I Like Where We're at Again (Disrespected)

Optimus25

Reaction score
The PNW Seahawks always seem to have a chip on their shoulders when the media or general public is counting them out. I liked that last year when i knew we had a pretty good thing going with the new Geno, but we just never had enough "pop" on the defense to back up any swagger you need for the big games.

This year we have a whole lotta popping going on and the team is starting to get an identity of toughness and bravado we haven't seen for a long time.

I don't do sports betting per se, but i do pay a lot of attention to lines since I'm in two different pick ems leagues- and I still can't understand Seattle being 6 point dogs any day or anywhere in the league right now. Opening up the odds site, I expected to see the customary 2.5 - 3 points going to the home team of a very good NFL team in a dogfight, but giving Seattle 6 seems like a major diss to me.

For context, one of the better teams in the league (Lions) were 7 point favorites last week against the complete trainwreck that is the Raiders this year.

Last I checked, we have a pretty stout, hard hitting defense with a potent offense and stellar special teams, a team who happens to LEAD THE NFC WEST coming to Baltimore, and we're barely drawing the same respect that the freaking Raiders did going up against a solid Detroit team.

If everyone wants to start counting us out this much, I'm all for it. I just hope the players and staff notice.

LOL --> Literally between me starting this post and double checking, the line already moved to 5.5! Vegas starting to hedge that bet!

RiverDog

Reaction score
The betting odds are determined by forecasted betting activity. That's why they're adjusted throughout the week as the bets come in. They are not reflective of any 'expert' opinion or detailed analysis of the teams. The object for bookies is to equalize the potential payout for each team so as to reduce their risk if either team loses. They make their money on the 5% they take from all bets. They are not trying to forecast who's going to win.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't pay much attention to the betting lines.

94Smith

Reaction score
If you feel so strongly about the line, you can bet money on it

Mick063

Reaction score
This isn't any different than media stories and media coverage. Let's get to the truth about ALL of this. The NFL is first and foremost about making money.

The Seahawks are in a time zone where the majority of NFL fans don't reside.
The Seahawks are a small market team surrounded by low population states.

Odds makers are chasing the greatest number of people with money in their wallet. That would be an area east of the Mississippi River or south of the State of Oregon. The people they are after are inundated with East Coast media narratives. Their target bettors are simply unfamiliar with our team.

After the Lions got shellacked, the spread had to open at six. That spread is just too big. The Seattle defense is in a different stratosphere than the Lions. The identity of this team is defense and running the ball, but they can still sling it if their backs are against the wall. Win the turnover margin, convert more than 50% of third downs, and Seattle will EASILY cover that six-point spread.

The Ravens are a team that Seattle has to unleash multiple tight end sets upon. They have to have a mentality that is similar to facing the Forty Niners. That means physicality, swagger, and toughness. This is nothing new to this team.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
This isn't any different than media stories and media coverage. Let's get to the truth about ALL of this. The NFL is first and foremost about making money.

The Seahawks are in a time zone where the majority of NFL fans don't reside.
The Seahawks are a small market team surrounded by low population states.

Odds makers are chasing the greatest number of people with money in their wallet. That would be an area east of the Mississippi River or south of the State of Oregon. The people they are after are inundated with East Coast media narratives. Their target bettors are simply unfamiliar with our team.

After the Lions got shellacked, the spread had to open at six. That spread is just too big. The Seattle defense is in a different stratosphere than the Lions. The identity of this team is defense and running the ball, but they can still sling it if their backs are against the wall. Win the turnover margin, convert more than 50% of third downs, and Seattle will EASILY cover that six-point spread.

The Ravens are a team that Seattle has to unleash multiple tight end sets upon. They have to have a mentality that is similar to facing the Forty Niners. That means physicality, swagger, and toughness. This is nothing new to this team.
Well, we're not a small market team. Seattle is ranked 14th in the country, which makes us a mid sized market. Denver, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Nashville, Green Bay, Cincy, Las Vegas, NOLA, Buffalo, and several others are all smaller markets than we are. Plus, you have to consider that several teams, like the Jets/Giants, Rams/Chargers, and Ravens/Commanders share their markets.

But I agree with most of the rest of your statement. The sports media will appeal to the largest audience as that's where the advertising revenue is. If you tell someone what they want to hear, they are more likely to listen to you.

The other thing is that it's not just about market size, it's about star power. The Chiefs, with Mahomes, Kelce, and Taylor Swift, attract nation wide, and in some cases, world wide attention. Geno Smith and Bobby Wagner don't.

Last edited:

Mick063

Reaction score
Well, we're not a small market team. Seattle is ranked 14th in the country, which makes us a mid sized market. Denver, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Nashville, Green Bay, Cincy, Las Vegas, NOLA, Buffalo, and several others are all smaller markets than we are. Plus, you have to consider that several teams, like the Jets/Giants, Rams/Chargers, and Ravens/Commanders share their markets.

But I agree with most of the rest of your statement. The sports media will appeal to the largest audience as that's where the advertising revenue is. If you tell someone what they want to hear, they are more likely to listen to you.

The other thing is that it's not just about market size, it's about star power. The Chiefs, with Mahomes, Kelce, and Taylor Swift, attract nation wide, and in some cases, world wide attention. Geno Smith and Bobby Wagner don't.
"Star Power" is a manufactured product. It is usually associated with winning, but media coverage has a lot to do with it. We could help with the star power if we could collectively get behind our stars. When we give reasoned arguments on why a given Seahawk doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame, or in the pro bowl, or doesn't deserve an award, we as fans, kill "star power". We are often our own worst enemy when it comes to star power. We let national pundits do the thinking for us.

I maintain that Seattle is a small market team because the three-state region just has fewer eyes upon the television screen than other teams (from a regional perspective). All you have to do is pay attention to how FOX covers this team relative to other NFC teams and you will instinctively realize this. When were the Seahawks last billed as FOX "game of the week"? Even when only competing against less than five other teams in the 1:00 P.M. (Pacific) kickoff time slot? Keep in mind that Seattle only trails the Patriots, Chiefs, and Packers for the most wins since the year 2011. There has been plenty of available "star power" over the last dozen years.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
"Star Power" is a manufactured product. It is usually associated with winning, but media coverage has a lot to do with it. We could help with the star power if we could collectively get behind our stars. When we give reasoned arguments on why a given Seahawk doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame, or in the pro bowl, or doesn't deserve an award, we as fans, kill "star power". We are often our own worst enemy when it comes to star power. We let national pundits do the thinking for us.

I maintain that Seattle is a small market team because the three-state region just has fewer eyes upon the television screen than other teams (from a regional perspective). All you have to do is pay attention to how FOX covers this team relative to other NFC teams and you will instinctively realize this. When were the Seahawks last billed as FOX "game of the week"? Even when only competing against less than five other teams in the 1:00 P.M. (Pacific) kickoff time slot? Keep in mind that Seattle only trails the Patriots, Chiefs, and Packers for the most wins since the year 2011. There has been plenty of available "star power" over the last dozen years.
Seattle traditionally has more "eyes" on the TV screen relative to their region than about 2/3's of the teams in the league. This article is from 2021, our worst season in 10 years:

To put this into context, I've interspersed these local TV ratings rankings with the national ratings for other major sporting events. Keep in mind these are average ratings.

1. Buffalo -- 47.16
2. Kansas City -- 45.28

Super Bowl LIV: 41.6

3. Green Bay -- 41.57
4. New Orleans -- 40.89
5. Pittsburgh -- 36.24
6. Cleveland -- 35.19
7. New England -- 31.47
8. Seattle -- 31.41
9. Dallas -- 29.55
10. Minnesota -- 28.89
11. Cincinnati -- 28.85
12. Baltimore -- 27.91
13. Tennessee -- 26.32
14. Denver -- 25.89
15. Philadelphia -- 25.41
16. Indianapolis -- 24.31

Those are ratings, not gross viewers. A team like the Giants might not have as high of ratings but will have more total viewers. It's a reflection of our popularity within our region.

Combine that with the fact that we are the 14th largest TV market, your theory doesn't hold water.

Last edited:

NoGain

Reaction score
It's the fate of Seattle teams that they have to make themselves almost impossible to ignore with the national media before they get the credit they deserve.

Mad Dog

Reaction score

Nice that you ignore the 3 million people 2 hours north of Seattle. 10,000 game tickets are sold to Canadians for every Seahawk home game.

Only Buffalo gets the same benefit of Canadian fans.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Nice that you ignore the 3 million people 2 hours north of Seattle. 10,000 game tickets are sold to Canadians for every Seahawk home game.

Only Buffalo gets the same benefit of Canadian fans.
Good point.

Actually, we're one of the more popular teams in the league, consistently ranked in the top 1/3 of the league. Here's an article that supports that contention:

9. Seattle Seahawks

The Seattle Seahawks are one of the most popular NFL teams. The Seahawks crowd, known as the “12th Man”, are among the rowdiest in the NFL and shows just how passionate Seattle fans are.

The “12th Man” even created an earthquake during one of the biggest playoff upsets in NFL history – the 2010 NFC Wildcard Playoffs victory over New Orleans. Three Super Bowl appearances and a championship win has helped the franchise achieve over 2.5 million Twitter followers and are extremely popular across the Pacific Northwest and Alaska.

https://www.wolfgangsport.com/most-...owboys,8 8. Kansas City Chiefs ... More items

And that's despite the fact that we lack a true star or a storied tradition/name recognition like the Cowboys, Packers, Niners, Steelers, Raiders, et al. So let's dispense with this hand wringing, everybody hates us, it's us against the world mentality.

WarHawks

Reaction score
It's likely by design, to drive more bets and move the line. I'm not a bettor, but that seems likely to me.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score

"Star Power" is manufactured by results and personalities. Has little to do with fanbases. Lynch was a star because of what he did on the field and the attention he received for never talking to the media. Sherm was a star because of what he did on the field and his vocal mouth. Alexander became a star because he scored TD's by the dozen and couldn't be overlooked.

The current team doesnt have much "Star Power". DK has the most potential right now, but he's a mental midget that turns people off so that hurts him. Geno is probably the next guy up because he finally had a season in which he didnt suck and people and the league took notice. Walker and Spoon have the ability to become future stars, but they are too green yet.

"Star Power" has nothing to do with what team a player plays for.

RiverDog

Reaction score
"Star Power" is manufactured by results and personalities. Has little to do with fanbases. Lynch was a star because of what he did on the field and the attention he received for never talking to the media. Sherm was a star because of what he did on the field and his vocal mouth. Alexander became a star because he scored TD's by the dozen and couldn't be overlooked.

The current team doesnt have much "Star Power". DK has the most potential right now, but he's a mental midget that turns people off so that hurts him. Geno is probably the next guy up because he finally had a season in which he didnt suck and people and the league took notice. Walker and Spoon have the ability to become future stars, but they are too green yet.

"Star Power" has nothing to do with what team a player plays for.
Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that "Star Power" has nothing to do with the team they play for. A player who 'stars' for the Cowboys has a lot more potential to become the face of football than that same player would if he were playing for a less popular team. Deion Sanders didn't become "Prime Time" while playing for the Falcons. Same with Michael Irvin.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that "Star Power" has nothing to do with the team they play for. A player who 'stars' for the Cowboys has a lot more potential to become the face of football than that same player would if he were playing for a less popular team. Deion Sanders didn't become "Prime Time" while playing for the Falcons. Same with Michael Irvin.

Yeah, I see your point. The more exposure, the easier. My point is Sanders and Irvin would have been national stars no matter what team they were on because they were that good.

Your point has been taken though.

RiverDog

Reaction score
My favorite example is Chad Johnson, Ochocinco. Yea, he was a star, but he played in Cincinatti, a small market team with a small and passive fan base. He didn't get near the attention he would have gotten had he played for the Cowboys.

NoGain

Reaction score
I don't know if it's because I have Covid, or if I just woke up in a little ornery mood, but I'm starting to get pissed off heading into this game. Yeah, that disrespect thing. I wonder if the players feel that as well and want to stick it to the nation? They read what's being written and talked about in the media. It's got to have an effect on them. I wonder if the team has a little extra edge to them now, or if I'm just projecting my own mood upon the situation?

God I want to win this one now. Yeah, lowly Hawks flew to the east coast and beat the almighty Ravens. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

renofox

Reaction score
I'm not seeing much disrespect out there. Almost everyone I've seen has said it's going to be a tough, close game.

Yes, almost everyone is picking the Ravens, but imo they have shown themselves to be the better team so far this season.

Mick063

Reaction score
I'm not seeing much disrespect out there. Almost everyone I've seen has said it's going to be a tough, close game.

Yes, almost everyone is picking the Ravens, but imo they have shown themselves to be the better team so far this season.
Watch ESPN this morning?

Cowboys/Eagles
Burrow back
Cowboys/Eagles
Raiders dysfunction
Cowboys/Eagles
Jordan Love dysfunction
Cowboys/Eagles
Lamar Jacskon
Cowboys/Eagles
Stafford out
Cowboys/Eagles