Lock +1/2 Years = Goff?

olyfan63

Reaction score
I ran across some random comment on the Internet, possibly FieldGulls IIRC, that compared Drew Lock to Jared Goff, in terms of upside/potential. I thought that was a fascinating, and perhaps possible, comp. Does anyone else see current Peak Goff as a realistic possibility for Lock? What elements of Lock's game say YES, and which say NO?

I recall when the Rams traded Goff to Detroit, then immediately looked brilliant in winning the ensuing Super Bowl, with Stafford being exactly the difference the Rams needed, making critical plays at key times (many of them to Cooper Kupp). Exactly the stuff Goff failed at in key moments. Stafford was only *slightly* better than Goff (IMO), in that Rams offense, but the differences were in the crucial, game-deciding moments.

Belichick and the Patriots made Goff, and McVay, in a rare moment in that 13-3 Super Bowl loss, look like bumbling, slow-witted fools who couldn't adjust during critical situations on the biggest stage. So the Rams shipped off Goff, as a limiting factor, to Detroit, and hit the jackpot with Stafford a couple season later.

I'd always thought of Goff as a strong-armed, slow-footed system QB who lucked into being in McVay's offense. In Detroit, Goff looked like Rams Goff for the first year or two, but seemed to slowly, slowly, steadily improve, make better decisions, and over a couple more seasons, shockingly looked like an actual GOOD QB instead of just a stiff with arm talent, that Goff seemed to know where to go with the ball, and make fewer bonehead decisions. The last couple seasons, Goff has been very good, particularly this year, and the Lions could snag the #2 seed in the NFC with a strong finish.

Right now, the rap on Lock would be that he's a stiff with great arm talent, even better arm talent than Geno's, but not so great at pocket awareness, and not so great at processing the game. In the MNF win against Philly, Lock showed some good presnap reads, and skill (luck?) on a couple deep throws, and numerous laser-like throws that gave DBs very limited reaction time.

Does Lock potentially have the upside to improve his game to match current Jared Goff's level? If yes, what does he have to fix/improve, and what will that take, in terms of coaching, playing opportunities, etc.? And does Pete have the big balls to roll the dice on Lock, say next year?

Fade

Reaction score
Lock is like a one-eyed Jay Cutler, with a better attitude. (Sees the field as if he only has one eye.)

Goff is a statue, throws a pretty football.
But Falls apart when moved off of his spot.

Lock has an easy release, excellent movement, and the ability to do high level throws Goff could never dream of.

Lock has a ton of talent, but the one thing he is bad at, is the most important thing. Reading coverages and knowing where to go with the football.

Hasselbeck once upon a time struggled with this, and it took Holmgren 3 years to get Hasselbeck over the hump, so...