Draft A Potential Franchise QB In April

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
Picket is on a rookie contract and can give us the same product with more upside by being only 22 yrs old.
If Purdy can put up numbers in whiners offense, why not ours. We have just as much talent at the skilled positions as his current team other than Rb.
Howell is a fifth round pick playing for the COMMANDER'S in his first year, and not half the talent we have.
If we tried trading our starting Qb for any of these other Qbs mentioned straight across do you think any of these teams would make that trade,. Nope they sure wont.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
So go ahead pick the worse candidates on the this list provided to compare. Again we could have had any of the guys, including the top picks by giving the draft capital we have already been given away for other players, don't base your comment on just 3 guys. Like i said in the previous post we could have drafted someone. And develop them, they would have more upside than what we have now.Our Qbs on the roster have no more upside and are only going down hill. They are limited.
The ones I'm comparing are the ones who were remotely possible to obtain. We need to get back to reality at some point, guy.

I've already addressed the others you're listing, which you may have forgotten were top-6 overall selections that were hardly attainable, and even if they WERE theoretically attainable would've caused an outrageous amount of organizational discord to the point where it is in doubt whether or not the trade would've actually been signed off on by all internal parties to begin with. Here's what I had to say.

"As I stated earlier, Russell was coming off of two of his 3 best seasons as a pro in 2020, and it would've made no sense to try to obtain said quarterbacks at the time unless we wanted to further provoke our at-the-time franchise quarterback. In 2021, Russell was coming off of the Let Russ Cook year in which he started with the best stretch of his career and then came back down to Earth. His contract was a bit too much to reasonably trade away and the desire was there to give it another try with him, paired with a new OC. Again, really really terrible spot to deeply provoke your franchise quarterback by drafting... Trey Lance, Mac Jones, or Justin Fields... none of whom, by the way, have played ANY BETTER THAN GENO SMITH over their career."

You've listed a bunch of quarterbacks who either made no sense to obtain given the situation the franchise was in at the times of those drafts, or are more recent guys who are markedly worse than Geno Smith. The only exception of Brock Purdy who literally no one knows whether is actually good or just a supreme system fit but obviously would not be doing as well here.

To summarize, I can only assume that your ultimate goal in life is to have the Seahawks spend large picks to downgrade from what you describe as an average-at-best quarterback, given the sort of moves you're saying that Seattle SHOULD have made.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
The ones I'm comparing are the ones who were remotely possible to obtain. We need to get back to reality at some point, guy.

I've already addressed the others you're listing, which you may have forgotten were top-6 overall selections that were hardly attainable, and even if they WERE theoretically attainable would've caused an outrageous amount of organizational discord to the point where it is in doubt whether or not the trade would've actually been signed off on by all internal parties to begin with. Here's what I had to say.

"As I stated earlier, Russell was coming off of two of his 3 best seasons as a pro in 2020, and it would've made no sense to try to obtain said quarterbacks at the time unless we wanted to further provoke our at-the-time franchise quarterback. In 2021, Russell was coming off of the Let Russ Cook year in which he started with the best stretch of his career and then came back down to Earth. His contract was a bit too much to reasonably trade away and the desire was there to give it another try with him, paired with a new OC. Again, really really terrible spot to deeply provoke your franchise quarterback by drafting... Trey Lance, Mac Jones, or Justin Fields... none of whom, by the way, have played ANY BETTER THAN GENO SMITH over their career."

You've listed a bunch of quarterbacks who either made no sense to obtain given the situation the franchise was in at the times of those drafts, or are more recent guys who are markedly worse than Geno Smith. The only exception of Brock Purdy who literally no one knows whether is actually good or just a supreme system fit but obviously would not be doing as well here.

To summarize, I can only assume that your ultimate goal in life is to have the Seahawks spend large picks to downgrade from what you describe as an average-at-best quarterback, given the sort of moves you're saying that Seattle SHOULD have made.
You literally asked who and when, now your trying turn this into a Geno smith's career attack. Get Geno's nuts out of your mouth already bro. If you can't handle someone saying we should have put draft capital in the most
important position on the team then I dont know what to tell you. It dosent matter if Russ had good previous years he wanted out every one knows that. Do you think Greenbay cared about Arron Rodgers getting pissed about them drafting Love, nope we shouldn't have cared that Russ was the starter.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Picket is on a rookie contract and can give us the same product with more upside by being only 22 yrs old.
Pickett has performed markedly worse than Geno Smith for two years straight, and again, would've cost a first round pick to obtain. He's 2 years in and hasn't been even a league average starting passer for a second of those seasons.

If Purdy can put up numbers in whiners offense, why not ours. We have just as much talent at the skilled positions as his current team other than Rb.
No one can put up the numbers the Niners offense has. Not only that, but no one is even in the same stratosphere of their offensive efficiency other than Miami, who has Shanahan's protege as the head coach. If you think this is especially replicable despite the rest of the league not being able to replicate it, I don't know what to tell you.

The majority of the league is between 5 and 5.9 yards per play. 3rd through 24th best, to be exact. Seattle is 13th at 5.4.

San Francisco and Miami are alone at the top, 6.8 and 6.6 respectively. Both have quarterbacks without a ton of physical talent or arm strength getting the ball to speed and YAC threats, and occasionally trying to take the top off of the D. They are not on the same planet as the rest of the NFL right now.

So, yeah. He wouldn't be doing that here. He wouldn't be doing it anywhere else, except maybe Miami.

Howell is a fifth round pick playing for the COMMANDER'S in his first year, and not half the talent we have.
He has thrown 17 picks this year, leading the league in interceptions. Also, this is his second year, meaning his rookie contract is half up and he's got nothing but a few wins and now a benching to show for it. Jacoby Brissett came in for him, and you know what Jacoby Brissett hasn't done? Throw a bunch of picks. Team immediately improved with career backup Jacoby Brissett replacing Howell. If you find Geno Smith to be an unacceptable quarterback, there is absolutely no way you can credibly say that you'd prefer Seattle had drafted Howell and played him instead. It's bonkers.

If we tried trading our starting Qb for any of these other Qbs mentioned straight across do you think any of these teams would make that trade,. Nope they sure wont.
Why would we make the same trade straight across, except MAYBE in the case of Purdy? Cap relief in exchange for being significantly worse in the short term?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
You literally asked who and when, now your trying turn this into a Geno smith's career attack. Get Geno's nuts out of your mouth already bro. If you can't handle someone saying we should have put draft capital in the most
important position on the team then I dont know what to tell you. It dosent matter if Russ had good previous years he wanted out every one knows that. Do you think Greenbay cared about Arron Rodgers getting pissed about them drafting Love, nope we shouldn't have cared that Russ was the starter.
I asked who and when, and you provided a bunch of options that were either not realistic options given Russell Wilson's presence on the roster at the time, or were simply downgrades from Geno Smith.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It dosent matter if Russ had good previous years he wanted out every one knows that. Do you think Greenbay cared about Arron Rodgers getting pissed about them drafting Love, nope we shouldn't have cared that Russ was the starter.
1. Green Bay drafting Love was widely panned as a stupid provocation at the time, and it may have been. Love wasted most of his rookie contract on the bench. Meanwhile, Aaron won MVP the next year and they missed the championship game by 3 points. Might've been crucial to get a guy who could actually play his rookie year in hindsight?

2. Russell Wilson had a no-trade clause. He had complete control over destination, and he had not yet forced his way out in 2020.

You are trying to retcon reality.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
I asked who and when, and you provided a bunch of options that were either not realistic options given Russell Wilson's presence on the roster at the time, or were simply downgrades from Geno Smith.
Based on rumors they were realistic, Chicago had been rumored to wanting Russ and so did Philadelphia. So they were realistic options.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Based on rumors they were realistic, Chicago had been rumored to wanting Russ and so did Philadelphia. So they were realistic options.
Philadelphia was denied by Russell.

Denver ended up offering a comparable, or better, deal than Chicago a year later, when the cap hit was significantly more favorable.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
So there you go. At that time we could have had better options at attaining a Real franchise Qb. So either way we did end up trading Russ and could have used that draft capital.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
So there you go. At that time we could have had better options at attaining a Real franchise Qb. So either way we did end up trading Russ and could have used that draft capital.
Yes, on passers who have never played as well has Geno has even this year, in which he's been fairly average production-wise, as we've established.

So you would've rather taken the pick used on Cross or Witherspoon (Or JSN/trade up in the case of Levis) to be likely no better at the spot in terms of performance from the dates of those drafts to the present day.

I think that would've been a really, really bad idea if your problem is Geno not being good enough to win now.

Scout

Reaction score
To anybody who thinks we need to build the lines before getting a QB I have one simple observation and two simple questions.

Observation: PCJS have dumped loads of draft capital and $$$ into the lines on both sides of the ball for going on a decade and have had no success in building even league average lines.

Question 1: Do you have any confidence that PCJS will suddenly accomplish what they have continuously failed at, and why or why not?

Question 2: Is it your view that, assuming PCJS continue to fail, they should never take a shot at drafting a QBOTF? That seems to be what you are saying.
1. Yes I think they are on a better track building the lines properly again because their draft approach has changed.
2. They will take a shot at a QBOTF if there is one worth going for.

You have to look at 2022 and 2023 drafts as a new way of doing things. It is a new chapter of how this team is being built as the foundation is being laid down.

The 49ers, Bucs, Rams, Eagles, Lions, Cowboys, etc all do bully ball better than PC and the Hawks at the moment. Which is ironic but that is the state of the NFC as of right now.

Granted the AFC on paper seems better than the NFC now and we kind of suspected as much before the season started.

But a lot of it is really on total team performance more so than QB play.

Last edited:

Scout

Reaction score
1. Green Bay drafting Love was widely panned as a stupid provocation at the time, and it may have been. Love wasted most of his rookie contract on the bench. Meanwhile, Aaron won MVP the next year and they missed the championship game by 3 points. Might've been crucial to get a guy who could actually play his rookie year in hindsight?

2. Russell Wilson had a no-trade clause. He had complete control over destination, and he had not yet forced his way out in 2020.

You are trying to retcon reality.

Similar situation happened to the Bucs with Brady in 2021. Bucs drafted Trask in 2021 when Brady still had not indicated when he would retire.

The problem is that season the Bucs could have drafted another OL, WR, or CB and that would have made a difference in that playoff game against the Rams and helped them with a chance to repeat as SB champs. Instead the Rams went on to win the SB.

Fast forward to this season and Trask is still on the bench and his rookie contract is winding down. If Mayfield re-signs with the Bucs Trask isn't seeing the field even though he was a 2nd round pick.

That is why I do not agree with drafting a QB prematurely and losing out on their rookie deal unless you want to have them sit for years like Rodgers and Love. But the Packers do things differently from other NFL teams really.

Last edited:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Naw some of us are just realistic, and are sick & tired of average at best QB play. While listening to people try and defend Geno's play & Pete's decision making. Why should we be ok with an average QB at literally the most important position in all of sports?
Naw, some of y'all are just PESIMISTIC, and have the mindset of a box of INSTANT MASHED POTATO'S, y'all think that you know better and have more skookum than the PROFFESIONALS.
Those that CAN, DO, them that CAN'T constantly complain.
Your pissed that no one at the V-MAC is using the throw spaghetti against the wall method for player acquisitions, you CAN'T (or won't) understand HOW the grownups there HAVE TO make grownup decisions.
See, there's some things that us old bastages have learned to just let the hell go of, instead of continually being bummed out over the shit that we have no control over.
Learn to JUST ENJOY the time y'all have, Trust me...It's easier and more rewarding than you think.

GemCity

Reaction score
100% with Maelstrom on this. Once in awhile, a team may find a diamond in the rough, Mr. Irrelevant type guy like Purdy…. a QBOTF in a late round like Brady and Russ.

If anything, I’m impressed by PC and JS to have the discipline to not go out and sell the farm for a guy like Trey Lance. It seemingly worked out but, the luck SF has had is not due to poor decision making with the Lance pick.

The only two QBs, from recent drafts, I wouldn’t have minded trading up for are Stroud and Richardson. Pre-draft thoughts…that may be reduced to just Stroud. Geno’s upside (performance, contract, etc…) is on par and/or better than the rest of the options as it stands.

When/if we grab a QB, I’ll have complete faith that he’s going to be a stud…

Last edited:

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I don't watch college football but based on many years of who is "expected" to be great at QB, nobody really knows anything. So I'm not going to try to have an opinion.

I just hope if they draft someone that they're really good.

flv2

Reaction score
It's not a 1 direction tunnel. There are multiple ways to go. Do your due diligence with rookie prospects, make your evaluations, and trust your Draft board. See where it takes you.

...or force it and hope you get lucky. Worst case you have a terrible year or 2 but the high picks get you a QB.