Confidence is lost

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Are you sure that's light at the end of the tunnel, or another 40 years of getting run over by a train.

IMO we're going to miss Pete more than you think when he's gone.

What are we missing though besides repeated early bounces in the post season. Like i've said 100 times, the team might take a step back when change comes, but i'm ready for that if it happens. Its no worse than what we have now. Either way, we're no closer to another Super Bowl.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm to the point where if he moves on, great. If he doesn't, it is what it is.
But...........the lack of being able to adapt, along with him getting out coached does get quite old.
Followed by the golly gee rah rah stuff after every loss.
And yes, I'm sure I'll get blasted and be called a Pete Hater and I don't appreciate what he has done blah blah blah.
On the contrary, I'm proud of what he has accomplished. But a change would not be bad thing at all. Something DIFFERENT. Something innovative.
I can't stand McVay but he has out coached Pete so many times.........ugh.

WarHawks

Reaction score
If you look at the big picture, if Pete and John hadn't caught the genie in a bottle with the 3rd round Wilson pick, we would probably still be on the long treadmill of mediocrity. Expecting that pick luck to happen again is not realistic. Something has to change. Doing the same thing we've always done gets us nowhere, unless 1st round playoff exits are the goal. I hope to God they aren't settling for that.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
If you look at the big picture, if Pete and John hadn't caught the genie in a bottle with the 3rd round Wilson pick, we would probably still be on the long treadmill of mediocrity. Expecting that pick luck to happen again is not realistic. Something has to change. Doing the same thing we've always done gets us nowhere, unless 1st round playoff exits are the goal. I hope to God they aren't settling for that.
Hmm..you seem to forget about that defense that was drafted..or the Lynch trade.. the qb was a minor piece to that team.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
People always forget the positives and tend unreasonably to dwell on the negatives. Wilson was good until the team saw it was necessary to rid themselves of him, they rid themselves of him 2 years too late and had to eat a significant cap smashing mount of dead money.

Those who are calling for a coaching change truly are mostly just wanting a change without consideration of who the replacement HC would be and whether the team would be materially worse than it is presently. So the question is clear, if not Pete then who?

PC is 72, and very close to the end of a very successful coaching career than he is to beginning that career. My question is who do you believe would be able to do a better job long term than PC? Where do you see the changes happening with the roster except at QB which is very evident as necessary long term? That decision needs to be a right decision or the competitiveness of the team will be completely gone.

I'd rather have a playoff level team with some warts than a significant sojourn into irrelevance which would be the result of any major coaching change.

Seahawker

Reaction score
People always forget the positives and tend unreasonably to dwell on the negatives. Wilson was good until the team saw it was necessary to rid themselves of him, they rid themselves of him 2 years too late and had to eat a significant cap smashing mount of dead money.

Those who are calling for a coaching change truly are mostly just wanting a change without consideration of who the replacement HC would be and whether the team would be materially worse than it is presently. So the question is clear, if not Pete then who?

PC is 72, and very close to the end of a very successful coaching career than he is to beginning that career. My question is who do you believe would be able to do a better job long term than PC? Where do you see the changes happening with the roster except at QB which is very evident as necessary long term? That decision needs to be a right decision or the competitiveness of the team will be completely gone.

I'd rather have a playoff level team with some warts than a significant sojourn into irrelevance which would be the result of any major coaching change.
I hope Pete finishes his current contract through the 2025 season before he rides off into the sunset. Giving him two more years after this season to win another SB with this group. If he can't the bulk of this roster will be in their prime & young enough for another coach to build off of.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Hopefully, if the team can find a good replacement HC.

hawks85

Reaction score
After a few days of cooling down, I rewatched the Ravens game with a clear head. It was a bad game all the way around. It seemed like Seattle prepared but the Ravens came with something different, if that makes sense. The only other game i can compare this to that I can remember is that 2017 game against the Rams at Lumen. The Rams jolly whopped us 42-7. This Ravens game felt and looked exactly like that. I just feel like if the Seahawks D wasn't on the field for 40 min, we may had a shot at winning that game or lost by a few points. That 1st quarter was what I was thinking the game would look like through all 4 quarters. Just back and forth slugging it out. Then the Ravens Adjusted and blew the game wide open.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
What are we missing though besides repeated early bounces in the post season. Like i've said 100 times, the team might take a step back when change comes, but i'm ready for that if it happens. Its no worse than what we have now. Either way, we're no closer to another Super Bowl.

Yes, it could be worse.

In fact, considering the Carroll/Schneider era is by far the most successful era in franchise history by a mile? The likelihood of "worse" post Carroll is quite high.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Yes, it could be worse.

In fact, considering the Carroll/Schneider era is by far the most successful era in franchise history by a mile? The likelihood of "worse" post Carroll is quite high.

We see things differently Sarge and thats ok. The Super Bowl is the prize every team is shooting for. A team that loses early in the post season every year or a team that doesnt even make the post season is netting the same results to me. Not much difference. If Seattle could ever make it out of the second round that would change my opinion a lot, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I don't remember ever calling CallMeADawg out on his opinions. I believe he just did that to me.
I know what to expect from you and find your opinions entertaining, so it's all good. IIRC correctly you're a college soccer player Dad, so you get a pass from me on that too. I think, just for fun, you could temporarily change your avatar to Schleprock (Flintsones) for a few days to mess with people. I'm cool with half-empty folks as sometimes they are the voice of caution and reason when people get overly optimistic and gloss over problems.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Hmm..you seem to forget about that defense that was drafted..or the Lynch trade.. the qb was a minor piece to that team.
No, I didn't forget, I just disagree. Funny how so many here are basically now calling him a game manager then, when at the time we were all so indignant about people calling him that, with many threads pages and pages long extolling his virtues and saying the exact opposite.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score

This is the age old take that PC is irreplaceable and its so tiresome. Every year there are valid candidates that are available to sort from.

I'd rather go into the future with uncertainty than going year after year losing in the first or second round of the playoffs.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I don't think winning more SB's stops most knee jerk and arm chair fans from demanding more winning from their teams. In fact, like I said, I think it's worse.

Just ask Patriot fans who are all now demanding Belichick's firing, even after he gave them 20 years of the most winning in NFL history. You think they're all chill and OK with not winning all the time now cause they won so much previously?
I was thinking the same thing, I had a tenant, in Olympia WA, in 2012 who was a big Patriots fan, to the point of even having a Patriots-oriented vanity plate. It was a lot of fun to say, "How bout them Seahawks?" to him after the "U Mad Bro?" game in 2012. Thankfully, he had moved out before the SB49 meltdown. I'm sure he's been traumatized by the post-Brady era.

It sure is interesting to try to piece together, in hindsight, how much was Belichick and how much was Brady. Give Billy some credit, as he was doing pretty good with Drew Bledsoe before Drew's injury. It's a similar exercise to analyzing how much of SB48 and other success was Russ and how much was Pete. I think the simple answer is both Pete and Belichick need a top 10 QB for their systems to really work and win, and Pete needs a top 10 QB on a rookie contract to really contend. Those 2000 Ravens and Trent Dilfer are the outlier...

In any case, Pats fans are sure going through an adjustment of expectations period...
Love Brandon Perna's YouTube channel, where he embraces and celebrates the pain of being a Broncos fan in their Russell Wilson era. May as well have some fun with it, even when the team is sucking.

olyfan63

Reaction score
We see things differently Sarge and thats ok. The Super Bowl is the prize every team is shooting for. A team that loses early in the post season every year or a team that doesnt even make the post season is netting the same results to me. Not much difference. If Seattle could ever make it out of the second round that would change my opinion a lot, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

As I said, I appreciate your takes even when they seem doom and gloom. The trick is to recognize when things have ACTUALLY CHANGED. Things DID ACTUALLY CHANGE for the Hawks when we traded Russell, nailed two consecutive drafts, and brought in fresh minds on offense and defense (Waldron and Sean DeSai, prior years). One big question is, does Geno have what it takes to elevate the team in the way Peak (cheap) Russell did? Pete has truly gone back to his roots in the "Reload-after-Russell" era we are in.

In 2011, after a 7-9 season out of the playoffs, did you predict the Hawks would go 11-5 and win a playoff game? 2012 was playing with house money on a rookie QB. At the start of 2013 did you feel like the Hawks had something special going and this COULD BE THE YEAR? I sure did, as far as 2013 anyway. I felt it was a team of destiny.

This year, I feel like the Hawks are a near-2012 team, enough to make the playoffs, win a first-round game, but it would take some serious late-season improvement to win a 2nd round playoff game and make the NFCCG. Pete's teams DO have a history of late-season runs, including the 2014 team that went to SB49. Will Leonard Williams be more like a Cliff Avril/Michael Bennett acquisition, or more like a Jadaveon Clowney/Shelby Harris acquisition? Same for other DLs we traded for/signed as Free Agents. Uchenna has been the real deal, more like a Cliff Avril impact, so there's that. Sucks he's out injured for the rest of the year.

My reality check says that NEXT YEAR, 2024, is the do-or-die Team of Destiny year. I think it could also be Pete's final year. I think Pete is targeting 2024 and 2025 for the team to peak. Get a QBOTF in 2024, and peak in his 2nd year. It worked with Russell.

bileever

Reaction score
Very few teams can go from start to finish as the best team in the NFL. Ask the 49ers about that this year. There are also teams that improve during the season, come together and finish strong.

I think about the 2007 Giants back when I was living in NYC. I wasn't a Giants fan, but this was before Game Pass or Fubo, and so I mainly watched the Giants and the Jets on TV. They had made the playoffs the last two years but had been bounced in the wildcard round. The season started terribly (they started 0-2 and were routed by the Packers at home), and there were calls for Tom Coughlin to be fired and for Eli Manning to be replaced on sports radio.

The Giants made it into the playoffs as a wildcard team that year, and then made it to the Super Bowl where they knocked off the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl. It was the David Tyree helmet catch game.

So there is precedent for teams to put things together over the course of a season, and get hot at the right time. I think the Seahawks have the ingredients to be a better team than they've shown so far. You might say that all the Seahawks ever do is make the playoffs and get bounced, but making the playoffs is an important step. Seven wildcard teams have won the Super Bowl. Once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen. Only two teams make it to the big game. It doesn't mean that there are 30 losers.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Very few teams can go from start to finish as the best team in the NFL. Ask the 49ers about that this year. There are also teams that improve during the season, come together and finish strong.

I think about the 2007 Giants back when I was living in NYC. I wasn't a Giants fan, but this was before Game Pass or Fubo, and so I mainly watched the Giants and the Jets on TV. They had made the playoffs the last two years but had been bounced in the wildcard round. The season started terribly (they started 0-2 and were routed by the Packers at home), and there were calls for Tom Coughlin to be fired and for Eli Manning to be replaced on sports radio.

The Giants made it into the playoffs as a wildcard team that year, and then made it to the Super Bowl where they knocked off the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl. It was the David Tyree helmet catch game.

So there is precedent for teams to put things together over the course of a season, and get hot at the right time. I think the Seahawks have the ingredients to be a better team than they've shown so far. You might say that all the Seahawks ever do is make the playoffs and get bounced, but making the playoffs is an important step. Seven wildcard teams have won the Super Bowl. Once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen. Only two teams make it to the big game. It doesn't mean that there are 30 losers.

I hear what your preaching, but its been 8 years now of the samething. I just dont see it changing.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

If two years from now this turned over roster with all this young draft capital is still struggling to be a fringe WC team?

I'll be with you. Until then I'm giving Pete and John much deserved rope.