..

Sealake80

Reaction score
Yo if Wilson can get happy feet and rush over a hundred yards and a touchdown he will redefine the term happy feet. Franchise record today y'all. Feels good to see 350 and 5 touchdowns on the ground don't it? Hell yeah. :thfight7:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sealake80":1rd1bdgi said:
Yo if Wilson can get happy feet and rush over a hundred yards and a touchdown he will redefine the term happy feet. Franchise record today y'all. Feels good to see 350 and 5 touchdowns on the ground don't it? Hell yeah. :thfight7:

Sure it does.. but context. The Giants defense is absymal. We are not running like that against anyone else on our schedule.. we need the passing game if we're going to get very far.

By no means am I saying winning today by 3 touchdowns with 350 yards rushing is a bad thing.. but.. we'll be lucky to get a third of that against the likes of KC and Arizona. We need Russ to snap out of his funk

Hawks46

Reaction score
Chawks1":ok5aphfy said:
Spin Doctor":ok5aphfy said:
Anthony!":ok5aphfy said:
hawkfannj":ok5aphfy said:
Why the hell do we struggle so much in the passing game ! That kinda run game should open up the passing game more .
I'm just miffed about this . Our ground game is way too dominant for this to keep rearing it's ugly head.

Because as good as our oline is in run blocking, they are really bad in pass blocking, we have no #1 WR, our best Wr would be a #2 or #3 on most good teams, and our route tree is awful. Our best pass play is Wilson scrambling till someone gets open
Please, today they gave him plenty of time, Wilson is off.

Yea, Wilson is not looking good the last several games. Today might have been the worst of it. He had plenty of time to pass today and either made poor decisions or didnt trust himself. I think he realized it and just called his own number on that read option cuz he could pick up easy yards. He needs to find his passing game. Running QBs don't last long in this league.

To put it in perspective, this is probably the worst secondary he is going to face for the rest of the season. Either the WRs are terrible and aren't getting open, he's missing open WRs, or something else.

You definitely can't hang this one on the OL today. On the flip side, we need to keep this damn OL together. Sure, the Giants aren't great against the run, but to put up 350 yards is impressive against ANY offensive line.

pehawk

Reaction score
Their passing attack is as creative as a bowl of sour cream. Go or drag route, with some bizzare screen looks that take an eternity to set up. The passing game is gross schematically.

olyfan63

Reaction score
austinslater25":1f3tzg66 said:
Did I miss something? I didn't think he was that off today. The long throw to Kearse was terrible but I didn't see him miss all that often after that. The running game was unstoppable so they didn't need to pass much to finish it out. Wilson is fine.

Wilson was missing passes.

Both picks were 100% on him. Instead of throwing where only his receiver could get it, he gave the defender a chance and got picked.
The picked throw to Baldwin, if placed on the outside shoulder, is probably a completion. Russell either read it wrong, and didn't see where the DB was, or it was a physical/mechanical error that his arm didn't make the ball go where his mind wanted it to. I think Russ just knew he had single coverage and was throwing it up for Baldwin to make the play or prevent the pick.

The picked throw to PRich was thrown inside where the defender was. Could PRich have helped him out by coming back? Questionable; the ball was so far inside toward the defender and PRich would have been expecting it outside, so it probably wrong-footed him. It would have taken a superhuman play and a much bigger body. Megatron probably can't make that play either.

All this stands out because it's Un-Wilson-like, except for the last few weeks. Something is not right with Russell.

What it's not:
1) It seems like it's beyond the patchwork O-Line.
2) It's beyond the newness of receivers.

What it could be
1) A physical (injury) problem; maybe a bruise or pulled muscle that affects his throwing accuracy, without really affecting his velocity. A small wrist or forearm injury to the throwing hand, for example, could cause something like this. Something that affects his backhand flip shortstop throwing function, for example. Remember that open TD a couple weeks ago (vs Rams?) where he couldn't get the ball out to a wide open TE? #RussellHasAHurtArm

2) A vision problem; maybe Russ is having double vision (concussion) and sneaking his way through it, trying to pick the right one of the 2 identical receivers to throw it to; maybe he has fast-developing glaucoma and refuses to treat it by smoking pot. (I consider both these very unlikely; just tossing them out as ya never know) His running vision seems to be unimpaired, so this is all very unlikely. #RussellCantSee

3) Russell is having impaired pre-frontal cortex function from not getting enough sleep, now that he's divorced, and trying to have a social life and prepare and keep his other schedule items with Children's Hospital, etc. Throw in the O-Line chaos, and wide receiver chaos, and this one's actually fairly plausible. Maybe Russell's finally showing he's a mere mortal after all. #RussellTakeTimeToSleep

4) Russell has no #1 Receiver to throw to, no big fast target, no Megatron, no Dez Bryant, no Julio Jones, no Larry Fitzgerald, not even a Kelvin Benjamin, no Rob Gronkowski, no Tony Gonzalez, not even a Zach Miller. While it sure wouldn't hurt, and Russell would probably complete 1-2 more deep passes a game, but this is not really the current problem. #RussellHasNoMegatron

Personally, I think it's a mix of #RussellHasAHurtArm and #RussellTakeTimeToSleep.
This is all so uncharacteristic of Russell, and what we've seen from him the first two seasons, and what you see when you watch his college highlights videos from that Wisconsin season. Russell is not totally himself the last few games. You can see it on his face on the sideline during games.

pmedic920

Reaction score
This here is some funny crap.
MaMa knows what's up.
543cfd47bd3286c4bd9b769057dac24b.jpg

AgentDib

Reaction score
Russ was definitely off today as a passer but at the same time he was just as important to our running game today as anybody was. The run blocking OL, Lynch and RW have combined to really make our run offense formidable. We may not get any style points unless we put up 500 passing yards but we scored a lot of TDs and RW was a big part of that.

It does look like RW is hesitant to throw at times, especially during a scramble drill and across his body. That risk aversion is instilled from the top, however, and the few times he did put the ball into contested situations without having perfect placement it resulted in turnovers. Maybe it's frustrating to some seeing Eli float the back shoulder passes in perfectly a couple of times but nobody should be surprised by sporadic brilliant play on Eli's part; his trouble has been consistency. The Giants also had to make those sort of pass attempts as we shut their running game down completely.

Can we win future games with a dominant running game but a struggling passing game? Sure. The Bills had a 5+ YPC against the Chiefs today and gave away a game they should have won. I think we are better than the Bills in all three phases and while Arrowhead is always tough it will be a game that we can win with our running game if we are good enough to make another Superbowl run this year.

SeaChase

Reaction score
They should have killed the giants on the ground as they have a piss poor run D, as well as a piss poor pass D and should have been passed on them all day.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what playmakers we have on this offense other than occasionally Doug Baldwin?

Nobody. Seriously.

I cannot believe that nobody has spotted this, or that they've given it no discussion.

SeaChase

Reaction score
I see rookies and lesser known players doing things on other teams. I guess all of a sudden we suck at drafting talent.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I got no problems with Russ. He's been less than stellar lately. We are in games and we are winning right now. I don't care if we blow teams out of not, so long as we win. In our wins, I question how we'd have fared without him. Montana made my main point right before this... Tate, Harvin, Miller, to a bunch of guys with low miles and rooks. Baldwin, Lockette and Kearse aren't scaring anyone.

You can say the o-line was fine today, but isn't he, by this time conditioned to believe it will break down instantly? He may not trust what's there. Is that on him? Yes. But at least understand if that's the case. And if I'm being honest, the line wasn't great today, but serviceable. And we won. I see the issue, but I don't get the hostility and disdain when we won. Saying that it's not going to work against other teams is crap. We'll deal with those games when they get here.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
AgentDib":1z0fffqf said:
Russ was definitely off today as a passer but at the same time he was just as important to our running game today as anybody was. The run blocking OL, Lynch and RW have combined to really make our run offense formidable. We may not get any style points unless we put up 500 passing yards but we scored a lot of TDs and RW was a big part of that.

It does look like RW is hesitant to throw at times, especially during a scramble drill and across his body. That risk aversion is instilled from the top, however, and the few times he did put the ball into contested situations without having perfect placement it resulted in turnovers. Maybe it's frustrating to some seeing Eli float the back shoulder passes in perfectly a couple of times but nobody should be surprised by sporadic brilliant play on Eli's part; his trouble has been consistency. The Giants also had to make those sort of pass attempts as we shut their running game down completely.

Can we win future games with a dominant running game but a struggling passing game? Sure. The Bills had a 5+ YPC against the Chiefs today and gave away a game they should have won. I think we are better than the Bills in all three phases and while Arrowhead is always tough it will be a game that we can win with our running game if we are good enough to make another Superbowl run this year.

Wilson was selling all the fake plays perfectly, Giants D had no idea who was getting the ball. Wilson was like a knife cutting slowly into them, while Beast was the lemon juice being poured on the cuts.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I remember Baldwin talking about moving back into the slot (Z as in Zebra) after the Harvin trade but it looks to me like we are still using him a lot in that X role where he gets matched up by an opposing CB and taken out of the game. Are we really that hesitant to give snaps to Norwood or Richardson?

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":26ord5sz said:
Can anyone tell me what playmakers we have on this offense other than occasionally Doug Baldwin?

Nobody. Seriously.

I cannot believe that nobody has spotted this, or that they've given it no discussion.

They've tried...and failed. Sidney Rice....Percy Harvin...trying to go after Brandon Marshall and also reportedly Vincent Jackson....

I think Paul Richardson was drafted to fit the mold as the big play guy...

Latest posts