Quarterback options for 2024

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I’d trade for fields. Lock and a 5th rounder. Probably willing to throw in Adams also, but then they would only get a 6th round pick.
Sorry, Poles would have no interest in that deal.

I think Bears could trade Fields to Falcons, but we’ll see what happens.

flv2

Reaction score
The new head coach would be in line to draft one regardless and the Geno cut later would result in a bit less dead money. Depends on how competitive the next head coach wants to be.

Someone like Ben Johnson might really want to keep Geno, given the success he'd had with Goff and how analogous Geno is in caliber and playstyle to Goff for essentially the exact same price. These guys aren't going to want to start off losing, they don't have unlimited rope.
It's perfectly reasonable for a coach to want to keep a player regardless of whether he's value for money. Coaches want talent, especially at QB. The clock is ticking on a decision about Smith. Hopefully a new HC will be in place with time to make an informed input on the decision.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Sorry, Poles would have no interest in that deal.

I think Bears could trade Fields to Falcons, but we’ll see what happens.
I doubt they get much for him. If they hold onto him another year, they will just end up cutting him.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I was speaking about what I’d like for the Seahawks.

The Bears will draft Williams. There’s a 70% chance he is Mahomes 2.0. I don’t want to think about the other 30%.
I would go lower than 70% more like 25-50%. IMO Williams is very overrated especially the mental and when you put him in Chicago with their coaching staff. Playing in the Pac 12 where defense is an afterthought made Williams look better

I think Drake Maye is a better fit for Chicago

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I’d trade for fields. Lock and a 5th rounder. Probably willing to throw in Adams also, but then they would only get a 6th round pick.
Bears will want just draft picks Lock has no trade value

From what I have heard Fields trade value is a 3rd rd pick and a mid rd which could become a 2-3rd

ruffENrowdy

Reaction score
So, your argument is that despite the fact that Geno was much better in terms of actually playing and set the NFL record for go-ahead TD passes in 4th quarter/OT in a season, Drew had better post-game speeches, so he should start?

NFL players aren't fans with weird biases against their starting QB. The defense wasn't going to ball out if Pete Carroll puts in their backup QB for the rest of the season because they'd be inspired. They'd be thinking the team is tanking.

No, just saying I'd rather have a cheaper qb who can do the same job as the 30m qb lol. And the guy who is up beat and not pouting on the sideline.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I would go lower than 70% more like 25-50%. IMO Williams is very overrated especially the mental and when you put him in Chicago with their coaching staff. Playing in the Pac 12 where defense is an afterthought made Williams look better

I think Drake Maye is a better fit for Chicago
I didn’t pull that number out of a hat. A guy did the research on every QB drafted #1. 70% of them make All Pro, 4000+ yards, win playoff games, Etc.

It doesn’t make much difference for the others. I would not have expected that, but facts are facts.

I’d be surprised if Poles doesn’t draft Williams. Bears are used to a QB who scrambles all over the place.

Last edited:

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
Why do we keep seeing this suggestion? What is the point of 'rolling with Lock' when you don't view him as a QBOTF?

Geno performed essentially in the 11-15 range for QBs. His projected cap hit for next year is looking like #12 for QBs. In other words, we are essentially paying him his 'value'. (And that's if he doesn't restructure.)

We can't really say the same for Drew.

When Geno had his handful of games when Russ went down, he had some metrics where he fell short of Russ (QBR, ANY/A, Sack Rate), some where they were basically identical (Passer Rating, Success Rate) and was better in some others (Completion Percentage, Rushing Success Rate).

Drew was worse than Geno in every single one of those metrics. There were about a dozen backup QBs who had similar amounts of playing time (2-3 starts) and only 3 of them (Drew, PJ Walker, and Jaren Hall) failed to best their respective starter in at least ONE of those categories. Drew was one of the top paid backup QBs in the league and had the 35th largest QB cap hit.

Jaren Hall is on a 5th Round rookie contract and PJ Walker's cap hit across 2 different teams was still less than half of what the Seahawks paid Lock.

Drew gave us bottom quarter of the league backup play for top quarter of the league backup money and because of that Eagles drive that seems to have confused everyone to that fact, he's probably going to command even MORE.

So, the idea to 'roll with Lock' makes zero sense if you don't see him as the QBOTF.

Either you are full blown tanking, in which case you can get Drew Lock level production for much cheaper than Drew is going to cost or you want to stay competitive while keeping someone for your rookie QB to learn behind, in which case Geno makes far more sense than Drew does.
Geno sucks that's why, stop fooling yourself.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
The new head coach would be in line to draft one regardless and the Geno cut later would result in a bit less dead money. Depends on how competitive the next head coach wants to be.

Someone like Ben Johnson might really want to keep Geno, given the success he'd had with Goff and how analogous Geno is in caliber and playstyle to Goff for essentially the exact same price. These guys aren't going to want to start off losing, they don't have unlimited rope.
Totally disagree with the statement that Geno is the same caliber as Goff. The only thing Geno has better than Goff is mobility. Goff is much more decisive as a passer.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
No, just saying I'd rather have a cheaper qb who can do the same job as the 30m qb lol. And the guy who is up beat and not pouting on the sideline.
Except he can't do the same job. I literally just showed you that.

Geno sucks that's why, stop fooling yourself.
Ok, you got me with this well thought out argument.

It still doesn't explain why you want to overpay Lock but if your argument for that is as elegant as 'Geno sucks', I don't know what I'd be hoping for anyway...

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Bears will want just draft picks Lock has no trade value

From what I have heard Fields trade value is a 3rd rd pick and a mid rd which could become a 2-3rd
Lock is an unrestricted free agent.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
Why on earth would we over pay for Lock. He would come cheap, and save the franchise money. And would give about the same if not more than Geno at a lower cost.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Totally disagree with the statement that Geno is the same caliber as Goff. The only thing Geno has better than Goff is mobility. Goff is much more decisive as a passer.
Whatever you say, man. Pretty similar quarterbacks when the supporting cast is equal.

Geno has more arm talent.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Whatever you say, man. Pretty similar quarterbacks when the supporting cast is equal.

Geno has more arm talent.

To be fair what he’s saying isn’t crazy. Goff has been objectively better in his career than Geno has been. I think Goff is just a better QB but it’s probably closer than the Geno haters want to admit.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
To be fair what he’s saying isn’t crazy. Goff has been objectively better in his career than Geno has been. I think Goff is just a better QB but it’s probably closer than the Geno haters want to admit.
If you drop Geno behind Goff's line and give him Ben Johnson as his offensive playcaller, you're getting 2022 Geno or better, and easily.

Huh, go figure. That's exactly what Goff's stats look like this year.

Ozzy

Reaction score
If you drop Geno behind Goff's line and give him Ben Johnson as his offensive playcaller, you're getting 2022 Geno or better, and easily.

Huh, go figure. That's exactly what Goff's stats look like this year.
I’m not sure that’s the case. Even looking at their career stats Goff has been better. But I don’t think Geno’s supporting cast or Waldron is as bad as everyone else thinks. Again I’m not saying Geno is terrible but I think it’s a tough argument to say Geno is better than Goff.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I’m not sure that’s the case. Even looking at their career stats Goff has been better. But I don’t think Geno’s supporting cast or Waldron is as bad as everyone else thinks. Again I’m not saying Geno is terrible but I think it’s a tough argument to say Geno is better than Goff.
Didn't say he was better. That's just creeping toward strawman.

And yeah, I'm not using Geno's career stats. He's obviously not the quarterback he was 10 years ago. Goff has spent the majority of his career under hotshot offensive coaches, whereas Geno has been a backup after a rough start to his career.

For all intents and purposes, Geno is a different player entirely since he came into relief in 2021, and he ain't had the type of support that Goff has had his entire career from McVay and then the hottest OC in the league with a top OL in Detroit.

If we're going off of how the dudes actually play the game, they're incredibly analogous quarterbacks. Even the box score stats tell that story in 2022. Question is how much people want to attribute dipped 2023 stats to Geno inherently regressing (entirely too much on the whole lmao) vs. how much can be attributed to trying to succeed in spite of a horrid defense, horrid protection, and seldom utilized rushing attack (probably quite a bit given 2022!)

Ozzy

Reaction score
Didn't say he was better. That's just creeping toward strawman.

And yeah, I'm not using Geno's career stats. He's obviously not the quarterback he was 10 years ago. Goff has spent the majority of his career under hotshot offensive coaches, whereas Geno has been a backup after a rough start to his career.

For all intents and purposes, Geno is a different player entirely since he came into relief in 2021, and he ain't had the type of support that Goff has had his entire career from McVay and then the hottest OC in the league with a top OL in Detroit.

If we're going off of how the dudes actually play the game, they're incredibly analogous quarterbacks. Even the box score stats tell that story in 2022. Question is how much people want to attribute dipped 2023 stats to Geno inherently regressing (entirely too much on the whole lmao) vs. how much can be attributed to trying to succeed in spite of a horrid defense, horrid protection, and seldom utilized rushing attack (probably quite a bit given 2022!)

Alright well my bad you made it seem like the dude was crazy for saying Goff is better. I think the Geno we saw this year was the same Teno we saw the second half of last year and not so much because of the issues you listed BUT to be fair we don’t really know and I could very well be wrong. We just have 10 plus years of Geno vs half a season so to me, I think he is what he is this year for the most part. Sure he could be a little better if they fix the issues listed and if they keep him I hope that’s the case.

Anyway even though I don’t think Geno is as good as Goff I also don’t think he’s miles worse so I understand the argument. It’s well within the range of outcomes.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Why on earth would we over pay for Lock. He would come cheap, and save the franchise money. And would give about the same if not more than Geno at a lower cost.
Because we already are and he'll want more? He was one of the ONLY backups with 2-3 starts to not be able to surpass his starter in a wide variety of metrics: Completion percentage, success rate, passer rating, QBR, ANY/A, sack rate... he did worse than Geno in all of those.

Most backups have at least one thing they do that they pass their starter on just due differences in their style or the way defenses adjust to playing a backup.

Drew did not.

Geno is playing like a top 15 QB. He has a top 15 QB contract. He's not playing like a top 10 or top 5 QB (this year) but he doesn't have a top 10 or top 5 QB contract.

Drew played like a bottom 5 QB2. He has a top 5 QB2 contract. That's the definition of overpaying.