Thoughts on the game (Cleveland)

warden

Reaction score
A true heavy weight fight. Two four and two teams going at it. The Browns played like a four and two that was very hungry to go five and two. They played very hard. Their good defense shit down our offense for long periods of time.

We also played hard and countered punched. When all was said and done we made a couple of plays more than they did.

Great football game, great effort from two teams

warden

Reaction score
We overcame two or three ginormous terrible calls for wafting too much air around a players facemask, and DK Metcalf, I see you man, you are going to have a Megatron game or three this year, but your intangibles today, you are the unwritten story. Thank you for saving Geno from an endzone pick in the fourth quarter.
DK made a great block that allowed Smith Nigba get the game winning TD

far north

Reaction score
Makes you wonder what the season would have looked like so far had they been firing on all cylinders.

warden

Reaction score
Makes you wonder what the season would have looked like so far had they been firing on all cylinders.
Don’t have to be playing your best football in September and October. Just need to get a bunch of wins in those months. You need to be playing your best football in December and January

warden

Reaction score
We played nickel the entire game. Three safeties on run/base plays three cornerbacks on pass plays. Says a lot about our secondary, says even more about our front six

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
Hurt needs to teach the EDGE rushers how to set the fricken edge. Cleveland damn near hard 200 yards passing of screens and slipscreens. And almost every one was the result of our OLBs getting sucked inside.
Taylor is absolutely useless. Clark wasn't much better, although it was also his first game of the season. Those guys are on film now and we're going to get their side(s) worked for the rest of the season.

I can't find their snap counts, but Taylor had 2 tackles and Clark had one. Taylor did have a sack, but it was because the QB moved off his spot, not because he beat his man.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Agreed. I wonder if the offense would improve by subtraction. I do like DK and what he can bring but if we can get some good draft capital for him then maybe? There were a lot of awful throws to DK so he was not at fault the whole time but he wasn’t getting much separation either. Decisions like this make me glad for my day job and not coaching in NFL.

If the Seahawks were to trade Metcalf this season, it would have to be before the next game. He would then have been on the Seahawks roster for eight weeks of paychecks, and would be on some other team's roster for ten weeks. That means the Seahawks have paid Metcalf $978K of his $2.2M salary, and the acquiring team would get him for ten games for his $1.22M in remaining salary. It would then be able to keep him next season for his $13M salary, which is currently not guaranteed at all and only becomes fully guaranteed if he's on a roster five days after the beginning of the 2024 waiver period. The acquiring team would also be able to keep Metcalf in 2025 for $18M if it wanted. His 2025 salary is not at all guaranteed, and will only become fully guaranteed when the 2025 season starts if Metcalf is on a team's 53-man roster (and that's only because all vested veterans' contracts become fully guaranteed for a season when that season starts).

The Seahawks would have $11.5M of dead money on their 2023 cap (but that was part of Metcalf's 13.72M cap hit for this year, so the Seahawks would actually be getting $1.22M in cap savings for this season) and $23M of dead money on the 2024 cap.
That $23M hit for 2024 makes this a really bad move for the Seahawks. They'd be badly hurting their cap in 2024 for a player not on their roster, who would then be playing at a very reasonable price for some other team. How badly? The Seahawks currently have only 40 players under contract for 2024, and they have just over $17M in cap space. Without Metcalf, that would be only 39 players under contract and about $6M in available cap space.

For that to be worthwhile for the Seahawks, the other team would have to give up more draft capital than I think any team in the league is going to be willing to give up.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
My thoughts -

- I thought the defense played bad. They are lucky that Walker came back down to earth and was throwing passes into the ground. They werent stopping the run like I had hoped and they gave up a 14 point lead. Spoon and Adams didnt show up. Wags and Brooks did.

- Geno continues to play like a mediocre QB. He locks on one receiver and misses open guys constantly. He's just slow to read and tries to force passes. Hope he can clean that up, but he probably wont.

- Oline played admirably and held Garrett in check. Really pleased with their play.

- Walker and Charbonnet are studs and they need fed more. Great to have two very young and talented backs in the backfield.

- Think Waldron called a great game except for not running the ball more. He needs to cut down on the passing and pound the rock. Even though that didnt happen, there were open receivers that Geno missed throughout the day.

- Bobo for president

- Loved the throwbacks

Fernie Hawks Fan

Reaction score
If that was Bobo, you would be praising him for an amazing block.
I don't really care who it was blocking....sure looked like holding to me...especially on the replay. After some of the penalties that the zebras called on the Hawks in this game....I was surprised, actually shocked, there wasn't a yellow cloth flying through the air.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He didn't turn him, you are allowed to block like that, it was a hell of a block.
But yep, we all looked around for a flag. The way they were handing out flags in the Browns' favor, I was fully expecting it.

Aircrew

Reaction score
There is zero reason for officials to ever miss lined up in the neutral zone. None. If you aren't going to believe there is steering by the officials in the NFL for any other reason, missing that call repeatedly should be reason enough.

This was also missed in Super Bowl XL on the play Locklear got called for the phantom hold. Not only did the guy he got called for holding leave early, but the Stealer's nose tackle was lined up BLATANTLY offside (passed the neutral zone.)
Funny you say that. Since XL, every time I see a defensive player lined up in the neutral zone, the image of that play comes to my mind. Every time.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Both hands outside the shoulder pads with a handfulls of jersey. I still don't know how that wasn't called.
I think because he didn’t let his arms extend it wasn’t visually obvious from a distance. Also he let go right as the other guy tried to pull away, so there was no visual tug of the jersey.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Guys grab jersey's on blocks all the time, it's not uncommon. Hand fighting back and forth is part of the game. He didn't extend, he didn't turn him. DK is a hell of a blocker. Go watch tape of Doug Baldwin. He made that same EXACT block on several plays over the years and it wasn't called most of the time.

Last edited: