Marshawn Lynch unhappy with his contract?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":uor02782 said:
I do think there's some credence to this report.

Marshawn is 28, out of guaranteed money (his contract was front loaded, so all of his bonus has already been paid out), and he sees the writing on the wall with the slim chance that the Hawks pick up his option next year.

So I'm sure his agent is telling him that whatever leverage he has to get an extension is NOW. It's a big gamble for us to go into 2014 with Turbin and Michael........so I could see a scenario where Marshawn and his agent are floating the "we want a new contract" out there to see if the FO bites.

I don't think they will bite, but again it's all about leverage..........and this is the ONLY leverage Marshawn has, this year.

It does make sense that Lynch is looking to secure what will almost certainly be his last big payday before he's out of the league. He knows that he's coming up on what is widely considered to be the tail end of a RB's career, and even if he feels that he could go for 8 more years, he's not going to have luck convincing other teams of that. And given the Seahawks' recent track record, going into the 2015 season as a top earner on the team while being 29 years old is an indication that he's going to be seeking employment elsewhere really soon. Is it going to be easier for him to secure one last good-sized payday as a 28-year old stud RB coming off a SB win or as a 29-year old RB who might be splitting carries with a younger guy?

I don't think Lynch has any animosity toward the team, but I do think that he knows his value and he knows how the NFL and the Seahawks operate. I think this is just his best opportunity to gain a little more security for himself, whether it's in Seattle or somewhere else. I'd be surprised if Seattle gave him any new money in all honesty. They've got his replacement in Michael riding the bench on a cheap rookie deal, and the longer they hold on to Lynch, the less value they get from Michael.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I love how when there is speculation about something positive, everyone here freaks out and makes 500 posts about it.

But if there is speculation about something like a contract holdout, everyone wants to cool their jets and calls everyone else "foolish" and "ridiculous" for buying into "media hype".

Where there is smoke there's fire and Lynch essentially as of now has a completely non-guaranteed 1 year 5 million dollar contract, for all intents and purposes, and has just watched Sherman and Thomas break the bank.

Lynch is a grown man and this is a business, if he wants to hold out in hopes of getting something done, I don't see that as being a selfish "me" guy at all. It's possible to both look at the holdout as a real possibility, while also not freaking out about it or making lynch look like a bad dude.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
They can convert some or all of his performance bonuses into guarantees. Heck, they could probably even convert some of his 2014 salary into a signing bonus and actually come out with a net savings on the cap for at least the next couple years. If they're going to take that step, then they could probably also re-do his 2015 numbers to make it more palatable and ensure his place on the team. Basically, just guarantee him a little more up front. At the end of the day, re-doing the deal now could actually make sense for both parties. This is assuming Marshawn is in the plans for the next two seasons (which I think he should be).

But like I said, whatever, this is all blind speculation and conjecture at this point. It ain't a story till it's actually a story.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3dav1ocr said:
I love how when there is speculation about something positive, everyone here freaks out and makes 500 posts about it.

But if there is speculation about something like a contract holdout, everyone wants to cool their jets and calls everyone else "foolish" and "ridiculous" for buying into "media hype".

Where there is smoke there's fire and Lynch essentially as of now has a completely non-guaranteed 1 year 5 million dollar contract, for all intents and purposes, and has just watched Sherman and Thomas break the bank.

Lynch is a grown man and this is a business, if he wants to hold out in hopes of getting something done, I don't see that as being a selfish "me" guy at all. It's possible to both look at the holdout as a real possibility, while also not freaking out about it or making lynch look like a bad dude.

Perfect post.

I don't care either way. If it is true, I can understand the business side of it from Marshawn..........and if it's not true then even better, we move on with the season.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
A story about a Seahawks player sourced by an agency based between Santa Clara and Frisco? Then a bunch of repeat reports?

Keep in mind folks, that during football season Yahoo literally behaves as a Niner news agency.

I don't really even care that much, but this is where being Media Literate has some value. A speculative story, sourced from the area which is also home to the Hawks biggest rival gets repeated and carried by others. Lynch and the team have not made any claims of any kind yet, but because the story is a story within itself, people give it validity.

Who knows what Lynch is doing? That guy misses stuff all the time and the team gives him the freedom to do so. He I nearing the end and the less work he does, the more mileage we get out of Lynch. Lynch is like a religious figure here. If he is getting uptight about his contract, the team will try to work with him to do what is in the best interest of both parties, if Lynch wants the ridiculous? CYA. Welcome Christine Michael and likely another functional RB the FO decides on.

With all that, I am not overly concerned about it one way or another.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
i would much sooner suspect a contract issue than a clandestine yahoo/49er team up slander conspiracy. That's just me though.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":3ax0tcjp said:
Walter Jones routinely missed all of camp and even training camps. He is now in the Hall of Fame.

End of discussion.

And remember all of the hand wringing and fan message board rioting that went on every single spring and summer over that?? All while Big Walt chilled his heals in Florida pushing his Escalade up and down the block? I'm sure those involved have conveniently wiped that from their mammaries... I mean memories.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":1zxk4da0 said:
Largent80":1zxk4da0 said:
Walter Jones routinely missed all of camp and even training camps. He is now in the Hall of Fame.

End of discussion.

And remember all of the hand wringing and fan message board rioting that went on every single spring and summer over that?? All while Big Walt chilled his heals in Florida pushing his Escalade up and down the block? I'm sure those involved have conveniently wiped that from their mammaries... I mean memories.

not sure how that is the end of discussion. The discussion is about contract status. I think we can all agree it's not a big deal if he misses mini-camp. Personally I'd prefer if he didn't do anything but light workouts until sept. 4th....the real question is if he'll be playing september 4th and under what contract.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":9y0v4eu4 said:
Largent80":9y0v4eu4 said:

End of discussion.

Not the same IMO.

Big Walt held out every year because he wanted a long term deal and didn't want to risk injury in camp because he was on a year to year franchise tender. Getting hurt in camp could have jeopardized him ever getting a long term deal, thus the holdouts.

Marshawn's is already under a long term contract, with two years left.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2ad6moi8 said:
i would much sooner suspect a contract issue than a clandestine yahoo/49er team up slander conspiracy. That's just me though.
It's not slander, it's designed speculation.

Just remember next season to read the Yahoo home page. You will get the idea.

HawkWow

Reaction score
A better reporter would have called Marshawn's mom before taking this to print.

IF there is any substance to any of this, Marshawn has something of a case in the fact that he is a top 3 back but making #5 (?) money, iirc. IF there is any substance to any of this, he would be handling the situation poorly. I don't see JS negotiating with terrorists (do I need the sarcasm thing here?) with 2 backs behind Lynch that are ready to run.

I would be fine with Lynch making an extra mil or two, which would leave him only behind McCoy and AD, but if I had a vote, it wouldn't be guaranteed money, it would be in the form of incentives. Lynch's people are smart, so the incentives would have to be smart, too. With 2 young, capable backs on the roster, he's not going to go for the "1500 yd" incentive, so it would have to be more based on YPC, whatever.

As stated earlier (and often) Lynch is my guy, but as free-spirited as he is, I wouldn't be guaranteeing him anything. Lynch isn't worried about public perception, the HOF, a SB ring and he's not hurting for money. The competitor in him aside, there will be little to motivate him. As I inferred earlier in this thread, this, if true, might be one of those suicide by cop things. Unsure if he wants to retire or not...he may be asking the FO to help with that decision.
Go Hawks (I'm not worried).

kearly

Reaction score
If for the sake of argument this report is true, it's not surprising to me. Lynch is a smart guy, and he knows that his $8 million total cap figure in 2015 during his age 29 season will put a huge "cut me" sign around his neck. It doesn't help that a lot of pundits, including John Clayton on local radio, have been speculating all offseason that Lynch's days in Seattle are numbered. Lynch knows he's down to his last 2-3 years in the league, but as things currently stand he might be on his last season in Seattle. And I imagine he wants to spend all of his remaining time in the league here.

I'm just speculating of course, but Lynch just seems like the kind of guy that cares way more about football and teammates than money. I think any "unhappiness" is unlikely to be rooted in financial wants because he's one of the highest paid RB in the league. I think it is more likely that his discontent is based on his lack of job security after 2014.

In that sense, I see this as being very similar to what Baldwin and Clemons did, using the little bit of leverage they had near the end of their deals to force Seattle to make a decision on giving them extensions.

Maybe they could change Lynch's remaining cap hits from 5 + 8 to 5 + 5 + 5 or something. As much as I look forward to Michael toting the rock for us, I think Lynch still fits our team better than Michael does at least for the moment, and it wouldn't be the worst crime in the world if we sacrificed Michael's low cost years so that a player like Lynch can ride off into the sunset with us.

HawkWow

Reaction score
IF one wanted to really read between the lines here (and is looking for a reason to be concerned), IF there is substance to any of this, I'd be worrying whether or not Michael is ready to start. If Michael is ready and is tearing it up, this would be a very reckless, if not dumb, play by Marshawn's people. What leverage would he really have IF that were the case?

Conversely, IF Michael is still not ready and Lynch's people don't see Turbo as a threat, this would be an excellent play by camp Marshawn. This posturing, if that's what it is, may be providing us a sneak peek into our current RB situation.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkWow":23ngdowd said:
IF one wanted to really read between the lines here (and is looking for a reason to be concerned), IF there is substance to any of this, I'd be worrying whether or not Michael is ready to start. If Michael is ready and is tearing it up, this would be a very reckless, if not dumb, play by Marshawn's people. What leverage would he really have IF that were the case?

Conversely, IF Michael is still not ready and Lynch's people don't see Turbo as a threat, this would be an excellent play by camp Marshawn. This posturing, if that's what it is, may be providing us a sneak peek into our current RB situation.

From day #1 Pete and John have been on top of every single roster move and where they fit in 2-3 years ahead of the curve.

I have no doubt that Bevell's comment last week about the "running back by committee" was calculated, and now we know why. I'm sure Lynch's agent has been bugging John the entire off season for a new deal.

This team is content with moving forward with or without Lynch.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Well, if this is true, lets see how the FO reacts. I do not like the idea of not having Marshawn out there.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sanders: "It's on your back. They feel like if they can stop you they can stop this team."

Bee Moe "They going to have stop all of us, you feel me? I'm at peace to it, but we got some dawgs."

This is not a holdout player. Hell, the Hawks would have to be crazy to give a new payday to a guy who talked retirement after the Bowl anyway.

Lynch is about that action, boss. Last year, when the RBs were doing their thing in TC, Lynch was doing hand fight drills with the O-line. Until there are pads on, I suspect Lynch doesn't care to waste his time dancing around in shorts with no hitting.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Well, I just read it on NFL.com with commentary by Rapaport, who's been pretty spot on this year.

Like Kearly said, I can see this as Marshawn trying to get money frontloaded from next year to this year. If he really wants to keep playing for us, then he'll restructure to add a year or two to his contract and level out the hits so we can sign guys like Wilson and Wagner. I'm sure he understands the business side of it.

As for him getting more money, they only leverage he has is trying to get some of next year's now. He won't get more, and he has absolutely no leverage there. Teams just aren't paying for RB's and guys are starting to see that. Unless he hits the market now, he probably won't get near what he's getting from us in free agency.

It's also still speculation, as Marshawn always misses voluntary OTA's. It's not a selfish thing, as he works out like mad and comes to camp in better shape than most guys that were here.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2w3djx6e said:
Sanders: "It's on your back. They feel like if they can stop you they can stop this team."

Bee Moe "They going to have stop all of us, you feel me? I'm at peace to it, but we got some dawgs."

This is not a holdout player. Hell, the Hawks would have to be crazy to give a new payday to a guy who talked retirement after the Bowl anyway.

Lynch is about that action, boss. Last year, when the RBs were doing their thing in TC, Lynch was doing hand fight drills with the O-line. Until there are pads on, I suspect Lynch doesn't care to waste his time dancing around in shorts with no hitting.

he's not a player that will hold out because he did an impromptu interview with primetime?

okay. sure whatever.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hawknballs":29ve0uvr said:
Scottemojo":29ve0uvr said:

he's not a player that will hold out because he did an impromptu interview with primetime?

okay. sure whatever.

Has he ever held out before? Has he even said a public word about wanting more money?

Until the pads go on, I don't care.

Latest posts