Flynn traded for 2 picks - via Glazer/Twitter

TheLargentLine

Reaction score
I like this move. I believe that the FO can add quality players that will contribute to this team and plus we can use the money towards something else like extending Kam or whatever it may be. Also, I am glad that Flynn will get a chance to start, assuming he can beat out Pryor, and I believe he will.

Of course had I thought we could get a 2nd or I think I even saw at least one person mention a 1st round pick, I would probably be upset too. No way was that going to happen.

To those of you who say that the Seahawks did not get equal value on this deal, I ask you this: How do you figure? Based on what? Based on YOUR OWN perception of what Flynn is worth? I promise you that Flynn's value is far different from a lot of the point of views on this site as it is with GMs across the league and I think JS has proven that he knows what he is doing...

I understand also that some of you may think having a quality backup is more important than dumping his salary to another team and adding two picks. I obviously don't think so, but time will tell... I am confident we can add a quality backup one way or another and hopefully we will not have to use them because even if we had kept Flynn, the only way this team is going to win a SB is with Wilson behind center.

kearly

Reaction score
Great trade for both teams. Especially Seattle if it's true they got two fifth rounders.

General Manager

Reaction score
We didn't get a pick this year the more i hear about this the more i don't like it.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I'm sure it has been said a few times, but we just freed up a ton of money to sign our young currently inexpensive defensive players to extensions..... Fingers crossed that Wilson won't go down this year, but regardless if it was Matt Flynn or QB2 who we sign in the near future, they would be running an offense similar to what we saw at the start of the season.

The other half of this trade is to do right by Flynn. PC has said many times he wants 'his guys' to have the best shot they can get and since it is very obvious Flynn will never get a starting chance here, he gave him his chance in Oakland. Considering this is probably the best offer we got for Flynn, a lot of you need to reconsider just how 'good' Flynn really is.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
mistaowen":2r09szw3 said:
Considering this is probably the best offer we got for Flynn, a lot of you need to reconsider just how 'good' Flynn really is.

While I agree with your overall sentiment, that's not quite fair to Flynn. The truth is that we don't know how good Flynn is, but what we got for him on the open market doesn't prove his ability one way or the other.

Hell, Cliff Avril just got 2/13M on the open market; does that mean that he's not that "good," or does it just mean that the market for DEs, like the market for unproven QBs, is a bear market right now?

seacat1

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Flynn restructured his contract? If not maybe this is why we didn't get more for him.

TheLargentLine

Reaction score
General Manager":11jvxieo said:
We got hosed on this deal .

Everyone understood you the first time. Maybe add some value to your post rather than basically repeat the same thing 3 times.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LymonHawk":3k67yl6o said:
I'm not saying the QB is not the most important player on the field; only that he's not the ONLY player on the field. History backs me up; a backup QB can get you to the SB.

History does not back you up. You pointed out the exception, not the rule. If 10 of the previous 15 Superbowl winners were with journeymen backups, then your point would be valid. Just saying that it's POSSIBLE that we can get to the Superbowl with a backup QB because it happened 5-6 times in 40 years doesn't mean anything other than it's statistically possible.

Here are the facts, the last 10 Superbowl winning QB's were;

Brady
Brady
Roethlisberger
Petyon Manning
Eli Manning
Roethlisberger
Brees
Rodgers
Eli Manning
Flacco

ALL of these QB's are considered Elite QB's, or at least in the top 6-7 of the entire league. Can you get the SB without an elite QB? Sure. What are the odds of that happening? Slim to none.

kearly

Reaction score
McGruff":1jfwm05e said:
Seahawk Sailor":1jfwm05e said:
If I'm correct, getting a 5th next year is the value of a 6th this year. And a 5th the year after is the value of a 7th this year. More or less. So essentially a 6th and 7th rounder and some money off the books for losing a premier backup? Not seeing it. With the economy what it is, they'd have gotten better value asking for a Happy Meal.

Of course, today being what it is and all...

Yeah that's the way the value chart works, but who cares. Two fifths is two fifths.

Exactly. By the value chart logic, the 2009 future 1st trade (that got us Earl Thomas) was just a pedestrian move.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":11t0on1h said:
Whitehurst Trade: Seahawks drop down significantly in the 2nd round and surrender a 3rd round pick to acquire a third-string QB
Flynn Trade: Seahawks acquire two future fifth round picks and surrender a borderline starting QB

I know the trades were different for different reasons but Schneider is not exactly Trump with the art of the deal. Apart from the Marshawn Lynch trade, I think he has overpaid or undersold on most of his trades. I wonder if his rep around the league is a soft touch who will cave the moment another team plays hardball? Great talent evaluator and cap manager, great in free agency, but a poor negotiator IMO.

Also, what was the urgency? Wouldn't it have been smarter to at least wait til after the draft, when teams that missed the rookie QBs they were targeting were desperate for an arm? Or wait til mini-camps for a QB to get hurt? I'm sure there was a logical reason to do the deal now but what was it?

Chris Clemons worked out pretty well for us though. What else really is there besides Whitehurst? I wasn't expecting much value out of Aaron Curry were you?

The market for QBs was different even 3 years ago and Kolb pretty much ruined the value for Backup QBs. I wouldn't think he has the rep you suggest because of the rumors of players we were interested in that we did not go after like Palmer from the Bengals and Kolb from the Eagles.

I think many people are overvaluing the market for Flynn.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
This is great. We got Flynn for nothing last season, and now we have 2 5th round picks to show for it? That is impressive. He had no market last year, and virtually no market this year.

Its not like we selected him number one overall in the draft, and had him drag our team through the mud for 7+ years before we could finally trade him for reasonable value.

Throw the player out of the equation (since he was largely irrelevant to us) and its almost like we just bought 2 of Oakland's 5th round picks for what, 8 million bucks? I guess we could have rolled that money over, but, meh.

Win.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2q1a870r said:
SeahawksFanForever":2q1a870r said:
John informing Pete of the Flynn deal

flynnandflynner.gif

That is, genuinely, one of my favorite posts of the last 10 years here.
THIS!!

kearly

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2mazk93k said:
I'm not complaining about the two fifth rounders in exchange; I'm just a little surprised that was all we got. After all, even if Crazy Al is dead and gone, there's still a whole lotta Crazy Al going on down there.

Uh, you base this on what exactly? McKenzie has done nothing but shed contracts and try to repair that franchise since he got there. He just upgraded his 2013 starting QB without giving up any 2013 picks and saving money in the process. Flynn fits their offense better than Palmer does, and he's younger. He might even be better as a starter in 2013.

Basis4day

Reaction score
kearly":3qa71049 said:
Seahawk Sailor":3qa71049 said:
I'm not complaining about the two fifth rounders in exchange; I'm just a little surprised that was all we got. After all, even if Crazy Al is dead and gone, there's still a whole lotta Crazy Al going on down there.

Uh, you base this on what exactly? McKenzie has done nothing but shed contracts and try to repair that franchise since he got there.

Raiders didn't have a whole lot to give.

The Outfield

Reaction score
We also can't forget the value of trading Flynn to a team that is not in our conference and that we don't even play next year.

ivotuk

Reaction score
kearly":suneaqf6 said:
Great trade for both teams. Especially Seattle if it's true they got two fifth rounders.

This was an awesome move! Months ago I speculated that we would get a 4th, or maybe even a 3rd for Flynn but the market just wasn't there. Instead, John gets TWO 5th round picks from Oakland which, with their decimated team might as well be 4th rounders.

The 4th round goes all the way to 128 and Oakland will assuredly be picking in the top 5 next year. That makes it at worst pick number 133 :D They have nothing left on defense, no wide receivers, a running back that can't stay healthy, an anonymous offensive line, poor Matt. They are going to get slaughtered by Denver and KC, and maybe even San Diego. This is good news for Seahawk fans and I'm excited :th2thumbs:

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Basis4day":qek8q1qn said:
kearly":qek8q1qn said:
Seahawk Sailor":qek8q1qn said:

Uh, you base this on what exactly? McKenzie has done nothing but shed contracts and try to repair that franchise since he got there.

Raiders didn't have a whole lot to give.

That's sort of true. A 4th this year is approximatly equivalent to a 5th this year, and the Raiders didn't have that. However, I'm not sure if I see that being a center point of the negotiations or not.

Latest posts