Sure feels like it's going to be 49ers-Seahawks again

googoodan

Reaction score
Apologies if the formatting is crazy. The web forum isn't very mobile friendly.

E: and it is....

hawker84":2b152rzq said:
googoodan":2b152rzq said:
hawker84":2b152rzq said:
Good Players, Not Elite. I'll take any players listed below before any players you have listed all day every day....

They are not elite, nor are the players listed below.
No team in the NFL has "elite" players at every position.

Kap had no weapons other than Boldin. He will Sunday.
You originally talked about how dangerous Kap is. Why do you see this as a valid excuse?

niners will get more key stops, panthers D will keep them in it for a while till they tire, niners win by 10... but not till late.
We've shut down better RBs, better TEs and better WRs and definitely better QBs. Why is it such an impossible task now?
Because the Niners beat the Packers, who haven't won a home playoff game since before Rodgers became a starter?

Are you seriously comparing NE's defense to SF? please tell me you are not...

My comment was re: how our DBs won't be able to hang with their receivers.
If your Offense can't sustain drives, your D Line will tire in the second half,
With the vanilla offense we've run the last several weeks, the exact opposite has occurred. Ask Drew Brees if you see him on Saturday.
I don't see CAR sustaining drives with a average offense and 60% Smith. I sure hope you're not relying on Williams and Tolbert...
Hmm one is one of two running backs in history to have averaged over 5.0 ypc over his first 1000 carries. The other is first team all-pro (you know... "not elite")
You have a team with a bunch of nobodys on offense, other than Cam and Smith. Other than those two you have good solid players but not game changers. apparently smith is playing but he quoted himself at 60%, i don't care who you are at 60% you're not contributing. Guin will be creamed all game, Olsen may get a few touches but nothing big.
who does that leave? Williams? Tolbert? please, neither are game changers against elite defenses..
But Kap will be against the most prolific pass rush this season?
Steve Smith at 60% is still Steve Smith. SF will blanket him. It only takes one time for Ginn to get a step on his man for that safety to stop cheating over Smitty's way. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but Smitty is rarely used in the deep passing attack this season.
So please tell me, how are you going to score enough to win?

Most likely field position and retiring that horrible vanilla offense we have run lately. Defensive scores are not out of the question either (assuming this officiating crew won't call an obvious fumble an incomplete pass)

How are you going to shut down all SF weapons in the 2nd half when your offense is constantly going 3 and out keeping your d on the field longer, not to mention your weak secondary.
Ask yourself if this applies to San Fran as well. Their D will be fresh and energized after their O goes 3 and out all day? We've shut down better weapons all year.
Your D line will tire if they're constantly out there.

This is backed up by historical data by the results of the game against ___ (fill in the blank)

Keep in mind you barely beat them when they had a significant amount of starters out, KEY Starters.

Barely what? Oh, beat them... Like always? We've owned SF since we came into the league. They haven't beaten us since the George Siefert years. They couldn't even beat us our 2-14 year. And I guess the key starters we didn't have in week 10 are irrelevant.
I stand by my statement, your d will keep you in it for a while, but in the end SF will win.

Most likely both teams are going to play very conservatively for the first half. They both will get more aggressive in the second half. They will both make mistakes.
Capitalizing on mistakes will be what decides this game. It will not be decided by our D being worn down while theirs is magically fresh and energetic during their third straight road game.

As much as i'd love to see CAR demolish the niners, i just don't see how, SF is clearly the better overall team, and it's really not close if you look at the offensive side of the ball.

It seems to me your knowledge of our offense is limited to names you recognize and big individual stats. For entertainment sake, hopefully Harbaugh will recognize what our offense consists of.

googoodan

Reaction score
Please note: not arguing the Whiners have a great chance of winning. I'm arguing the dismissing nature of how the Panthers are viewed in this thread.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
googoodan":3l22wiyj said:
Please note: not arguing the Whiners have a great chance of winning. I'm arguing the dismissing nature of how the Panthers are viewed in this thread.
The only thing you are going to get from the whiner trolls when they lose are excuses. So and so was hurt.

Seattle has curbstomped them the last 2 times up here by 29 and 26 points and all we hear was this Smith didn't play or that Smith's arm hurt, etc etc etc. It's the same excuses coming from the same whiner trolls in this thread when that are trying to justify the loss to your team in SF.

.....and when you beat them again this weekend you'll hear "congrats, nice game BUT....... So and so got hurt and if they would have played it would have changed the outcome.

Different week, same tune!

Good luck, you'll find that whiners troll's tears are simply delicious! 8)

hawker84

Reaction score
It seems to me your knowledge of our offense is limited to names you recognize and big individual stats. For entertainment sake, hopefully Harbaugh will recognize what our offense consists of.

Ok, since i don't know your entire offense by name except for the key players, who will step up in the absence of a banged up steve smith? How will you score points on SF defense? you still haven't answered the question.

And unless you're at Tom Fricken Brady status, you're going to be limited when your offensive weapons are not playing.. You cannot tell me that Vernon Davis, Crabtree, the other starting TE, all out is not going to negatively effect an offense. Other than Boldin, he had No one to throw to...Against a defense like CAR/SEA that is a death sentence. This will not be the case Sunday, he'll have them all back and healthy.

hawker84

Reaction score
googoodan":2fbqqubk said:

Not sure why you guys are over here looking for support. Fact is CAR has a great defense, mediocre secondary, mediocre offense and an unproven QB in the playoffs..

SF is a better more balanced team. Their denfense is just as good, offense is better and a proven QB in the playoffs, so why wouldn't folks expect CAR to lose? Only reason i'm giving CAR a chance is because they're at home. JMO

Make no mistake about it, I hate the niners and absolutely loath their fanbase and wish nothing but misery upon every single one of them. If CAR wins this game, i'll be one happy camper trust me. Just don't see it happening.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawker84":1f4uk1h0 said:
googoodan":1f4uk1h0 said:

Not sure why you guys are over here looking for support. Fact is CAR has a great defense, mediocre secondary, mediocre offense and an unproven QB in the playoffs..

SF is a better more balanced team. Their denfense is just as good, offense is better and a proven QB in the playoffs, so why wouldn't folks expect CAR to lose? Only reason i'm giving CAR a chance is because they're at home. JMO

Make no mistake about it, I hate the niners and absolutely loath their fanbase and wish nothing but misery upon every single one of them. If CAR wins this game, i'll be one happy camper trust me. Just don't see it happening.

I can attest to that.

13thMan

Reaction score
Marvin49":11caugmr said:
hawker84":11caugmr said:
googoodan":11caugmr said:

I can attest to that.

Marvin, just curious... Do most of the Niners fanbase want one last dance at the stick vs. the Saints or brawl for it all at CLink? Again, just curious...

HansGruber

Reaction score
SeahawksForever":ifvz7imy said:
Let's just worry about ourselves right now. Brees has the road playoff monkey off his back so that team is going to come in here jacked. If AZ can beat us here so can Drew Brees. I'm not giving the niners a single thought this week.

That's really important because if the fans start looking ahead, there's a good chance New Orleans will beat our team.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
13thMan":3kr9ls4a said:
Marvin, just curious... Do most of the Niners fanbase want one last dance at the stick vs. the Saints or brawl for it all at CLink? Again, just curious...

Pretending that the 9ers beat the Panthers (and I wouldn't look past that or assume that to happen), the Stick, just because:

1) They'd rather have a home game
2) They'd rather play the Saints than the Hawks
3) On top of rather having a home game they'd rather not have to play at the CLink.

Don't mean this as a dig AT ALL, but overall as a fanbase I think 9ers fans are a bit more pragmatic and circumspect about making it through the playoffs than some Hawks fans. There are Hawks fans that through the playoffs have preferred that the 9ers advance to the CLink over weaker teams (e.g. Packers, Eagles) simply because they want to "embarrass" the 9ers. In contrast, 9ers fans want to get back to the Super Bowl again to win it to make up for last year's loss. If the team has an easier road to get there to avenge that Super Bowl loss, that's what they want, IMO.

13thMan

Reaction score
Popeyejones":ga6mc4m5 said:
13thMan":ga6mc4m5 said:

Pretending that the 9ers beat the Panthers (and I wouldn't look past that or assume that to happen), the Stick, just because:

3) On top of rather having a home game they'd rather not have to play at the CLink.

Don't mean this as a dig AT ALL, but overall as a fanbase I think 9ers fans are a bit more pragmatic and circumspect about making it through the playoffs than some Hawks fans. There are Hawks fans that through the playoffs have preferred that the 9ers advance to the CLink over weaker teams (e.g. Packers, Eagles) simply because they want to "embarrass" the 9ers. In contrast, 9ers fans want to get back to the Super Bowl again to win it to make up for last year's loss. If the team has an easier road to get there to avenge that Super Bowl loss, that's what they want, IMO.

Thanks... good post. I fall in the category of Hawk fan who DOES NOT want to play the Niners. I truly believe that would be the toughest road at this point, especially given the Niners playoff experience vs. the inexperience of a Carolina/Cam Newton, etc...

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I fully expect the Niners to win. I think the teams are pretty eve, with the Niners getting an edge because there receivers play so physically. Plus, I think the lack of playoff experience for the Cats will be an issue.

Which shapes up next week as the game I have wanted all year, should the Hawks handle their business.

Marvin49

Reaction score
13thMan":14p8ppn0 said:
Marvin49":14p8ppn0 said:
hawker84":14p8ppn0 said:
googoodan":14p8ppn0 said:

I can attest to that.

I can't speak for most, but I can speak for myself...and I'm kinda torn on it.

I'd love to go to Seattle and make a statement and win there...

...but I also know that the Saints would be a far easier path and would give us a chance to send the old girl out right.

There is also one postseason scenario that I would love to see. It doesn't drive all of my hopes, but it's interesting to me. The Niners lost to the Seahawks, Colts, Panthers, and Saints in the regular season.

The 49ers already "avenged" that Seahawk loss in the regular season.

They have a chance to play all the other teams they lost to and "avenge" those games as well. It would require the Colts advancing to the Super Bowl, but you get the idea. Still though, this is just a possible interesting set of circumstances and not really the reason I'd wish for one scenario over another.

If you put a gun to my head I'd probably hope for the Saints simply because I like our chances far more playing the Saints at home than the Seahawks in that house of horrors.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
13thMan":vibqk062 said:
Popeyejones":vibqk062 said:
13thMan":vibqk062 said:

Thanks... good post. I fall in the category of Hawk fan who DOES NOT want to play the Niners. I truly believe that would be the toughest road at this point, especially given the Niners playoff experience vs. the inexperience of a Carolina/Cam Newton, etc...

Agreed. TBF though, it's probably a little tipped among the fanbases, as I think a good argument can be made for Panthers > 9ers (meaning for some Hawks fans the 9ers are believed to be the actual path of least resistance), and definitely a much better argument can be made for that than for Saints > Seahawks (basically, I think every reasonable person agrees that the Hawks are to be more feared than the Saints).

hawker84

Reaction score
I would take facing the panthers in the NFCCG over the niners any day for the exact reasons i think the niners will beat the panthers Sunday. We're better in 2 of the 3 phases, offense, and ST and just as good or better in the 3rd, defense.

HansGruber

Reaction score
googoodan":3vhjiom1 said:

You won't get that from me. I think Carolina will win. San Francisco's offense does not play well against aggressive physical defenses. To be more specific, Kaepernick turns back into a pumpkin once he's been hit a few times. That Carolina defense is fierce and we all saw what happened last time. You guys did exactly to the 49ers what we always do.

The key will be scoring on offense by the Panthers. If they can put up 2 TDs on offense, I think that will be more than enough to beat the Whiners. I expect to see at least one turnover from SF.

13thMan

Reaction score
A lot of wishful thinking on these boards I'm afraid..... but alas, one can hope.

James in PA

Reaction score
Guys, if we're able to get by New Orleans, we'll be playing San Fran the following week. Just accept that now. San Fran keeps finding ways to win frustratingly close games. I do not see that changing against Carolina. Expect a 1 to 4 point margin of victory, perhaps a few lucky breaks and or a few questionable calls in their favor. But the bottom line will be another close win. Also, the Hawks never get the "easy way out," which is why we found ourselves in a must win game against the Rams in week 17. Not calling Carolina easy by any means, but the way the Niners are playing now makes them a more formidable opponent. That all said, you just get the feeling the Hawks would get more jacked up for the Niners than they would for Carolina. So I like our chances in either case.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Shadyhawk182":3fzp19gd said:
FlyingGreg":3fzp19gd said:
Saints can be as motivated as they want. That D is ripe for the picking.

But our offense hasnt been much better at times.

Yeah.. they have not put up the numbers against the likes of SF in Candlestick, AZ in a tough game. Keep in mind that the running game worked against a stingy Rams team and Tater had 8 for 125 in a game that the Rams took every shot in the book. The offense actually moved the ball pretty well in SF. The way the teams were playing really limited the opportunities. Also consider all the big plays called back for lame penalties. Even the easy 70 yard TD to Willson was called back because of a DEFENSIVE penalty. RWs numbers look a lot better with that play.

I am not as sold on the Hawks offensive struggles as a lot of others. Especially considering the matchups. Even with that, in SF the Hawks had a late lead. Same for AZ. That deep TD pass that went off Maxwells hands? How many times does that happen? Those games were much different than what the Saints bring.

Of course, there is the Harvin factor. I will think about the next game after the Hawks play this one. I hope we get to talk about it being SF, but the team has to take care of business Saturday.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I respect the hell out of the Niners, but I hate them for sure. My take on the Car SF matchup will be, how does Kaep'n One Read deal with Crabtree being blanketed in coverage? Can he find time with Carolina's front four bearing down on him in order to find Boldin? Also, will the refs call a close game or allow Boldin to do his normal push off maneuvers? Will Munnerlin be able to muscle up with the more physical receivers?

I honestly see a gutsy effort coming from a very feisty Smith as usual. Will it be enough?

I also see a fumble from the Niners special teams biting them.

In the end, maybe the refs will continue to pick up flags off the turf against Keuchly holding the TE. It likely costs the Niners the game on a lady second effort into the end zone, cut to Harbaugh screaming "holding!!!" with his hat off and red face. Carolina wins by 1 point, Harbaugh's head explodes...literally.

googoodan

Reaction score
hawker84":1a9ugkp2 said:

Ok, since i don't know your entire offense by name except for the key players, who will step up in the absence of a banged up steve smith? How will you score points on SF defense? you still haven't answered the question.

Oh, but I did. Your reply was basically "pfff... those guys aren't elite," as if that was the question.
Kap needs 3 pro-bowl receivers to score. we do not; we don't have a single pro bowl receiver. How will we score? The same way we have all season - ball distribution, special teams, defense.
And unless you're at Tom Fricken Brady status, you're going to be limited when your offensive weapons are not playing.. You cannot tell me that Vernon Davis, Crabtree, the other starting TE, all out is not going to negatively effect an offense. Other than Boldin, he had No one to throw to...Against a defense like CAR/SEA that is a death sentence. This will not be the case Sunday, he'll have them all back and healthy.

In the end, Kap is still a one read QB. If that one read isn't there, he checks down or runs. You don't think the guy who's had a #1 defense every where he's been knows this and will use it to his advantage?

Latest posts