I hate our offense

davidonmi

Reaction score
kearly":39fpby9n said:
Seems really weird to critique the offense on a night where at least four explosive plays and three TDs were called back on penalties. With better officiating the final score probably would have been 41-17.

I bet somehow Wilson gets a horrible QBR for this game.
Actually quite the opposite. 84.something
I however expect a poor grade from PFF for "taking too many chances" or something

MysterMatt

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1ckt6vhl said:
kearly":1ckt6vhl said:
"He took a horrible sack late in the game; 5 QBR rating for the day!"

Never mind the fact that he did it on purpose to keep the clock running exactly as he should have while his O-line was regularly throwing him in front of Peterbilt trucks to boot, especially on that specific play.
It was totally bad officiating, not our OL. They scored 41 theoretical points tonight.

It bugs me when I agree with you.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
MysterMatt":2uv6b09w said:
Hawkpower":2uv6b09w said:
Tech Worlds":2uv6b09w said:
I would love for someone to quit softballing Pete Carrol and ask him point blank... "When is your offensive line going to learn to pass block?"

Our QB will not survive the year at this rate. We have not improved on the oline and we absolutely needed to.

I remember reading that prediction 16 times last year too.

These Nostradamus' in here are legit good.
What a piss-ant response. In no way does the success of last year negate the constant issue of poor OL play. I want Russell to last another ten years, but history shows us time and again that smaller players who take too many hits tend to break down. The concern expressed is completely legit, so go away and take your nonsensical "we won a SB last year so stop complaining" apologies with you.

No it doesnt.

But Im not talking about the SUCCESS of last year.

I am talking about the prediction we read about time and time again predicting RW's demise due to hits. And the truth is, despite poor oline play, he really doesnt take that many hits. He runs. He probably gets tired. But he doesnt take an abnormal number of hits.

And for gods sake calm down with your anger man. This is a message board, not real life.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
MysterMatt":2y2zyqo8 said:
kearly":2y2zyqo8 said:
Seems really weird to critique the offense on a night where at least four explosive plays and three TDs were called back on penalties. With better officiating the final score probably would have been 41-17.

It won't hurt to look at those penalties in the light of day, but most seemed legit. Can't just blame officials for this.
The vast majority of our penalties were legit. The bigger problem was the fact that the Redskins got away with a lot of uncalled ones.

Still don't know why we didn't start running some slants and screens to compensate for our crappy pass pro, however.

MysterMatt":2y2zyqo8 said:
It bugs me when I agree with you.
I love you too, honeybunch. :)

AgentDib

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1vsi2fwc said:
Pass pro is an issue. That's obvious. Our play designs are basically in place to address that. Even with two subpar pass blocking tackles, the team is fielding a top 5 offense. Miller being out is also huge.

Just got to get through it, hope Miller gets back healthy, hope Okung gets healthier and better and hope Britt improves with experience.
This is an excellent take, and if we weren't struggling in pass pro all things considered that would be the surprise. With Wilson we will be competitive in any game we play regardless of whether the line improves or not.

My concern about pass protection is mainly a long-term one. Wilson took two pretty good shots tonight, even if he laughed it off in the post game interview. There is a lot that he can shrug off and bounce back from as a 25 year old that will get tougher down the road as he ages and is in the middle of a 20m/year contract. There's really not much that can be done at this point in the season but next off-season I think hard decisions are going to have to be made about at least Okung and Unger and we probably need another blocking TE on the roster unless we have confidence in McCoy's health.

seahawk Dan

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1eiqwz5x said:
seahawk12thman":1eiqwz5x said:
We had three touchdowns taken off the board, our O is fine. :D

Incorrect - that's 21 points we gave up with stupid penalties, which is a part of offense.

It's not fine. They need to fix it.

Yes we got what 11 penalties ? I have never seen three touchdowns taken away by penalties , over aggressive , be more disciplined .

Reaneypark

Reaction score
If you don't like it, you'll just have to wait until Carroll retires. Pete loves this offense and I don't think he's changing things to make the critics happy.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Im glad im not the only one that doesn't like our gimmicky offense.

The long pass to Harvin was pretty much the only conventional WR play we got from him and it would've been a td without the penalty. What the seahawks REALLY NEEDED was a conventional #1 wr but instead we went with Harvin and 4 games into his 2nd season im not impressed with how its going.

Theres nothing wrong with the read-option, but faking to Harvin is having less of an effect every week. Harvin isnt good at running routes but his speed can be used for the long ball if they give him a chance.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
drummerseahawkboy":18t9hx05 said:
How can we throw deep when Russell's under pressure damn near every pass attempt. Our o-line as far as pass blocking has been terrible since the Pete Carroll era
I would call it the cable era.

Ive wanted Cable to be fired for a long time now. The results just aren't there, and I wouldn't credit our oline for our rushing attack considering Lynch leads the league in broken tackles.

As awesome as Lynch is, our super bowl hopes really do rest on Wilson. I care more about protecting Wilson than I do about opening a little extra room for Lynch.

Pass Pro needed to be fixed years ago. Someone needs to go.

kearly

Reaction score
MysterMatt":2fozlth0 said:
kearly":2fozlth0 said:

It won't hurt to look at those penalties in the light of day, but most seemed legit. Can't just blame officials for this.

The first one that took back Harvins TD on the run left was a good call. Carp held the guy and he held him good.

The other two were using a different rulebook. Receivers can go in motion before a snap. Pete gave them an earful after that one and they deserved it.

On the third one, Carpenter's "hit" is totally legal assuming he didn't intentionally punch the guys facemask or anything. From the angle I saw, it didn't look like something that should have been flagged. As someone who played OL, I can tell you that O-lineman are coached to jump on downed players. This kind of thing probably happens 30 times a game, and that was the first time I'd ever seen it flagged. Picked a hell of a time to throw it too. It really did feel like home cooking in this game, to put it nicely.

But neither of them were as bad as the blatant offsides that got called a false start because "the ball moved." And that call happened on 3rd and 4. Seattle overcame it with a big first down the next play, but that was probably one of the ten worst calls I've seen so far this season in any NFL game.

kearly

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":ve9kotf3 said:

Our offense has never been less gimmicky. Tons of short passing. Very little hurry up element. It's far less predictable than it was in 2012 or 2013. It's basically like the Chargers offense with better weapons and a more mobile QB.

minormillikin

Reaction score
kearly":1f4loh8h said:
MysterMatt":1f4loh8h said:
kearly":1f4loh8h said:

The first one that took back Harvins TD on the run left was a good call. Carp held the guy and he held him good.

The other two were using a different rulebook. Receivers can go in motion before a snap. Pete gave them an earful after that one and they deserved it.

On the third one, Carpenter's "hit" is totally legal assuming he didn't intentionally punch the guys facemask or anything. From the angle I saw, it didn't look like something that should have been flagged. As someone who played OL, I can tell you that O-lineman are coached to jump on downed players. This kind of thing probably happens 30 times a game, and that was the first time I'd ever seen it flagged. Picked a hell of a time to throw it too. It really did feel like home cooking in this game, to put it nicely.

But neither of them were as bad as the blatant offsides that got called a false start because "the ball moved." And that call happened on 3rd and 4. Seattle overcame it with a big first down the next play, but that was probably one of the ten worst calls I've seen so far this season in any NFL game.

My problem is that they made a lot of calls that they wouldn't always make. They could have let some of these go, and no one would have gone back to the tape and complained later. I'm sure if I had all-22, I could look over each Redskins play and find stupid stuff to call, as well.

Carpenter can fall on that guy or not and Harvin still catches the touchdown. The "spirit of the law" is to call back plays that happened due to unfair circumstances, not to punish every technical instance of rule-breaking. And no, I don't like when shit like this is called in the Seahawks favor either.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
MysterMatt":381nfyw3 said:

Unger got called for a false start (negating an offsides and 1st down) for bobbing his head. Bobbing his head. Centers are constantly looking down through their legs and back up. That isn't a penalty.

Harvin got called for a false start for motioning as a wide receiver. This negated a touchdown.

Carpenter got called for a TD-negating personal foul for pinning a defensive linemen without holding him.

These aren't even blown 50/50 calls. These are calls that were straight made up on the spot.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
I think the offense stalls at times...

BUT.

We dominated the Packers, Broncos and Redskins. The score might not show it but the Broncos and Redskins games were borderline blowouts

TXHawk

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":2ffwl8xm said:

The long pass to Harvin was pretty much the only conventional WR play we got from him and it would've been a td without the penalty. What the seahawks REALLY NEEDED was a conventional #1 wr but instead we went with Harvin and 4 games into his 2nd season im not impressed with how its going.

Theres nothing wrong with the read-option, but faking to Harvin is having less of an effect every week. Harvin isnt good at running routes but his speed can be used for the long ball if they give him a chance.

What exactly is gimmicky about our offense? The jet sweep? It's been around forever. The read option? Same. My high school team used to run something similar in the '70s. Bubble screens? Play action fakes and misdirections? Those are NFL staples.

Gimmicky is having Johnny Manziel trying to hide near the sidelines and then throwing a pass to him. What the Seahawks are doing isn't gimmicky. It's designed to freeze linebackers, slow pursuit, and keep defenses guessing. It's been pretty effective so far and has helped open up running lanes for Lynch. It would have been very effective against the Skins if so many explosive plays hadn't been called back by penalties.

OP
OP
S

Schadie001

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":enzelrxi said:
I love how we've seen Russell scramble around and throw deep strikes to our receivers more than any other QB in the league, but when we don't try several deep shots in a game and someone asks about it, it's always the O-line's legitimately crappy pass protection that takes the blame.

How about...Some designed roll-outs where Russell just scrambles for a couple seconds, then launches one? He does it well enough NOT by design, it's GOTTA be easier if you know you're doing it before the snap.

Even if you just purposely overthrow some deep attempts, it helps back a defense off. HAVE to take like at least one shot (25+ yards in the air) per quarter IMO. Add in receivers who actually are good at making sure a pass isn't intercepted if they can't catch it, and the inherent likelihood of a panicking DB getting a flag thrown on him trying to defend the deep pass, and it seems like a no-brainer to me...

Couldn't have said it better.

OP
OP
S

Schadie001

Reaction score
nanomoz":2x7ae25e said:
Anyone that can post this can't be old enough to have experienced the longsuffering of being a Hawk fan in the early 90's.

I posted it. I'm 42. So much for your theory.

chiltech500

Reaction score
glad2bdada3":9ffl9f41 said:
I can't think of a game where we stepped on our own dicks more times than that one

LOL, we've had a few boners of offensive line penalties over the years (remember Giaciomini) but seeing an obvious 11 point loss is tough; I lost the tie in my pool on points.

Yes we had 3 called back but two were on the same drive and we did get a field goal so net loss was 4 pionts plus add second half callback and you get 11 points.

I don't understand the math that says we lost 21 points?