Geno Isn't the Guy. Sad to Say (Main)

RiverDog

Reaction score
What about Patrick Mahomes? 11th in Passer Rating. 3rd in QBR. Is Reid's system carrying him? Josh Allen? 8th in Passer Rating. 2nd in QBR.

QBR is not a ranking system. It's a metric that measures QB performance. It's not a definitive measure, and there will always be examples that don't match what you see on the field. But that's not what it was designed for.
QBR is both a metric that measures QB performance and a ranking system. Any time you assign a numeric value to individual subject then list them in order according to that value, it's a ranking system.

Currently, according to their QBR, the #1 ranked quarterback is Josh Allen.

I don't agree with that ranking, for a couple of reasons. First of all, Allen has thrown a league high 9 interceptions. Secondly, his team is just 5-4, and the quarterback is the single most influential position on the field. Two weeks ago, his team had a really bad loss, to the Patriots who had won just one game, and to the Jets in the opener when Rodgers was hurt on the very first series. Allen threw 3 interceptions in that loss.

I'm not saying that the QBR is invalid. It's a metric that can be used, in combination with other metrics like passer rating, TD:INT ratio, completion percentage, etc, to help paint a picture of a quarterback's overall performance and effect on his team's success. All I'm saying is that isn't a gold standard. Like any other stat, it has its weaknesses.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
What about Patrick Mahomes? 11th in Passer Rating. 3rd in QBR. Is Reid's system carrying him? Josh Allen? 8th in Passer Rating. 2nd in QBR.

QBR is not a ranking system. It's a metric that measures QB performance. It's not a definitive measure, and there will always be examples that don't match what you see on the field. But that's not what it was designed for.
He just makes stuff up. He's the Mel Kiper of .net.

LTH

Reaction score
Both Lock and Geno have everything you would want in a QB.

Size, Arm strength, mobility......The problem with both of them is the ability to read defenses and make the throws to the correct option.

Some QBs can be taught this through film studies and training.

if they can't grasp it, the OC has to dumb down the play calling.
I disagree Geno has shown in the past he can read defenses very well. The problem vs the Ravens is that is a veteran D that is VERY GOOD at mixing and disguising coverages and they just kicked Seattle's butt schematically along with being more physical than the Seahawks.

LTH

knownone

Reaction score
QBR is both a metric that measures QB performance and a ranking system. Any time you assign a numeric value to individual subject then list them in order according to that value, it's a ranking system.

I don't agree with that ranking, for a couple of reasons. First of all, Allen has thrown a league high 9 interceptions. Secondly, his team is just 5-4, and the quarterback is the single most influential position on the field. Two weeks ago, his team had a really bad loss, to the Patriots who had won just one game, and to the Jets in the opener when Rodgers was hurt on the very first series. Allen threw 3 interceptions in that loss.

I'm not saying that the QBR is invalid. It's a metric that can be used, in combination with other metrics like passer rating, TD:INT ratio, completion percentage, etc, to help paint a picture of a quarterback's overall performance and effect on his team's success. All I'm saying is that isn't a gold standard. Like any other stat, it has its weaknesses.
Sure. If you want to use a broad definition, any metric that can be sorted is technically a ranking system. That wasn't my point, though. And let's be clear: no one said QBR was the gold standard of QB evaluation. I'm arguing it's not a joke and does, in fact, measure QB performance.

QBR's rankings are a byproduct of its evaluation. It wasn't designed to rank the best QBs like a power ranking; it was designed to evaluate them against a historical average using QBR. It's effectively measuring a quarterback's situational efficiency and points added. If you use it expecting something other than what it measures, you are using the table to measure the ruler.

morgulon1

Reaction score

Nice RDog

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I disagree Geno has shown in the past he can read defenses very well. The problem vs the Ravens is that is a veteran D that is VERY GOOD at mixing and disguising coverages and they just kicked Seattle's butt schematically along with being more physical than the Seahawks.

LTH
"More Physical"+ BIGGER AND nastier...To the tune of being THE BEST DEFENSE in the NFL.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I see him consistently missing wide open guys. The last guy did that too. It's maddening.
Plus, Defenses (especially the really good ones) are disguising their D-Schemes that Neither Russ nor Geno are/were adept at picking up on the Bullrushes on their Rag-Tag Offensive Lines, Geno especially gets Rattled & jumpy when the Defenses goes Man Cover, and rather than just throwing the ball away, or eating it, he throws the Dummy ball and gets picked off for a wtf decision.
Geno isn't a bad QB, he just needs for things to be aligned much better for him to succeed...Sounds easy enough BUT, GOOD defensive Coordinators aren't going to give him a moment of rest in or out of the pockets.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score

Yes. Reid's system makes him look better. Thus his high QBR.

Everyone is in universal agreement Mahomes is having a down year.

His Passer Rating reflects that. QBR doesn't.

knownone

Reaction score
Yes. Reid's system makes him look better. Thus his high QBR.

Everyone is in universal agreement Mahomes is having a down year.

His Passer Rating reflects that. QBR doesn't.
Why is Mahomes having a down year? Kansas City leads the league in drops. Mahomes QBR reflects that. His passer rating does not. Furthermore, he has the highest EPA on third & long in the league. His QBR reflects that. His passer rating does not.

LTH

Reaction score
Geno is the guy..happy to say...
I think Geno has some things to work out like being consistently accurate , especially when he is under pressure. But he is coming along and today he was VERY clutch when it counted and that's three games this year I've seen it. He is getting better every game minus the Ravens.

renofox

Reaction score
Geno is the guy..happy to say...
The guy...

who can maybe be good enough to get the Seahawks a WC spot? Maybe.

who can take the Seahawks on a deep playoff run? NFW

who plays like crap for 1/2 to 3/4 of the game 80%+ of the time? Yup.

who needs to be replaced? Agree.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Josh Allen being #1 in QBR, or anywhere near that, makes it a joke.

Anyone citing QBR needs to watch the film. It almost never lines up.

I've been doing this for years, and quickly realized QBR belonged in the dumpster.

QBR is the only stat I know of where a QB can be genuinely having a bad season and rank higher than others having much better seasons. (See my Minshew post.)

Mahomes had a bunch of nobodies at WR last year, and was much better last year. I have 2 eyeballs.

If Geno's QBR were 10 points higher it wouldn'tmean anything (see Josh Allen.) If his Passer Rating were 10 points higher, he'd be a Pro Bowler, and the Seahawks would be 7-2 or 8-1.

rcaido

Reaction score
QBR is an ESPN stat. They are the only ones who count it.

The highest recorded QBR score in NFL history is by a guy name Charlie Batch. He scored a 99.9 out of 100 by throwing 187yards, 3td, 2 interceptions

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
GO!!!… GENO!!!…
He’s gonna be Buzz Lightyear come January…

BASF

Reaction score
KJ had an interesting point on his podcast the other day. People are literally chanting Geno, Geno in the stands and he doesn't remember that ever happening for our other QBs. Maybe the fans are not as negative about him as some here.