Geno Isn't the Guy. Sad to Say (Main)

knownone

Reaction score
At this point, the QBR hate is just silly. It's similar to people arguing that FICO scores don't reflect someone's creditworthiness because they fail to account for future earnings potential or some other such nonsense.

QBR is a metric. Not a QB Power Ranking. If you view it for what it is, you won't have any issues.

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
KJ had an interesting point on his podcast the other day. People are literally chanting Geno, Geno in the stands and he doesn't remember that ever happening for our other QBs. Maybe the fans are not as negative about him as some here.
Geno has a good story… Could become epic in 8 weeks…

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
At this point, the QBR hate is just silly. It's similar to people arguing that FICO scores don't reflect someone's creditworthiness because they fail to account for future earnings potential or some other such nonsense.

QBR is a metric. Not a QB Power Ranking. If you view it for what it is, you won't have any issues.
A terrible metric.

it have you taking Minshew over Borrow.

knownone

Reaction score
A terrible metric.

it have you taking Minshew over Borrow.
IIRC, QBR correlates more with winning than any other metric.

No. Minshew grades better in QBR. That doesn't mean Minshew is better than Burrow or anyone is taking Minshew over Burrow. If you're going to rely on one thing, you'd be better off using PFF or a service that aggregates grades based on multiple criteria/metrics. If you want a snapshot of a quarterback's passing efficiency and performance in critical situations, then QBR is an excellent place to start.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
IIRC, QBR correlates more with winning than any other metric.

No. Passer Rating Differential correlates with winning more than any other metric.

Which makes sense. Your QB killed it, their QB crapped the bed.

No. Minshew grades better in QBR. That doesn't mean Minshew is better than Burrow or anyone is taking Minshew over Burrow.

That is the point I've been making the whole time. Jesus Christ.

If you're going to rely on one thing, you'd be better off using PFF or a service that aggregates grades based on multiple criteria/metrics.

PFF is trash for skill & perimeter positions . It does a better job of telling you who is playing in the better scheme. Than the individual player itself.

Unless you believe the SF secondary is better than the Seahawks by a great margin. That's how PFF has it. A couple weeks back (I haven't seen the updated grades.) they had a 90 grade on the SF secondary for the season, and SEA's was in the high 60's, low 70's? I'll take Seattle's secondary, thank you.

PFF grades are good for quick and dirty look at trench play. Watching film on all of the big guys is arduous and takes a lot of work. Even then if you watch the film there will be some contention.

I also love their TWP's, again, quick and dirty way to look at who is not taking care of the football, without having to watch every snap across the league to find out for yourself.

If you want a snapshot of a quarterback's passing efficiency and performance in critical situations, then QBR is an excellent place to start.

Subjective, garbage. Which spits out Minshew grading higher than all but 7 QBs in the league.

knownone

Reaction score
No. Passer Rating Differential correlates with winning more than any other metric.

Which makes sense. Your QB killed it, their QB crapped the bed.

That is the point I've been making the whole time. Jesus Christ.

PFF is trash for skill & perimeter positions . It does a better job of telling you who is playing in the better scheme. Than the individual player itself.

Unless you believe the SF secondary is better than the Seahawks by a great margin. That's how PFF has it. A couple weeks back (I haven't seen the updated grades.) they had a 90 grade on the SF secondary for the season, and SEA's was in the high 60's, low 70's? I'll take Seattle's secondary, thank you.

PFF grades are good for quick and dirty look at trench play. Watching film on all of the big guys is arduous and takes a lot of work. Even then if you watch the film there will be some contention.

I also love their TWP's, again, quick and dirty way to look at who is not taking care of the football, without having to watch every snap across the league to find out for yourself.

Subjective, garbage. Which spits out Minshew grading higher than all but 7 QBs in the league.
Alright.

A) Despite the name, Passer Rating Differential is not designed for QB evaluation. It's a fricken differential. And Google tells me QBR was 2nd behind EPA (which makes sense).

B) If you've been making that point the whole time, why do you keep complaining about QBR? (See E)

C) Grades/metrics/stats/whatever will never accurately capture a player or team's performance. That doesn't mean they are useless, trash, or some other negative. They are tools. And, as is the case with QBR, they are not meant to be used as definitive rankings. They can be used to inform evaluations, which is what many of us have used them for (combined with other sources).

D) Our secondary is young and talented, but they haven't been consistently good, which is reflected in their evaluation. Meanwhile, the Niners' secondary is ranked higher in several areas other than PFF.

E) QBR is not subjective. Write that down. And yes, I know you think weighted values are subjective, but remember, Passer Rating also has weighted values. So if you're going to use that argument—and let's be clear, it's a dubious argument—you'd also be invalidating the metric you value. Also, Mishew is 12th in QBR, not 8th.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Alright.

A) Despite the name, Passer Rating Differential is not designed for QB evaluation. It's a fricken differential. And Google tells me QBR was 2nd behind EPA (which makes sense).

B) If you've been making that point the whole time, why do you keep complaining about QBR? (See E)

C) Grades/metrics/stats/whatever will never accurately capture a player or team's performance. That doesn't mean they are useless, trash, or some other negative. They are tools. And, as is the case with QBR, they are not meant to be used as definitive rankings. They can be used to inform evaluations, which is what many of us have used them for (combined with other sources).

D) Our secondary is young and talented, but they haven't been consistently good, which is reflected in their evaluation. Meanwhile, the Niners' secondary is ranked higher in several areas other than PFF.

E) QBR is not subjective. Write that down. And yes, I know you think weighted values are subjective, but remember, Passer Rating also has weighted values. So if you're going to use that argument—and let's be clear, it's a dubious argument—you'd also be invalidating the metric you value. Also, Mishew is 12th in QBR, not 8th.
Now he's 12th, back when I made the original post he was 8th.

Passer rating doesn't decide a throw is more or less based on situation. It's just very plain. QBR does, which is it's down fall. Also by trying to factor in other things other than passing it becomes very subjective by nature.

Passer rating is flawed, but the highest rated passers of all-time happen also to be the best QBs of their era's. So it isn't that flawed in the grand scheme of things.

The 49ers secondary isn't good. Their fan base was desperate to trade for a DB, it's the weakest element of their team. Outside of OL, which is everyone's weakest unit.

PFF worshippers, don't know ball. Anyone who watches film consistently disagrees with their grades.

I honestly can't believe it has gained so much traction over the years. 10 years ago, if you tried to cite PFF grade in an argument you'd be laughed out of the room.

My, how times have changed.

https://x.com/PFF_Broncos/status/1725573293065789772?t=s4nQYZUgfgdFf-rii7alZQ&s=09

Russell Wilson isn't the best red zone QB in the league if I'm doing the grades, but PFF thinks so, so it must be true.

I'm done arguing with people who cite QBR, and PFF. As actual arguments.

Xxx

Reaction score

Passer rating doesn't decide a throw is more or less based on situation. It's just very plain. QBR does, which is it's down fall. Also by trying to factor in other things other than passing it becomes very subjective by nature.

Passer rating is flawed, but the highest rated passers of all-time happen also to be the best QBs of their era's. So it isn't that flawed in the grand scheme of things.

The 49ers secondary isn't good. Their fan base was desperate to trade for a DB, it's the weakest element of their team. Outside of OL, which is everyone's weakest unit.

PFF worshippers, don't know ball. Anyone who watches film consistently disagrees with their grades.

I honestly can't believe it has gained so much traction over the years. 10 years ago, if you tried to cite PFF grade in an argument you'd be laughed out of the room.

https://x.com/PFF_Broncos/status/1725573293065789772?t=s4nQYZUgfgdFf-rii7alZQ&s=09

Russell Wilson isn't the best red zone QB in the league if I'm doing the grades, but PFF thinks so, so it must be true.

I think the rams secondary is terrible too so that’s not good news

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
You've quoted PFF so, so many times man. Opportunity to be humble here and make a point by acknowledging your previous reliance on PFF grades in arguments and why it was flawed.

knownone

Reaction score

Let's do this again.

A) Minshew is 10th currently, and he was 12th when you made that post. Maybe you were looking at something else? I don't know.

B) You're essentially arguing that a quarterback who puts up stats in a 30-point loss should have the same weighted value as a quarterback with similar stats in a close game. And that's why PR is better? Okay. I'll take the measurement that considers every play and its context.

C) Kirk Cousins, Dak Prescott, and Jimmy G are rated higher in career PR than Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. But you're critical of QBR because Minshew grades slightly above average? Fascinating.

D) I don't care what Niners fans think of their secondary. Statistically, the 49ers secondary is good in several areas. Maybe that's a product of their pass rush, and it's certainly worth considering and looking into. But I'm not putting much—if any—weight on what a team's fanbase thinks.

E) Who worships PFF? Do you have an example of what that looks like?

F) I have no issues acknowledging that Russell grades well in PFF. Nothing has changed. I won't discredit a tool because it doesn't suit my viewpoint. That's silly.