Flynn traded for 2 picks - via Glazer/Twitter

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
McGruff":2fvpnx76 said:
Hawkscanner":2fvpnx76 said:
GoHawks":2fvpnx76 said:
Tony Nipert‏@TNipert132m
@DavisHsuSeattle @FieldGulls heard from Cables son we are getting a 5th in 14 and most likely a 5th in 15. Just what he's told me.

If that's honestly the package of what the Hawks are getting back ... then let's call this what it is -- a salary dump. With a team that looks poised to go to the Super Bowl this year, I don't like this. It just feels like Flynn's value to this team (having a competent back-up who can actually win you some games) this year is worth far more than that.

I feel like two fifths is a major steal for us . . .

Yeah, as much of a steal as cutting Kellen Winslow to save a buck and picking up Evan Moore. That one worked out well.

No, what I'm saying is that Flynn's value to the Seahawks for this year (i.e. to have a competent back-up QB in case the unthinkable happens and Wilson goes down for any length of time) is worth far more to a Super Bowl contending team than 2 future 5th Round Picks IMO.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":d7ixldqh said:
Yeah, as much of a steal as cutting Kellen Winslow to save a buck and picking up Evan Moore. That one worked out well.

No, what I'm saying is that Flynn's value to the Seahawks for this year (i.e. to have a competent back-up QB in case the unthinkable happens and Wilson goes down for any length of time) is worth far more to a Super Bowl contending team than 2 future 5th Round Picks IMO.

And if Wilson plays all 16 games next year, JS turns one of those fifths into another Richard Sherman and we use the cap savings to extend Kam Chancellor... what's that worth to the Seahawks?

Winslow didn't even stick on an NFL team last year, and I don't see teams rushing to offer him any money this year. How did that not work out well for us?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1uxyj3ne said:
Hawkscanner":1uxyj3ne said:

And if Wilson plays all 16 games next year, JS turns one of those fifths into another Richard Sherman and we use the cap savings to extend Kam Chancellor... what's that worth to the Seahawks?

Winslow didn't even stick on an NFL team last year, and I don't see teams rushing to offer him any money this year. How did that not work out well for us?

I meant the Evan Moore part of that --- excellent use of resources.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2ab8oyvz said:

Hindsight is always 20/20....John and Pete will be "crucified" on .net if RW goes down!! If he says healthy.......we'll call them geniuses!

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":25yd10w9 said:
Hawkscanner":25yd10w9 said:

Hindsight is always 20/20....John and Pete will be "crucified" on .net if RW goes down!! If he says healthy.......we'll call them geniuses!

Exactly right -- given the package the Hawks are actually getting back for Flynn, I don't see the need to even tread anywhere close to Golgotha. We're talking about a Super Bowl contender and all of a sudden we've got a hole. Are people seriously more comfortable with the idea of Tyler Thigpen at QB if Wilson goes down ... or god forbid Matt Leinart? I get it that this is all about Cap Savings and how this fits in with the grand scheme of signing key players like Kam Chancellor to long term deals ... but I don't like this move -- not for 2 future round 5th's. No way.

pehawk

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":gwhtv094 said:
Bigpumpkin":gwhtv094 said:
Hawkscanner":gwhtv094 said:

Exactly right -- given the package the Hawks are actually getting back for Flynn, I don't see the need to even tread anywhere close to Golgotha. We're talking about a Super Bowl contender and all of a sudden we've got a hole. Are people seriously more comfortable with the idea of Tyler Thigpen at QB if Wilson goes down ... or god forbid Matt Leinart? I get it that this is all about Cap Savings and how this fits in with the grand scheme of signing key players like Kam Chancellor to long term deals ... but I don't like this move -- not for 2 future round 5th's. No way.

That's why I'm pretty sure the deal was 100% about doing right by Flynn. It's just an unnecessary this year to trade him...they didn't have to yet.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
I am 60/40 on this trade. Here is why:

The people talking like backups don't matter, and that we are out of contention if Wilson gets hurt, etc etc, they are missing a vital piece of the argument. Yes, I agree that almost any team would be sunk if their QB goes down, and they have to rely on their backup for the majority of the season. What if that stud QB gets hurt, and only misses a handful of weeks? IMO, you don't have a backup on the team to step in and take over for the season. That successfully occurs so rarely we can affectively rule that out of the conversation. But having a backup that can come in and win 2-3 games in a 4-5 game stretch CAN be the difference between making the playoffs or sitting at home in January. It seems to me that people are writing off having a decent backup much too quickly, without looking at the all the factors that might come into play.

It remains to be seen who they replace Flynn with, so I reserve full judgment until that point. If we replace Flynn with a Thigpen, Leinart, or anything from the bargain bin (Young), I think it would be a mistake. Hopefully this means we will draft a mid to late round QB, and start the process of building our own QB factory.

The compensation aspect of this trade is neither here nor there, IMO. Anyone who thought we would get more than a couple of late round picks was delusional. Two 5ths is about where I figured it would be, if they did pull the trigger. Fortunately, I have complete confidence that our FO will be able to hit on at least one of those picks, and ultimately make this trade worth it.

In order for me to think this was a win across the board for the Hawks, they would have to draft a competent QB, and make good on one of the two picks. I think the likelihood of those things happening is quite high, so I am cautiously optimistic about this trade. It is not without some risk though.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
pehawk":lk30fx5g said:
That's why I'm pretty sure the deal was 100% about doing right by Flynn. It's just an unnecessary this year to trade him...they didn't have to yet.

If that's the reason, I certainly can understand that. I remember several years ago when the Mariners traded Jamie Moyer to the Phillies it was for the same basic reason. Moyer was promised that if an opportunity ever came along for him to go to a serious World Series contender that the team would honor him by dealing him to that team. If that's what's going on here (in essence, a class move by the Seahawks in sending him to a place where Flynn honestly has an opportunity to start) then I can buy that. I'd actually stand up and applaud the Hawks organization if that's their rationale. I still wouldn't 100% LOVE it ... but I could stand by it.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
But we haven't even come to the draft yet. We have seen mid-round picks step in and play well when first-string QBs were injured. Nick Foles and Kirk Cousins just happened last year.

What if the Seahawks get Matt Scott and he turns out to be the perfect read-option backup? I mean, can we wait until AFTER the draft to see if the Seahawks are selling the QB2 position short?

I agree that a QB2 that can step in and win a half or a game or two is important to have, but we still have what feels like about nine years of offseason before that becomes important, and I'm sure our FO is going to take care of it (I think they will in the draft).

mikeak

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":324qatm8 said:

It is a cap issue. Everyone is focusing on this $4million to trade him and $7.25 million to keep him which LOOKS like a $3.25 million saving but it is not the right way to look at it.

If you keep him this year you are adding $3.25 million AND you either pay $4million when you cut him next year or $2 million if you trade him next year (nobody trades for a 1 year contract) or you pay $8.25 million

So it really sheds realistically between $7.25 million and $11.5 million - that is a whole lof of money to spend on someone else
(Sherman)

EDIT: I disagree with Peahawk on this. He apparently thinks that eating that much money isn't a big deal and we just did it to be nice to Flynn. I disagree :D

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":243h4617 said:
Hawkscanner":243h4617 said:

the average number of QB's that don't miss a single game all season due to injury: 1 out of 4. It's not genius. They better come up with a good backup. Having Flynn was worth more than two fifths.
If it's a salary dump, then the signing was stupid in the first place. They rationalized it as they're spending X dollars on a starter and a backup. That amount was actually pretty low for a starter and backup. So saying they need to dump salary is saying they screwed up getting Flynn.

If the market can't bear more, they did this as a favor to Flynn. That I can live with, provided it doesn't bite us in the butt when, not if, Wilson goes down.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
pehawk":201qz1xk said:

Sorry, but the NFL is a business. People get fired if they don't perform, the Hawks did it because it was best for the Hawks...... Clearly Flynn was only worth two 5th round picks. The NFL dictated that LOUD AND CLEAR....there was one team interested in Flynn. He may be worth a first round pick to many in the .net, but that is fantasy land.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Congrats on freeing up some cap space. I'm sure your FO is happy to have it after finding out RW was the guy after paying a pretty penny for Flynn. You guys got about what I thought you would get for him. I know a lot of you guys wanted and thought he was worth at least a 2nd, but I imagine it was easy for the Raiders to give up only a couple of late rounders for a QB that hasn't really proven much yet.

What have you guys heard in regards a possible replacement to back up RW?

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
NinerLifer":345q0q8n said:
Congrats on freeing up some cap space. I'm sure your FO is happy to have it after finding out RW was the guy after paying a pretty penny for Flynn. You guys got about what I thought you would get for him. I know a lot of you guys wanted and thought he was worth at least a 2nd, but I imagine it was easy for the Raiders to give up only a couple of late rounders for a QB that hasn't really proven much yet.

Tyler Thigpen, Matt Leinart, Rex Grossman, Vince Young, Gino Torretta, and if all else fails...Colin Kaepernick

:twisted:

Largent80

Reaction score
NinerLifer":qmvt0jcd said:

You, because, a backup isn't needed and Wilson is going to kick your ass.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Largent80":uz9dqnve said:
NinerLifer":uz9dqnve said:

He'll ya, where do I sign? I will gladly agree to the league minimum to do nothing.

Largent80

Reaction score
NinerLifer":u82n8uls said:
Largent80":u82n8uls said:
NinerLifer":u82n8uls said:

He'll ya, where do I sign? I will gladly agree to the league minimum to do nothing.

In your area check the Silly Savage Hotline.