What I LOVE about our offense nowadays

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I love that Geno uses tight ends. Russ couldn't see or really use the middle of the field. Geno can, uses the tight ends. I also love that we can move the ball. Seems like for years we couldn't really maintain anything on offense. Everything depended on someone busting off a huge run, or Wilson throwing a long ball. Even when our drives succeeded, we'd often severely lose the TOP battle. I'd like to see a little more success throwing to running backs on occasion, but with Geno spreading the ball around, and being able to move it reliably, and keep a sustained drive, it's just soo good to be beyond Russel Wilson!

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
There's just so much more variety! And that bodes well for the backend of the season because it gives opposing D-coordinators that much more that they have to account for. Scheme to take DK out of the game? Go ahead! Our tightends are sure handed and can move. And good luck against our 13 personnel and TE screens! Just absolutely exciting times!!

sutz

Reaction score
I like to call it a 21st Century offense. I also hope to see some more development of RBs in the passing game.

Overall, though nothing to complain about.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I like to call it a 21st Century offense. I also hope to see some more development of RBs in the passing game.

Overall, though nothing to complain about.

Yesterday, in addition to targeting TEs on 12 of his 32 actual pass attempts (not throwaways) and WRs on 13, Smith targeted RBs seven times.
Homer caught all three of his targets for a total of 25 yards. Yes, 22 of those yards came on a single catch, but it's still a nice contribution to the passing game (in addition to Homer still being the best at blocking among our RBs).
Walker caught three of his four targets for a total of 20 yards.

I love that the Seahawks ended up with two passing TDs and two rushing TDs. 34 rushes and 34 passes. A balanced attack doesn't need to be that symmetric, but there's something pleasing about it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
There was some solid adjustments too after Geno was getting blasted back there. They started moving him out of the pocket etc. Yet again, in game adjustments. Something we haven't seen much of in recent years. And this team is just scratching the surface, they can get a LOT better. Especially being so YOUNG

James in PA

Reaction score
It just looks like a good NFL offense is supposed to. Nice run and pass balance. Tight ends are actually being used. Many different players are being utilized. Third downs are being converted. So what's different this year?? I just can't put my finger on it!

Mad Dog

Reaction score
The McVay offensive scheme is very QB friendly if it si executed properly with the right personnel. It thrives with a good RB (peak Gurley remember?) and athletic TE’s who can move laterally. Geno has been just excellent at executing the offense and making the right audible calls based on what he sees.

I wonder what Russ’ issue was? Vision limitations? Ability to read defenses properly? Overly willing to go off script and improvise? What ever it was, it looks like Russ missed the boat, as it certainly wasn’t Pete or Waldron holding him back. It was Russ himself.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Yesterday, in addition to targeting TEs on 12 of his 32 actual pass attempts (not throwaways) and WRs on 13, Smith targeted RBs seven times.
Homer caught all three of his targets for a total of 25 yards. Yes, 22 of those yards came on a single catch, but it's still a nice contribution to the passing game (in addition to Homer still being the best at blocking among our RBs).
Walker caught three of his four targets for a total of 20 yards.

I love that the Seahawks ended up with two passing TDs and two rushing TDs. 34 rushes and 34 passes. A balanced attack doesn't need to be that symmetric, but there's something pleasing about it.
That's the perfect "Pete ball" game that exemplifies exactly the type of balance Pete strives for.

hoxrox

Reaction score
The Cards defense covered the wide receivers well. There were even coverage sacks because no one was open. But no matter, it was impressive how Geno used his legs to pick up first downs. On one scramble, he recognized man coverage and saw green grass. The other one was a read option KEEPER that picked up about 10 yards.

The offense is multiple. Two high safeties? Doesn't matter, the offense isn't one-dimensional and can beat you multiple ways.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, sometimes it's the defense you are playing against, making things tough. A couple of the sacks, he should have thrown it away, clearly nobody was open. Let alone coming back to the QB for a scramble drill. Geno did what he needed to when it mattered. Even with some real iffy/dangerous throws.

toffee

Reaction score
It just looks like a good NFL offense is supposed to. Nice run and pass balance. Tight ends are actually being used. Many different players are being utilized. Third downs are being converted. So what's different this year?? I just can't put my finger on it!
Not cooking for one person, everyone is cookin' family style.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
And yesterday we got to see EXACTLY why the Hawks insisted on Fant coming over as part of the trade. He is a legit weapon. And honestly, has a lot more speed than he should for a guy his size.
Yep. Harris is playing well and Lock filled the need as a backup QB that can go in and play. Add all the draft capital and removing the cluster of cells that put the team at risk...it is just a beautiful piece of negotiation on part of JS/PC.

bileever

Reaction score
This is the kind of game we would have lost last year. The Cardinals took away the deep pass, and their secondary played pretty well. Geno and Waldron had no problem adjusting and throwing underneath. I was concerned when Geno was sacked on two consecutive plays at the start of the thrid quarter, but it was fixed and didn't happen again. In the past, it would have been the beginning of a whole slew of sacks.

I also love Geno understanding when to run. He got some a chunk of yards at a key point in the game.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
This is the kind of game we would have lost last year. The Cardinals took away the deep pass, and their secondary played pretty well. Geno and Waldron had no problem adjusting and throwing underneath. I was concerned when Geno was sacked on two consecutive plays at the start of the thrid quarter, but it was fixed and didn't happen again. In the past, it would have been the beginning of a whole slew of sacks.

I also love Geno understanding when to run. He got some a chunk of yards at a key point in the game.
Totally agree. Waldron/Geno = Chess, Russ = checkers.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I like:
No delay of games
No holding calls
Very few WTF moments
Geno able to progress through the whole left to right field.
Receivers catching balls in stride..

In the first few games, I'd see Smith calling an audible, making sure players at both ends of the line heard it, and I'd automatically take a nervous look at the play clock, worried that my Seahawks were in danger of taking a delay-of-game penalty. It gave me just an amazing feeling to see 12, 13 seconds left on the play clock as Smith was doing this, because I had gotten so used to the Seahawks lining up and Wilson starting to call out signals with five or fewer seconds left on the play clock.

Now when I see Smith changing the play or clarifying things for his teammates at the line of scrimmage, I don't feel nervous when I look at the play clock, because now I've gotten used to things running on schedule the way they're supposed to run, and I know there'll be plenty of time on the clock. Now I look with confidence that I'll see that the Seahawks still have plenty of time to get the play off before the clock expires.

It's amazing how the short-play-clock problems migrated from Seattle to Denver this year, to the point that Denver fans were counting down with the play clock in a few games. It's almost like it wasn't the Seahawks' coaching staff that was causing all the problems with getting plays off in time. 🤔

Bobblehead

Reaction score
In the first few games, I'd see Smith calling an audible, making sure players at both ends of the line heard it, and I'd automatically take a nervous look at the play clock, worried that my Seahawks were in danger of taking a delay-of-game penalty. It gave me just an amazing feeling to see 12, 13 seconds left on the play clock as Smith was doing this, because I had gotten so used to the Seahawks lining up and Wilson starting to call out signals with five or fewer seconds left on the play clock.

Now when I see Smith changing the play or clarifying things for his teammates at the line of scrimmage, I don't feel nervous when I look at the play clock, because now I've gotten used to things running on schedule the way they're supposed to run, and I know there'll be plenty of time on the clock. Now I look with confidence that I'll see that the Seahawks still have plenty of time to get the play off before the clock expires.

It's amazing how the short-play-clock problems migrated from Seattle to Denver this year, to the point that Denver fans were counting down with the play clock in a few games. It's almost like it wasn't the Seahawks' coaching staff that was causing all the problems with getting plays off in time. 🤔
My question is.. how come we never did that.. count down the play clock... it only took them 2 games.

White Devil

Reaction score
I appreciate Geno and Shane showing all of us that over the last 4 years and multiple OC's the problem was never Pete's meddling, it was a QB that couldn't elevate his game. The problems have followed him to his next team, but this time the OC is also the HC, so he gets ALL the blame.

Meanwhile, Dan Patrick made a shirt for his new team. And it hits hard, because it's true.Screen Shot 2022 11 07 at 11035 PM