The most ideal next team for Russell Wilson

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Wilson might stay the the Broncos to 2024 it will be hard to take the dead cap money axing him before next season.
I can't see anyone else taking him as a starter
I can't see him taking the pay cut or the humble pie to be a back up
Even if he did his attitude doesn't inspire other players, (quite the opposite) so I don't think any team with a rookie QB would want him as a mentoring back-up
His attitude makes me think he would make a poor coach so I don't see teams taking him on as such.
I don't think even with Ciara's money he could afford to be an owner.

Most likely his next roll is continually announcing the world that he is a great QB and it is a big conspiracy that is preventing him being a starting QB, he is better thal all the other guys out their but for reasons nothing to do with football they have agreed together to kick him out of the game.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Wilson might stay the the Broncos to 2024 it will be hard to take the dead cap money axing him before next season.
Even if he did his attitude doesn't inspire other players, (quite the opposite) so I don't think any team with a rookie QB would want him as a mentoring back-up
His attitude makes me think he would make a poor coach so I don't see teams taking him on as such.

Most likely his next roll is continually announcing the world that he is a great QB and it is a big conspiracy that is preventing him being a starting QB, he is better thal all the other guys out their but for reasons nothing to do with football they have agreed together to kick him out of the game.
LOL...you're saying he has become the next Craporpick.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

The Broncos have $85M of dead cap if they cut him before next season, but if they don't cut him by the fifth day of the next league season (I believe that means by St. Patrick's Day, next March 17), then his $37M 2025 salary is fully guaranteed, which would be a textbook example of what the expression "throwing good money after bad" means.

I have been saying since early last season that Wilson won't be on the Broncos by the next time they play the Seahawks (2026, I believe). Now I'm starting to think he might not be on an NFL team in 2024.

Even if a team wanted to give him a shot (NFL teams frequently believe they're smarter than their competitors and can get something out of the players who have been busts on other teams), I can't imagine contract terms that would be acceptable both to an NFL team and to a guy who, if he's cut before St. Patrick's Day, will have made $85M for two years with the Broncos (and a good three years plus of outstanding service to the Chiefs, Chargers, and Raiders, given how thoroughly he's managed to singlehandedly destroy the Broncos), for an average of $42.5M per year.

Rosco

Reaction score

Believe me, if Denver ends up with Williams or Maye, Wilson will most definitely be the backup. A very expensive backup but he will be the backup.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
I can't see any way out of it to save his ego other than some sort of injury - or existing injury that poses a risk to his life - that prevents him from playing. That is probably the question better asked - as NO TEAM is going to take him - what will the mystery illness be?

It will have to allow him to be heroic in the battle against whatever it ends up being - and appear that he is self-sacrificing for the greater good.

I'm going with some sort of traumatic brain injury - CTE linked in some way.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He should just stand there in Denver as a backup..Holding a clipboard
The most expensive backup in NFL history!

SeeHocks

Reaction score
It doesn't look like the relationship , personalities and XO wise, between Wilson and Payton is working, or will work to fruition. The ownership is looking at a rock and a hard place, but I believe they will side with Payton instead of Wilson. To all the 12s on dot net:

Name the most ideal next landing spot for Russell Wilson, somewhere his skill set and personality will be appreciated, somewhere there's an OC or HC that will work with him instead of trash him.

Any suggestions?
Who cares ?

Welshers2

Reaction score
Didn't Me3 say he wanted to own a nfl team at one point? Hahahaha the delusion of ego maniacs

Rat

Reaction score
Didn't Me3 say he wanted to own a nfl team at one point? Hahahaha the delusion of ego maniacs
That was always delusional. No former NFL player can even make a dent in what it would cost to become a majority owner. Probably no athlete in any sport could. Embarrassing how many times I had to explain that to people on here who said Russ can do anything he puts his mind to, or some similar garbage.

chrispy

Reaction score
He'll be a stay at home Dad.

After Broncos draft a QB, he'll get bumped to QB2. A mysterious injury will happen in camp and there'll be an injury settlement. He thinks he'll be able to play again in the future and the Broncos will save a little cash. Team3 will portray it as a wholesome move to be a family man. He'll try to come back. He'll call a game or two with Greg Olson. He'll be terrible at both. Then he'll officially retire for the union benefits and try to promote Ciara as much as he promoted himself.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
That was always delusional. No former NFL player can even make a dent in what it would cost to become a majority owner. Probably no athlete in any sport could. Embarrassing how many times I had to explain that to people on here who said Russ can do anything he puts his mind to, or some similar garbage.

Last edited:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He also said he wanted to play into his 40s..Ha Ha
Can you imagine?
He gets run down from behind by some DL now.

Rat

Reaction score
The Commanders just sold for more than double Michael Jordan's net worth. The highest NFL player on there is Tom Brady at 690M and he's trying to buy a sliver of the Raiders that I assume won't allow him to make any unilateral decisions. NFL stars are stupid rich, but are barely a drop in the bucket compared to corporate rich.