Marshawn Lynch unhappy with his contract?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Scottemojo":21n140cz said:
Hawknballs":21n140cz said:
Scottemojo":21n140cz said:
Sanders: "It's on your back. They feel like if they can stop you they can stop this team."

Bee Moe "They going to have stop all of us, you feel me? I'm at peace to it, but we got some dawgs."

This is not a holdout player. Hell, the Hawks would have to be crazy to give a new payday to a guy who talked retirement after the Bowl anyway.

Lynch is about that action, boss. Last year, when the RBs were doing their thing in TC, Lynch was doing hand fight drills with the O-line. Until there are pads on, I suspect Lynch doesn't care to waste his time dancing around in shorts with no hitting.

he's not a player that will hold out because he did an impromptu interview with primetime?

okay. sure whatever.

Has he ever held out before? Has he even said a public word about wanting more money?

Until the pads go on, I don't care.

I'm right there with you on that but the fact remains that he's essentially on a 1 year deal for 5M. Chances are he'd like a new contract as opposed to being totally fine making his 5M this year and then being released or asked to take a pay cut. He's never been in a position before where a hold-out would benefit him.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3vdob2vp said:
Scottemojo":3vdob2vp said:
Hawknballs":3vdob2vp said:
Scottemojo":3vdob2vp said:
Sanders: "It's on your back. They feel like if they can stop you they can stop this team."

Bee Moe "They going to have stop all of us, you feel me? I'm at peace to it, but we got some dawgs."

This is not a holdout player. Hell, the Hawks would have to be crazy to give a new payday to a guy who talked retirement after the Bowl anyway.

Lynch is about that action, boss. Last year, when the RBs were doing their thing in TC, Lynch was doing hand fight drills with the O-line. Until there are pads on, I suspect Lynch doesn't care to waste his time dancing around in shorts with no hitting.

he's not a player that will hold out because he did an impromptu interview with primetime?

okay. sure whatever.

Has he ever held out before? Has he even said a public word about wanting more money?

I'm right there with you on that but the fact remains that he's essentially on a 1 year deal for 5M. Chances are he'd like a new contract as opposed to being totally fine making his 5M this year and then being released or asked to take a pay cut. He's never been in a position before where a hold-out would benefit him.

If they can rework his contract to give him a signing bonus and less of a cap hit next year, this could benefit both Marshawn personally and the team going forward.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2014":ijcsk9mp said:
If they can rework his contract to give him a signing bonus and less of a cap hit next year, this could benefit both Marshawn personally and the team going forward.

I honestly don't think Pete and John are interested whatsoever in doing this.

Marshawn got a big front loaded extension two years ago, and now he's expected to play it out. Period. Dude's been a warrior for this team, no doubt about that. But he has ZERO leverage to demand anything, especially considering this team has bent over backwards to let Marshawn be Marshawn.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hawknballs":276gdgz2 said:
Scottemojo":276gdgz2 said:
Hawknballs":276gdgz2 said:
Scottemojo":276gdgz2 said:

okay. sure whatever.

So he didn't know those things when he signed his original deal? Also, he played out his first contract with no holdout, correct?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":36rsgdxi said:
hawknation2014":36rsgdxi said:

Marshawn got a big front loaded extension two years ago, and now he's expected to play it out. Period. Dude's been a warrior for this team, no doubt about that. But he has ZERO leverage to demand anything, especially considering this team has bent over backwards to let Marshawn be Marshawn.

They have no interest in helping their own cap situation? They can add years to his deal to ensure he's here for 2-3 more years at a reasonable cost while guaranteeing him a little more up front and at least two more years on the roster.

It's in their best interest to drop his cap number next year. They can either do that now or they can cut and re-sign him next year, and the latter approach would carry its own risks.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":eb9rbytu said:
hawknation2014":eb9rbytu said:

As people have already mentioned, it's unlikely Marshawn will play out the contract because of the $2 million bonus he is owed next season in addition to his $5.5 million base salary. The Seahawks are likely to cut him if he does not restructure after this season. I can understand why the player would prefer to have that restructure happen now, rather than play out the season with no security over next year's contract.

If they can agree on a fair restructure that lowers next season's cap burden, then that gives both parties more security. Marshawn gets the security of knowing where he will be playing football next season. And the Seahawks get the security of knowing their star running back will be returning in 2015. When he signed this deal that included the final year bonus, no one could have expected that Lynch would become arguably the best running back in the league, with one of the highest tackle breaking rates for two years, and help carry this team to a Super Bowl.

I want Marshawn to be playing free this year, to continue his physical style of play without injury concerns that would derail his precarious 2015 contract situation. Let Marshawn be Marshawn. A fair restructure is in everyone's best interest.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DavidSeven":g1nqflh9 said:
Sgt. Largent":g1nqflh9 said:
hawknation2014":g1nqflh9 said:

They have no interest in helping their own cap situation? They can add years to his deal to ensure he's here for 2-3 more years at a reasonable cost while guaranteeing him a little more up front and at least two more years on the roster.

It's in their best interest to drop his cap number next year. They can either do that now or they can cut and re-sign him next year, and the latter approach would carry its own risks.

If we didn't have C-Mike I'd agree with you, but it's pretty evident that he's the back of the future. So it makes zero sense to tie up future cap dollars to Lynch to placate him. Which is what this boils down to for Pete and John. They ALREADY have Marshawn for two more years if they want him (at a great price)...........so the only reason to extend is to save a little cap space by extending a player they may or may not want after next year?

That's WHY you front load contracts as an organization.........for future cap relief and so you hold all the chips at the end of the deal.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The 2 million dollar bonus for next year is a per game roster bonus, not a spring roster bonus. It is an important difference.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":r5dv6lh6 said:
DavidSeven":r5dv6lh6 said:
Sgt. Largent":r5dv6lh6 said:
hawknation2014":r5dv6lh6 said:

If we didn't have C-Mike I'd agree with you, but it's pretty evident that he's the back of the future. So it makes zero sense to tie up future cap dollars to Lynch to placate him. Which is what this boils down to for Pete and John. They ALREADY have Marshawn for two more years if they want him (at a great price)...........so the only reason to extend is to save a little cap space by extending a player they may or may not want after next year?

That's WHY you front load contracts as an organization.........for future cap relief and so you hold all the chips at the end of the deal.

Although Christine has broken tackles against backups and third stringers in practice and in the preseason, there is little to no guarantee he will become the elite player Marshawn has been over the last two seasons.

I would prefer the security of knowing Marshawn had a fair deal through 2015, with 2016 still being essentially a team option. That eliminates uncertainty for everyone and allows Marshawn to continue playing with reckless abandon.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'm as intrigued by Michael as the next guy, but to crown him the RBOTF before he's ever played a meaningful snap seems like a bit much. Truthfully, even if he turns into an elite player, I'm not convinced he could give Seattle exactly what it wants at that position. Even with his Reggie Bushes and Christine Michaels, Pete still needs his Lendale Whites and Marshawn Lynches.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
The thing with Cmike though, if Lynch comes back for 2-3 years, Cmike's contract will be up in 3 years. Does he still want to play here if he's been 2nd fiddle to Lynch the whole time? What happens if he walks and Lynch's new deal is over or Lynch falls off? Then we have nothing. While I expect that JS would take care of this prior to that happening, it's still not good for a team that "want's to run the ball down their freaking throat".

HawkWow

Reaction score
Another thing Marshawn and his team (the other one) should consider is this year will likely be the easiest running he's ever known as a Hawk. With Rich taking the top off the D, Harvin creating havoc underneath AND an even better RW at the helm, sledding should be quite a bit easier for our favorite back. And with his reps slightly reduced, he will remain fresher, likely getting the same amount of yards, on less carries, while possibly extending his career in the process.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DavidSeven":dzxtl3sy said:
I'm as intrigued by Michael as the next guy, but to crown him the RBOTF before he's ever played a meaningful snap seems like a bit much. Truthfully, even if he turns into an elite player, I'm not convinced he could give Seattle exactly what it wants at that position. Even with his Reggie Bushes and Christine Michaels, Pete still needs his Lendale Whites and Marshawn Lynches.

Truthfully I think C-Mike might even give us more at the position, at least as far as explosiveness through the hole. Cable's zone blocking scheme is all about getting to the designated cutback lane and hitting the 2nd level.

Of course it's a gamble, and of course I'd rather have Lynch for at least one more year. But that's more for the toughness and nastiness he brings to the offense, rather than his talent at 28.

Bottom line for me, Lynch is a top 5 back, and he's getting paid like one. So I see no reason to do anything. Locking him up til age 31 or 32 is a risk we don't need to take.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Michael was drafted because he's a one cut back that gets to the hole like pronto. He also has enough speed to get to the outside and that is an element we've lacked with our #1. I wouldn't be stunned to learn the FO planned on letting Lynch go in 14, had Michael contributed significantly in '13. Doing so could have kept Red around.

But his Michael's miniscule playing time suggests his positives were out weighed by his negatives. Coming out of A&M, there were reports of Michael's poor attitude, poor work ethic and a propensity to put the ball on the turf. More recent reports suggest he can't block or pick up the blitz. Do those negatives still persist? IF Lynch does hold out, I can only assume they do. It would be lunacy for Lynch's people to play this game if Michael was flat out ballin' as we would like to believe.

And no...this Lynch story / non-story hasn't the sky falling for me. I've had reservations about Michael since he was drafted. This just isn't easing my concerns. But like the guy said above..."I ain't worryin' til the pads are on". One thing I know for sure, and I heard Lynn Swann say the same yesterday "great teams find a way to win". We are a great team. We will find a way to win.

TXHawk

Reaction score
I have a bad feeling that with all of his carries and the type of punishment he takes (and deals out) that when Marshawn starts to decline his performance will fall off a cliff. I'd love to see Lynch healthy and productive for a few more years but if he's not I don't think the Hawks should have too much cap space tied up. I understand Marshawn's reasoning for wanting a new contract but I'm more interested in long-term success for the team. If Schneider can work out a way to take care of Lynch over the short term while maintaining cap health for the long run, then great. Otherwise let him play for what he agreed to or let him retire. Next man up.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
WendellWent":2pmtbuub said:
Sarlacc83":2pmtbuub said:
One guy makes up the report, and the rest repeat it like trained monkeys. Non story.

Agreed...until he misses a mandatory camp.

Have you ever been to a game in person? Lynch barely shows up for pre-game warm ups. I'm not worried until he's not out there the first game.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I just get the feeling that if this is really about money that the Hawks will try to find it. They won't do anything stupid though. No Alexander deals. Maybe Lynch just wants a little length added to carry him to 30-31.

Who knows? Maybe the guy is just wanting to hang. Sort of like Walt did.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
If it is now or later, there will never be another Lynch. It was something we were going to have to deal with fairly soon anyway.

I just don't want to see that hard ass ever quit. Maybe they work something with him with a lot of contingencies or incentives.

Pushing Aldon Smith to the ground, running over Goldson for a few more, busting through the Niners front several times for TDs, taking half of the Falcons defense up the sidelines, knocking Dockett around and removing his helmet, beasting the Saints twice for big runs in the playoffs. All stuff that makes Lynch worth it.

I want him for 2 more years. Even if Michael is ready. I don't want to leave Turbo out of it, he had some great runs called back for weak holding penalties and still did some damage.