Sure feels like it's going to be 49ers-Seahawks again

rlkats

Reaction score
carolina is no joke. Niner fans do not look past this game. I feel like we could win but we will have to play lights out.

Go Niners

NFLFanSweden

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":xt0l03s7 said:
They barely beat one of the worst defenses in the league. They also barely beat AZ and ATL. Let's not act like they have been steam rolling these dominant opponents.

As a Niner Faithful, I'm taking it one week at a time. I KNOW Carolina is going to be the tough game for us, but I'm hoping we'll play hard and get it done. I'll take the W's.

You make it sound like we don't have talent on the team though to get it done. A team is only as good as their last win and even the Seahawks have "barely won" a time or two this season and have been "barely beaten". All the Niners have to do is stick it out and come out with a win against Carolina and Seattle. May not be likely to you but I bet if you ask Carroll even, it's not impossible.

As they say, "On any given Sunday..."

You love your team. I love mine. Go Niners!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":3l0jaywq said:
Woah.

Slow down.

Peeps on TV keep mentioning that Crabtree was still out the first time around, but they also lost Vernon in the first quarter and they lost their #3 TE (Celek) in the first half. IE, this TE Driven offense lost 2 of its top 3 TEs and the only guy left playing was a rook who dropped what could have been a game changing pass. They ended up playing most of the game with O-Linemen playing TE.

Now they have all those TEs back, have Crab back, and even have a viable 3rd wr in Patton. IE, this is a VERY different team than the one that played the Panthers in the regular season. That much is true.

I am in no way looking past the Panthers tho. They are completely capable of beating the Niners. IF the niners DO win the SB this year, their road will be through -20 degree windshill in GB, v the Panthers, vs the 'hawks, and probably against cold weather again and the Broncos. Nobody will be able to say it was an easy road. I will route for them every step of the way, but I just think that is just to much of a gauntlet to get through for the Lombardi.
and the excuses start........ :34853_doh:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
rlkats":2zhhk17j said:
carolina is no joke. Niner fans do not look past this game. I feel like we could win but we will have to play lights out.

Go Niners
Outside of the last line, the voice of reason 49erwise speaks ^

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
If it is Seahawks vs 49ers in the NFC CG,

I want to see the Seahawks sticky Richard Sherman (6'3, 195, 4.5 Forty) on Michael Crabtree (6'2, 215, 4.5 Forty). Best Corner vs Best WR, shut down that option for Kaepernick completely.

As for Boldin (6'1, 220, 4.7), they can sticky Maxwell ( 6'0, 205, 4.4) to him. He also may not look like it but he's probably the Seahawks biggest (not tallest), strongest, and fastest CB. If Boldin burns him in route-running ability, Maxwell as speed to recover. However, if Crabtree burns Maxwell in route-running, he can use that great length to make catches.

Sherman however slightly towers over Crabtree and is just as fast and lengthy plus Sherman possesses the same 10-20 yard track speed burst.

I think Sherman can shut down Crabtree, and the fact its Sherman will make Kaepernick hesitant to throw that way. Then if Crabtree is shutdown, CK will go to Boldin and I think Maxwell can shut him down or cause havoc if Kaep is forcing throws.

Leaves Davis and Gore. If Sherman and Maxwell are playing shutdown football, I would just have Thomas and Wagner mainly focus on containing Gore and Kaepernick. While Chanchellor plus the OLBs work together to take out Davis.

The key to shutting down the 49ers offense is not shutting down Gore and forcing Kaepernick to burden the load, its simply limiting their clutch splash plays while not giving them free yardage and 1st downs with penalties.

Also, I want to see Chanchellor intercept Kaepernick and watch Colin try to tackle his ass. All aboard the Kam-Trak destination Knocked the F Out.

BleedGreenNblue

Reaction score
really the only thing Kap has going for him is his legs. The dude is crazy fast and can elude defenders and make plays

Marvin49

Reaction score
googoodan":yoqx0nrh said:
I'm not exactly overflowing with confidence for our game, but c'mon. We've stopped Gronk, Graham, Gonzo, but now Vernon Davis will be too much?

At least know what's gonna kill us: first, Crabtree and Boldin. Second, our O vs. any 3-4, especially a physical one like the 9ers'.

Vernon is a very different player who can challenge you in a different way than those players...

...but I am in no way saying he will be "too much". I'm just saying the last time these two teams played and the Panthers completely dominated the 49er O the 49ers were missing several pieces that might have made it less of a domination. I'm not suggesting that all of the sudden the 49er O would have 400 yards or something...but they lost by 1 freakin point. Adding Crab and Vernon and their 3rd TE and a reliable 3rd WR might make a difference in a 1 point game.

Marvin49

Reaction score
BleedGreenNblue":3e5l06kw said:
really the only thing Kap has going for him is his legs. The dude is crazy fast and can elude defenders and make plays

Well I'd argue he has alot more going for him than that...he did have a QB rating of about 105 in the last 6 weeks of the season, but i partially agree with you about his mobility. He has a different type of mobility than Wilson or Cam.

Kap is probably the fastest and can accelerate to top speed incredibly fast, but he isn't all that great at eluding defenders and doesn't escape the pocket as well as I would like. He also probably has the biggest arm of the group.

Cam is big and strong but not as fast. He is much more elusive though and better at eluding defenders in tight spaces and breaking tackles.

Wilson is altogether different. He doesn't have Kaps speed or Cams size, but he is slippery as hell and can escape in a way nobody else can and keep plays alive. That combined with his deadly downfield accuracy make him scary as hell.

BleedGreenNblue

Reaction score
Marvin49":ldb4bhq7 said:
BleedGreenNblue":ldb4bhq7 said:

Well I'd argue he has alot more going for him than that...he did have a QB rating of about 105 in the last 6 weeks of the season, but i partially agree with you about his mobility. He has a different type of mobility than Wilson or Cam.

Kap is probably the fastest and can accelerate to top speed incredibly fast, but he isn't all that great at eluding defenders and doesn't escape the pocket as well as I would like. He also probably has the biggest arm of the group.

Cam is big and strong but not as fast. He is much more elusive though and better at eluding defenders in tight spaces and breaking tackles.

Wilson is altogether different. He doesn't have Kaps speed or Cams size, but he is slippery as hell and can escape in a way nobody else can and keep plays alive. That combined with his deadly downfield accuracy make him scary as hell.
Yea Kap can explode with his speed to get the yards they need. Hes tough to bring down. Thats his biggest threat I think. Maybe as he matures his vision will as well. As for wilson whats most impressive to me is his vision AFTER scrambling for his life and shaking off defenders and still being able make those off footed throws and keep the play alive

Marvin49

Reaction score
BleedGreenNblue":2e57gry1 said:
Marvin49":2e57gry1 said:
BleedGreenNblue":2e57gry1 said:

Yea Kap can explode with his speed to get the yards they need. Hes tough to bring down. Thats his biggest threat I think. Maybe as he matures his vision will as well. As for wilson whats most impressive to me is his vision AFTER scrambling for his life and shaking off defenders and still being able make those off footed throws and keep the play alive

I guess the best way I can explain it is its like Kap is like a tall rangy wr running the ball. Wilson kinda like a RB.

Cam is like freakin' Eddie George. LOL.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
rlkats":2bx60lyh said:

Go Niners

Damn straight Kats. Ultimately I think the Niners just get a few more breaks than the Panthers (or make a few more of their own executing) that decide the game in the end. I just am not fully bought into Carolina, I know they have a GREAT defense that keeps them in games, very similar to the 2011 Niners, but I have no doubt that the Niners offense is more complete and likely to make a few more plays.

Just feeling SF gets this one. Heck, who knows? They haven't been in the playoffs for years, they might have a 5 alarm melt-down out there and give SF 6 turnovers as Newton passes his way into the record book of shame. Either way, if the Hawks win against the Saints, they will be getting a team that had a serious dogfight the week before. Of course, if the Seahawks await, that isn't going to get ANY easier. There is a brutal schedule. Packers in below zero, Panthers on the road and Seahawks on the road. OUCH. I KNOW you are a big Saints fans next week Kats.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I will consider the Niners potential in the Clink if and when that bridge needs to be crossed. Just let Niner fans talk and make their excuses. It is always the same story with them, "But this and But that" "Crabtree-Davis" blah blah blah.. You won't here them talking about defenders missing games, but they are quick to fire up their own. While it is likely that the Niners come here and I gladly welcome it, I am having more fun with this week's team in the Saints and their excuses.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
As a 9ers fans I'm absolutely not looking past the Panthers game in the slightest. It's the playoffs. All the teams are good. Any team can win. The Panthers also mach up against the 9ers realy well.

Basically I think there's about a 1 in 4 chance of the Hawks and 9ers playing each other in two weeks (with the Hawks slightly above even odds to be there and the 9ers slightly below even odds to be there).

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":uhd1mtnz said:
As a 9ers fans I'm absolutely not looking past the Panthers game in the slightest. It's the playoffs. All the teams are good. Any team can win. The Panthers also mach up against the 9ers realy well.

Basically I think there's about a 1 in 4 chance of the Hawks and 9ers playing each other in two weeks (with the Hawks slightly above even odds to be there and the 9ers slightly below even odds to be there).

I'd say the 'hawks have a better shot than that but I'd agree with you on the Niners-Panthers.

Marvin49

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":5n2iz539 said:
Niners-Panthers looks to be one of the games of the weekend. I expect NE to thump the flukey Colts, and I reckon Denver will take care of the shitty Bolts. Seahawks won't lose this game. Simply isn't going to happen. they are relatively healthy, and Harvin adds a whole new element that Peyton will not be able to gameplan for.

Panthers and Niners are a very very good matchup. Kaep won't be able to run all over them like he did against that hapless GB defense, but he will get some passing yards, methinks. I think the Panthers will definitely put up some yards with a balanced attack. I think that one comes down to whomever has the ball last. It's tough for any west-coast team to travel all the way across the country and play a rested team at 10am PST. The Niners are a good team and will put up more than a fight this Sunday, but I really feel that in the end, Carolina will get it done. I just think they'll be better rested and that will prove the difference. The Niners are healthy, but their bodies will be weary after that frozen hell they played in yesterday. I see Carolina edging them by a field goal, but can easily see the Niners winning it by the same margin. Should be a really entertaining game.

Pretty much agree on all accounts.

I'm not sure on Harvin tho. Its not that I doubt him. Its more that I think the guys they have now are pretty damn good so not sure how much of an upgrade he is. Upgrade certainly, just not sure how much.

When Crab came back, he was replacing...well...essentially NOBODY. Almost pure add to the offense.

hawker84

Reaction score
Niners will win a very close one and i'll explain why i believe this.

both defenses are identical. front 7 is elite, defensive backfield, very mediocre

give the edge in ST to SF, guinn has made some plays but, SF kicker is lights out.

this leaves offense... Smith is out, which leaves Guinn and who? nuff said
SF has a healthy, Crabtree, Boldin, Davis, Gore - Kap is every bit as dangerous as Newton, but giving Newton has no offensive weapons he can't do it alone.

niners will get more key stops, panthers D will keep them in it for a while till they tire, niners win by 10... but not till late. It's going to be up to CAR front 7 to keep the pressure on and get off the field after 3 downs. I just think you'll start to see them wear down in the 2nd half, giving Kap more time and when that happens, their recieving corps will have a field day against an already mediocre CAR secondary.

hawker84

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":i65kzu0v said:
Niners-Panthers looks to be one of the games of the weekend. I expect NE to thump the flukey Colts, and I reckon Denver will take care of the shitty Bolts. Seahawks won't lose this game. Simply isn't going to happen. they are relatively healthy, and Harvin adds a whole new element that Peyton will not be able to gameplan for.

Panthers and Niners are a very very good matchup. Kaep won't be able to run all over them like he did against that hapless GB defense, but he will get some passing yards, methinks. I think the Panthers will definitely put up some yards with a balanced attack. I think that one comes down to whomever has the ball last. It's tough for any west-coast team to travel all the way across the country and play a rested team at 10am PST. The Niners are a good team and will put up more than a fight this Sunday, but I really feel that in the end, Carolina will get it done. I just think they'll be better rested and that will prove the difference. The Niners are healthy, but their bodies will be weary after that frozen hell they played in yesterday. I see Carolina edging them by a field goal, but can easily see the Niners winning it by the same margin. Should be a really entertaining game.

So Denver cake walks through the regular season, and now gets to cakewalk through the divisional round playing SD? Un fricken real.. Must be nice to be a Bronco fan...

Polaris

Reaction score
I compiled the record for wildcard round teams (seeds 3-6) for the past ten seasons (since the 2003 season). That record can be found on the main page.

The upshot is, the data suggests that an average of 1.6 WC round teams (out of a maximum possible of 4) will make it past the division round. That tells me that we should expect one and maybe two participants in the WC Round to win this weekend. The compiled record also strongly suggests that if it is two, they will be from different conferences.

If there are two WC round participants that survive this coming weekend, I'd predict they'd be the Niners and the Bolts. Seattle and New England are both far too disciplined at home to lose to inferior teams IMHO. If there is only one, I still would favor the Bolts rather than the Niners because Peyton Manning is a bad fit for home field at Denver in the playoffs......

Polaris

Reaction score
hawker84":3445bfrv said:
So Denver cake walks through the regular season, and now gets to cakewalk through the divisional round playing SD? Un fricken real.. Must be nice to be a Bronco fan...

To be fair, on paper at least Denver is a MUCH better team than San Diego. That said, I do have SD at least covering the spread if not pulling off the outright upset. Denver's play has declined the entire last part of the season, they can be run on and pushed around, their defense is nothing special, and Peyton Manning is emphatically not clutch in cold weather playoff games (which is all of them in Denver).

If Denver does beat the Bolts, they won't beat New England. That's my take.