Golden Tate on KJ Wright's podcast

morgulon1

Reaction score
Point was, Tate saying that he would have given Schneider & Co. a "Hometown Discount" turned out to be absolutely untrue, or else he would have taken the seahawks offer, or at the very least, bartered for a little better contract, but instead, he took the 'More Money' that the Detroit Lions were offering up, eh?
I thought I heard him say the Seahawks offer was ridiculously low especially since they gave Harvin a 60MM contract.
Detroit gave #81 a 30MM 5 year deal
which I think he was well worth. I don't blame him for leaving.

Compared to that derelict Percy Harvin who played in 1 regular season game and then the super bowl. What a waste

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Whether he caught it or not, and I don't think there was enough to overturn a TD call, regular refs almost definitely call that OPI. Took out 3 defenders with one blatant shove. I recall the replacements saying that they were told under no circumstances to flag it on a Hail Mary, but the old timers almost certainly drop the yellow.
But what you must understand fatty, is that the law of averages caught up to Karma, and the right non-call by the temp's came out in favor of the Seahawks, who'd been getting the sh*tty end of the stick for 59+ minutes of the game, and I (along with tens-of-thousands of other Seahawks fans) felt absolutely just fine about the outcome.
GO TEMP'S!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I thought I heard him say the Seahawks offer was ridiculously low especially since they gave Harvin a 60MM contract.
Detroit gave #81 a 30MM 5 year deal
which I think he was well worth. I don't blame him for leaving.

Compared to that derelict Percy Harvin who played in 1 regular season game and then the super bowl. What a waste
Yeah, that was a great interview, and he did say that the offer was ridiculously low, but he obviously didn't try too hard to barter for a better contract.
GT's parting shot at Seattle (Wilson in particular) was that he was now catching balls from one of the best Quarterbacks that he'd ever played with; That statement sounded a whole lot like someone who felt abandoned & that he'd been thrown to the Media Wolves by his friend, over a supposed affair with his ex.
Giving Percy that contract was absolutely stupid on Schneider's part..Must have thought that he was going to become Mr. Play-Maker Extraordinaire lol.
Just conjecture on my part, but I do believe that with Tate's aggressive nature & style of play, and that if we had him in that SB game with the Patriots, we would have likely won on that final play.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
He said the rumor haunted him for years lol. Dude needs a psych eval if he let a baseless rumor eat away at him like that for years.
If he indeed did not bump uglies with Russ's ex, & felt that Russ wasn't believing him when he denied it happened, then I could see how he'd be bummed out about it.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Yeah, that was a great interview, and he did say that the offer was ridiculously low, but he obviously didn't try too hard to barter for a better contract.
GT's parting shot at Seattle (Wilson in particular) was that he was now catching balls from one of the best Quarterbacks that he'd ever played with; That statement sounded a whole lot like someone who felt abandoned & that he'd been thrown to the Media Wolves by his friend, over a supposed affair with his ex.
Giving Percy that contract was absolutely stupid on Schneider's part..Must have thought that he was going to become Mr. Play-Maker Extraordinaire lol.
Just conjecture on my part, but I do believe that with Tate's aggressive nature & style of play, and that if we had him in that SB game with the Patriots, we would have likely won on that final play.
Beautiful post my brotha.

I wonder if the low ball offer was a passive aggressive form of forcing him to leave ? Even Angry Doug spoke about the Seahawks bringing in Harvin and then paying him . I like Schneider but I have to agree that was not his best move.

themunn

Reaction score
He said the rumor haunted him for years lol. Dude needs a psych eval if he let a baseless rumor eat away at him like that for years.
I don't think it's so much the rumour as it is the fact that people believed it. It must hurt when you wake up in the morning and the fans that once loved you claim that the reason you left is because you slept with your friend's wife - and even though that friend says he doesn't believe it happened, he doesn't do anything to dispel the rumours.

There are probably people today who still believe he did it.

I thought he was a great player and gutted he left. But to date he is the only NFL player I've ever met, got him to sign my jersey and he will always have a special place in my heart

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I don't think it's so much the rumour as it is the fact that people believed it. It must hurt when you wake up in the morning and the fans that once loved you claim that the reason you left is because you slept with your friend's wife - and even though that friend says he doesn't believe it happened, he doesn't do anything to dispel the rumours.

I thought he was a great player and gutted he left. But to date he is the only NFL player I've ever met, got him to sign my jersey and he will always have a special place in my heart
Right, I get that. I thought he was brutally honest and basically stated what most of us figured as such. A lot of pro athletes have a fragile mentality which could turn out to be CTE related. I always liked GT as a player he had a lot of toughness

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
LOLOLOL "Low Ball Offer" / "Willing To Take Less", "Wanted to stay in Seattle", "Home Tow Discount" but took the MORE MONEY offered by the Lions, and so, left Seattle to go and team up with Matt Stafford, "Best Quarterback I've Ever played With" that statement, and his actual moving on to Detroit said A WHOLE LOT about his willingness to move on from Lord Wilson, eh?

He took the money from the Lions because Seattle wasnt even going to give him the discount money. Its not hard. Of course he wanted to stay in Seattle, they won football games. He knew that was going to be over in Detroit, but he left for more money. It was nothing more than a business deal. Believe it or not, not everything is Russell Wilsons fault.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
There are a lot of details that are murky and based on what Golden and his wife has said. I believe them. Logically it doesn't make sense. Golden held RW in high regard (at least he comes off that way to me). So it doesn't make sense he would cheat on his current wife with his friend's wife. But let's be honest, Ashton hasn't said anything about it either. If reference to denying the rumor. You'd think someone who is best friends with Elise (Golden's wife) would jump at the chance to clear their name. She hasn't. Maybe Russell is protecting Ashton as she is his ex-wife. Just a thought to look at this from a different angle. Russell is an easy target on here based on how things have occurred during his tenure as a Seahawk.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score

I'm of the belief that if somebody doesnt come out to dispel the truth then there is either some doubt or genuine truth to the subject. Not saying Tate did what was rumored but something went on there.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And it's none of our business what happened. As usual, dwelling on crap that happened a decade or so ago..........typical.
Not sure why people are so obsessed with this story.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
You didn't watch the slomo replays?

Saw it live and saw it a million times after. What are you trying to point out? The possession isnt in question as the ball was wrestled away from the defender. Its the push off that cant be defended.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
We won the game. Was it a catch? Maybe, maybe not. Who cares? The fact that Erin and the Packers fans still whine about it makes it even better.
To this day, I still laugh every time I see a highlight of it. Seeing the two replacement refs giving a different signal is classic.
Zero doubt it was a push off. Good, Eff the Packers.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
And it's none of our business what happened. As usual, dwelling on crap that happened a decade or so ago..........typical.
Not sure why people are so obsessed with this story.
While you are correct it's none of our business. This particular topic is always drummed by the media. Gee Scott chose to bring up this topic during the podcast. There are people who believe that if you're in the public eye, then you can't have a private life. They want to know what color your poop was and when you did it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Absolutely, it will always be a mystery. Just depends on if you care or not about what other people do with every last thing in their life.

rcaido

Reaction score

He did try to barter. I remember him talking about it in the radio station right after the signing that summer. He said he would take less than the Lions offer but the front office did not budge on their initial offer. Thinking back now, i dont really get why they went after Percy Harvin. Golden Tate was pretty much the same but way cheaper. They chose a guy not right in the head, apparently a locker room distraction, injury prone, & even sat himself out of games. Unbelievable, that 2013 draft was pretty good. With that 1st round these receivers/TE were available Hopkins, Patterson, Woods, Keenan Allen, Ertz, Eifrit, Kelce, & Reed.

OP
OP
T

Torc

Reaction score
I had totally forgotten the donut thefts. That was some pretty funny stuff. Clearly, illegal and theft and he probably scared the donut chef out of her mind......but years later, a pretty darn funny story. :)

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Saw it live and saw it a million times after. What are you trying to point out? The possession isnt in question as the ball was wrestled away from the defender. Its the push off that cant be defended.
YEah, missed calls, but that's not what it was all about.