Votes: 104 39.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HansGruber":371avl80 said:
SoulfishHawk":371avl80 said:
They could have George Jetson as the OC and I would never stop going to games. To each his own. I don't like Bevell, but they sure have won a LOT for a team that doesn't care about winning.

They've won IN SPITE of having the worst OC in the NFL, and having the worst offense by a large margin. I don't care that they are able to put up 3 TD's in the 4th quarter of every game. That is and has always been the work of Russell Wilson improvising. You can't win consistently that way.

We've been winning on the back of an all-time great defense. But the second our defense starts playing poorly, look at what happens. We get blown out of games, because our offense is WORTHLESS. Every fan at the game around me was saying the same thing on Sunday. We're SICK of watching the offense be so terrible. You just simply can't win consistently like that. This team should have been a dynasty, but instead, we're watching mediocre football (plus a playoff win per season). Ugh.

And I call BS on you "never stop going to games". OK then. Put up the $8,000 per season that I spend on season tickets (not counting $60/game for parking and another $100/game for drinks/food), and then come talk to me about it. You don't. I know everyone in my section, have known them for years, and plenty of them were saying the same thing last Sunday. We're done throwing away money on a team that doesn't care about winning. If they did care about winning, Bevell would have been gone minutes after blaming the SB49 loss on poor execution by his players.
BINGO! Thread winner! :2thumbs:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1tha8y8w said:
Absolutely not....going to happen unless Carroll goes with him.

This whole loyalty thing so you need to include Pete is countered with the realization Pete let Sherman Smith go before the start of this preseason. Cable has been the common denominator in the discussion of the epic fail with the OLine and with collapse over the past 3 seasons of the running game. Bevell isn't helping either but I'd give Bevell a chance without Cable but the leash would be very short.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Samuel Gold did a film breakdown as he does for a lot of games and came away baffled at the play calling. He even stated that he's rarely critical of coaches because of so many unknowns. He was at a loss that we didn't do more to combat the pressure the Rams were getting. Minimal screens, shorter route concepts, the line adjustments were terrible etc. I'll say it again this offensive staff reminds me of what Jeff Fisher did for the Rams last year and I would love to see Bevell and Cable go. When you have an elite top 5 QB and the offense looks like this it's inexcusable.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cymatica

Reaction score
NINEster":spk6x4ka said:
Too much put on Bevell.

If anything, Bevell should be praised for the hard work he does. Many on here (and fanbases around the NFL) thought Harbaugh was a "genius" for managing Kaepernick, while Niner fans hated his offense and Roman. Interesting how that works out?

The OC is always the least popular guy for fans when the offense struggles. But how do you isolate him?

Andy Benoit sums up perfectly what Bevell does for the Seahawks and how Wilson is almost OC independent the way he plays:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/13/russe ... ell-bevell

For Bevell, the job is to accommodate Wilson. You can’t have plays that call for Wilson to run around snap after snap and make something happen—what do you tell your other 10 players to do there? Bevell must design plays that suit everyone else but can still work when Wilson goes sandlot.

Bevell does this by using the entire width of the field. If the Seahawks are not aligned in a spread formation, chances are, they’re aligned in an extra tight one so that there’s more room for receivers to run their routes towards the outside. That room might be needed later if Wilson breaks down the play. It’s also more important that Seattle balance the field. Instead of constructing route combinations that attack a specific coverage in one specific area, Bevell must attack all areas so that his quarterback has options when he goes this way or that way. Along these same lines, Bevell must go light on the timing and rhythm throws. Or, at the very least, the Seahawks must have contingencies for when those timing and rhythm throws occur off schedule and out of rhythm.

This style of play is inherently inconsistent—especially if your base running game is as poor as Seattle’s has been. But when Wilson makes magic from all this, you see what you saw last Sunday night: The Seahawks prospering despite their offensive line being overmatched by an explosive Eagles defensive line. When Wilson isn’t making magic, you see an offense with few staple concepts to fall back on, and you get the Seahawks offense from the first half of the Week 12 Niners game (129 net yards) or from the second half of the Week 10 Cardinals game (97 yards), second half of the Week 5 Rams game (54 yards) or either half of the Week 1 Packers game (225 yards total).

Watching the film, Wilson probably doesn’t marvel at his spectacular unstructured plays the way we all do. But you can bet opponents do. Wilson is like nothing they’ve seen before, and his style, so hard to replicate, is not something you can fully prepare for in practice. The Seahawks are inconsistent in part because their quarterback is so unique. But put a Joe Blow pocket passing QB behind that offensive line and with that running game, and you’d have an offense that could only aspire to be inconsistent. Which is why, even those of us who struggle to reconcile Wilson’s unconventional style have to admit, he belongs near the top of this year’s MVP list.

The way the Seahawks won games on offense was through a punishing ground game primarily.

If anything, it's not the OC that might matter here but the style of offense. I'm not sure what family of offense the Seahawks run, but if they went to a more Air Coryell style vertical offense with the run game pieces (RB, OL) installed, they will be a more consistent offense.

Sounds like the inconsistency has more to do with too much emphasis on the scramble drill, while gameplanning for your own qb instead of the opposing team. No wonder bad teams can hang around; their weaknesses are not attacked.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
austinslater25":3tt180k0 said:
Samuel Gold did a film breakdown as he does for a lot of games and came away baffled at the play calling. He even stated that he's rarely critical of coaches because of so many unknowns. He was at a loss that we didn't do more to combat the pressure the Rams were getting. Minimal screens, shorter route concepts, the line adjustments were terrible etc. I'll say it again this offensive staff reminds me of what Jeff Fisher did for the Rams last year and I would love to see Bevell and Cable go. When you have an elite top 5 QB and the offense looks like this it's inexcusable.

This!

Hustle_Wilson

Reaction score
jammerhawk":bnk3b6va said:
Cyrus12":bnk3b6va said:
Absolutely not....going to happen unless Carroll goes with him.

This whole loyalty thing so you need to include Pete is countered with the realization Pete let Sherman Smith go before the start of this preseason. Cable has been the common denominator in the discussion of the epic fail with the OLine and with collapse over the past 3 seasons of the running game. Bevell isn't helping either but I'd give Bevell a chance without Cable but the leash would be very short.

Sherm Smith also kept it real:

http://m.seattlepi.com/sports/seahawks/article/Seahawks-Sherman-Smith-Marshawn-Lynch-10941371.php

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Seahawks should think about hiring Pete Carmichael away from New Orleans.

The offense Carmichael and Sean Payton have constructed is phenomenal. Their rushing attack is dominant. They use ZBS and some man blocking. Carmichael is extremely analytical and is one of the game's best offensive coaching minds. He has coached Drew Brees for years, so he understands how to assist a shorter QB.

Unfortunately for Carmichael, he has been coaching under the shadow of Sean Payton, who constantly yanks play calling duties away from him. When Carmichael has taken over play calling, he has shown the ability to respond well to in-game circumstances, sticks with the running game, and maintains offensive flow.

This would be an opportunity for Carmichael to completely take the reins of an offense and build it in his own image. If he ever wants to be taken seriously as a head coaching candidate, Seattle is the place to do it. Seahawks fans will be grateful for any play caller who is not Bevell. Plus, Brees is a lot older than Russell. How many good years does he have left?

IrishNW

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2qiqprv9 said:

The offense Carmichael and Sean Payton have constructed is phenomenal. Their rushing attack is dominant. They use ZBS and some man blocking. Carmichael is extremely analytical and is one of the game's best offensive coaching minds. He has coached Drew Brees for years, so he understands how to assist a shorter QB.

Unfortunately for Carmichael, he has been coaching under the shadow of Sean Payton, who constantly yanks play calling duties away from him. When Carmichael has taken over play calling, he has shown the ability to respond well to in-game circumstances, sticks with the running game, and maintains offensive flow.

This would be an opportunity for Carmichael to completely take the reins of an offense and build it in his own image. If he ever wants to be taken seriously as a head coaching candidate, Seattle is the place to do it. Seahawks fans will be grateful for any play caller who is not Bevell. Plus, Brees is a lot older than Russell. How many good years does he have left?

this sounds exciting but would Pete ever concede full offensive control over to anyone?

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2017":3km7cvnh said:

Sounds very intriguing. I would be for this.

Subzero717

Reaction score
As far as Carmichael goes I guess the first question I have is why is he still there? Why hasn't anyone else hired him?

The other issue is, technically he wouldn't be promoted and is probably under contract. The move would be lateral so it goes beyond things I know about but I think its easier said then done.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Subzero717":2d6qzbd5 said:
As far as Carmichael goes I guess the first question I have is why is he still there? Why hasn't anyone else hired him?

The other issue is, technically he wouldn't be promoted and is probably under contract. The move would be lateral so it goes beyond things I know about but I think its easier said then done.

Carmichael is getting some head coaching consideration for the NY job, but his lack of head coaching experience and being under the shadow of Sean Payton will prevent that from happening. He's had a few interviews for head coach positions. Paul Allen would need to make it lucrative for him to take the same position in Seattle. Plus, he would get to actually call his own plays and receive the credit he deserves. The fact that he has interviewed for head coaching positions I think shows he has some ambition to move beyond being merely Sean Payton's play designer and occasional play calling substitute.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Bevell and Cable have interviewed for head coaching gigs too.

Carmichael has been there a long time with tons of success on the offensive side. I'm just thinking there may be something to it. Not sure he'd leave NO in a lateral move. NO may probably wouldn't let him.

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Subzero717":1mzw4pzt said:

Carmichael has been there a long time with tons of success on the offensive side. I'm just thinking there may be something to it. Not sure he'd leave NO in a lateral move. NO may probably wouldn't let him.

It's not considered lateral if he is offered an Assistant Head Coach/OC role.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
austinslater25":1cq803h9 said:

Same with the Jaguars game. Same with the Tampa game last year. Letdowns following a brilliant offensive performance (Eagles, Patriots) in which Seattle suddenly forgets about protecting Wilson with the play-calling and lets him hang out there looking for the 40-yard shot to Baldwin because Pete wants to get a psychological blow in.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Give Bev complete autonomy over both the pass and run game and we’ll be set. Shackling him to Cable’s run game is a hindrance. Also, make him assistant head coach.

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3p4ao8x7 said:
Give Bev complete autonomy over both the pass and run game and we’ll be set. Shackling him to Cable’s run game is a hindrance. Also, make him assistant head coach.

Hahahahaha.

Good one, Sioux.

Subzero717

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2nxypurj said:
Subzero717":2nxypurj said:

It's not considered lateral if he is offered an Assistant Head Coach/OC role.
Your boy Cable is already the AHC.

Atradees

Reaction score
i will give bevell the same 5 bucks I offered Holmgren to leave town when his reputation surpassed his skills. i will say there needs to be a new mindset at wide out, TE and RB in regards to personnel. Big Nasty Explosive can block.....These tiny receivers and finesse TE's are lame and part of the larger problem. We need to go back to the basics and it starts with the draft and building a strong foundation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts