• Yes, but wait until after the season

Votes: 104 39.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
SeahawksCanuck":8rxsy3i4 said:
Honestly I don't know if he's the problem or not, but I'm kind of at the point where I'd just like to try something different. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't, but the offense has been inconsistent for a long time now while on paper looking like it has a pretty strong group. Given we probably can't count on such a dominant defense to cover for subar offensive outings going forward, I'd like to give someone else a shot and see what they can do.

Voted for making a change at the end of the season.
Of the three coordinators I think he might be the most hated but at this point I think Cable and Richard have to go first.

Richard -One of the highest paid Defenses in the league getting tourched multiple weeks this year

Cable - run game and OL are all on him. How much have we invested in the OL now? Spent high picks or had these high picks on his teams and couldn't get an OL to gel for back to back years. Okung, Carpenter, Britt, Ifedi, Pocic, Brown (trade).

Bevell - The Call may have been Bevell's fault but honestly I don't hold that against him, the execution was poor. Wilson, Kearse, and Locket all failed. Bevell has helped build an offense around the shortest starting QB in the NFL, has one of the shortest WR group in the NFL, and has almost no run game or pass blocking for the last two years. I think we all want a scape goat but of our coordinators Bevell has shown more bright spots than the others.

I would be fine cleaning house of all three coordinators at this point. Pete has to hold somebody accountable and if he doesnt can a coach soon he is going to lose this team. Oh wait I think he might already be too late. Always next year, why not get an early start.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2w3se4kh said:
Ambrose83":2w3se4kh said:
Siouxhawk":2w3se4kh said:
As JimmyG said, there were a multitude of problems in the Rams loss and laying it all at the feet of Bevell is just lazy analysis. It's rudimentary scapegoating in all its grasping-for-straws glory.

Bevell designs a solid gameplan and makes intuitive callls when given complete freedom to do so. But that rarely happens.

I'd like to see Pete take the training wheels off the offense and let Bevell go wild. It would be a cataclysmic shift in philosophy, but I think the time is here to build around Russell as he enters the prime of his career.

How can you take yourself seriously... the level of homer denial you post with is simply astounding. Truly is.
Why do you say denial? About every macro stat backs my stance up. For starters, Bev owns the best winning % for an OC in Hawks history.

Lmao our defense owns that... he benefited from.it.. end of story.. do you watch the games? Our offense is predictable .. we see it, the opposing fans see it, the media sees it... and.. somehow YOU dont... where are the intermediate routes? Quick passes to get into manageable third downs ? How about the read option or screens to mitigate the pressure and blitz)? The offense is stupid bubble screen or long developing pass plays with hs route concepts with a line that can't block. Genius stuff

adeltaY

Reaction score
Win percentage is a TERRIBLE stat to use to evaluate an OC. Wins are a combination of offense, defense and ST, plus a healthy amount of luck and situational oddities. Use them to evaluate the HC, sure, but the OC of a defensive team? Disingenuous or dare I say, lazy analysis.

Look at the McVay, Shanahan (now that the Savior is playing), Andy Reid, Doug Pederson, Pat Shurmur, etc. offenses. Some of these guys are starting backup QBs, limited QBs like Smith, or guys who have barely played, like the Savior. Their offenses are so much more creative than ours it's not even close. They use misdirection, motions, and get their players open in space by stressing weak points in the opponents' defensive schemes.

Someone on the first page said that he doesn't have anything against Bev, he just wants to see something new because what we have isn't working. I agree with that at this point.

NINEster

Reaction score
Too much put on Bevell.

If anything, Bevell should be praised for the hard work he does. Many on here (and fanbases around the NFL) thought Harbaugh was a "genius" for managing Kaepernick, while Niner fans hated his offense and Roman. Interesting how that works out?

The OC is always the least popular guy for fans when the offense struggles. But how do you isolate him?

Andy Benoit sums up perfectly what Bevell does for the Seahawks and how Wilson is almost OC independent the way he plays:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/13/russe ... ell-bevell

For Bevell, the job is to accommodate Wilson. You can’t have plays that call for Wilson to run around snap after snap and make something happen—what do you tell your other 10 players to do there? Bevell must design plays that suit everyone else but can still work when Wilson goes sandlot.

Bevell does this by using the entire width of the field. If the Seahawks are not aligned in a spread formation, chances are, they’re aligned in an extra tight one so that there’s more room for receivers to run their routes towards the outside. That room might be needed later if Wilson breaks down the play. It’s also more important that Seattle balance the field. Instead of constructing route combinations that attack a specific coverage in one specific area, Bevell must attack all areas so that his quarterback has options when he goes this way or that way. Along these same lines, Bevell must go light on the timing and rhythm throws. Or, at the very least, the Seahawks must have contingencies for when those timing and rhythm throws occur off schedule and out of rhythm.

This style of play is inherently inconsistent—especially if your base running game is as poor as Seattle’s has been. But when Wilson makes magic from all this, you see what you saw last Sunday night: The Seahawks prospering despite their offensive line being overmatched by an explosive Eagles defensive line. When Wilson isn’t making magic, you see an offense with few staple concepts to fall back on, and you get the Seahawks offense from the first half of the Week 12 Niners game (129 net yards) or from the second half of the Week 10 Cardinals game (97 yards), second half of the Week 5 Rams game (54 yards) or either half of the Week 1 Packers game (225 yards total).

Watching the film, Wilson probably doesn’t marvel at his spectacular unstructured plays the way we all do. But you can bet opponents do. Wilson is like nothing they’ve seen before, and his style, so hard to replicate, is not something you can fully prepare for in practice. The Seahawks are inconsistent in part because their quarterback is so unique. But put a Joe Blow pocket passing QB behind that offensive line and with that running game, and you’d have an offense that could only aspire to be inconsistent. Which is why, even those of us who struggle to reconcile Wilson’s unconventional style have to admit, he belongs near the top of this year’s MVP list.

The way the Seahawks won games on offense was through a punishing ground game primarily.

If anything, it's not the OC that might matter here but the style of offense. I'm not sure what family of offense the Seahawks run, but if they went to a more Air Coryell style vertical offense with the run game pieces (RB, OL) installed, they will be a more consistent offense.

original poster

Reaction score
adeltaY":12l50hh8 said:
Someone on the first page said that he doesn't have anything against Bev, he just wants to see something new because what we have isn't working. I agree with that at this point.

Could not agree with this more.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Why wasn't "Immediately following Super Bowl XLIX" an option?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Ambrose83":3hd0luwz said:
Siouxhawk":3hd0luwz said:
Ambrose83":3hd0luwz said:
Siouxhawk":3hd0luwz said:
As JimmyG said, there were a multitude of problems in the Rams loss and laying it all at the feet of Bevell is just lazy analysis. It's rudimentary scapegoating in all its grasping-for-straws glory.

Bevell designs a solid gameplan and makes intuitive callls when given complete freedom to do so. But that rarely happens.

I'd like to see Pete take the training wheels off the offense and let Bevell go wild. It would be a cataclysmic shift in philosophy, but I think the time is here to build around Russell as he enters the prime of his career.

How can you take yourself seriously... the level of homer denial you post with is simply astounding. Truly is.
Why do you say denial? About every macro stat backs my stance up. For starters, Bev owns the best winning % for an OC in Hawks history.

Lmao our defense owns that... he benefited from.it.. end of story.. do you watch the games? Our offense is predictable .. we see it, the opposing fans see it, the media sees it... and.. somehow YOU dont... where are the intermediate routes? Quick passes to get into manageable third downs ? How about the read option or screens to mitigate the pressure and blitz)? The offense is stupid bubble screen or long developing pass plays with hs route concepts with a line that can't block. Genius stuff
Typical stock answer in an easy solution to ball up all your frustration about a season that’s still not complete and lay it at the feet of one individual. But it misses the mark on so many levels. For starters, you have no idea what was built into the plays and whether they were carried out as they were intended. Also, his gameplans by and large have been successful, or we wouldn’t have been close to being the top NFC team the past 6 seasons.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":30z2w432 said:
Ambrose83":30z2w432 said:
Siouxhawk":30z2w432 said:

Yup and Blair Walsh had best debut season by a kicker in NFL history, setting League record with 10 FGs of 50+ in a season and 3 of 50+ in a game, matching Vikings record for longest FG with a 56-yarder and setting team record with 53 touchbacks on kickoffs.

Your argument is that invalid.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":2ith8zb4 said:
Siouxhawk":2ith8zb4 said:
Ambrose83":2ith8zb4 said:
Siouxhawk":2ith8zb4 said:

Yup and Blair Walsh had best debut season by a kicker in NFL history, setting League record with 10 FGs of 50+ in a season and 3 of 50+ in a game, matching Vikings record for longest FG with a 56-yarder and setting team record with 53 touchbacks on kickoffs.

Again, lazy analysis. Walsh did that in 1 season; Bev’s taken the blueprints from what Pete desires and has glued together and fortified an offense that’s highly achieved the past 7 seasons.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":e5farjgh said:
Sox-n-Hawks":e5farjgh said:
Siouxhawk":e5farjgh said:
Ambrose83":e5farjgh said:

Again, lazy analysis. Walsh did that in 1 season; Bev’s taken the blueprints from what Pete desires and has glued together and fortified an offense that’s highly achieved the past 7 seasons.

2015 Field Goal Leader NFL wide. Blah your arguement is invalid. When he hits Josh Mcdaniels status, I'll believe you. Until then, him and Cable are the hold up.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
mistaowen":31xmcghq said:
Hasselbeck":31xmcghq said:
original poster":31xmcghq said:
Hasselbeck":31xmcghq said:
Oh we’re blaming Bevell now for a 42-7 loss, good to see.

Almost like a lot of fans refused to acknowledge how beat to hell this roster was and they finally found a coach and a team ready to exploit all these weaknesses that have been there since losing 4 Pro Bowlers with a 5th guy seriously hobbled.

I think the team needs an overhaul, but lol at blaming yesterday on Bevell

I'm struggling to see how you can't blame Bevell in honesty. Could you elaborate please?

We would have been dismembered yesterday with Josh McDaniels or Kyle Shanahan dialing up plays. They gave up 4 touchdowns to one man and one of those came on a 3rd and 20 when the Rams were satisfied to be up 27-0 heading into half. But yep, totally all on Bevell..

Context of the game. Defense held the Rams to two field goals and Hawks offense did absolutely nothing to respond. Then the huge punt return got them the ball at the 1 (after another awful offensive series). Defense certainly gave up some big plays but Russell at one time had 24 pass attempts for 25 yards, a lot of them on playcalls that had basically all 3 WR running straight down the field. Looking for the big play instead of consistently moving the ball and keeping a depleted defense off the field was absolutely a problem yesterday. Everyone knew they couldn't rely on the defense and offense needed to show an ounce of life and went into half time with 0 points. Game was over already.

This isn't some fluke. The offense SUCKS for 2/3 of every game this year outside of Texans and maybe Eagles.

This is the problem with some people on this board always wanting to blame the D for why we lost because they should be expected to not let the other team score every single drive.

Lets just look at it closer.

First drive starts at the 16 because Lockett REFUSES to take a freaking knee in the endzone and kills us 9 times out of 10 by losing yards on a return. We run 3 plays resulting in a fumble and Rams start their first drive at the SEA 40. Defense lets them run 5 plays and ultimately holds them to a FG

Second drive starts at SEA 25. Somehow we end up PUNTING at the SEA 15!!!! after going 3 and out and the punt Rams start at the 50. Defense holds them AGAIN in 7 plays to a FG and we can still go ahead with just one TD.

Third drive starts at the 20 because once again Lockett returns it short of the 25. We end up punting AGAIN losing 10 yards in 3 plays and Rams take over at the SEA 1 and run it once for a TD making it 13-0.

So first 3 rams drives started at SEA 40, 50, SEA 1 and people want to blame the D??? ARE YOU SERIOUS. OFFENSE has 9 plays to start the game for a whopping 7 yards including a fumble with what is essentialy 3, 3 and outs.

Even then its still 13-0 and 4th drive ONCE AGAIN Lockett returns it short of the 25 and we get it at the SEA 18. 7 Plays later we end up punting at the 50. Rams get ball at 20 and the defense ends up getting an INT to prevent any points.

5th drive get the ball at the SEA 15 and once again lose yards and punt at SEA 8 losing 7 yards on the drive, PUNT, and Rams start at SEA 36.

6th drive offense fumbles the ball and loses 1 yard, setting up the Rams at SEA 39.

So in 6 drives....our offense went 3 and out 4 times(one being a fumble), a fumble in 2 plays, and one other time punting at the 50. 21 plays, 6 drives, with 2 turnovers and only 23 yards. ARE YOU SERIOUS.

Meanwhile because of our horrendous ST and Offense play Rams started at SEA 40, 50, SEA 1, LA 20, SEA 36, SEA 39. So basically 4 times the Rams started in FG range with one of those being in TD range.

StoneCold

Reaction score
hawknation2017":27z18sfp said:
I hear Bevell likes long routes.

This. I'm no football expert, but when I see Goff repeatedly dump off for 5 or 6 yards a pop, and it seems Russell never has that option. Maybe that's on Russ, but it sure seems that as soon as Russ is in trouble and looks for an option, they are all 20 yards down the field and often running side by side.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Andy_Benoit/status/943178904033902592[/tweet]

This seems to be an issue every time Wilson starts to struggle. Tampa '16, 'Skins/Jags this year...same deal. Teams have figured out that the way to stop Wilson is to play Cover 4 man against our smaller WR's and wait for the front four to get to Wilson. They're not even worried about him rushing. They've realized that it doesn't do enough damage.

I've said a lot that the Seahawks seem to have two playbooks. When they run this one, the offense comes to a crashing halt. When they run the other one, like against the Eagles, Wilson comes alive.

So it's Pete, not Bevell. Pete knows what works. He just won't do it because MAH TURNOVERZ or MAH GAME CLOK or whatever he's worried about.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
StoneCold":29zoiv3g said:
hawknation2017":29zoiv3g said:
I hear Bevell likes long routes.

This. I'm no football expert, but when I see Goff repeatedly dump off for 5 or 6 yards a pop, and it seems Russell never has that option. Maybe that's on Russ, but it sure seems that as soon as Russ is in trouble and looks for an option, they are all 20 yards down the field and often running side by side.

This is what guys like Sioux are completely missing. I and many others here actually pay attention to the actual plays called and see how abysmally bad there are, especially for the situation they are called in. 3rd and 1 and Bev calls three go routes. C'mon man. Looking at win loss record to judge an OC is ignorant. If you want to truly know if an OC is worth his salt, look at the playcalling in the first quarter. This is where the OC comes in with a scripted strategy based on film study, research and player availability. As we all know, we are at or near the worst in the league here.

Anyone who defends Bevell is flat out not paying attention to the details.

HansGruber

Reaction score
If Bevell is still OC next season, I won't buy tickets or go to games. Shouldn't have bought tickets this year. The Eagles game was fun but the rest of the season has been garbage and I'm done supporting it.

If the Seahawks don't make a major change this offseason, then we officially don't care about winning. It would be a shame watching this team waste Russell Wilson's talent like that.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They could have George Jetson as the OC and I would never stop going to games. To each his own. I don't like Bevell, but they sure have won a LOT for a team that doesn't care about winning. Thru thick and thin...

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2o6vkl3t said:
They could have George Jetson as the OC and I would never stop going to games. To each his own. I don't like Bevell, but they sure have won a LOT for a team that doesn't care about winning.

Even if Astro peed on your leg every game? :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts