Flynn traded for 2 picks - via Glazer/Twitter

sutz

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1lywypng said:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 4m
Picks in Flynn-to-OAK deal are a pick in 2014 and a conditional pick in 2015.

Nothing this year, it appears
I'm actually good with that. We have plenty of picks this year already. This is an investment in the future.

NYCoug

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":22z3agv0 said:
SeahawksFanForever":22z3agv0 said:
John informing Pete of the Flynn deal

flynnandflynner.gif

That is, genuinely, one of my favorite posts of the last 10 years here.

Seriously. I love it. This just made my day. Great work Forever.

DericLee

Reaction score
I'm all for discussing ideas about the going on's of our team.

But what is with some of the ego's questioning P&J's decisions?

Perpetual pessimism?

Seriously, not sure I could respect an argument that calls them into question at this point....

NYCoug

Reaction score
DericLee":1zzswv51 said:
I'm all for discussing ideas about the going on's of our team.

But what is with some of the ego's questioning P&J's decisions?

Perpetual pessimism?

Seriously, not sure I could respect an argument that calls them into question at this point....

I get that it's part of the fun of being a diehard, analyzing and discussing every move, I get that and I love to do that too.

But over the trade of the team's backup quarterback? Before any time has passed to look back on it? What if the team signs Kam to an extension and works some magic in the draft and ends up with an even better backup than Flynn all before training camp? Let's just watch it all unfold and continue to be amazed.

Matt Flynn would be honored to know how hard it is for some people to let go of him haha

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'm surprised we got anything, let alone fifths--that will probably be high fifths. The Hawks weren't in a position I power here. Everyone knew that they wouldn't want the backup qb to have that kind of cap hit.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
In the end I thought we could have gotten at least a 4th for him, but I am still okay with the trade as we still get money off the books to help us resign some of our own guys.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Blitzer88":32y4yne3 said:
In the end I thought we could have gotten at least a 4th for him, but I am still okay with the trade as we still get money off the books to help us resign some of our own guys.

just hold out hope that the conditional pick in 2015 might become a 4th!

two dog

Reaction score
That "fifth rounder next year is only a sixth" or "fifth rounder two years out is a seventh",
that crap is true only if you see the world through the eyes of Jimmy Johnson who's the
daddy of the chart. Does that mean a fifth three years out would mean you get no pick at all?

When the 2014 draft comes it will be a fifth and a fifth we didn't need this year having two
of those already. It also figures to be a pretty high fifth. What's wrong with that?

Matt conducted himself like a real pro. No whining because he lost out to a remarkable rookie.
I'm glad to see him get his shot at starting in the league. If he fails, I feel it will be the result
of his surrounding "talent" in Oakland.

In the words of an old baseball player, "left field is so screwed up nobody could play it".

Hendo66

Reaction score
Bottom line, this team is so much fun to follow. Love it. Can't wait to see what's next.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3b7qx1pf said:
Anybody who's wringing their hands about what losing our back up QB means for our Super Bowl chances needs to check that concern at the door.

We aren't going to the Super Bowl without Wilson under center. Even with Flynn, that was still going to be true.

Exactly.

Time to move on with a low cost backup, move on from talking about backup QB's (Whitehurst and now Flynn) and time to exert all our energy into another great draft and a run at a Super Bowl.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
A couple of thoughts:

1. This move was, IMO, all about getting Flynn's salary off the books. It was too high for a (mostly) unproven backup to make. Hell, it's fairly high for an unproven starter, too, which is why I always suspected it'd be hard to trade Flynn for anything more than a late rd pick. I'm fine with the compensation.

2. Can we start placing importance on the backup QB position again? It seems the role has been downplayed in perhaps an attempt to get more people to support trading Flynn, which I was understand, but lets not fool ourselves. It is an important role. Of course if Wilson is out for the entire season our Super Bowl hopes are (most likely) over, but if its a matter of the backup playing 1.5 games for us and winning both games, those 2 W's could be the deciding factor in securing home field advantage which is huge for a championship run.

Question: Is there any news yet of Flynn restructuring his contract to help facilitate his trade. I ask because if he didn't, that might be a reason the picks weren't as much as we all had hoped.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":315zkdjd said:
Sarlacc83":315zkdjd said:
Anybody who's wringing their hands about what losing our back up QB means for our Super Bowl chances needs to check that concern at the door.

We aren't going to the Super Bowl without Wilson under center. Even with Flynn, that was still going to be true.

Exactly.

Time to move on with a low cost backup, move on from talking about backup QB's (Whitehurst and now Flynn) and time to exert all our energy into another great draft and a run at a Super Bowl.

Yup. I highly doubt the Packers, Patriots, Saints fans are really worried this much about who their backup QB is. When you have a great QB, you live or die by them and hope your backup can be good enough to help you survive (like Matt Cassell when he was with the Pats, or Flynn with the Packers). Once those players outlive their cost, you let them go and it's next man up.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":27rt7xki said:
A couple of thoughts:

1. This move was, IMO, all about getting Flynn's salary off the books. It was too high for a (mostly) unproven backup to make. Hell, it's fairly high for an unproven starter, too, which is why I always suspected it'd be hard to trade Flynn for anything more than a late rd pick. I'm fine with the compensation.

2. Can we start placing importance on the backup QB position again? It seems the role has been downplayed in perhaps an attempt to get more people to support trading Flynn, which I was understand, but lets not fool ourselves. It is an important role. Of course if Wilson is out for the entire season our Super Bowl hopes are (most likely) over, but if its a matter of the backup playing 1.5 games for us and winning both games, those 2 W's could be the deciding factor in securing home field advantage which is huge for a championship run.

Question: Is there any news yet of Flynn restructuring his contract to help facilitate his trade. I ask because if he didn't, that might be a reason the picks weren't as much as we all had hoped.

I'll take VY for 400(k) please Alex.

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm with ya Recon.

The arguement of "we wont win the SB without Wilson anyways" is intellectually dishonest. It's true if he's out for the entire year or playoffs, but NOT if he's out for two games in November. Also, other teams have to invest starter money into their franchise QB, the Seahawks dont have to.