Pick #64, 2nd Round: OT Justin Britt, Missouri

razgriz737

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":2idfrk2u said:
10250208_627297724015045_4428779503591189542_n.jpg
Cut him.

vonstout

Reaction score
There were a lot of mocks had us taking Moses and even Yankey early on. Would you have preferred we take Yankey instead of Britt because the draft bozos said we should? Yankey went in the 5th round. We have had less than stellar performances with our first round picks, but I'm more than happy with the overall results. All the draft experts were drooling over the Niners draft. I'm almost happy when they don't like our picks. Ifound it interesting that several said that they won't criticize our front office anymore. Their success speaks for itself. They also said that we draft looking a year or more ahead. They obviously think Britt has a chance to start. let's hope they are right.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
To me Britt looks like a hybrid of Breno Giacomini and Kyle Turley (if some of you henry wrinklers can remember him).

I don't think he'll ever be star tackle within league circles but I think he can give you a consistent presence with 200% effort and play with a tough and nasty demeanor that gets under defensive linemens skins.

Meeker

Reaction score
plyka":3oxrny4g said:
Just not a good player from what i've seen. Then we get to Richardson...eehhmmm, meh...basically hear sounds coming out of my mouth that make you think this guy is underwhelmed. The Hawks had one GLARING weakness at a position where talent is so obvious that it's hard to draft high value players deep ---that's a red zone threat (weakness) at the WR position. They needed that Josh Gordon ---the guy with size and athletic ability to put the fear of death into defenders. They did not get that guy, even though at least 5 WRs that fit the bill were available. Why not Brandon Colman (my fav), or Martavius Bryant (2nd best) or Moncrief or Robinson, or i can name many more. Instead a 5'2 midget that may get tackled if its a stormy day at the CLINK and a strong breeze works its way through the stadium. Just a horrible draft so far, but i'm not surprised.

Have we not learned yet? PC/JS are HORRIBLE with early round picks. If they get top half of the 1st round, they are pretty good --but once they get late 1st- early 3rd, they are just not that good. They pick players that can be had in the 5th round. But then they save themselves with the later rounds --great picks here. Which begs the question, why not trade away your first entirely for 4 draft picks from the 3rd-6th rounds?

This post just gets better. Criticizes PC/JS for picking players who supposedly would have been available in the 5th or later over his "fav" who we could have gotten with any pick because he ended up going undrafted :lol:

kearly

Reaction score
Every Seahawk should wear Kaepernicking T-Shirts and kiss their biceps all the time. Not that we need to be any more in Kaepernick's head or anything.

I thought the comment about there being another "target" OL previously taken was interesting. There were four other lineman it could have been:

Su'a Filo, Bitonio, Kouandjio, and Mewhort.

Rob12

Reaction score
Meeker":2ypwcfky said:
plyka":2ypwcfky said:
Just not a good player from what i've seen. Then we get to Richardson...eehhmmm, meh...basically hear sounds coming out of my mouth that make you think this guy is underwhelmed. The Hawks had one GLARING weakness at a position where talent is so obvious that it's hard to draft high value players deep ---that's a red zone threat (weakness) at the WR position. They needed that Josh Gordon ---the guy with size and athletic ability to put the fear of death into defenders. They did not get that guy, even though at least 5 WRs that fit the bill were available. Why not Brandon Colman (my fav), or Martavius Bryant (2nd best) or Moncrief or Robinson, or i can name many more. Instead a 5'2 midget that may get tackled if its a stormy day at the CLINK and a strong breeze works its way through the stadium. Just a horrible draft so far, but i'm not surprised.

Have we not learned yet? PC/JS are HORRIBLE with early round picks. If they get top half of the 1st round, they are pretty good --but once they get late 1st- early 3rd, they are just not that good. They pick players that can be had in the 5th round. But then they save themselves with the later rounds --great picks here. Which begs the question, why not trade away your first entirely for 4 draft picks from the 3rd-6th rounds?

This post just gets better. Criticizes PC/JS for picking players who supposedly would have been available in the 5th or later over his "fav" who we could have gotten with any pick because he ended up going undrafted :lol:

Yeah, uh, dude looks pretty bad right about now. I'd probably not peek back in here if I were him because he got destroyed.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Wow, the homerism is strong in this draft. Apparently anyone who dislikes a pick is a HATER. Can't we have a discussion about a player without people getting upset when someone else doesn't LOVE every single player that John and Pete choose?

It's as if people think that every player picked is going to make the team if and only if they defend that pick. Some of these guys are going to suck, and just like some posters recognized greatness early on in Russell Wilson, some will recognize mediocrity in a player early on in a player.

The other argument that I hear is "we won the Superbowl last year, or did you forget?" As if that means the front office is now infallible. What happens if we don't make the playoffs this year? Or have people already determined that we have a dynasty?

The Front office has blown it on a lot of picks, all through the process, at every round. Where's our "Anquan Boldin" that everyone was so jazzed about last year and that everyone was quoting Kiper about? If one of those "pundits" has something good to say about our draft pick they get quoted. I see tweets from people that nobody has heard of being quoted yet Mayock is dumb?

Let's be reasonable here. A lot of these guys may not make the team, some will be injury prone, some just will not be football players. And some of the "naysayers" and "haters" on here will be correct. It does no one any good to call them names if they disagree about about a choice.

So let them speak their piece, and try not to get upset about it. Because when you do, it's obvious to everyone here by the lack of discussion in your post. Negativity and hyperbole are evidence of one thing, an inability to respond in a thoughtful way.

This is a discussion forum. Let's discuss the draft, both the pros and the cons of it. Not JUST the Pros. That is unless YOU can guarantee the rest of us that all of these players will be starters for The Seahawks and that they will win us the 2015 Superbowl. Then by all means I'd be on board with trashing the naysayers.

Carry on :D

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
BlueThunder":3tqucgy2 said:
Ya know, with Pete and John, I just assume that they see something in a player that other people don't see. They look at some skill or other intangible that their draft picks have and then "Coach 'em up". I think that's the main advantage that our organization has... Look for this or that that Pete and John see, and then hit 'em hard with targeted coaching, targeting their perceived weakness, then concentrate on strengthening that weakness and turning them into a very good or elite player. At least that's the way it has seemed to have gone with our other passed-over draft picks and ignored free agents so far. Anyone else agree with that assessment?

I would think they probably coach up their SCOUT core just as much as they coach up their team. This way they are both thinking on the same concepts of what type of player they want. Some of the flashy players that are seen by ESPN or other sporting shows do not fit what is coached into our SCOUTING core. Easy to see how our coaches work up players from that realm. Go Hawks.

hawk45

Reaction score
Pete and John regime has ridiculous benefit of the doubt with respect to drafting obviously.

Except at OL, to this point. We did get some solid play out of late round guys, but we have yet to see them get value out of an O lineman in the early rounds.

They're too awesome to stay cold forever, even at this position, but this is the one spot where I don't automatically assume they'll hit it out of the park. I blame Cable for that although I can't prove it in court.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
We need Britt to hit more than anyone in this draft. A swing tackle allows Bailey to be depth at guard, and provides competition for Bowie at RT. I like his size, and he really does play a lot like Breno where he sticks to guy until the whistle. Hopefully getting out of the two-point stance every down will help his run blocking as well.

General Manager

Reaction score
He handled Clowney he's 6'6 325 and versatile. He could be just as good if not better than Bitonio.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Apparently his game against South Carolina and Clowney in 2013 was one of the best in his college career. He's known for having a little bit of a mean streak and has decent size. I'm hopeful he will compete and earn a spot.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Interesting game plan by Mizzou on that one. Clowney seemed low effort most of the game when they were down 14 but then picked it up towards the end.

#81, I imagine a TE for Mizzou pushed Clowney backwards at least twice that I saw. But as to the Missouri game plan, they let Clowney through untouched a lot and just ran away from him. Britt had him one on one a few times but I didn't see any real effort from Jadeveon. There were quite a few chips, double teams and some triple teams on Clowney when they wanted to run his way.

Dude cannot tackle, makes me wonder if the #1 overall pick might not struggle when he gets to the NFL. I heard someone on NFLN "Do you think Clowney will get 12 plus sacks as a rookie?"

If he does, it will be because JJ Watt chased them to him. Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about. When I watch him I don't see a football player. I see a unique athlete that struggles to change direction. Don't even block him, just let him come through the line unblocked and run away from the guy.

Of course that won't work with Watt and Brian Cushing on the other side.

Britt looks okay, but I just can't see what Tom Cable sees in the guy that has him so excited. Hope he pans out because the only pick they've called that has worked out is Sweezey. Even Alex Gibbs guy, Russell Okung has struggled, but that's more bad luck than anything else.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I wonder how many more chances Cable will get if Britt doesn't work out? I've held off on judging him because we've been pretty unfortunate with injuries, but I'm expecting much better things this year as he's had a chance to build up some depth.

I'm not crazy about Britt, or at least, his tape at LT. For all his athletic ability he seems slow to adjust and change direction when facing more agile opponents. I imagine Cliff and Bruce giving him fits in TC. I'm glad Cable said he liked Britt because of his tape at RT.

And so many guys shut down Clowney this season, or rather, Clowney shut down himself. Double-teams gave him an excuse to coast his way to the NFL injury-free, and he took it.

Latest posts