Geno Isn't the Guy. Sad to Say (Main)

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Never happen, like we will never draft a 1st rd CB?? Geno is on thin ice. I agree Pete sticks up for his QB to a fault, but Pete isn't a guy that stands for not protecting the ball. I don't see this improving with the D's we have coming up? I'm also betting we see Lock soon.

Pete will nerf the offense before benching Geno. As for Lock, what makes you think he'll be any better protecting the ball? Guy has almost as many picks as he does touchdowns in his career.

Xxx

Reaction score
Can't run the ball when they've loaded the box.

Opponents have figured out, if you load the box on 1st and 2nd down--and dare Geno to beat them, he can't do it.

This strategy is going to be seen every week going forward. There is a blueprint.

Defense gassed out due to being on the field all game.

The centerpiece of their problems is Geno Smith.

Anyone obsolving blame from Geno Smith in this game and the last 4 games is a real piece of work.
I agree the defense gassed out. After the first quarter it was 0-0. Then we gave up some points but then we started stopping them and even got a turnover, but we went 3 and out. The longer the defense had to stay out there the worse it got and by the end the points didn’t matter cause they done and it was over. Our defense should have pride at the end, but they took the ball three times and geno spoiled them all

Xxx

Reaction score
The Ravens' two losses came at the hands of the Colts and the Steelers, two teams that are not considered top tier. They are a very good team but not anywhere near the dominant category you're putting them into, at least not yet.

The "Real Pill" needs to be taken by those who continue to rationalize poor performances as being the result of their opponents being 'that good.'
Yeah I didn’t feel like they were “that good” our defense was doing well in the first quarter but then we just couldn’t get a first down and they kept punching us in the face with those runs. All a sudden they had 100 yards in the first half, but even at half time it was just a two score game, I kept waiting for the offense and the play calling to show up and just when it looked like it would (dk for 50) something stupid would happen. Hawks made this game worse than it was by mistakes as a team, but also geno. I think the team can improve on their mistakes as a whole, but geno is who he is. My lament is I don’t believe in geno and so it all feels like a waste. What do you do when you know you don’t have the quarterback? Just wait? I traded him on madden. Got a 5th round pick

Xxx

Reaction score
People jumping out the window for Geno "This one's on me." (AGAIN) Smith.

Has been one of the funniest things I've ever witnessed on this site.

It's G-E-N-O S-M-I-T-H.

Y'Know the guy that through his first 9 seasons he had more career INTs than TD's. The first half of last season was a miracle, AND a lack of film on him.

He currently sits at 7 INTs for this season, which is another miracle due to mastering the art of dropped pick 6's. He is a turnover waiting to happen.

View attachment 61670

For me. 1 more start. If he craps all over himself against the Commies, then he is wasting everyone's time.

He plays mid, and they win, 1 more start, etc.

Regardless, inside the VMAC the thought is there to pull him, but only a thought.

I think they will not look to pull him until they have a losing record, even then, Pete might just go down with the ship.
And miss the playoffs entirely for

G-E-N-O S-M-I-T-H.

Which has me thinking, why pay Locke premium backup money? Should've just found a league minimum guy to hold the clipboard instead.
Cause they know they might need lock

Rosco

Reaction score
Pete will nerf the offense before benching Geno. As for Lock, what makes you think he'll be any better protecting the ball? Guy has almost as many picks as he does touchdowns in his career.
And Geno had 19 TDs 36 picks before Seattle. By your logi, Lock should be better

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
And Geno had 19 TDs 36 picks before Seattle. By your logi, Lock should be better

Ok. By your logic, Lock will be playing soon so I guess we'll find out if he's a better alternative than Geno.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Do we really need 61 pages of comments to determine what the obvious?

Geno is not a terrible QB, but he is certainly not going to take this team like people want him too. Barring injury, he is the starting QB. There just isn’t a better option right now.

This team is not going to the playoffs and if by some wild miracle they do, they’re one and done.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yeah I didn’t feel like they were “that good” our defense was doing well in the first quarter but then we just couldn’t get a first down and they kept punching us in the face with those runs. All a sudden they had 100 yards in the first half, but even at half time it was just a two score game, I kept waiting for the offense and the play calling to show up and just when it looked like it would (dk for 50) something stupid would happen. Hawks made this game worse than it was by mistakes as a team, but also geno. I think the team can improve on their mistakes as a whole, but geno is who he is. My lament is I don’t believe in geno and so it all feels like a waste. What do you do when you know you don’t have the quarterback? Just wait? I traded him on madden. Got a 5th round pick
I pretty much agree. Even though the defense obviously didn't have one of their better outings, I felt that they played well enough to at least keep the game competitive had the offense been something other than completely ineffective.

I'm certainly not a big Geno fan, either. For some reason, he's become more hesitant, doesn't deliver the ball when he hits his back foot like he did last year. He double clutches more. By taking more time, he ends up throwing into tight windows or gets passes batted down. You're not as likely to get a pass batted down if you're throwing on a quick rhythm while a DL is still half bent over, concentrating on the player in front of him, and makes his initial contact with the OL. By my estimation, Geno's taking about 20% longer to get rid of the ball than he did last year.

Xxx

Reaction score
I pretty much agree. Even though the defense obviously didn't have one of their better outings, I felt that they played well enough to at least keep the game competitive had the offense been something other than completely ineffective.

I'm certainly not a big Geno fan, either. For some reason, he's become more hesitant, doesn't deliver the ball when he hits his back foot like he did last year. He double clutches more. By taking more time, he ends up throwing into tight windows or gets passes batted down. You're not as likely to get a pass batted down if you're throwing on a quick rhythm while a DL is still half bent over, concentrating on the player in front of him, and makes his initial contact with the OL. By my estimation, Geno's taking about 20% longer to get rid of the ball than he did last year.
I saw somebody break down stats that said exactly that 20% longer.

Wheetie

Reaction score
I'll play devil's advocate here. Sure, they both look like turnover machines, but what Lock offers is speed and mobility in spades which, all things being equal, could make the offense way more dynamic with his escapability and also his ability to run for good gains. I certainly don't think he would be worse at the passing game with the way Geno is playing right now.

Rosco

Reaction score
Do we really need 61 pages of comments to determine what the obvious?

Geno is not a terrible QB, but he is certainly not going to take this team like people want him too. Barring injury, he is the starting QB. There just isn’t a better option right now.

This team is not going to the playoffs and if by some wild miracle they do, they’re one and done.
If Geno the jet keeps turning the ball over, everyone will find out whether Lock is the better option.

LTH

Reaction score
Can't run the ball when they've loaded the box.

Opponents have figured out, if you load the box on 1st and 2nd down--and dare Geno to beat them, he can't do it.

This strategy is going to be seen every week going forward. There is a blueprint.

Defense gassed out due to being on the field all game.

The centerpiece of their problems is Geno Smith.

Anyone obsolving blame from Geno Smith in this game and the last 4 games is a real piece of work.
Any team that can't run the ball (13 for 29) against a D like the Ravens can expect a hellacious pass Rush. To beat the Ravens you have to make that D line respect the run.The Seahawks O line could not handle the Ravens front 7 period.

It's not Geno's fault the Hawks can't Run the Ball

It's NOT Geno's fault the o line can't pick up the blitz or stunts. If ir were not for Geno's athleticism he would have got sacked 7 or 8 times instead of 4

That's just a fact looking at it any other way is intellectually irresponsible and dishonest LOL

LTH

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Both Lock and Geno have everything you would want in a QB.

Size, Arm strength, mobility......The problem with both of them is the ability to read defenses and make the throws to the correct option.

Some QBs can be taught this through film studies and training.

if they can't grasp it, the OC has to dumb down the play calling.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I'll play devil's advocate here. Sure, they both look like turnover machines, but what Lock offers is speed and mobility in spades which, all things being equal, could make the offense way more dynamic with his escapability and also his ability to run for good gains. I certainly don't think he would be worse at the passing game with the way Geno is playing right now.

Before I comment I have to admit that I havent paid much attention to Lock, but I do feel Geno is a capable scrambler when he chooses to do so. I believe he concentrates on the execution of the play so much though that he just doesnt run when its there for the taking.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Before I comment I have to admit that I havent paid much attention to Lock, but I do feel Geno is a capable scrambler when he chooses to do so. I believe he concentrates on the execution of the play so much though that he just doesnt run when its there for the taking.
This is his biggest obstacle as a player. It's not that he plays dumb, it's that he thinks too much. Leads to tunnel vision.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
My thoughts are as follows.

The reality is that Geno Smith is a player who is capable of everything you need him to be capable of, and he gave you a fantastic 2022 year well beyond what could've been reasonably expected - even by Geno homers like me. It wasn't just good play. It was a story to root for and an example of the redemptive culture of the franchise.

More than that, his performance during that 2022 year smoothed over what could've been a year filled with doubt after that trade, which I still maintain was necessary and correct. In a way, Geno's story and confidence in himself may have laid the groundwork for a possible championship run down the line. Just like T-Jacks season with a torn pec in 2011 helped bring a rowdy group together back in the day.

With that said, they didn't put that out in his contract in there for shits and giggles. They did it because there was a chance they'd need it to compete.

He wasn't given much to work with in Baltimore. I'm going to write that off under "they got blown the hell out, dawg. happens." just like I did for the Rams game in 2017. But the cracks are showing.

There needs to be something to build on from this point forward, or that out is going to be taken, and that'll also have been the right thing to do. Regardless, I'll always be a Geno fan after 2022, unless he Brandon Browners out or something.

There's objectivity, and there's fandom. I try to separate the two, because I enjoy the game of football from both an emotional and a thought perspective. I separated the two in the 2022 preseason, I separated them when I hopped off the Russ wagon, and I'll separate them now.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
A little random and out of left field, but just pointing this out and piggybacking onto a discussion from earlier in this thread. QBR is a joke, and should never be used.

Right now, Gardner Minshew in QBR ranks ahead of:

Jared Goff, Kirk Cousins, Lamar Jackson, CJ Stroud, Trevor Lawrence, and Joe Burrow. LOL

In Passer Rating, Minshew ranks ahead of: None of them. As he should.

QBR is a more accurate ranking of offensive system strength, than actual QB play itself.

Geno QBR: 16th ranked
Geno Passer Rating: 20th ranked

I had Geno as the 18th best QB going into the Baltimore game.

Afterward, 20th sounds about right. He's definitely not 16th right now.

--------

With that, this has to be a get right game for Geno upcoming against the Commies.

WAS has a bottom 7 defense going into the NE game, and they traded their top 2 edge rushers.

With the Hawks coming off an embarrassing performance, the whole building is on high alert to get things right on Sunday from the coaches to the players.

He has to perform well, it's all set up for him to do so.

knownone

Reaction score
A little random and out of left field, but just pointing this out and piggybacking onto a discussion from earlier in this thread. QBR is a joke, and should never be used.

Right now, Gardner Minshew in QBR ranks ahead of:

Jared Goff, Kirk Cousins, Lamar Jackson, CJ Stroud, Trevor Lawrence, and Joe Burrow. LOL

In Passer Rating, Minshew ranks ahead of: None of them. As he should.

QBR is a more accurate ranking of offensive system strength, than actual QB play itself.

Geno QBR: 16th ranked
Geno Passer Rating: 20th ranked

I had Geno as the 18th best QB going into the Baltimore game.

Afterward, 20th sounds about right. He's definitely not 16th right now.

--------

With that, this has to be a get right game for Geno upcoming against the Commies.

WAS has a bottom 7 defense going into the NE game, and they traded their top 2 edge rushers.

With the Hawks coming off an embarrassing performance, the whole building is on high alert to get things right on Sunday from the coaches to the players.

He has to perform well, it's all set up for him to do so.
What about Patrick Mahomes? 11th in Passer Rating. 3rd in QBR. Is Reid's system carrying him? Josh Allen? 8th in Passer Rating. 2nd in QBR.

QBR is not a ranking system. It's a metric that measures QB performance. It's not a definitive measure, and there will always be examples that don't match what you see on the field. But that's not what it was designed for.