It's A 5 Team Race to #7

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Technically, Eagles don't have 5 wrapped up (yet), because we beat them.

If, by some weird Christmas miracle, we win 3, they drop 3, and LA loses at least one, we're the 5 I believe. (Might need Minny to drop 1 as well).

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Shanny has to see the threat the Rams pose with a healthy Stafford and those weapons, Niners should intend run over their asses on the ground and finish strong to close out the season and hopefully deny them entry to the tournament.
If there is a single team that is a threat to anyone in the league right now it is the rams.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The only thing is the 49ers hate the Rams as much as we do, so they will take great pleasure in knocking them out of the playoffs if they have the opportunity. On the other hand, they will play after our game so there's a good chance they going in knowing that regardless of the result they get to knock out a divisional rival
I think that's mostly a fan driven desire that doesn't extend to the players and coaches. Prior to free agency, the players union, and the salary cap, players and teams, like in the old AFL when the Chiefs and Raiders, used to really get after each other. Now, with players moving around in a big game of musical chairs, they don't develop the emotional bonds with their teams/fans like they used to.

IMO if the Niners have the #1 seed going into the last weekend, there's no way that McCaffery is going to see 20 touches. They're not going to risk a star player at an injury prone position in a meaningless game.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
The Rams don't have #6 wrapped up. If they lose to the 49ers (or the Giants) and we or the Vikings win out then #6 goes elsewhere. I think the Vikings even hold the tiebreaker against the Rams I haven't worked out the permutations for the 49er to wrap up the #1 spot this week but even if it is wrapped up they will want to give their stars some game time (not playing for 3 weeks will get them rusty) and the guys they do play will be fully incentivised to try and get a starting spot / new contract. It is in Santa Clara so even with the division wrapped up I would make the 49ers slight favorites and big favorites if it is not.

So the Way I see it you have 5 teams after 2 spots, the Rams are likely to take 1, the Vikes and us are 50:50 and the Packers and Falcons are outsiders.

If we win out I would be amazed if we fail to make the play-offs (one simulator put our play-off odds as >99%) and would have a decent chance of #6. Win 2 and it could go either way. Win 1 and we are looking for a miracle.

Fanatics

Reaction score
What is left and how I predict it will go. Coming off the big win, I am predicting we lose this week but really I just think we will lose one of the remaining 3 games. This gets us in by a hair.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Couple of things. People are assuming the Cowboys have the NFCE and the Niners have the one seed wrapped up, and the Niners will have nothing to play for in their final game against the Rams. I disagree.

Our only real competition is the Vikings. Our schedule looks easier, though they have the tie breaker over us.

Overall
- Eagles are finishing 13-4 (NFCE-Champs and #1 or #2)

- Niners, 13-4 or 12-5 if they don't beat the Ravens then they will have to beat the Rams for the #1 (NFCW-champs and either #1 or #2)

NFCE
- Cowboys will be 12-5 or 11-6 after dropping one to either the Dolphins (likely) or the Lions (possibly both) (#5)

NFCW
Rams will end at 9-8, after losing to Niners, or 10-7 if Niners have nothing to play for (#6 or #7 with tie breakers over both the Hawks and the Vikings)
Seahawks will end at 9-8 or 10-7 (#6 or #7 or out)

NFCN
Lions will be 12-5 or 11-6 (NFCN Champs and 3 seed)
Vikings will be 9-8 or 8-9 (#7 or out)
Packers 8-9 - out

NFCS
Buccaneers will be 9-7 (NFCS Champs and 4 seed)
Saints will be 8-9 as will Falcons - out

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The Rams don't have #6 wrapped up. If they lose to the 49ers (or the Giants) and we or the Vikings win out then #6 goes elsewhere. I think the Vikings even hold the tiebreaker against the Rams I haven't worked out the permutations for the 49er to wrap up the #1 spot this week but even if it is wrapped up they will want to give their stars some game time (not playing for 3 weeks will get them rusty) and the guys they do play will be fully incentivised to try and get a starting spot / new contract. It is in Santa Clara so even with the division wrapped up I would make the 49ers slight favorites and big favorites if it is not.

So the Way I see it you have 5 teams after 2 spots, the Rams are likely to take 1, the Vikes and us are 50:50 and the Packers and Falcons are outsiders.

If we win out I would be amazed if we fail to make the play-offs (one simulator put our play-off odds as >99%) and would have a decent chance of #6. Win 2 and it could go either way. Win 1 and we are looking for a miracle.
Rams currently hold the tie breaker over the Vikings due to better divisional record 4-1 vs 2-1. Vikings still have 3 divisional games and the Rams 1. Likely that advantage will hold.

LTH

Reaction score
One of the variables to keep an eye on is the Niners. If they win their next two games, vs. the Ravens and Commanders, then their last game vs. the Rams becomes meaningless as they will have clinched the #1 seed, meaning that they would probably treat the Rams game as a glorified preseason game.

Here's a reference guide for the upcoming weekend:

They might be able to beat the Rams with their 2nd string... I bet it's going to get a close game.

LTH

Fanatics

Reaction score
Rams currently hold the tie breaker over the Vikings due to better divisional record 4-1 vs 2-1. Vikings still have 3 divisional games and the Rams 1. Likely that advantage will hold.
Divisional records do not mean a thing when comparing two non division teams. Tiebreakers amongst wildcard teams will be head to head, conference record, common games, ...

Last edited:

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Divisional records do not mean a thing when comparing two non division teams. Tiebreakers amongst wildcard teams will be head to head, conference record, common games, ...
I knew before last nights game the Vikings were #6, the Rams #7 (and us #8) with all of us at 7:7. Just looked up conferance record the Vikings are 6:3 and the Rams 6:4. With niether playing any more AFC teams (and no H2H) if they finished tied the Vikings win the tie breaker on conference record.