Flynn traded for 2 picks - via Glazer/Twitter

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
General Manager":9sa1tp18 said:
We got hosed on this deal .

Yeah we got two picks for a guy who won't take the field and will be cut in 12 months.

All the while saving money that could be used for other more important players.

What a hosing...

:roll:

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
Sounds like people over valued Flynn's trade value. I figured he was worth about a fourth round pick. If its 2 5th's than thats pretty much the same to me. If Hawksotrians cap scenario is accurate the Seahawks gained about 3 million in cap space, plus Flynn is off the books next season. I'm happy.

I wouldn't mind us bringing back TJack if he becomes available. I know that guy is capable of playing .500 ball and thats a pretty good scenario to have with a backup QB.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
General Manager":26nz3eie said:
The Hawks did not get equal value on this deal ,ya we got him off the books and Wilson won't have to look at the sideline and see a guy who makes millions standing there but that's all that got done with this deal. Hopefully rhey can turn that 5th or 6th into a starter if that happens then this was a good trade untill then it isn't.

That's just pure nonsense. The value of anything is determined by the market for whatever it is your trying to move. There was next to no market for Flynn and the only team that was verified to have an interest in him had almost no draft picks in the first four rounds of this year's draft. That was the market for Flynn. To move him you had to accommodate the only interested team. That's why we had to take future draft choices. And the fact that Flynn is still unproven as a starter your not going to get a high draft pick anyway. We already have 10 picks this year and Oakland knew that so they weren't going to hurt themselves further in this year's draft.

Given all that JS did a great job with multiple later mid-round picks for an unproven starter with almost no market.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Think we could have done better than the 5th. A 4th would have been better. I mean KC gave the 9ers a 2nd for Alex Smith. Will see who ends up being the better QB over the course of their careers.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
hoxrox":w04zrjue said:
Think we could have done better than the 5th. A 4th would have been better. I mean KC gave the 9ers a 2nd for Alex Smith. Will see who ends up being the better QB over the course of their careers.

Smith is far more proven than Flynn. You might want to check the number of starts each have.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Alex Smith had a 104.1 passer rating last year (only Rodgers and Manning were better) and took a team to the NFC championship game the year before. You can argue Flynn has more upside, but Smith is a proven commodity. There is no way they were going to be valued the same.

kearly

Reaction score
Well, you can scratch Colt McCoy off the list. He just got dealt to SF to a 7th.

LOLOLOLOL.

lukerguy

Reaction score
General Manager":1ld0ypv6 said:
We got hosed on this deal .
You do realize we got Flynn for free? Every other team in the league could have offered similar or more than we paid Flynn two years ago and not had to give up anything for him. When you sign people in UFA, they rarely have much trade value because everyone else would be able to grab them for the same price without having to give up picks.

Flynn had a sore arm, and didn't honestly look that great in Pre-season, so to expect anything more than a 4/5th, with his contract is ridiculous.

How much do you think we could get for Red Bryant right now? 5 years and 35MM? Zero. How much for Clemons? Torn ACL and other good pass rushers getting 5 MM..Zero. KC severely overpaid for Smith (who had been to an NFC championship), which set our expectations too high.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I like Flynn and wish him the best, but if he were as good as some of you think, he'd have beaten Russell out for the starting job. That doesn't mean he can't start and do really well somewhere; but I think we tend to overvalue guys just because they're on our favorite team.

Steve Young and Tom Brady were premiere backups. I am not willing to put Matt Flynn in that same category at this point.

nwgamer

Reaction score
The San Fran trade was SF's 5th and 7th for McCoy plus a 6th from the Browns. This puts Flynn's value higher than McCoy's. SF was probably waiting on the Flynn deal to conclude to determine what they were going to give the Browns.

drdiags

Reaction score
Looking back at the offseason projections, folks like Schefter, King and a few others stated the Seahawks were not going to get anything for Flynn and would ultimately cut him. We had several spirited debates about that but this deal proves they were not completely off but were not completely aware of trade potential for Flynn.

I think some are being greedy, expecting 1st round picks or 2nd rounders etc. Others are afraid that giving up the security blanket Flynn offers to fans is a mistake.

I like Flynn and hope he is successful in Oakland. I thought he should have started for the Seahawks last year, with TJ and Wilson backing him up. Before Pete and John decided to go the route they did.

If I am Oakland, I am concerned about his elbow and hope it doesn't flare up during TC like it did for the Seahawks.

I personally would have liked to see the team get a 3rd or 4th but it didn't happen. The team could have been comfortable keeping Flynn but absent any insider detail not sure how much that was going to be reciprocated. After signing him with expectations that he would win a competition for the starter, to bring him back in a full backup role was going to be a sticky issue that needed to be managed.

On the topic of JS getting fleeced. There was a market of 3 teams and two backed out early when they heard the possible compensation required. He was not dealing from strength. The deal is made and I look forward to what they do for the backup slot. I would draft and groom with the idea of maybe grabbing a decent vet at a reasonable price. Maybe Thigpen? Not sure about Leinhart. He turned the team down once before.

mikeak

Reaction score
DavidSeven":z6u1hw6b said:
NFL.com writers unanimously pan Flynn's prospects as a starter in Oakland

Flynn's perceived value around the league is low. LOW. That's the simple truth.

The first one has the truth and the cause for so much debate on this site

"But it means, given the limited body of work, there's little way of knowing whether or not he'll be the answer for the Raiders. And he's certainly no more proven than Carson Palmer. Perhaps Flynn will be a better fit for the system. Perhaps he's more talented. But the truth is, we simply just don't know if the Raiders have found their guy -- or if they're just prolonging their search for the real long-term answer. "

With Kolb and Fitzpatrick there is plenty of tape now. You can watch it and all you need is one team to think they really like something on that tape and the value goes up. Considering that draft picks are a big commodity due to the salary restrictions and the unknown about Flynn it wasn't a surprise what we got. Lots of people were saying one fifth round pick and now we got two future fifth rounds and the money off the board. Maybe he is the future of this league or more likely he will be servicable but he may also stink up the joint, take to many sacks on a bad team and end up on IR and never play again.........

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
hoxrox":2wfwxvog said:

How could we have done better? Short of putting a gun to Reggie McKenzie's head and demanding a 4th?

There was no market. For the second year in a row. If there was a 4th to be had out there, they would've taken it. They took the only offer on the table.

Alex Smith is a former #1 pick that the league knows all about. He's not a career backup with two NFL starts. He's also taken a team to a play or two from the Super Bowl. KC overpaid a little to make sure they avoided a bidding war. Even then, look at the numbers in the first few weeks of the 2012 season. Smith was among the highest ranked quarterbacks in the league.

drdiags

Reaction score
Looking at the Colt McCoy deal, the Browns traded him for a low 5th if you balance things out (Colt + Browns 6th for 9ers low 5th + mid-round 7th). Could even say the Browns 6th almost cancelling out the 9ers 5th, meaning the 9ers got Colt for a 7th.

Two 5th round picks for Flynn in this market seems not to be highway robbery to me.

EDIT:

Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 59m
Source: The 49ers give up their 7th-round pick and their fifth for Colt McCoy and Browns' sixth. (So 49ers move back nine spots)

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":35htnssz said:
hoxrox":35htnssz said:

How could we have done better? Short of putting a gun to Reggie McKenzie's head and demanding a 4th?

There was no market. For the second year in a row. If there was a 4th to be had out there, they would've taken it. They took the only offer on the table.

Alex Smith is a former #1 pick that the league knows all about. He's not a career backup with two NFL starts. He's also taken a team to a play or two from the Super Bowl. KC overpaid a little to make sure they avoided a bidding war. Even then, look at the numbers in the first few weeks of the 2012 season. Smith was among the highest ranked quarterbacks in the league.

:13: you speak my language.

Latest posts