Golden Tate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I just don't see a run first team dumping another big contract for a receiver. If the Seahawks offer I suspect it would be around a max of 5 mil a year. Maybe Sidney has gas left for another year or another FE. The young man from the Canadian league and a rookie I suspect will be in play as well

brettb3

Reaction score
jkitsune":21hk3zeh said:
plyka":21hk3zeh said:
Wenhawk":21hk3zeh said:
Funny how Bennett says he's not Costco and wants to get his money and Tate says he will give Seattle a hometown discount. Well no that I have seen Bennett sign for less than expected and give Seattle the "hometown discount" I think they were both playing a game.

Bennett really wanted to stay here so he had to artificially inflate $ figure with the Seahawks by voicing his desireto take the money, full well knowing if the Hawks gave him a good offer he'd take it.

Tate say's he will take a discount but really he's saying that so other teams come at him with more $ to get him, thus atrificailly driving up his market for outside teams.

Am I crazy or does this seem logical to anyone else. I found it odd that a player openly voice that he'd take less money to stick around and wondered if he was trying some type of reverse psychology type stuff.

I had the thought regarding TAte but not Bennett. I thought Tate just wanted to get on the fans "good side" so he made the "slightly lower" remark. Of course there is nothing holding him to that comment so it really doesn't matter what he says. Then if the Seahawks pick him up he can say he did give them a discount.

All that said, I highly doubt that Tate is coming back. Let's remember that the Hawks offered Bennett a contract BEFORE the 3 day period where other teams could talk to him started, Bennett refused it until today. With Tate, there was no contract offered. I really don't think that the Hawks are coming after him, because they believe Tate will be 4-6m, and he is too similar to the other WRs on this team: Baldwin, Percy, Kearse. This team cannot have those 4 as the WRs. They are great as a group but they are simply too similar. So they are going to open up a WR spot by not resigning Tate. Most likely a WR is picked in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft.

Let me ask you, if you had Kearse/Baldwin/Percy --all between 5'10'' and 6', would you bring Tate back on 5m per year?

Just curious, but it's my impression that you're essentially opining that all four of these wideouts are extremely similar on the basis that they are approximately the same height and (maybe) run about the same 40. Tate and Percy are the only two of those four that are similar to each other, IMO, and I'm not sure where you're drawing the comparison otherwise.

Yes, I would pay Tate $4-$5m a year. He has been Wilson's favored target, improved every year, and has the ability to be an elite receiver. The only thing preventing him from consistently being over 1,000 yards/year is the fact that this team ranked 31st in passing attempts last year, or he'd be in the 1,200 yard range and people wouldn't hesitate to do it.
Bingo. Tate and Harvin aren't even that similar. If PCJS want to get a big receiver in the draft, fine, but I have no problem with going into next season with the exact same WR corps.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":19fyz6n2 said:
Wenhawk":19fyz6n2 said:
Funny how Bennett says he's not Costco and wants to get his money and Tate says he will give Seattle a hometown discount. Well no that I have seen Bennett sign for less than expected and give Seattle the "hometown discount" I think they were both playing a game.

Bennett really wanted to stay here so he had to artificially inflate $ figure with the Seahawks by voicing his desireto take the money, full well knowing if the Hawks gave him a good offer he'd take it.

Tate say's he will take a discount but really he's saying that so other teams come at him with more $ to get him, thus atrificailly driving up his market for outside teams.

Am I crazy or does this seem logical to anyone else. I found it odd that a player openly voice that he'd take less money to stick around and wondered if he was trying some type of reverse psychology type stuff.
Let's just let this play out before going all Deliverance on us.Ok?

What's with the patronizing tone when you, just the other day, freaked out about Michael Bennett?

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3rljvc0v said:

Not that crazy. Certainly crazier things have happened. We shall see.

Largent80

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":18q5r8i5 said:
Uh oh.

‏@ShowtimeTate
Things are starting to heat up
9:07 PM - 10 Mar 2014 from Manhattan Beach, CA

Its going to be in the 80's here all week. He is about 3 mikes from my place, maybe I should take him maple bars again.

Exittium

Reaction score
ehh my reasoning for missing Tate if he is let go, for me he was like our security blanket WR. He could take the hits and keep trucking, mini beast mode stuff ya know? Where as the other WR's we'd had or have, has had their share of injuries from the same hits we've seen Tate play through. Not to mention him and RW have some chemistry there as well. "Shrug" I guess we'll find out. Maybe best if we let him walk, as to extend ET and Sherm or, ET now and Sherm Next year. Probably be cheaper as well letting him walk and drafting a WR and let PC do what he does best, turn him into a star. Overall I hope we keep him.

Coxal

Reaction score
Andre Roberts gets a 4 years, 16M (8M guaranteed)...

I guess Tate is looking AT LEAST for a 4/22M with 8M to 12M guaranteed. It would makes sense when you see what Roberts managed to deal.

mikeak

Reaction score
I said this after Minnesota signed Everson Griffen - nobody looks at Minnesota and says they just set the new average. The only thing teams like Minnesota sets is the ceiling for what any village idiot would do with their money. Then you know you can come in significantly under that.

Washington Redskins works the same way.

Yes there are a few of those out there - Miami joined the group last year but they are not looking for a WR

Laloosh

Reaction score
-The Glove-":21ucslah said:
MizzouHawkGal":21ucslah said:
Wenhawk":21ucslah said:

Let's just let this play out before going all Deliverance on us.Ok?

What's with the patronizing tone when you, just the other day, freaked out about Michael Bennett?

She self medicated before this one ;)

McGruff

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":15duxirn said:
The more I think about it, the more I think Tate is gone. He and Decker are the two best WRs in a market where like six teams with tons of cap space also desperately need more WRs. Tate's gonna get overpaid by someone else.

But how many of those teams are going to look at a potential 12-14 deep starting rookie class and say we can get cheaper better through the draft?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
McGruff":cuhzywkp said:
Smelly McUgly":cuhzywkp said:
The more I think about it, the more I think Tate is gone. He and Decker are the two best WRs in a market where like six teams with tons of cap space also desperately need more WRs. Tate's gonna get overpaid by someone else.

But how many of those teams are going to look at a potential 12-14 deep starting rookie class and say we can get cheaper better through the draft?

I'm pretty sure that most of the teams I'm thinking of (OAK, JAX, CLE) need to reach their salary floor - they HAVE to spend that money due to the latest CBA agreement.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I've convinced myself he'll sign with the Jets. Today too.

jblaze

Reaction score
Coxal":1ex21hvk said:
Andre Roberts gets a 4 years, 16M (8M guaranteed)...

I guess Tate is looking AT LEAST for a 4/22M with 8M to 12M guaranteed. It would makes sense when you see what Roberts managed to deal.

That was the Redskins. I don't think anyone uses them as a precedent or interprets their FO moves as intelligent in any way.

plyka

Reaction score
jkitsune":203fcy0p said:
plyka":203fcy0p said:
Wenhawk":203fcy0p said:

I had the thought regarding TAte but not Bennett. I thought Tate just wanted to get on the fans "good side" so he made the "slightly lower" remark. Of course there is nothing holding him to that comment so it really doesn't matter what he says. Then if the Seahawks pick him up he can say he did give them a discount.

All that said, I highly doubt that Tate is coming back. Let's remember that the Hawks offered Bennett a contract BEFORE the 3 day period where other teams could talk to him started, Bennett refused it until today. With Tate, there was no contract offered. I really don't think that the Hawks are coming after him, because they believe Tate will be 4-6m, and he is too similar to the other WRs on this team: Baldwin, Percy, Kearse. This team cannot have those 4 as the WRs. They are great as a group but they are simply too similar. So they are going to open up a WR spot by not resigning Tate. Most likely a WR is picked in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft.

Let me ask you, if you had Kearse/Baldwin/Percy --all between 5'10'' and 6', would you bring Tate back on 5m per year?

Just curious, but it's my impression that you're essentially opining that all four of these wideouts are extremely similar on the basis that they are approximately the same height and (maybe) run about the same 40. Tate and Percy are the only two of those four that are similar to each other, IMO, and I'm not sure where you're drawing the comparison otherwise.

Yes, I would pay Tate $4-$5m a year. He has been Wilson's favored target, improved every year, and has the ability to be an elite receiver. The only thing preventing him from consistently being over 1,000 yards/year is the fact that this team ranked 31st in passing attempts last year, or he'd be in the 1,200 yard range and people wouldn't hesitate to do it.

He has absolutely no chance of being an elite WR. He should be in his prime already, do you consider Tate an elite receiver now? Elite wideout doesn't need to be a Calvin Johnson but at 5'10" you need something special like Percy has.

Calvin, Dez, demarius, Julio, aj green, alshon Jeffries, josh Gordon, Percy, etc. these are elite WR. They are players that defenses are forced to scheme for. Tate doesn't have the size, speed or skill to be in this convo. Any insinuation that he does based on stats that you make up out of thin air is not convincing.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":acutpued said:
I'm predicting he goes to Carolina. Hoping to be wrong again, and he stays here.

I predict the Jets, what with Idzik knowing him well. After they cut Wallace, they're desperate for dependable WR's. So if any team is going to overpay for a player like Tate, it's the Jets.

jblaze

Reaction score
Idzik does not overpay often, he may go to the Jets but I wouldn't expect them to overpay.

Status
Not open for further replies.