Marshawn Lynch unhappy with his contract?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1a582vwm said:
Hawknballs":1a582vwm said:
Pandion Haliaetus":1a582vwm said:
He is scheduled to make $7m this year, and $9m in 2015, Seahawks can cut him but he'll cost $1.5m against the cap.

If you cut him this year it's a 3M cap charge. next year the charge will be 1.5M.

hawknation2014":1a582vwm said:
, as long as we pay him less than the $7.5 million + $1.5 million in signing bonus cap hit that is owed to him next year.

Not sure you guys understand how the cap works.

Lynch will make 5.5M this year; 5M base salary and a 500K roster bonus.

In 2015 he will make 5.5M Base salary, and a 2M Per-game roster bonus that is only paid if he plays all 16 games. However he will probably never see this year anyways and he knows it.

So really Marshawn will make 5.5M from the Seahawks for this coming year and that's probably it.

Hate to see his time in seattle come to an end but the writing is on the wall, unless he wants to do a team-friendly restructure in order to put some bonus money in his pocket.

If Lynch is still playing at a high level, there will be no reason to cut him after this year. If he wants a longer deal, he will have to agree to take less next season.

That's sort of the idea with a restructure. give him a couple extra years, and prorate a new signing bonus for cash that goes into his pocket.

There is a huge reason to cut him next year if this sort of deal can't be worked out - he will be 29 and represent a 9M dollar cap hit that would tumble to a 1.5M cap hit for a team that needs to pay it's QB along with Bobby Wagner. It's just the business side of the game.

You're stating it like he has no choice in the matter. He doesn't have to sign a restructure here, and the team could cut him and he could just go get paid somewhere else.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Hawknballs":37efgwb5 said:
That's sort of the idea with a restructure. give him a couple extra years, and prorate a new signing bonus for cash that goes into his pocket.

There is a huge reason to cut him next year if this sort of deal can't be worked out - he will be 29 and represent a 9M dollar cap hit that would tumble to a 1.5M cap hit for a team that needs to pay it's QB along with Bobby Wagner. It's just the business side of the game.

You're stating it like he has no choice in the matter. He doesn't have to sign a restructure here, and the team could cut him and he could just go get paid somewhere else.

My point was it's unlikely Lynch will get more than $7.5 million in 2015, with the Seahawks or without them. The market for running backs is weak. The market for 29 year old running backs is almost non-existent. If he wants a longer deal with more guaranteed money, then he will have to agree to take less next season.

Once again, I fail to see where I have misunderstood "how the cap works."

Hawknballs

Reaction score
hawknation2014":243coset said:

sorry when you said , "as long as we pay him less than the $7.5 million + $1.5 million in signing bonus cap hit that is owed to him next year." that threw me off because it sounded like you were saying we owed him an extra 1.5M.

I think we're on the same level though, most contracts are structured in a way that the final year or two is never expected to be paid out anyways. 2015 was never a factor really. So yeah you're correct, he's going to get paid less in Seattle or otherwise.

I was more disagreeing with the people who thought he was making 7 and 9M over the next two seasons because those aren't the numbers and they make it sound like his contract is better than it is. Basically if and when marshawn shows up this year it's with full knowledge he's only looking at 5.5M.

I could see us doing a restructure that puts 10M in his pocket this year with a bonus and restructred salary that also adds another never-to-be-seen year to his contract. The problem though with restructuring is just pushing cap out further with prorated bonuses and that's not something you want to be doing with aging players.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Also worth noting - the Seahawks still have 9M left in cap room this year; I'm sure they'd love to roll some of that over into next year but they do have some money to work with if the decide to try to get something done.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Hawknballs":115mjclm said:
hawknation2014":115mjclm said:

sorry when you said , "as long as we pay him less than the $7.5 million + $1.5 million in signing bonus cap hit that is owed to him next year." that threw me off because it sounded like you were saying we owed him an extra 1.5M.

I think we're on the same level though, most contracts are structured in a way that the final year or two is never expected to be paid out anyways. 2015 was never a factor really. So yeah you're correct, he's going to get paid less in Seattle or otherwise.

I was more disagreeing with the people who thought he was making 7 and 9M over the next two seasons because those aren't the numbers and they make it sound like his contract is better than it is. Basically if and when marshawn shows up this year it's with full knowledge he's only looking at 5.5M.

I could see us doing a restructure that puts 10M in his pocket this year with a bonus and restructred salary that also adds another never-to-be-seen year to his contract.

Well, that's why I didn't say $9 million. The signing bonus is upfront money that is distributed under the cap over the term of the contract. We already gave him that $3 million that will effect the cap over the next two seasons.

I wouldn't be opposed to something like extending his contract through 2016 with around $5 million in guaranteed money, as long as he's willing to have less of a cap hit in 2015.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Makes sense why he wants more money given the extensions handed out to ET, Sherm and ADB.

Have no problem doing a restructure to give him more money this year, I believe we did that with Browner too last year didn't we?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Let me start by saying that I love Marshawn and I understand why he's trying to get some job security/one more payday as a 28-year-old RB.

However, were it me, I would let him retire/sit until the beginning of the season. He's getting paid fair market value for RBs already, and the last two years were probably his peak years of effectiveness.

I'm not mad at him as a fan, but I'm not into more years or anything like that.

Now, if they want to give him a bonus or re-negotiate to give him some of that next year money this year as a nice little bonus, that would be fine.

dunceface

Reaction score
Terry Blount is citing an "unnamed source" saying that Lynch wants a restructure for more money upfront...this still all sounds very wishy washy :34853_doh:

Report: Seahawks' Lynch wants contract extension, expected to skip minicamp
http://www.thescore.com/news/518400

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Whatever; it's not a story until it's actually a story. There are a lot of local guys with an agenda when it comes to Lynch.

And if Blount ever breaks/confirms news on the Seahawks before it actually happens, it'll be the very first time.

dunceface

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2kc13rbp said:
Whatever; it's not a story until it's actually a story. There are a lot of local guys with an agenda when it comes to Lynch.

And if Blount ever breaks/confirms news on the Seahawks before it actually happens, it'll be the very first time.

Exactly.

Anthony!

Reaction score
dunceface":24oyjove said:
DavidSeven":24oyjove said:

Exactly.

I agree so far there is nothing, no proof, nothing from Lynch just speculation, an unnamed source that could be the Yahoo guy for all we know.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Hmm if this is true and we can't work something out then I wonder what sort of trade value we could get out of Marshawn?

He's already got a ring and I wonder whether he'd want the chance to end his career with his hometown team, the Raiders.
Run DMC's had a couple of disappointing seasons behind the Oakland line and if they would package him plus a second day pick in 2015 then maybe we'd start to get tempted.

Of course, I'd hate any scenario that involved Marshawn Lynch not retiring a Hawk but if we can't offer him what he wants then I don't know what our options are. We're led to believe we'll be seeing more of a passing game this year and if we're confident in CMike and Turbo's ability to handle more of the offense then maybe we are equipped to lose a top 5 RB and still be successful. You have to believe that Percy's going to feature a lot more out of the backfield too.

Going to be interesting to see how this one plays out if true.

strohmin

Reaction score
Wow! Some of you are ridiculous. Lynch has never been a me guy. Hes probably trying to enjoy himself a little and take a break from the physicality he plays with. When the season begins hell be ready to go. That idiot reporter probably has no other news to provide.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I thought he always missed OTA's. Bit bemused why this has been twisted this way.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Amazing how many people just believe anything they hear from the media. Until he actually holds out etc. Nothing to worry about. He'll be there, he'll tear it up, and he'll win another ring.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3h6789xq said:
Amazing how many people just believe anything they hear from the media. Until he actually holds out etc. Nothing to worry about. He'll be there, he'll tear it up, and he'll win another ring.

not sure why its a big deal to everyone if some of us speculate the outcome if he truly does want a new contract. It certainly wouldn't be surprising, and where there is smoke there is fire. I've been making it clear that his contract is a little on the weak side. I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to get something done.

maybe its not the case as all but that doesn't mean its not worth taking a look at his contract. Why does that have to mean anyone us "worried", or being jerked around by the media?

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Assuming this is true:

I can see where Marshawn is coming from. Nobody sacrifices his body for this team like he does. And holdouts are one of the only pieces of leverage a player has.

With that said, the NFL is catching up to the fact that running backs are an entirely replaceable entity. That's why none are going in the first round anymore. The value of the position is at a low point; the reality is that it would be a poor move to cave to this, and I would hope that they don't.

I'm just hoping that this doesn't begin some nasty divorce where Seahawks fans start hating on Lynch. This type of situation often leads to that.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Has become one of my all time favs. Love to see him retire as a Hawk. But not at the expense of the team. Hope this all blows over without being an issue.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough, everyone looks at it differently, and that's cool. It would suck to not have him there, guess I just don't see any way he's not on the field come Sept. 4th.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I'm sure hell be on the field. But if you look at it, he basically has a one year contract for 5m, with an extra 500k bonus he gets assuming he's on the roster the full season. So, true it not a hold out wouldn't be surprising, and I wouldn't see it as selfish myself. Just business the same as when the team has to make its tough decisions.