Russell Wilson in the Sean Payton Offense, Actually Looks Good??!!

olyfan63

Reaction score
Where the two-years-ish ago Kurt Warner video on Russell Wilson showed the holes in Russell's game, JT O'Sullivan of "The QB School" shows that Russell is actually making progress in Sean Payton's offense, throwing to the middle of the field, reading defenses better, etc. Maybe Pete's coddling hurt Russell? Maybe Russell is doing the work to fix his issues now that someone (Payton) is teaching him AND holding him accountable? Plus Russell looks leaner and quicker.

What do people think based on what you see in the QB School video, will Russell actually be a good NFL QB in the Sean Payton offense this season? Is Sean Payton the "Short QB Whisperer"?

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
Except there's a familiar refrain with Russ. Tds on broken coverages or when a db falls down.

The stuff that he's being credited with doing, Geno, Brock Purdy, Matt Stafford, etc do in their sleep. Reading defense and looking off defenders is fundamental to playing the position. And doing it against 3rd string guys is quite different than doing so when the real bullets start flying.

We will see who he is with his new HC by week 9. I wouldnt be surprised at all if he starts out well. But there has never been a season where Russ finished as hot as he started. Why? Defenses always figure him out. If he runs more to keep Ds of balance, he can find success again. But he will also likely find the blue tent on the sideline before too long. He's not 22 anymore. He's not even 32.

Scout

Reaction score
SP has said recently that most of RW big plays in his career came from outside of the pocket. So changing the launch point is something Waldron was doing with RW anyways. But given the Broncos OL it may be necessary.

So like what Waldron does currently, what Canales is doing with Mayfield down in TB, and what SP will do is install a lot of boot legs, waggles, and play action roll outs.

So in a way it makes it easier for RW and allows the Broncos offense to not be so predictable like it was last year.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I don't think he has the legs anymore to do it enough to matter
like he did in his early Hawk days..He's 35 pushing 36.
Then you got the Me3 mindset that will come into play at some
point and decide he don't wanna carry the team or be a game
manager..I'm shocked people see more than there is and it's
just preseason.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It ain't gonna last forever.

Sean Payton can scheme around it, but the same limitations are present. He isn't the ideal QB for Payton, or really anybody at this point.

He'll have a resurgence, but he won't be consistently top-10 and I don't think he can lead a team far into the postseason at this juncture. Turns 35 this year and hasn't had the magic in years and years.

nanomoz

Reaction score
JT does a great job.

Also, Sutton is lazy. And does that crap (quit routes) all the time

Fade

Reaction score
Watching him in the 49ers pre-season game he was moving better than he has in 5 years.

He's going to have a great year unless he gets injured again, which is on the table with his advancing age, and how that is exactly what has happened to him the last 2 seasons.

Payton is going to give him a screen game he never had the luxury of his entire career in Seattle. Some Taysom Hill designs, to go along with the things he does well.

His O-Line is a problem, very leaky on the left side in both preseason games, but Payton in his time in NO emphasized that group and will build it up. But that might take another season--so batten down the hatches.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Problem is he can't throw a screen pass anyway and he no longer has the legs of a Taysom Hill. Oh yeah it's preseason and no Nick Bosa.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I admit, watching him last weekend he definitely looked lighter when he ran. Faster than I have seen him look in a few years in fact. He still looks thick to me, not trimmed down to the point people are talking about but I can't deny he has gained some speed back based on those runs he had.

I am rooting for the man. I don't care how the divorce went. We got a handsome ransom for his exit, and he no longer matters to us as far as draft positioning. He's obtuse in some areas, tone deaf in others, but he's not a bad human being. In fact, he's a good person. I will celebrate the day he is placed in the Ring of Honor and possibly Canton.

keasley45

Reaction score
Watching him in the 49ers pre-season game he was moving better than he has in 5 years.

He's going to have a great year unless he gets injured again, which is on the table with his advancing age, and how that is exactly what has happened to him the last 2 seasons.

Payton is going to give him a screen game he never had the luxury of his entire career in Seattle. Some Taysom Hill designs, to go along with the things he does well.

His O-Line is a problem, very leaky on the left side in both preseason games, but Payton in his time in NO emphasized that group and will build it up. But that might take another season--so batten down the hatches.

He had a screen game last year. Didn't last long.

He went uptempo in 2021. It was solved before he injured himself.

Payton can give him all of his favorite plays, sprinkle in some boots, screens, RPO, and PA. Problem is, it's all been seen before. He's done it all before. He still can't throw well when forced to his left. He still can't see 1/3rd of the field. He still can't throw with anticipation. And he still can't effectively diagnose defense.

So, prediction - he has a warm to hot start. Looks like the Russ of old . And then one of two things happen.
1. He either gets Injured trying to hang in the pocket in an effort to be disciplined in SP's offense. Or he gets hurt trying to play Russ v2013.
2. Defenses figure him out entirely and he looks like Russ 2022 again and talk of moving on from him starts by week 8.

Apples don't fall from orange trees.

Russ has and always will be an apple.

jeepseahawk

Reaction score
Russel gave me my superbowl, I went to my first game in 1978. I will always root for him. He did become a prima donna.

BlueTalon

Reaction score

I think Tim Jenkins was so beat down after last season, that he's looking for optimism everywhere he can find it. I don't blame him for doing that, I'd do the same thing. But I suspect there will be a lot of disappointment in his videos this season.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well he doesn't do well in Rain and cold, could be an issue in Denver till he proves different, Screens he never hit our guys in stride or with a sudden pass, was always a floater they had to wait for and by then, well the party started with the oppositions defense where he caught the ball.

His disingenuous and fake persona on camera and social media irks me as much as his clichés.

Does he work hard, no doubt, but he has not been the same QB since Ciara came in the picture nor the same personable person on camera.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
IF JSN came back 100% and dominates, would you all open to trading Lockett for a 1st and a 3rd if Broncos come knocking?
No Way GIF