Sure feels like it's going to be 49ers-Seahawks again

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawker84":4975mias said:
Niners will win a very close one and i'll explain why i believe this.

both defenses are identical. front 7 is elite, defensive backfield, very mediocre

give the edge in ST to SF, guinn has made some plays but, SF kicker is lights out.

this leaves offense... Smith is out, which leaves Guinn and who? nuff said
SF has a healthy, Crabtree, Boldin, Davis, Gore - Kap is every bit as dangerous as Newton, but giving Newton has no offensive weapons he can't do it alone.

niners will get more key stops, panthers D will keep them in it for a while till they tire, niners win by 10... but not till late. It's going to be up to CAR front 7 to keep the pressure on and get off the field after 3 downs. I just think you'll start to see them wear down in the 2nd half, giving Kap more time and when that happens, their recieving corps will have a field day against an already mediocre CAR secondary.

Is Smith out?

I know he was hurt but I got the impression he was going to play. I haven't been looking at it this morning tho.

Polaris

Reaction score
Marvin49":3rc0les2 said:
hawker84":3rc0les2 said:

both defenses are identical. front 7 is elite, defensive backfield, very mediocre

give the edge in ST to SF, guinn has made some plays but, SF kicker is lights out.

SF has a healthy, Crabtree, Boldin, Davis, Gore - Kap is every bit as dangerous as Newton, but giving Newton has no offensive weapons he can't do it alone.

niners will get more key stops, panthers D will keep them in it for a while till they tire, niners win by 10... but not till late. It's going to be up to CAR front 7 to keep the pressure on and get off the field after 3 downs. I just think you'll start to see them wear down in the 2nd half, giving Kap more time and when that happens, their recieving corps will have a field day against an already mediocre CAR secondary.

Is Smith out?

I know he was hurt but I got the impression he was going to play. I haven't been looking at it this morning tho.

According to Florio (Profootball talk), Smith is expected to play.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Polaris":8ummys4k said:
Marvin49":8ummys4k said:
hawker84":8ummys4k said:

Is Smith out?

According to Florio (Profootball talk), Smith is expected to play.

Thats what I thought.

Sac

Reaction score
Twice now Russell has dissected Rob Ryan's defense. Last year with Dallas and the MNF football game this year. I'm not too worried about that side of the ball.

Doubtful though that we hold the Saints to 7 points again.

I'm thinking 27-17 Seahawks.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":288gloun said:
Twice now Russell has dissected Rob Ryan's defense. Last year with Dallas and the MNF football game this year. I'm not too worried about that side of the ball.

Doubtful though that we hold the Saints to 7 points again.

I'm thinking 27-17 Seahawks.

Probably.

As much as I'd love to see the Saints win, I just can't see a way that it could happen. While their offenseive and defensive ranking are very high, that defense to me is mostly smoke and mirrors.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
Here's my expectations for this weekend's NFC games:

Saints @ Seahawks

Saints wont blow chunks like the last time they went up to Seattle, but I still find it hard to believe that they'll be able to travel 2x and win in the hardest place to play in the NFL. Drew Brees should have a great statistical game, but with an INT or two. The crowd noise plus a bruising running game will eventually lead to a Seattle win...

Seattle 75% winning percentage

49ers @ Panthers

All the 'experts' were gushing over Cam Newton after the 10-9 win in SF earlier this year, but really it was an awful game by both offenses. Both defenses had numerous sacks (5 by Niners, 6 by Panthers) and held up well in the run game. The one 'splash' play was a Deangelo Williams TD, when he got free along the sideline. The Niners are a much better offense than the one in week 10, but I think the Panthers will be well rested and are well coached. I see another close game, coming down to a big play or turnover in the fourth quarter. The fact that Dawson has been $$ all year bodes well for the Niners.

49ers 60% winning percentage

Possible NFCCG Contestants:

49ers @ Seahawks - 45%
Panthers @ Seahawks - 30%
Saints @ 49ers - 15%
Saints @ Panthers - 10%

I will say that with the NFC East and North eliminated, it is nice that the two best divisions in the NFC will square off for the NFC.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Nice summary. I might knock the 9ers down 5-10% points (meaning just 5% up to even) but basically agreed with the rest of it.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
No way... Panthers will scratch and bury the niners in the sand!

Dick Johnson

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1l30wpb1 said:
If it is Seahawks vs 49ers in the NFC CG,

I want to see the Seahawks sticky Richard Sherman (6'3, 195, 4.5 Forty) on Michael Crabtree (6'2, 215, 4.5 Forty). Best Corner vs Best WR, shut down that option for Kaepernick completely.

As for Boldin (6'1, 220, 4.7), they can sticky Maxwell ( 6'0, 205, 4.4) to him. He also may not look like it but he's probably the Seahawks biggest (not tallest), strongest, and fastest CB. If Boldin burns him in route-running ability, Maxwell as speed to recover. However, if Crabtree burns Maxwell in route-running, he can use that great length to make catches.

Sherman however slightly towers over Crabtree and is just as fast and lengthy plus Sherman possesses the same 10-20 yard track speed burst.

I think Sherman can shut down Crabtree, and the fact its Sherman will make Kaepernick hesitant to throw that way. Then if Crabtree is shutdown, CK will go to Boldin and I think Maxwell can shut him down or cause havoc if Kaep is forcing throws.

Leaves Davis and Gore. If Sherman and Maxwell are playing shutdown football, I would just have Thomas and Wagner mainly focus on containing Gore and Kaepernick. While Chanchellor plus the OLBs work together to take out Davis.

The key to shutting down the 49ers offense is not shutting down Gore and forcing Kaepernick to burden the load, its simply limiting their clutch splash plays while not giving them free yardage and 1st downs with penalties.

Also, I want to see Chanchellor intercept Kaepernick and watch Colin try to tackle his ass. All aboard the Kam-Trak destination Knocked the F Out.
Sherman played terribly vs Crabtree and Boldin at the Stick. Unless the ref swallows his whistle, no way can Sherman cover. Most overrated secondary in the league is the legion of illegal contact and holds. Earl Thomas is pretty solid.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Dick Johnson":zc9qruaq said:
Pandion Haliaetus":zc9qruaq said:
If it is Seahawks vs 49ers in the NFC CG,

I want to see the Seahawks sticky Richard Sherman (6'3, 195, 4.5 Forty) on Michael Crabtree (6'2, 215, 4.5 Forty). Best Corner vs Best WR, shut down that option for Kaepernick completely.

As for Boldin (6'1, 220, 4.7), they can sticky Maxwell ( 6'0, 205, 4.4) to him. He also may not look like it but he's probably the Seahawks biggest (not tallest), strongest, and fastest CB. If Boldin burns him in route-running ability, Maxwell as speed to recover. However, if Crabtree burns Maxwell in route-running, he can use that great length to make catches.

Sherman however slightly towers over Crabtree and is just as fast and lengthy plus Sherman possesses the same 10-20 yard track speed burst.

I think Sherman can shut down Crabtree, and the fact its Sherman will make Kaepernick hesitant to throw that way. Then if Crabtree is shutdown, CK will go to Boldin and I think Maxwell can shut him down or cause havoc if Kaep is forcing throws.

Leaves Davis and Gore. If Sherman and Maxwell are playing shutdown football, I would just have Thomas and Wagner mainly focus on containing Gore and Kaepernick. While Chanchellor plus the OLBs work together to take out Davis.

The key to shutting down the 49ers offense is not shutting down Gore and forcing Kaepernick to burden the load, its simply limiting their clutch splash plays while not giving them free yardage and 1st downs with penalties.

Also, I want to see Chanchellor intercept Kaepernick and watch Colin try to tackle his ass. All aboard the Kam-Trak destination Knocked the F Out.
Sherman played terribly vs Crabtree and Boldin at the Stick. Unless the ref swallows his whistle, no way can Sherman cover. Most overrated secondary in the league is the legion of illegal contact and holds. Earl Thomas is pretty solid.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=84688

chris98251

Reaction score
Hey Dick, this is your post .

If your here to discuss match ups great, if your here just to stir up shit your gone, consider this your last warning. Your post brings no facts, they are rated by performance and the majority of PROFESSIONAL opinion is they are the best group in the league.

Secondly, look up what is legal and what is illegal contact and where you can hit and initiate contact. They are playing to the letter of the rules, most DB's cannot do it mostly due to their size and strength which by all metrics by the league makes Seattle the biggest and largest secondary in the league. You have a opinion give it, if not thenfind someowhere else to troll, we have a smack shack for the crap you throw into threads. I have warned you already. One and done is the next route.

BayAreafbfan

Reaction score
This is going be the third road game in a row for SF and all three against good teams (AZ, GB and CAR) that is a tall order for any team. I have a feeling that by the time the 49ers got to the NFC Championship they might have nothing left in the tank physically.

I have a glimmer of hope that the Saints knock you guys off and the NFC championship is played at Candle stick then the Niners will have a better shot. The odds are stacked against the Saints playing in Seattle but good coached teams learn from their mistakes so I expect a closer game this time around. The Seattle offense hasn't looked good in the last month and NO did a fine job against McCoy so who knows.

Here's hopin' :mrgreen:

googoodan

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":ue2279he said:
BleedGreenNblue":ue2279he said:
really the only thing Kap has going for him is his legs. The dude is crazy fast and can elude defenders and make plays

Against.... Green Bay.

This.

against Carolina: sacked six times and threw for 91 yards.

I very seriously doubt that dominance will be repeated. But you know it'll be in Krappernick's head the first time Kraken mauls him.

googoodan

Reaction score
hawker84":2l4mkmk8 said:

Greg Olsen, Mike Tolbert, DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart (said to be back) Domenik Hixon all say hi. Oh, and so does Steve Smith since he's not out (yet).

Hmmm... 1 QB netted 91 passing yards last time we played.
And he's just as dangerous as the QB going to his second pro bowl?

niners will get more key stops, panthers D will keep them in it for a while till they tire, niners win by 10... but not till late.

Til they tire? Have you watched them play? They tend to step on necks in the second halves.
It's going to be up to CAR front 7 to keep the pressure on and get off the field after 3 downs. I just think you'll start to see them wear down in the 2nd half, giving Kap more time and when that happens, their recieving corps will have a field day against an already mediocre CAR secondary.
Sounds exactly like what Patriots fans expected.

Marvin49

Reaction score
googoodan":1kjbtsgy said:
hawker84":1kjbtsgy said:

Greg Olsen, Mike Tolbert, DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart (said to be back) Domenik Hixon all say hi. Oh, and so does Steve Smith since he's not out (yet).

niners will get more key stops, panthers D will keep them in it for a while till they tire, niners win by 10... but not till late.

Til they tire? Have you watched them play? They tend to step on necks in the second halves.
It's going to be up to CAR front 7 to keep the pressure on and get off the field after 3 downs. I just think you'll start to see them wear down in the 2nd half, giving Kap more time and when that happens, their recieving corps will have a field day against an already mediocre CAR secondary.

You sure are confident. LOL.

This is one thing that really bugs me about Panther fans so far this week. They seem to be under the impression that they faced the entire 49ers offense several weeks ago.

1) No Crabtree. Crabtree is the teams #1 WR. Picture playing with no Steve Smith. Thats what we are talking about.

2) Vernon hurt. With Crabtree out, that meant that Vernon and Boldin were the only real offensive threats on the team. When Vernon went down, only Boldin was left. Speed has never been his greatest asset, so all you had to do was bracket him and the 49ers had NOBODY who could get open. Go look at the 49ers stats this year and see how much of the 49ers total receiving yards and TDs came fro Boldin or Davis.

3) Celek Hurt. They also lost their #3 TE Celek. Initially you might say, "so, he's the #3 TE with few receptions". What you would miss in saying that is that the 49ers play TEs far more than they play WRs. Going back to Stanford, Harbaugh/Roman are in love with multi TE formations. They both pass and run from those formations. With now 2 of their 3 TEs not in the game, they resorted to playing linemen at TE for most of the game which keyed Carolina into those plays almost always being runs or passes with very few options.

4) No Patton. Patton hasn't done a ton thusfar, but he is by FAR the best #3 WR they've deployed all year. Manningham played against Carolina, but he was never really healthy. In fact, he went back on IR.

5) All those players you mentioned as if the Niner should be scared of them? Thats nothing compared to Nelson, Cobb, Jones, Lacy, and Starks who the Niners just faced and shut down in frigid Lambeau. You had all those guys last time and Cam had 169 yards and a 52.7 QB rating. That was with Aldon Smith in his first game back and playing only like 10 snaps.

Look, the Panther D is no joke. I'm not gonna sit here and say the niners should win this no problem. The Panthers are a huge problem. I got nothing but respect for that D...

...but lets not sit here and pretend that the ONE POINT victory you guys had was against the best the 49ers have to offer. There is a reason Kaps QB rating took a huge leap when Crab came back. If you are expecting to see the same offensively crippled team, you are sorely mistaken.

Exittium

Reaction score
googoodan":3ho1at3a said:
I'm not exactly overflowing with confidence for our game, but c'mon. We've stopped Gronk, Graham, Gonzo, but now Vernon Davis will be too much?

At least know what's gonna kill us: first, Crabtree and Boldin. Second, our O vs. any 3-4, especially a physical one like the 9ers'.

Especially the only real thing I notice with those two in particular is if ones "playing" the other is busy fighting somehow with whoever is defending him. Prob due to Hardouche whining so much before the game about other teams and "what they do" .. that the refs subconsciously focused a lot more on the Seahawks trying spotwhat Dbag was whining about.

Ill say this, if it is another 4whiners vs Seahawks game, the press better not go f#$%#^# interviewing the ref crew about what hardouche says.. that still rubs me raw.

hawker84

Reaction score
googoodan":2mdrfvya said:
hawker84":2mdrfvya said:

Greg Olsen, Mike Tolbert, DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart (said to be back) Domenik Hixon all say hi. Oh, and so does Steve Smith since he's not out (yet). Good Players, Not Elite. I'll take any players listed below before any players you have listed all day every day....

And he's just as dangerous as the QB going to his second pro bowl? Kap had no weapons other than Boldin. He will Sunday.

Are you seriously comparing NE's defense to SF? please tell me you are not... If your Offense can't sustain drives, your D Line will tire in the second half, I don't see CAR sustaining drives with a average offense and 60% Smith. I sure hope you're not relying on Williams and Tolbert...

You have a team with a bunch of nobodys on offense, other than Cam and Smith. Other than those two you have good solid players but not game changers. apparently smith is playing but he quoted himself at 60%, i don't care who you are at 60% you're not contributing. Guin will be creamed all game, Olsen may get a few touches but nothing big. who does that leave? Williams? Tolbert? please, neither are game changers against elite defenses..

So please tell me, how are you going to score enough to win?

How are you going to shut down all SF weapons in the 2nd half when your offense is constantly going 3 and out keeping your d on the field longer, not to mention your weak secondary. Your D line will tire if they're constantly out there.

Keep in mind you barely beat them when they had a significant amount of starters out, KEY Starters.

I stand by my statement, your d will keep you in it for a while, but in the end SF will win.

As much as i'd love to see CAR demolish the niners, i just don't see how, SF is clearly the better overall team, and it's really not close if you look at the offensive side of the ball.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawker84":37hdh2ss said:
googoodan":37hdh2ss said:
hawker84":37hdh2ss said:

You have a team with a bunch of nobodys on offense, other than Cam and Smith. Other than those two you have good solid players but not game changers. apparently smith is playing but he quoted himself at 60%, i don't care who you are at 60% you're not contributing. Guin will be creamed all game, Olsen may get a few touches but nothing big. who does that leave? Williams? Tolbert? please, neither are game changers against elite defenses..

So please tell me, how are you going to score enough to win?

How are you going to shut down all SF weapons in the 2nd half when your offense is constantly going 3 and out keeping your d on the field longer, not to mention your weak secondary. Your D line will tire if they're constantly out there.

Keep in mind you barely beat them when they had a significant amount of starters out, KEY Starters.

I stand by my statement, your d will keep you in it for a while, but in the end SF will win.

As much as i'd love to see CAR demolish the niners, i just don't see how, SF is clearly the better overall team, and it's really not close if you look at the offensive side of the ball.

What he said!! :D

Honestly though, the Panthers D is good enough to change the whole game. You just never know.

Latest posts