Thoughts on the game (Cleveland)

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
  • Weird M.O. for a Carroll team to start with their hair on fire and lose their way in the middle, but that's how it's been going for them. It seems like it's related to the tendency that they have to kinda forget the run game for the middle two quarters. Two good running backs, but they seem intent on driving the offense through the pass game, and it feels forced.
  • More Geno regression. I don't think he's playing terrible football, but he clearly isn't his most comfortable out there and he's locking on more.
  • I love DK, but his involvement right now is so forced. They're not moving the ball when they're force-feeding him, and I'm worried that he's demanding the force-feeding. They're at their best when they're spreading the hell out of the ball and running it otherwise.
  • The defense has some things to clean up, but they're still dawgs. They play with their hair on fire. They were really screwed over by a couple of super ticky-tack hands to face calls, the type that the Browns were getting away with the whole game.
  • Browns were offside on the Geno interception on the out route. Can't assume it's a free play, but they were right to be pissed and had likely alerted the refs to look for it beforehand, as they lined up in the neutral zone several times in the first half.
  • They still came away with an ugly dub against a ridiculously intimidating defense and an offense that runs through an amazing offensive line. They're a team that is solid fundamentally, which is why they've got a winning record despite having very iffy quarterback play. Coming away with ugly dubs is something that every single winning team in the NFL does more often than not. Take a look at the Chiefs, Niners, Eagles, etc. All of 'em. They don't just blow out every team - at least, not for more than very short stretches at a time. Enjoy the win, and enjoy being on top of the division as the Bengals just whipped their nuts out against the Niners (PS: As much as you may want Geno gone, he wasn't as bad as Purdy was for the Niners today.)

JPatera76

Reaction score
100%

But tbh, the refs again showed up and had waaaay too much power and influence on shit. It was heavily one sided and the announcers sounded like it doors trying to play it off.

“Good to see they’re letting them play” haha yeah letting the browns play while stepping on Seattles nuts

Optimus25

Reaction score
I agree with everything. Mainly how weird it is a Pete Carroll team is starting hot and fading so much.

Polk738

Reaction score
My thoughts are this, if Cleveland even had somewhat average QB play out of Walker they would've been even harder to beat, they easily have one of the best run games, offensive lines AND obviously the best defense, and that still was not enough for them to win, Geno did not play well today but in the end he did enough to win the game and Walker did not, for as good as Cleveland is, they are still REALLY handicapped at the QB position, that was the x-factor.

toffee

Reaction score
  • Weird M.O. for a Carroll team to start with their hair on fire and lose their way in the middle, but that's how it's been going for them. It seems like it's related to the tendency that they have to kinda forget the run game for the middle two quarters. Two good running backs, but they seem intent on driving the offense through the pass game, and it feels forced.
  • More Geno regression. I don't think he's playing terrible football, but he clearly isn't his most comfortable out there and he's locking on more.
  • I love DK, but his involvement right now is so forced. They're not moving the ball when they're force-feeding him, and I'm worried that he's demanding the force-feeding. They're at their best when they're spreading the hell out of the ball and running it otherwise.
  • The defense has some things to clean up, but they're still dawgs. They play with their hair on fire. They were really screwed over by a couple of super ticky-tack hands to face calls, the type that the Browns were getting away with the whole game.
  • Browns were offside on the Geno interception on the out route. Can't assume it's a free play, but they were right to be pissed and had likely alerted the refs to look for it beforehand, as they lined up in the neutral zone several times in the first half.
  • They still came away with an ugly dub against a ridiculously intimidating defense and an offense that runs through an amazing offensive line. They're a team that is solid fundamentally, which is why they've got a winning record despite having very iffy quarterback play. Coming away with ugly dubs is something that every single winning team in the NFL does more often than not. Take a look at the Chiefs, Niners, Eagles, etc. All of 'em. They don't just blow out every team - at least, not for more than very short stretches at a time. Enjoy the win, and enjoy being on top of the division as the Bengals just whipped their nuts out against the Niners (PS: As much as you may want Geno gone, he wasn't as bad as Purdy was for the Niners today.)
Nice write up dude! I for one am getting a bit tired of winning ugly.

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
My thoughts are this, if Cleveland even had somewhat average QB play out of Walker they would've been even harder to beat, they easily have one of the best run games, offensive lines AND obviously the best defense, and that still was not enough for them to win, Geno did not play well today but in the end he did enough to win the game and Walker did not, for as good as Cleveland is, they are still REALLY handicapped at the QB position, that was the x-factor.
They have Pocic in their line too haha

JustTheTip

Reaction score
There is zero reason for officials to ever miss lined up in the neutral zone. None. If you aren't going to believe there is steering by the officials in the NFL for any other reason, missing that call repeatedly should be reason enough.

This was also missed in Super Bowl XL on the play Locklear got called for the phantom hold. Not only did the guy he got called for holding leave early, but the Stealer's nose tackle was lined up BLATANTLY offside (passed the neutral zone.)

keasley45

Reaction score
This game is just more proof of whats been showing up on the film. Geno has been forcing the ball to DK and before that, to Tyler.

Its simple. When we dont just line up and go to the well of the 20 or so plays we like to run and the 'goto's' to DK and Tyler, we are better.

Its no surprise that it was throws to a TE, runs by our 2nd back, and a TD by our new prized and underutilized rookie that made the difference.

When our playbook expands to NOT just rely on our top players and plays over and over again, we are more difficult to defend.

There's no mystery here. The O needs to open up to utilize more of what we can do. We need te be more diverse.

I know its been hard to do that with our O-line as banged up as its been, but we dont yet have a D that can take over a game - although i think they are better than the stats showed today. the refs were horrible.

1st place with half our o-line missing halft its starters for extended periods over the first 6 games.

For all the talk about how the team has issues, i think that if our o-line was healthy all year, we are at least one win better.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Funny how they'd be a better team if they'd just kept Baker instead of trading the farm for Deshaun "oops, the towel slipped, haha crazy" Watson. Should've kept him, or let Stefanski draft his own dude.

toffee

Reaction score
This game is just more proof of whats been showing up on the film. Geno has been forcing the ball to DK and before that, to Tyler.

Its simple. When we dont just line up and go to the well of the 20 or so plays we like to run and the 'goto's' to DK and Tyler, we are better.

Its no surprise that it was throws to a TE, runs by our 2nd back, and a TD by our new prized and underutilized rookie that made the difference.

When our playbook expands to NOT just rely on our top players and plays over and over again, we are more difficult to defend.

There's no mystery here. The O needs to open up to utilize more of what we can do. We need te be more diverse.

I know its been hard to do that with our O-line as banged up as its been, but we dont yet have a D that can take over a game - although i think they are better than the stats showed today. the refs were horrible.

1st place with half our o-line missing halft its starters for extended periods over the first 6 games.

For all the talk about how the team has issues, i think that if our o-line was healthy all year, we are at least one win better.
Throws to DK almost cost us this game, we are not leveraging our three ball catching TEs, and JSN/Bobo.

Torc

Reaction score
I'm not sure what's going on with DK, is it playcalls designed to go to him or is Geno forcing it to him, but it sure seemed like most of his targets shouldn't have been thrown today. Totally looked forced. And then plays like that 4th down catch show you what kind of stud he can be. I'm not on the "trade him" bandwagon, but I don't think he's nearly to his potential.

renofox

Reaction score
I'm not sure what's going on with DK, is it playcalls designed to go to him or is Geno forcing it to him, but it sure seemed like most of his targets shouldn't have been thrown today. Totally looked forced. And then plays like that 4th down catch show you what kind of stud he can be. I'm not on the "trade him" bandwagon, but I don't think he's nearly to his potential.
That was 100% on Geno. He had a few.good throws to DK but all the others were either late or of by several yards.

Is he feeling too much pressure to get DK lots of targets?

knownone

Reaction score
Hurt needs to teach the EDGE rushers how to set the fricken edge. Cleveland damn near hard 200 yards passing of screens and slipscreens. And almost every one was the result of our OLBs getting sucked inside.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Throws to DK almost cost us this game, we are not leveraging our three ball catching TEs, and JSN/Bobo.
This .

Even on the Seahawks Post game radio show they were alluding to the same thing. That's pretty bad because those guys always stick close to the company and don't throw any shade to the hand that feeds them.

Smith threw to Metcalf 14 times !!! Way to many for the poor results .