The 49ers Super Bowl Window Has Closed, But So Has the Division.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Good grief, Pete Carroll led the Seahawks into mediocrity purgatory after the two Super Bowls. Overpaid a limited QB as if he was "unlimited", made ridiculous, overpaying trades for players who screwed the Seahawks salary cap and hardly played, while pissing away major draft capital, then pissed away the draft capital on below average players like LJ Collier, pissed away more key draft capital with questionable in-season trades for "rentals" to try to prop himself up for end-of-season performance evaluations, again mortgaging the future. Overpaid underperformers, and put the Seahawks in salary cap hell. Failed to adjust his defense to the reality of defending new McShanahanVay offenses, and capped it off by getting swept by both the 49ers and Rams this last year.

I confess I was a big Pete fan, and it's only in hindsight that I'm able to assess his last 8-ish years honestly, in hindsight. The Seahawks should be about +6 impact players above where the roster is now, without Pete's, in hindsight, abominable GM decisions, probably overruling John Schneider on many occasions.

My sense is the 49ers did a much better GM-ing job overall, with the exception of the Trey Lance fiasco, and then got freakin' lucky with Mr. Irrelevant, essentially canceling out the negative impact of the Lance mess. They are probably +5 impact players compared to Seattle, as a result of Carroll's crappy GM work, especially Trent Williams, who throws Seahawk defenders around like a rag doll, and Bosa, Warner, Greenlaw, Kittle, CMC, and Deebo. That's actually 6 impact players who have the Seahawks' number, and there are several more. Purdy is playing at a high level that most GMs would happily trade the Lance draft capital for. Seattle answers (historically) with players like LJ Collier, Malik McDowell, Dee Eskridge, Marquise Blair, Cody Barton, and so forth.

I'd say the 49ers Lombardi window is WIDE OPEN and will remain that way for at least the next couple years, +/- ability to re-sign star players, and drafting well. It's open until Seattle, Rams, or Cardinals close it by wresting away control of the division. The Seahawks have placed their bets on Mike Macdonald to be the ONE guy who has shown he can build defenses that shut down the 49ers and Rams offenses, and JS to do a better job overall of talent acquisition, roster-building, and salary cap management.

xray

Reaction score
Like them or hate them...SF did the work , won enough games , and are in the SB . I don't know about windows opening or closing ; but I do think that the NFC West will be a tough one to win in next season . imo

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Like them or hate them...SF did the work , won enough games , and are in the SB . I don't know about windows opening or closing ; but I do think that the NFC West will be a tough one to win in next season . imo
Rams will definitely be better.

chris98251

Reaction score
I really think Pete was feeling his time was getting short and was trying to get that impact player or two that would get them to the dance. Desperation moves rarely work if something isn't aligning so we got Adams and some other guys. Kinda like when we grabbed Harvin thinking we need that one thing, he didn't work out either but we didn't need him to win.

Torc

Reaction score
The Whiners window won't start to close until after next season. Purdy's contract runs through 2025, but it's pretty standard now to negotiate an extension with a year left. That means after next season, he'll be at bare minimum making $40 million a year, to barely squeak into the top 10 paid QBs (using the contracts for the 2023 season). If he has another season where his name is being mentioned in the MVP conversation, he could be looking at $50 million, putting him in the top 5. That's when you have Whiner fans being the ones saying that he is just a system QB and that he shouldn't be gouging the salary cap like that. :p

We all know from experience what happens when your QB finishes his rookie deal.

94Smith

Reaction score
We all know from experience what happens when your QB finishes his rookie deal.
Last time I looked Mahomes is not on his rookie deal anymore... its not a universal statement. Also Lamar is on a pretty big contract as well and the Ravens fielded the best defense this year

Last edited:

Torc

Reaction score
Last time I looked Mahomes is not on his rookie deal anymore... its not a universal statement
Last I looked, Purdy is not Mahomes, and Kyle is not Reid. It is not impossible to overcome, but you're not keeping all the very highly paid players you have now. Bosa, McCaffrey, Williams, Kittle, Warner....all potentially/probably cap casualties when it comes to signing Purdy.

94Smith

Reaction score
Last I looked, Purdy is not Mahomes, and Kyle is not Reid. It is not impossible to overcome, but you're not keeping all the very highly paid players you have now. Bosa, McCaffrey, Williams, Kittle, Warner....all potentially/probably cap casualties when it comes to signing Purdy.
See my above statement about Lamar. Also Detroit, Goff is not on a rookie deal. So 3/4 of the championship finalists are not on rookie contracts. Williams will be retired. Armstead, Aiyuk more likely cap casualties then the players you listed. Kittle may be let go when this contract is up as he will be 33 I beleieve

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I'm not convinced the 49ers window has closed but they're screwed regardless if Baltimore, Buffalo or Kansas City keeps being their opponents in the Super Bowl. Or when Burrow is healthy. IF the 49ers even make it again. Because the Rams are loaded with 1st and 2nd year guys and I would bet everything I have we will exactly the same by August.

I love the Leslie Frazier hire very similar to what the Rams did for McVay to get someone very experienced on his staff given so far it looks like we're going to get a very young OC and let him grow into the role.

Last edited:

seahawks08

Reaction score
I don’t believe in windows. Rams are completely revamping after their Superbowl and already reached the playoffs with different set of players. It’s about continuous revamping and coaching kids up along with drafting well. Yes having a QB who is great can always give teams an edge like the Chiefs. It’s a little bit of luck and a whole lot of everything that can keep Superbowl windows alive. I see the next Dynasty being the chiefs though.