Flynn traded for 2 picks - via Glazer/Twitter

themunn

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":bwjntmsy said:
the average number of QB's that don't miss a single game all season due to injury: 1 out of 4. It's not genius. They better come up with a good backup. Having Flynn was worth more than two fifths.

Where did you get that stat from?

For a good example, my reckoning is that there were 21 QBs last year who started 16 games, and a further 4 who missed a combined 6 starts (Griffin, Palmer, Cutler & Roethlisberger who accounts for 3 of those missed starts). The remaining 7 teams comprise of the likes of Jacksonville, the Jets, Arizona, San Francisco who had fit QBs that they chose to bench, and the remaining 3 of the Chiefs, Titans and Eagles who had genuine injuries to players.

Still, 24 teams who had their starting QB for 14+ games. You're suggesting paying 7-8 million for a player who has a 25% chance of having to play for >2 games. And in reality, probably even less chance than that considering we employ arguably the most elusive QB in the league in terms of avoiding contact, and whose size probably helps him in terms of injury likelihood

ihawk

Reaction score
My only gripe is that the 2014 pick is not also conditional. I realize that few, if any, people really believe Flynn and OAK are going to pull of a miracle season, but if he does and turns out to be a solid starter then we should be getting a higher pick, period. If the probability is so low, then it should not have been a difficult deal point. Without knowing what picks Oak even has in 2014, it seems fair if it was a 5th that jumps to a 4th if Flynn wins 8 games, 3rd for 10 wins or wildcard spot in playoffs, 2nd for 11 wins or 1st place finish in division, and 1st for 12+ wins or a win in the divisional playoff round.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The fact that all the Raiders got for Palmer is a conditional 7th round pick should tell all the people complaining about what we got for Flynn are WAY out of line.

General Manager

Reaction score
Palmer is only on that team because they have nothing at that position and they will hate Palmer very quickly down there he's a turnover machine. Flynn was worth a 3rd or 4th no less. They dumped him.

ihawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3rc94u3b said:
The fact that all the Raiders got for Palmer is a conditional 7th round pick should tell all the people complaining about what we got for Flynn are WAY out of line.

Disagree. The raiders lost all leverage the minute they traded for Flynn.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1de4b32x said:
If it's a salary dump, then the signing was stupid in the first place. They rationalized it as they're spending X dollars on a starter and a backup. That amount was actually pretty low for a starter and backup. So saying they need to dump salary is saying they screwed up getting Flynn.
When they originally signed Flynn, what they bought was insurance. The Seahawks had their eyes on RW, but there was no guarantee they would get him or any other quarterback in the draft who they felt could handle the starting job. I believe they fully expected he would become the starter, and had things worked out differently in the draft, he probably would have been.

Buying insurance is a part of life. Everybody has to make their own decisions about when to buy good insurance, and when to buy cheap-ass insurance. Spending more for good insurance isn't necessarily a mistake, even if you never use it.

So was Flynn, as an insurance policy, worth what we paid? Who knows... if he goes to Oakland and lights it up, then he was worth the money we spent on on him for short-term insurance. If he goes there and craps the bed, then we were wise to get out from under that particular policy.

The thing about insurance is that most of the time, you go through life hoping you don't have to use it -- and by extension, hoping you never have to find out if the policy you had was both good quality and a good fit.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
I keep popping in and out of this thread just for the sheer entertainment value (and to see just how long a dead horse can be relentlessly beaten)... and all I gotta say is Seahawks fans are an interesting... and entertaining breed...

:th2thumbs:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ihawk":j76lnonu said:
Sgt. Largent":j76lnonu said:

They lost leverage long before that. They lost it when they traded away their 1st round pick and then agreed to pay him 13 million a year.

That's the thing, just because the Hawks didn't HAVE to trade Flynn doesn't mean that equates to higher compensation leverage dealing with other teams. If Flynn would have come here, started and played great? Then yeah his value goes way up. But he didn't, he's still the same journeyman backup QB he was a year ago...........only now he makes 5 million a year. How is that better leverage for the Hawks?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
BlueTalon":3hkvssd9 said:
SalishHawkFan":3hkvssd9 said:
If it's a salary dump, then the signing was stupid in the first place. They rationalized it as they're spending X dollars on a starter and a backup. That amount was actually pretty low for a starter and backup. So saying they need to dump salary is saying they screwed up getting Flynn.
When they originally signed Flynn, what they bought was insurance. The Seahawks had their eyes on RW, but there was no guarantee they would get him or any other quarterback in the draft who they felt could handle the starting job. I believe they fully expected he would become the starter, and had things worked out differently in the draft, he probably would have been.

Buying insurance is a part of life. Everybody has to make their own decisions about when to buy good insurance, and when to buy cheap-ass insurance. Spending more for good insurance isn't necessarily a mistake, even if you never use it.

So was Flynn, as an insurance policy, worth what we paid? Who knows... if he goes to Oakland and lights it up, then he was worth the money we spent on on him for short-term insurance. If he goes there and craps the bed, then we were wise to get out from under that particular policy.

The thing about insurance is that most of the time, you go through life hoping you don't have to use it -- and by extension, hoping you never have to find out if the policy you had was both good quality and a good fit.

I didn't even see it that restricted.

The way the order of things go, all we had was Tarvaris when we signed Flynn. And John has been pretty candid that although he really liked (loved?) Wilson, the fact is Russell outperformed even Schneider's expectations. There was no hope that we'd move up to get a QB in the draft. And really no real expectation that we would have addressed the QB position adequately in the draft at all.

We struck gold. Partially by good fortune. Partially by vision. But there is little doubt I think that we improved our club the moment we signed Flynn. I actually think it's indicative of what they've always preached, "We will seek any avenue to improve our team." Despite getting what we expected was a starter capable QB, we saw Wilson as a unique player and need be damned, we doubled down on the position.

I am glad we did. And I hope we do it every time in the future. That goes for Irvin or Carpenter or any other player we've invested significantly in (money or draft stock). Keep adding talent and let it rise to the surface no matter where you find it. If we get the next Aldon Smith and it renders Irvin obsolete, I'm not about to cry about the 'wasted' first round pick. I'm going to focus on the fact we improved on that first round selection.

I, for one, love our talent acquisition model. Keep doing what we're doing. Never rest on past laurels or close our options just because we recently invested in it. Always compete and always improve.

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
Obviously the compensation is meh... But at least we got something I suppose. Now we resign Kam in the next few days and we are all happy campers again

ihawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":k1ad7miy said:
ihawk":k1ad7miy said:
Sgt. Largent":k1ad7miy said:

They lost leverage long before that. They lost it when they traded away their 1st round pick and then agreed to pay him 13 million a year.

That's the thing, just because the Hawks didn't HAVE to trade Flynn doesn't mean that equates to higher compensation leverage dealing with other teams. If Flynn would have come here, started and played great? Then yeah his value goes way up. But he didn't, he's still the same journeyman backup QB he was a year ago...........only now he makes 5 million a year. How is that better leverage for the Hawks?

The Cards knew that if they didn't trade for Palmer then OAK had no other option but to drop him. Do you agree? That's a horrible position to negotiate from, so yeah, I think the Seahawks were in a slightly better position with OAK than OAK was with ARZ. Notwithstanding, Palmer's 33 and clearly on the decline - an obvious stop-gap with little upside and no long term value. That's apples and oranges to Flynn who is a pure lottery ticket with many years left to play if he pans out. So I don't think you can just point at OAK's compensation for Palmer and use it to justify what we got for Flynn.

I'm not claiming we should have gotten much more than we did - I just think that because there is so much uncertainty about Flynn, it would have been nice if the 2014 pick we got was conditional with the ability to go all the way up if Flynn turns out to be really good.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2cr08xkc said:
BlueTalon":2cr08xkc said:
SalishHawkFan":2cr08xkc said:
When they originally signed Flynn, what they bought was insurance. The Seahawks had their eyes on RW, but there was no guarantee they would get him or any other quarterback in the draft who they felt could handle the starting job. I believe they fully expected he (Flynn) would become the starter, and had things worked out differently in the draft, he probably would have been.

I didn't even see it that restricted.

The way the order of things go, all we had was Tarvaris when we signed Flynn. And John has been pretty candid that although he really liked (loved?) Wilson, the fact is Russell outperformed even Schneider's expectations. There was no hope that we'd move up to get a QB in the draft. And really no real expectation that we would have addressed the QB position adequately in the draft at all.

We struck gold. Partially by good fortune. Partially by vision. But there is little doubt I think that we improved our club the moment we signed Flynn. I actually think it's indicative of what they've always preached, "We will seek any avenue to improve our team." Despite getting what we expected was a starter capable QB, we saw Wilson as a unique player and need be damned, we doubled down on the position.
JS certainly was very candid about his pre-draft man-crush on Russell Wilson. There was never any talk about moving up in the early rounds to get a QB, but JS went into the draft hoping and expecting to address the QB situation in a manner that would be considered significantly better than adequate.

(It just occurred to me that perhaps I used a few too many pronouns in my previous post.)

BlueTalon

Reaction score
The Yugoslavian":357os7cw said:
Now we resign Kam in the next few days and we are all happy campers again
I wonder how people would react to the trade if that exactly was the choice -- do we keep Flynn as a backup for one more year, or do we extend Kam Chancellor?

Might be a good poll question.

ihawk":357os7cw said:
I'm not claiming we should have gotten much more than we did - I just think that because there is so much uncertainty about Flynn, it would have been nice if the 2014 pick we got was conditional with the ability to go all the way up if Flynn turns out to be really good.
Good point.

SeattleSprtsHub

Reaction score
When I first saw this trade become offical yesterday, I thought "Oh crap, what horrible picks to get, no picks for this year at all what bs." But then being the typical overeactor that I am, I took a step back and thought hmm..what does this really mean, well to me and I'm sure a lot of you feel this way but I am thrilled to get the cap room back to help us build our future and extend guys whose contracts are up soon and even add some pieces to the team. Just my :twocents: Oh yeah and by the way I'm new to this forum :2:

CANHawk

Reaction score
SeattleSprtsHub":yxj211wq said:
Oh yeah and by the way I'm new to this forum :2:

As we can tell by your post count of 1 and join date of today! Welcome aboard. Don't mind Pehawk. he touches everyone like that...

Latest posts