I hate our offense

chiltech500

Reaction score
DavidSeven":23wvllak said:
MysterMatt":23wvllak said:
It won't hurt to look at those penalties in the light of day, but most seemed legit. Can't just blame officials for this.

Unger got called for a false start (negating an offsides and 1st down) for bobbing his head. Bobbing his head. Centers are constantly looking down through their legs and back up. That isn't a penalty.

Clearly nonsense because there was a good pause before Unger snapped the ball after his last head bob, clearly in excess of 1 second, to me that call stood out the most.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":ec7na3q6 said:
I would love for someone to quit softballing Pete Carrol and ask him point blank... "When is your offensive line going to learn to pass block?"

Our QB will not survive the year at this rate. We have not improved on the oline and we absolutely needed to.

I agree and someone needs to hold Tom Cable accountable. He's in charge of the OL. As much as Sweezy has improved, Russell Okung and Max Unger have regressed. Both are committing stupid penalties (things that rookies do) this year. Why is that?

45Hawker

Reaction score
In this game, we did attempt to pass down field - it's just that penalties and drops negated plays.

Baldwin, Wilson, and Harvin all dropped passes that would have went for 10+ yards and secured a first down. The long TD pass to Harvin was negated by the bogus penalty on Carp. Kearse' TD was 15+ yards. There was a long pass to Helfet too. That's 6 plays right there.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see more attempts downfield, but I think pass protection is limiting that. Wilson is playing awesome under pressure.

(also, our WR's weren't adjusting their routes when washington would blitz. I saw at least 2 times that WR didn't adjust on a blitz and Russell had no hot reads available and got sacked.. Those could have been huge plays, and made washington pay)

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Schadie001":a1yntc9w said:
Aside from the first drive I hate the gimmick offense that we are seeing. We have turned into a bubble screen, read option offense. I only saw one deep pass or intermediate pass for that matter. Is it just me? Seems like we aren't making the defense respect the deep ball.

I LOVE our offense. Its different, new and refreshing.

Then again, I absolutely couldn't stand the Holmgren era offense...........

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Reading this thread just makes me laugh.....

Same group of negative dudes that threw fits over wilson starting, hated Harvin last year, and even one guy posting that "gave up on the team" officially posting it in 2011......mkkkay chicken little.

olyfan63

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2ip8jgo3 said:
Gets the worst pass pro game of his career...

Completes 75% of his passes.

I like this kid

- bsd

I thought the pass pro against St. Louis last year (both games) was worse. Of course, the Rams have Mighty Quinn and co. I recall pass pro being just as bad as last night in several more of last year's games too. (Or maybe I've just seen it so many times I'm desensitized to it.)

Yup, Russell Wilson is doing magical, amazing things while running for his life.

olyfan63

Reaction score
hawkfan68":d91z4967 said:
Tech Worlds":d91z4967 said:
I would love for someone to quit softballing Pete Carrol and ask him point blank... "When is your offensive line going to learn to pass block?"

Our QB will not survive the year at this rate. We have not improved on the oline and we absolutely needed to.

I agree and someone needs to hold Tom Cable accountable. He's in charge of the OL. As much as Sweezy has improved, Russell Okung and Max Unger have regressed. Both are committing stupid penalties (things that rookies do) this year. Why is that?

Why is that? Because Okung and Unger are both nursing injuries we aren't being fully told about.
Okung is clearly not his normal healthy self, with the bad arm, and whatever additional issues are causing him to suck at times, to false start trying for that extra edge to make up for the injury.

Ditto for Unger, that leg injury was most likely a problem all night.

We just don't seem to have healthy and reasonably capable backups who are better than the injured starters.
Lemuel Jean-Pierre, we miss you!

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":158mbx8h said:
kf3339":158mbx8h said:
I agree about our offense. We just don't play to have the type of offense that destroys opponents and takes their will to finish the game. That too often leaves us to allowing other teams to stay in the game, instead of believe they can come back on us.

It is what right now is holding this team back from being truly a dynasty IMO.

Really...?

Skins' D was ranked 12 against pass, 7 against run, and 9 overall. That's not exactly bad.

Were not running Lynch enough...were not throwing deep enough...were not "destroying their will enough"...

How about we do what it takes to win a football game where the other NFL football team 1.) does not exactly roll over and die, 2) has 90+ thousand fans at home, 3) is on the East cost where statistically west coast teams have a poor record league-wide, 4.) gets favorable calls all night, 5.)blitzes like crazy (and effectively) all night long in an attempt to take advantage of or perceived/real o-line issues...etc.?

Packing the box and heavy blitzing will continue. And yes, there will be downfield opportunities as there were tonight. Penalties and drops killed tonight. Otherwise the Hawks' O was the type of offense that destroys opponents and takes their will to finish the game. Only issue I saw was stupid penalties and inconsistent O-line play.
I totally agree. Great points. The only tidbit I'd asterisk is the "packing the box" part. Before the MNF game, our first three opponents this season were showing 8 in the box significantly less than last year, according to Houston radio host Lance Zierlein and put into the context of our "new look" offense at Field Gulls:

Attachments

• stacking8.png
    stacking8.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 218

bigskydoc

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3b25khxp said:
Theres nothing wrong with the read-option, but faking to Harvin is having less of an effect every week. Harvin isnt good at running routes but his speed can be used for the long ball if they give him a chance.

Harvin isn't good at running routes, so we should use him more in running deep routes instead of just getting the ball to him in areas where route running isn't necessary and he can make plays after the reception.

:34853_doh:

- bsd

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I can empathize with the people who think our oline is atrocious at pass blocking. It really is. DVOA doesn't lie and this team's oline is painful to watch.

That said, DVOA puts us as the #2 offense in the NFL right now. It also puts Washington as the #3 pass rushing defense in the NFL right now. So with our crappy pass pro and their great pass rush, one would expect a lot worse than what we saw last night. The refs were obviously instructed to keep the game close.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":2mqewv0c said:
drummerseahawkboy":2mqewv0c said:
... I wouldn't credit our oline for our rushing attack considering Lynch leads the league in broken tackles.

Until the 4th quarter when the O-line started to look gassed, Lynch routinely was getting 4-5 yards downfield before he was touched. There weren't big holes, but the entire defensive line was getting blown up and driven backwards several yards.

The pass "protection" was atrocious.

- bsd

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":khdsdji8 said:
Hawkpower":khdsdji8 said:
Advocate a fix, but quit predicting doom that isnt coming.
I have. Every single year, going back to before we even had Russell Wilson.

I would love to see the Seahawks draft O-line high every single draft. Every year. Without fail.

Been saying it for years; you CANNOT GO WRONG building and maintaining a fantastic O-line.

Also, Smellyman, one of the key indicators of a GREAT team rather than a good one is that they consistently blowout bad teams. Football Outsiders has written about this a fair bit.
No the key indicator of a great team is winning regardless of circumstances or style not point differential.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Schadie001":1q1znwzr said:
Aside from the first drive I hate the gimmick offense that we are seeing. We have turned into a bubble screen, read option offense. I only saw one deep pass or intermediate pass for that matter. Is it just me? Seems like we aren't making the defense respect the deep ball.

I don't HATE our offense, it's more dynamic with Percy than it was last year.

But I agree with you that we need to stop allowing the defense to pack the box with 10 guys because there's no threat downfield.

You saw it last night, tons of room in the first half for Russell to run and complete short passes. Then the Skins came out in the 2nd half and just blitzed and put 10 guys within 5-7 yards of the line of scrimmage and made it impossible for Percy and the run game to get loose.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3e9box87 said:
MysterMatt":3e9box87 said:
It won't hurt to look at those penalties in the light of day, but most seemed legit. Can't just blame officials for this.

Unger got called for a false start (negating an offsides and 1st down) for bobbing his head. Bobbing his head. Centers are constantly looking down through their legs and back up. That isn't a penalty.

Harvin got called for a false start for motioning as a wide receiver. This negated a touchdown.

Carpenter got called for a TD-negating personal foul for pinning a defensive linemen without holding him.

These aren't even blown 50/50 calls. These are calls that were straight made up on the spot.
The Harvin motion call looked like a false start at first, but you're right, he had turned and just started going into motion. I think the timing of it looked a little funky, but technically it probably isn't illegal.

As for the Carpenter penalty, from the angle I saw the arm to the face was intentional and stupid. I think that is what the ref called, not the actually flopping on the defensive player.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":262n0zta said:
No the key indicator of a great team is winning regardless of circumstances or style not point differential.
There's a higher historical correlation between Super Bowl-winning teams beating up on bad teams by a lot of scores than there is winning consistently against other really good teams, actually, which is why Football Outsiders has said how a quality team handles a bad team is a very good indicator.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3fj6hgbz said:
MizzouHawkGal":3fj6hgbz said:
There's a higher historical correlation between Super Bowl-winning teams beating up on bad teams by a lot of scores than there is winning consistently against other really good teams, actually, which is why Football Outsiders has said how a quality team handles a bad team is a very good indicator.

One of the things that separates Carroll teams from this is he doesn't put a big emphasis on point differential, but he does put a HUGE emphasis on getting better and more efficient as the season goes along.

So if this pattern holds true, and there's no reason to think it won't unless we get a rash of injuries is all this nonsense with dumb penalties gets cleaned up and the Hawks do what they did last year.............get better.

Wagon12

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":2xas8qcz said:
our o line is worse than last year if that's possible. tough to throw down field when you cant pass block

This exactly. I'm sitting there watching the game and thinking... "Ummmm... do we play anybody with real DLines down the road?" Get this fixed now, please!

Yikes.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
We had nine three-and-outs last night. I just read that stat and...Wow. Nine three-and-outs. Against a mediocre-at-best defense.

:|

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":12w4lpzj said:
We had nine three-and-outs last night. I just read that stat and...Wow. Nine three-and-outs. Against a mediocre-at-best defense.

:|

Our usual 3rd quarter offensive woes.

Seems par for the course so far this year that Pete and Bevell refuse to change the offense play calling up at halftime, even though they know damn well the other team made halftime adjustments to pressure our dink and dunky short passing game and if we have a lead run Marshawn.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":21ujlb6a said:
Grahamhawker":21ujlb6a said:
kf3339":21ujlb6a said:
I agree about our offense. We just don't play to have the type of offense that destroys opponents and takes their will to finish the game. That too often leaves us to allowing other teams to stay in the game, instead of believe they can come back on us.

It is what right now is holding this team back from being truly a dynasty IMO.

Really...?

Skins' D was ranked 12 against pass, 7 against run, and 9 overall. That's not exactly bad.

Were not running Lynch enough...were not throwing deep enough...were not "destroying their will enough"...

How about we do what it takes to win a football game where the other NFL football team 1.) does not exactly roll over and die, 2) has 90+ thousand fans at home, 3) is on the East cost where statistically west coast teams have a poor record league-wide, 4.) gets favorable calls all night, 5.)blitzes like crazy (and effectively) all night long in an attempt to take advantage of or perceived/real o-line issues...etc.?

Packing the box and heavy blitzing will continue. And yes, there will be downfield opportunities as there were tonight. Penalties and drops killed tonight. Otherwise the Hawks' O was the type of offense that destroys opponents and takes their will to finish the game. Only issue I saw was stupid penalties and inconsistent O-line play.
I totally agree. Great points. The only tidbit I'd asterisk is the "packing the box" part. Before the MNF game, our first three opponents this season were showing 8 in the box significantly less than last year, according to Houston radio host Lance Zierlein and put into the context of our "new look" offense at Field Gulls:

Nice tidbit. Thanks for adding.

Latest posts